PDA

View Full Version : School bans tag, other chase games

BAMAPHIN 22
10-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Officials at an elementary school south of Boston have banned kids from playing tag, touch football and any other unsupervised chase game during recess for fear they'll get hurt and hold the school liable.

Recess is "a time when accidents can happen," said Willett Elementary School Principal Gaylene Heppe, who approved the ban.

While there is no districtwide ban on contact sports during recess, local rules have been cropping up. Several school administrators around Attleboro, a city of about 45,000 residents, took aim at dodgeball a few years ago, saying it was exclusionary and dangerous.

Elementary schools in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and Spokane, Washington, also recently banned tag during recess. A suburban Charleston, South Carolina, school outlawed all unsupervised contact sports.

"I think that it's unfortunate that kids' lives are micromanaged and there are social skills they'll never develop on their own," said Debbie Laferriere, who has two children at Willett, about 40 miles south of Boston. "Playing tag is just part of being a kid."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/18/no.tag.ap/index.html

greatwade
10-18-2006, 10:49 AM
anyone else initially read that as tea bag?

initially means 'at first' spray.

Stitches
10-18-2006, 10:49 AM
That is completely stupid. If I couldn't play tag or touch football as a kid I may have cried.

Noodle Arm
10-18-2006, 10:52 AM
So I guess recess will consist of kids sitting down doing nothing? Man I grew up at the right time

Lappy
10-18-2006, 10:55 AM
So I guess recess will consist of kids sitting down doing nothing? Man I grew up at the right time

getting felt up by Mr. Johnson?

Mike13
10-18-2006, 10:58 AM
WTF? Where's the fun in that?

byroan
10-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Why have recess at all?

Blade
10-18-2006, 11:01 AM
that insane. too bad my school didnt ban tag, i sucked at tag. it was too hard to understand rules.

mor911
10-18-2006, 11:02 AM
See, that's why I'm gonna beat my kids... For no good reason, I'll just beat 'em. Toughen those lil sum ******* up since their classmates can't.... Freakin cry baby schools.

greatwade
10-18-2006, 11:02 AM
it says nothing about grab-***. Cut to the chase and you are golden.

Gawd I really should be an educator. All girls school perhaps. All between 17-20. Troubled, gotta be troubled.

But they'd probably ban apples then. Damn Puritans. I was still gonna eat it.

Lappy
10-18-2006, 11:03 AM
See, that's why I'm gonna beat my kids... For no good reason, I'll just beat 'em. Toughen those lil sum ******* up since their classmates can't.... Freakin cry baby schools.

remind me to knock you up when we meet......you'll make a great mama for my baby's!

DrAstroZoom
10-18-2006, 11:44 AM
That is completely stupid. If I couldn't play tag or touch football as a kid I may have cried.

I couldn't, and I did. :boohoo:

j/k :D

Timmy54
10-18-2006, 12:11 PM
i would only play with girls, and back then they tought that was strange!! shows them gayfers.

lazareth
10-18-2006, 01:07 PM
it is hard to blame just the schools...it is the current PC and lawsuit happy climate that they find themselves in

Roman529
10-18-2006, 03:01 PM
God, what is this world coming to? :shakeno:

I would hate to be a kid today.

UltraDol-Fan
10-18-2006, 03:18 PM
I'd hate to be a kid today too, unless my teacher was that Lefave chick

unifiedtheory
10-18-2006, 04:27 PM
And they wonder why half the kids nowadays are fat.

During recess and lunch we'd play full contact tackle football, rain or shine all year around. It was great getting filthy dirty and have to go back for the after lunch classes.

Lappy
10-18-2006, 04:29 PM

During recess and lunch we'd play full contact tackle football, rain or shine all year around. It was great getting filthy dirty and have to go back for the after lunch classes.

and smoke weed all day eh ya BC born Hippy???? :tantrum:

Majpain
10-18-2006, 04:29 PM

Me too.

Shula Come Back!
10-18-2006, 05:37 PM
This is ridiculous! Can you counter sue people that are going to sue for stupid reason???

Noodle Arm
10-18-2006, 05:47 PM
I already have it all planned out, when I have kids...I'm going to sue the school because homework causes unwanted emotional distress on my child. School work should stay in school and not in the home! I could make me a bundle! :D :yes:

maddendude
10-18-2006, 08:11 PM

yea

Smear the Queer too...or it mightve ben called Smear the Clear, or something like that...whatever it was...that was fun.

I played baseball for years, and from diving I scrapped both my elbows badly, they were totally bloody...all i did was....blow the dirt off, whipe the blood off my pants, spit on it, whipe it again, and then I took my lead off, and that was about it. and I turned out fine. Infact i messed up both my knees the same way, but by sliding.

Kids these days are all sissies. they play friggin computer games all day and speak 1337 and never play any sports.

Ray Finkle
10-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Geez I remember growing up and having Dodge Ball banned at school, while I was pissed at the time I could understand why. But tag and touch football? Give me a break. What's wrong with the world today?

miamikid92
10-18-2006, 09:14 PM
atleast they have recess! we dont get it from 4th and up!

Mike13
10-19-2006, 12:45 AM
Does anyone remember Manhunt? Now that was a great game!

unifiedtheory
10-19-2006, 01:31 AM
and smoke weed all day eh ya BC born Hippy???? :tantrum:

Yes, because the only people on Earth that smoke pot were born in B.C.?

BTW...I have not touched weed since I was 15 years old.