PDA

View Full Version : Beaks, Brains Found In Pet Food

Celtkin
10-17-2006, 07:29 AM
[Local6.com (http://www.local6.com/news/10091600/detail.html)] Dog owners who make sure their pets eat right and exercise may be unknowingly feeding their pets ground animal parts, including crushed bird beaks and brains, and possibly making them sick, according to a Local 6 News investigation.

The report said that the government agency that oversees pet food sold to the public -- the Food and Drug Administration -- said it is perfectly legal to include animal parts in pets' diets.

"It could be anything from heads, feet, intestines and undigested eggs," veterinary nutritionist Dr. Edward Moser said.

"Experts admit the labels (on pet foods) are not that graphic," Local 6's Mike Holfeld said. "The companies use terms like animal or poultry byproducts and not brains or crushed beaks."

Central Floridian John Pavano said he was not aware he was buying pet food with the animal parts in it for his dogs.

"Did you know (the ingredients)?" Holfeld asked.

"I never knew that," Pavano said. "I never even looked at the labels. I think that is kind of gross. Actually, I can't believe they let dogs eat that stuff."

cnc66
10-17-2006, 07:35 AM
[Local6.com (http://www.local6.com/news/10091600/detail.html)] Dog owners who make sure their pets eat right and exercise may be unknowingly feeding their pets ground animal parts, including crushed bird beaks and brains, and possibly making them sick, according to a Local 6 News investigation.

The report said that the government agency that oversees pet food sold to the public -- the Food and Drug Administration -- said it is perfectly legal to include animal parts in pets' diets.

"It could be anything from heads, feet, intestines and undigested eggs," veterinary nutritionist Dr. Edward Moser said.

"Experts admit the labels (on pet foods) are not that graphic," Local 6's Mike Holfeld said. "The companies use terms like animal or poultry byproducts and not brains or crushed beaks."

Central Floridian John Pavano said he was not aware he was buying pet food with the animal parts in it for his dogs.

"Did you know (the ingredients)?" Holfeld asked.

"I never knew that," Pavano said. "I never even looked at the labels. I think that is kind of gross. Actually, I can't believe they let dogs eat that stuff."

fried brains at a good Cuban restaurant mmm mm

what do wild cats and dogs eat???? applying OUR prejudice to the contents of animal chow is silly

Celtkin
10-17-2006, 07:48 AM
fried brains at a good Cuban restaurant mmm mm

what do wild cats and dogs eat???? applying OUR prejudice to the contents of animal chow is silly

That's just it, bro. It is our prejudice and what we believe is appropriate to eat. We lord over our pets and want what we believe to be the 'best' for them.

I was most amused by the 'undigested eggs' reference and, for myself, prefer the undigested eggs over the alternative. :yes:

cnc66
10-17-2006, 08:01 AM
That's just it, bro. It is our prejudice and what we believe is appropriate to eat. We lord over our pets and want what we believe to be the 'best' for them.

I was most amused by the 'undigested eggs' reference and, for myself, prefer the undigested eggs over the alternative. :yes:

digested eggs = poop

Timmy54
10-17-2006, 10:52 AM
most dogs eat poop from the yard, i find it hard to believe a dog can not stomach some brain.