PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Cubs want A-Rod..

MikeO
10-17-2006, 12:44 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2628823 Lou is pushing hard for it.

We are starting with Carlos Zambrano and that should be a deal breaker for the Yanks. He MUST be involved.

Aramis Ramirez would be a nice second part of the deal. And if you throw him in then maybe the Yanks will be nice enough to take either Wood's or Prior's contract off your hands considering neither can stay healthy and are worthless!

But Zambrano is a must in any deal!

Nappy Roots
10-17-2006, 12:47 AM
i love arod as a player, but the cubs would be stupid to give up Zambrano and Ramy for him.

MikeO
10-17-2006, 01:02 AM
i love arod as a player, but the cubs would be stupid to give up Zambrano and Ramy for him.

why they sucked with Zambrano and Ramirez. They can suck without them. AROD will sell tickets (something the Cubs now have issues with cuase the stadium isn't selling out on "name value" alone). Plus, the current team has done nothing. Time to shake it up and try a new direction.

Nappy Roots
10-17-2006, 01:15 AM
why they sucked with Zambrano and Ramirez. They can suck without them. AROD will sell tickets (something the Cubs now have issues with cuase the stadium isn't selling out on "name value" alone). Plus, the current team has done nothing. Time to shake it up and try a new direction.

i agree, they should try something else. but not by trading their best hitter hitter(who is 28) and their best pitcher(who is 25)...

you dont do that. if they do, their dumb.

MikeO
10-17-2006, 01:26 AM
i agree, they should try something else. but not by trading their best hitter hitter(who is 28) and their best pitcher(who is 25)...

you dont do that. if they do, their dumb.

well how the hell are you gonna get AROD if you don't part with anything? NY isn't giving a guy who is a .300 hitter, with 100+ runs, with around 40+ HR and 130+ RBI's a year away for nothing??

Not to mention a guy who is a 1st ballot hall of fame player and who will break the MLB home run record.

Your gonna have to part with a few pieces to get him. :shakeno:

Nappy Roots
10-17-2006, 01:38 AM
well how the hell are you gonna get AROD if you don't part with anything? NY isn't giving a guy who is a .300 hitter, with 100+ runs, with around 40+ HR and 130+ RBI's a year away for nothing??

Not to mention a guy who is a 1st ballot hall of fame player and who will break the MLB home run record.

Your gonna have to part with a few pieces to get him. :shakeno:

and where did i say any different?

you just cant handle the fact that i wouldnt trade Ramy and Carlos for ARod?

MikeO
10-17-2006, 01:44 AM
:shakeno:
and where did i say any different?

you just cant handle the fact that i wouldnt trade Ramy and Carlos for ARod?

they got nobody left with any value!! :sidelol: :sidelol: :shakeno: :shakeno:

If they don't trade 1 or both of them then I don't see AROD going to the Cubs!

Ray Finkle
10-17-2006, 08:18 AM

Since when? The games are almost always sold out. Cubs fans are very loyal and will see the team no matter what. They have one of the best fan bases around.

UCFinfan86
10-17-2006, 08:27 AM
Ramirez AND Zambrano is to much for Arod. I could see Zambrano/Ramirez, a average player, and a decent prospect

MikeO
10-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Ramirez AND Zambrano is to much for Arod. I could see Zambrano/Ramirez, a average player, and a decent prospect

getting a guy like AROD will take more than average playres and prospects. It's going to take proven players

MikeO
10-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Since when? The games are almost always sold out. Cubs fans are very loyal and will see the team no matter what. They have one of the best fan bases around.

read the link above in this thread

CUBS aren't selling tickets anymore. Lots of empty seats this year.

For the Cubs, whose management experienced the rare and unnerving sight of empty seats at Wrigley Field this past season, the attraction of Rodriguez is obvious. He would immediately strengthen a lineup in dire need of power. He is normally an accomplished defensive player. And despite his postseason difficulties, he has a career .305 batting average and 464 career home runs in 13 major league seasons.

UCFinfan86
10-17-2006, 09:53 AM
getting a guy like AROD will take more than average playres and prospects. It's going to take proven players

Zambrano/Ramirez are allstar players, a decent prospect( i don't know cubs prospects, but proably anyone other then felix pie) and an average player (i can't really think of anyone the cubs have that the yankees would need. They don't need Pierre, Lee is to good to be added with Zambrano/Ramirez and a Propsect)

MikeO
10-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Zambrano/Ramirez are allstar players, a decent prospect( i don't know cubs prospects, but proably anyone other then felix pie) and an average player (i can't really think of anyone the cubs have that the yankees would need. They don't need Pierre, Lee is to good to be added with Zambrano/Ramirez and a Propsect)

I am guessing we will probably take either Wood or Prior and their huge contract off their hands for them, give them payroll relief...but they are gonna have to part with proven things like Zambrano and Ramirez. Not just 1 or the other. Not just average players and prospects.

finswin56
10-17-2006, 10:01 AM
Since when? The games are almost always sold out. Cubs fans are very loyal and will see the team no matter what. They have one of the best fan bases around. No kidding. It's been well publicized that Cubs games have become one of the most difficult ticket to afford. That's the biggest knock that the Cubs fans take. They support the team no matter what, so ownership doesn't have as much incentive to improve the team. Attendance is NOT an issue.

MikeO
10-17-2006, 10:02 AM
No kidding. It's been well publicized that Cubs games have become one of the most difficult ticket to afford. That's the biggest knock that the Cubs fans take. They support the team no matter what, so ownership doesn't have as much incentive to improve the team. Attendance is NOT an issue.

READ THE LINK!!!!!!!!!!!! :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:

finswin56
10-17-2006, 10:03 AM

For the Cubs, whose management experienced the rare and unnerving sight of empty seats at Wrigley Field this past season, the attraction of Rodriguez is obvious. He would immediately strengthen a lineup in dire need of power. He is normally an accomplished defensive player. And despite his postseason difficulties, he has a career .305 batting average and 464 career home runs in 13 major league seasons.I'm pretty sure those tickets are still being sold. They've just become very expensive through the scalpers. I remember a feature about it a few years ago, because Wrigley used to be one of the most affordable tickets. Whatever attendance issues they may have experienced in '06 has less to do with the team than the ticket cost.

FinsNYanksFan13
10-17-2006, 10:54 AM
A-Rod and Carl Pavano for Prior, Zambrano, and Ramirez!

UCFinfan86
10-17-2006, 11:33 AM
I am guessing we will probably take either Wood or Prior and their huge contract off their hands for them, give them payroll relief...but they are gonna have to part with proven things like Zambrano and Ramirez. Not just 1 or the other. Not just average players and prospects.

I thought wood was a FA? i thought i heard rumors about him signing somewhere to be a closer

NJFINSFAN1
10-17-2006, 11:42 AM
The Yanks are not in a great power postion either, teams know the Yanks want him gone, so the price drops some.

UCFinfan86
10-17-2006, 11:54 AM
The Yanks are not in a great power postion either, teams know the Yanks want him gone, so the price drops some.

Well cashman said that they were keeping him, however it most likely was just a ploy. I don't think they necessarily want him gone, i think its more if they get a good offer then ok, but they aren't shopping him

NJFINSFAN1
10-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Well cashman said that they were keeping him, however it most likely was just a ploy. I don't think they necessarily want him gone, i think its more if they get a good offer then ok, but they aren't shopping him

You can bet your bottom dollar, they want him gone.

RWhitney014
10-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Geez, Mike, relax, Nappy doesn't think the Cubs should do the deal. A little touchy there?

Wood is a FA. The Cubs should not trade both Ramirez and Zambrano, but first, Ramirez has to be on the team. If he opts out of his contract, which is entirely possible, he's a FA too. The Cubs would be absolutely dumb to trade Zambrano, even if they are getting A-Rod back. Pitching is still the coin of the land, and the Cubs are not like the Marlins, who could trade Willis and still have plenty of bullets left in the gun as far as pitching is concerned. Zambrano is 25, a workhorse, and a very good pitcher. After that, who do the Cubs have? Rich Hill? 4th starter. Marmol? O'Malley? Marshall? Nothing. If they trade Zambrano for A-Rod at a position where they're fine if they keep Ramirez, they will not win for a long time because they won't have any quality starting pitchers and they won't have the financial latitude to get any because of A-Rod's contract.

Vertical Limit
10-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Cubs don't need A-Rod.

A healthy Derek Lee with Ramirez can carry the Cubs back to the postseason.

If the Cubs really do want A-Rod, a trade for Zambrano and a prospect pitcher would be enough.

Vertical Limit
10-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Geez, Mike, relax, Nappy doesn't think the Cubs should do the deal. A little touchy there?

Wood is a FA. The Cubs should not trade both Ramirez and Zambrano, but first, Ramirez has to be on the team. If he opts out of his contract, which is entirely possible, he's a FA too. The Cubs would be absolutely dumb to trade Zambrano, even if they are getting A-Rod back. Pitching is still the coin of the land, and the Cubs are not like the Marlins, who could trade Willis and still have plenty of bullets left in the gun as far as pitching is concerned. Zambrano is 25, a workhorse, and a very good pitcher. After that, who do the Cubs have? Rich Hill? 4th starter. Marmol? O'Malley? Marshall? Nothing. If they trade Zambrano for A-Rod at a position where they're fine if they keep Ramirez, they will not win for a long time because they won't have any quality starting pitchers and they won't have the financial latitude to get any because of A-Rod's contract.
He's advertizing on how good A-Rod is, perhaps the Yankees should just keep him. I mean, wow, they are letting such a great player go? :rolleyes:

Ray Finkle
10-17-2006, 12:42 PM

For the Cubs, whose management experienced the rare and unnerving sight of empty seats at Wrigley Field this past season, the attraction of Rodriguez is obvious. He would immediately strengthen a lineup in dire need of power. He is normally an accomplished defensive player. And despite his postseason difficulties, he has a career .305 batting average and 464 career home runs in 13 major league seasons.

Here read this article:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20061002&content_id=1695261&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

The Chicago Cubs topped the three million mark (3,123,215) for the third straight year, reaching the second best total in club history.

Over 3 mill fans for one of the worst teams in baseball this year, that's pretty good, huh?

Scalpers are huge in Chicago. If you’ve ever been to a game at Wrigley you’d know it. There at least a hundred people around the park selling tickets, not to mention ticket stands inside people’s houses a block away from Wrigley selling them. On any gameday you can walk up to the box office at Wrigley and will be told they have no tickets, then all you have to do is turn around and walk 1 block away from the stadium and pick wherever you want to sit.

So while there might be empty seats the tickets are still selling out. Like I said before Cub fans are some of the base fans in the game and they'll always stick by their team.

I understand you were just posting the article, but I really don't understand why the article would state something like that when clearly the Cubs don't have an attendance problem. I guess the ones with the problems are the scalpers because they sell tickets for so much.

Blade
10-17-2006, 12:48 PM
As a Reds fan, I hope A-rod stays in NY. But i got the feelin that NY doesnt want to keep him. As long as he goes to a team not in the NL Central unless its the Reds which will never happen, i be happy with it.

AggieFin21
10-17-2006, 03:37 PM
they will not win for a long time because they won't have any quality starting pitchers and they won't have the financial latitude to get any because of A-Rod's contract.

This has been a big issue but as discussed before, A-Rod contract won't be that big of a deal. With what the Rangers are still paying and assuming the Yanks will eat some of the contract as well, the Cubs would only be looking at paying somewhere between $10-15mil.

I also don't think the market is going to go down for A-Rod at all. He's still a Top 5 player in the game today and I have to think all the rumors about LAA, SD and Chicago being interested in him are true. The market is there and the Yanks stand to better themselves considerably by trading A-Rod.

P.S.- I like FinsYanks deal: Zambrano, Ramirez, and Prior for A-Rod and Pavano :D If not, ship him to SD and get Peavy in pinstripes!

<----- HUGE Peavy fan!

RWhitney014
10-17-2006, 06:13 PM
This has been a big issue but as discussed before, A-Rod contract won't be that big of a deal. With what the Rangers are still paying and assuming the Yanks will eat some of the contract as well, the Cubs would only be looking at paying somewhere between $10-15mil.

The Cubs are not going to be able to get the Yankees to pay a lot of the contract. The reason why some teams like LAA or Florida could is because they would be giving New York prospects along with the established players, which means that the Yankees are essentially paying for future production. But Chicago doesn't really have any plum prospects that would intrigue New York. Their best prospect is Felix Pie, a CF, and then a couple of middle infielders (Cedeno, Theriot, and some more) and catchers (Geovany Soto and Jose Reyes), and none of them are headliners like a Chris Young or a Howie Kendrick. A-Rod would cost Chicago about $18 million a year, with small adjustments over the next few years, as Texas' payments fluctuate by a million or so each year.

Roman529
10-17-2006, 08:25 PM
I believe the Cubs are still owned by the Tribune Company and they are notoriously cheap....just look at how they never seem to make any improvements to Wrigley Field. That is why Steve Stone, Chip Carey and others were always critical of the team/owner as broadcasters. I don't see them going after a guy like A-Rod and bringing in that contract, unless the Yankees are willing to pay a good part of his salary over there?

phinphan896
10-17-2006, 08:27 PM
i dont belive it

dominizzo
10-17-2006, 09:09 PM
trade Prior

Ray Finkle
10-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Here's an interesting deal I had in mind:

Arod for Scott Rolen and Wainwright/Reyes.

Rolen isn't on speaking terms with LaRussa. He's a big right handed bat when healthy and a better 3rd basemen than Arod.

Just a thought.

UCFinfan86
10-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Here's an interesting deal I had in mind:

Arod for Scott Rolen and Wainwright/Reyes.

Rolen isn't on speaking terms with LaRussa. He's a big right handed bat when healthy and a better 3rd basemen than Arod.

Just a thought.

Is that enough?? Rolen is 31 and has a history of injuries

Ray Finkle
10-17-2006, 11:21 PM
Is that enough?? Rolen is 31 and has a history of injuries

Arod is 30.

I don't think that if the Yankees trade Arod they're going to get a lot back for him. Definitely not a big time pitcher like a Zambrino and a big bat like Ramirez.

I think the Arod to the Cards trade is pretty even for both teams, and makes sense.

MikeO
10-17-2006, 11:59 PM
Arod is 30.

I don't think that if the Yankees trade Arod they're going to get a lot back for him. Definitely not a big time pitcher like a Zambrino and a big bat like Ramirez.

I think the Arod to the Cards trade is pretty even for both teams, and makes sense.

ST.LOUIS is gonna pay both Arod and Pujlos??? I don't see that

I want no part of Rolen and all of those injuries!

MikeO
10-18-2006, 12:00 AM
AROD could go to LAA tomorrow and we could get Ervin Santana and a prospect. Or Santana and Figgins. Or Santana and Sheilds. That rumor has been out there so much there has to be SOME truth to it.

So, I am guessing any offer from the Cubs would have to beat that.

And AROD for Peavy. Then SD go out and sign Zito. That sounds reasonable and realistic as well.

UCFinfan86
10-18-2006, 12:10 AM
AROD could go to LAA tomorrow and we could get Ervin Santana and a prospect. Or Santana and Figgins. Or Santana and Sheilds. That rumor has been out there so much there has to be SOME truth to it.

And AROD for Peavy. Then SD go out and sign Zito. That sounds reasonable and realistic as well.

I thoguht trades couldn't be done until after the playoffs where over

FinsNYanksFan13
10-18-2006, 12:20 AM
I thoguht trades couldn't be done until after the playoffs where over

No you could make a trade right now if you wanted. Most teams don't because they respect the MLB playoffs and because they like to see how the market shapes up (plus wait to see what teams picks up options, what players pick options, who gets declined, ect.). Thing will start to heat up at the general manager meetings in November!

Ray Finkle
10-18-2006, 12:28 AM

Like all those Manny rumors last year?

Anyway SD will have to sign Zito first before they can trade Peavy.

If Arod is traded at all he won't go until mid-December, the earliest.

AggieFin21
10-18-2006, 01:05 AM
Man I love the mental image of Jake Peavy in pinstripes. But Finkle is right, they'd have to sign Zito before they made that trade.

I'm also not a big fan of the STL trade, but I have heard it mentioned before (Rolen and Wainwright/Reyes). I've also heard Chris Carpenter's name thrown in there as well. If it's just Rolen and one of the pitchers then I think we can get more elsewhere. With Rolen you don't get quite as much offensive production but you get better defense. Then again you don't need as much offense with our surrounding cast. But you do have to deal with injuries. Still, I think we'd find more elsewhere...

FinsNYanksFan13
10-18-2006, 01:27 AM
Carl Pavano and A-Rod to the Braves for Tim Hudson and Chipper Jones with the Yankees taking on some money. Just trying to throw ideas out there of the type of deal I would look for if I ran the Yankees!

Nappy Roots
10-18-2006, 01:36 AM
Carl Pavano and A-Rod to the Braves for Tim Hudson and Chipper Jones with the Yankees taking on some money. Just trying to throw ideas out there of the type of deal I would look for if I ran the Yankees!

you would do that?

Hudson was pretty bad last year, and Chipper Jones might on the downside of his career with all these injuries.

personally if I was the yankees, id take my chances with Pavano. ARod is going to out perform Chipper. and you most likely would have to pick up some of the money from ARod if you traded him. so money shouldnt be a concern.

FinsNYanksFan13
10-18-2006, 02:05 AM
you would do that?

Hudson was pretty bad last year, and Chipper Jones might on the downside of his career with all these injuries.

personally if I was the yankees, id take my chances with Pavano. ARod is going to out perform Chipper. and you most likely would have to pick up some of the money from ARod if you traded him. so money shouldnt be a concern.

I would do that trade. Hudson battled injury's this year but I think he's proven to be a better pitcher then he was this year and as for Chipper, I'd take a chance on him. He'll come here and do his job. He's low maintenance and a good teammate so I would definitely do this trade even though Chipper's 34!

MikeO
10-18-2006, 08:38 AM

Not the type of deal NY wants. Chipper is old and always injured. Hudsen was awful in the NL last year, in the AL he might get destroyed at this stage in his career..

Cashman has said numerous times he wants to get younger. This is the type of deal that NY will avoid I think

Motion
10-18-2006, 09:14 AM

As a Yankees fan, I'd be EXTREMELY disappointed if they made that trade.

MikeO
10-18-2006, 09:18 AM
NY Post has an article saying the Cubs have no shot. That Aramis Ramirez almost can't be traded cause he can opt out of his contract and be a FA. And they don't think the Cubs would trade Zambrano.

LAA and a deal with Ervin Santana as the center-piece is still the likely trade with AROD.

MikeO
10-18-2006, 09:46 AM
White Sox are another team being mentioned for AROD the Daily News reports.

The main pieces being Buherle and McCarthey...etc. They don't think AROD will waive his no trade clause though because of what Ozzie Guilllen said last year before the WBC about Arod not playing for the Dominican.

If the Yanks could get the Cubs and White Sox in a little in-city bidding war that would be great for their leverage

RWhitney014
10-18-2006, 12:22 PM
I don't think you can make trades right now, because the teams still playing certainly can't, and every team has to have a fair chance of acquiring every player. I'm pretty sure the first day you can make trades and sign free agents is the day after the 15-day moratorium for FA filing after the World Series ends.

You can claim players off waivers now, though. Waivers are always available, no matter the time of year.

This is a guess, by the way, except for the last part.

FinsNYanksFan13
10-18-2006, 12:47 PM
I don't think you can make trades right now, because the teams still playing certainly can't, and every team has to have a fair chance of acquiring every player. I'm pretty sure the first day you can make trades and sign free agents is the day after the 15-day moratorium for FA filing after the World Series ends.

You can claim players off waivers now, though. Waivers are always available, no matter the time of year.

This is a guess, by the way, except for the last part.

There are no restrictions, you can make trades right now!

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061014&content_id=1713336&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

Read the second to last queston. It surprises me to that their allowing trades but trades never happen during these times and since they never happen, I guess it doesn't matter!

MikeO
10-18-2006, 01:59 PM
nobody makes trades now because they don't want to steal headlines from the teams left playing. Just a common curtosy. But if they wanted too they can!!

Nothnig will happen till Thanksgiving time anyway. Teams usually do a self-inventory and map out a battle plan that takes a few weeks to a month after the season.

RWhitney014
10-18-2006, 02:39 PM
Guess you can. Probably has to do more with that there's no market right now because there are no free agents. No one would have any leverage. Oh, well, fall meetings, here we come.

djfresh47
10-18-2006, 03:36 PM
If they don't pick up Buehrle's option he's a free agent. I don't think the Sox want to go into next season with the same rotation. Unless the Sox are in love with Haeger I don't think they're trading McCarthy. Maybe if Uribe is in jail Kenny Williams may get desperate. The Angels got alot of prospects so if A-Rod is dealt I think he goes there.