PDA

View Full Version : Chris Rock's mom: Cracker Barrel discriminated

BAMAPHIN 22
10-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Rose Rock, the mother of comedian Chris Rock, claims she was racially discriminated against when she was seated but ignored for a half hour at a Cracker Barrel restaurant along the South Carolina coast.

Rock said Tuesday she planned to sue the Lebanon, Tennessee-based company. A Cracker Barrel spokeswoman said the restaurant chain was investigating and taking the complaint "very seriously."

Cracker Barrel has in the past faced numerous lawsuits and a federal inquiry over complaints of refusing to serve black customers, discriminating against minority workers and firing gay employees. The company has taken steps to rebuild its folksy image and reach out to minorities.

Rock, who is from Georgetown, said she and her 21-year-old daughter were the only blacks at the chain's Murrells Inlet restaurant in April. She said when she asked the manager about the delay she was told they could have a free meal.

"He never called over the waitresses and asked, 'Why did these people sit here for a half hour without service?' " she said. "The only thing he said was we could have a free meal and neither of us wanted to eat."

Cracker Barrel spokeswoman Julie Davis said the company doesn't "tolerate any form of discrimination."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/18/chrisrockmom.discrimin.ap/index.html

greatwade
10-18-2006, 11:04 AM
on behalf of Crackers, I'd like to offer Miss Rock a warm
glass of shut the hell up.

boo flippin hoo. You had to wait. Fine let her sue. Make her wait
33 years in the courtroom though. And insert the settlement square...
excuse me. But I happen to enjoy crack barrels.

BAMAPHIN 22
10-18-2006, 11:07 AM
on behalf of Crackers, I'd like to offer Miss Rock a warm
glass of shut the hell up.

boo flippin hoo. You had to wait. Fine let her sue. Make her wait
33 years in the courtroom though. And insert the settlement square...
excuse me. But I happen to enjoy crack barrels.

:eek: :shakeno:

greatwade
10-18-2006, 11:10 AM
:eek: :shakeno:
sorry, that was a typo, should have read on behalf of Cracker Barrel. And again, Barrel. I not a good typer.

Love your work though Bama, you bring the news, really bring it. Don't post too much, so I certainly enjoy the pop & shake. :hi5: Still pals I hope. I meant no disrespect. Waiting sure does suck. Free meals are cool though, huh?

dreday
10-18-2006, 11:21 AM
For the record Id be pretty pissed too if I didnt get any service after 30 minutes of waiting.Ive eaten there before, and didnt have any problems but maybe not so much anymore.Ooops on Cracker Barrell this probably wouldnt have gotten any press if it wasnt Ms Rock.Now the Barrell has to suck it up and possibly lose some money and business.:rolleyes2

Pagan
10-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Wow...she had to wait 30 minutes.

Geez, I wish I knew I could sue every retaurant I've ever had to wait in. I'd be stinking rich. :rolleyes:

Blade
10-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Wow...she had to wait 30 minutes.

Geez, I wish I knew I could sue every retaurant I've ever had to wait in. I'd be stinking rich. :rolleyes:

lol, yea tell me about. a whole 30 mins, must have felt like a lifetime.

Mike13
10-18-2006, 12:07 PM
I've waited an hour at a Fridays once.

Timmy54
10-18-2006, 12:08 PM
hint, the place is called Cracker barrel. Might give ya a clue that you should maybe not expect the greatest service

Motion
10-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Never been a big fan of the name of that place.

UltraDol-Fan
10-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Here is what she should have done....LEFT! If I don't see the waiter/waitress after I'm seated in 15 minutes I leave!

DrAstroZoom
10-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Good thing she wasn't a black lesbian ... that particularl establishment doesn't have the best track record with the homosexual community, either.

dreday
10-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Here is what she should have done....LEFT! If I don't see the waiter/waitress after I'm seated in 15 minutes I leave!
Totally agree...I wonder if they were acknowledged at all...If they werent then I could see how they would be pissed.If they were assured service then they defintely had that option.

UltraDol-Fan
10-18-2006, 12:53 PM
yeah, the only way I would agree with a lawsuit is if she walked to the greeter and he said her table would be ready in a minute and then just never got back with her.

Lappy
10-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Good thing she wasn't a black lesbian ... that particularl establishment doesn't have the best track record with the homosexual community, either.

but it has the best meatloaf that's why I keep going back

DrAstroZoom
10-18-2006, 12:55 PM
She will need to prove that her lack of service was because she was black.

lazareth
10-18-2006, 12:56 PM
i wonder if the manager offering the free meal was because she wasn't a cracker (in the southern sense) and all the previous racial problems the chain had...if i had waited 30 minutes they probably would have just said sorry and maybe threw in a gift certificate or a free dessert...with her the guy immediately went straight for the comp'd meal

for the record, having worked in many a restaurant...it is usually frowned upon for the manager to berate the employee in front of the customer

Pagan
10-18-2006, 01:29 PM
yeah, the only way I would agree with a lawsuit is if she walked to the greeter and he said her table would be ready in a minute and then just never got back with her.
I wouldn't agree with a lawsuit under ANY circumstance other than the waiter spilling boiling soup into her eyes.

That's one of the many problems with this country today. Whiny crybabies sue every time they don't get their way.

F'ing pathetic.

FinaciousOne
10-18-2006, 02:04 PM
but it has the best meatloaf that's why I keep going back

I try not to let my meatloaf.

Roman529
10-18-2006, 03:04 PM
After 15 minutes she should have left and gone to Dennys or Village Inn. Why wait around? :confused:

DrAstroZoom
10-18-2006, 03:07 PM
After 15 minutes she should have left and gone to Dennys or Village Inn. Why wait around? :confused:

(WARNING: Satiric content ahead)

Are you kidding? They probably would have beaten her with night sticks at Denny's!

Roman529
10-18-2006, 03:08 PM
(WARNING: Satiric content ahead)

Are you kidding? They probably would have beaten her with night sticks at Denny's!

No, that was the old Dennys. :rolleyes:

Shula Come Back!
10-18-2006, 05:49 PM
Is there any way that Chris will involve this incident in one of his skits. Because then at least something good and funny would come out of it!

Dolfan984
10-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Wow I've had to wait longer than 30 minutes before for a meal.

I can't believe race is being thrown into this. Throwing out the race card for the wrong reasons is almost as bad as racism itself.

cnc66
10-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Never been a big fan of the name of that place.

hmmm, did you know that for centuries, crackers were stored and shipped in barrels...maybe millenia. It is a logical, clever name for a place to eat. People would sit on the cracker barrels inside the trading posts as a chair. It was generally close to the counter and was said to be a favorite seat for chatting with the store keep.

do you know WHY Floridians got the nickname "crackers" ? They were cowhunters...Florida "cowboys". They hunted the cattle out of the palmettos with "healers" (cowdogs that would nip at the heels of the cattle to move them out of the scrub) and long bullwhips. They would literally "crack" the cattle out of the palmetto scrub, a very rugged place to work.

Rocky Raccoon
10-18-2006, 06:18 PM
Wow I've had to wait longer than 30 minutes before for a meal.

I can't believe race is being thrown into this. Throwing out the race card for the wrong reasons is almost as bad as racism itself.
I've been saying this for a while now, and I'm glad someone else agrees with me.

phinpunk14
10-18-2006, 06:50 PM
I'd be more than glad to wait 30 minutes for a free meal.

Noodle Arm
10-18-2006, 06:53 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/10/bobbybrownmug2sized-1.jpg
"Wait, did someone say Crackhead Barrel?"

Seriously though, I agree with Dolfan984, the race card is sometimes thrown out with reckless abandon.

cnc66
10-18-2006, 07:03 PM
http://www.nndb.com/people/132/000023063/bobby-brown-mug-2-sized.jpg
"Wait, did someone say Crackhead Barrel?"

Seriously though, I agree with Dolfan984, the race card is sometimes thrown out with reckless abandon.

buh..buh..bobby buhrown

FinaciousOne
10-18-2006, 07:06 PM
do you know WHY Floridians got the nickname "crackers" ? They were cowhunters...Florida "cowboys". They hunted the cattle out of the palmettos with "healers" (cowdogs that would nip at the heels of the cattle to move them out of the scrub) and long bullwhips. They would literally "crack" the cattle out of the palmetto scrub, a very rugged place to work.

The hot sun would give them "rednecks".
Sometimes when they'd start swinging those long bullwhips, they might accidently hit someone standing to close.
Hence the warning:"You'd better lookout them redneck crackers!"*

*As a fifth generation Floridian, I can joke about it.:wink:

miamikid92
10-18-2006, 07:08 PM
im sick of black people crying about rascism even if rascism has nothing to do with the problem, its getting ridiculous
the other day a teacher asked me in health what word comes to mind when you think of aids and i said africa a black kid started crying saying "white people blame everything on black people"

greatwade
10-18-2006, 07:48 PM
sweet the bigot thread. What do you guys think of the dutch? I hate them. Fooking two lips.

dreday
10-18-2006, 07:53 PM
im sick of black people crying about rascism even if rascism has nothing to do with the problem, its getting ridiculous
the other day a teacher asked me in health what word comes to mind when you think of aids and i said africa a black kid started crying saying "white people blame everything on black people"
Ok..Im not saying its racism but how do you know its not?

Rocky Raccoon
10-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Ok..Im not saying its racism but how do you know its not?

no one knows for sure Dre, but you know that there are tons of people in this world of all races that try and pull that crap.

dreday
10-18-2006, 07:58 PM
no one knows for sure Dre, but you know that there are tons of people in this world of all races that try and pull that crap.
Well I wasnt really talking about that.Yes some try to pull the race card, but at the same time racism is real and does exist.

Rocky Raccoon
10-18-2006, 07:59 PM
Well I wasnt really talking about that.Yes some try to pull the race card, but at the same time racism is real and does exist.

oh I completely understand that. I know it exists. All I was saying is that people do try to use the race card any chance they get it seems.

dreday
10-18-2006, 08:07 PM
oh I completely understand that. I know it exists. All I was saying is that people do try to use the race card any chance they get it seems.
I understand...but you dont just blow off the issue because some people do it,alot of times it really is racism.Not to get this thread to far away from topic of course.

bg34
10-18-2006, 08:07 PM
It is strange that they waited a half hour AFTER being seated. I'm sure it's because where I live, but that's never happenend to me. Add the fact that they were the ONLY black people in the restaurant. I can see her gripe.

d-day
10-18-2006, 08:11 PM
sweet the bigot thread. What do you guys think of the dutch? I hate them. Fooking two lips.

no opinion, but those canadians creep me out - with their beady lil eyes and heavy smell of pickles...

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

freak!

Ray Finkle
10-18-2006, 08:24 PM
no opinion, but those canadians creep me out - with their beady lil eyes and heavy smell of pickles...

I agree I mean look at these people:

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

DonShula84
10-18-2006, 10:03 PM
I wouldn't agree with a lawsuit under ANY circumstance other than the waiter spilling boiling soup into her eyes.

That's one of the many problems with this country today. Whiny crybabies sue every time they don't get their way.

F'ing pathetic.

So you wouldnt support the lawsuit if it could be proven that she wasnt being served because she is black? I have no way of knowing if that was the case or not, and I dont know that she should immediately assume that's the case. But she would every right to sue under this scenario and not be called a pathetic cry baby by you.

Pagan
10-19-2006, 09:35 AM
So you wouldnt support the lawsuit if it could be proven that she wasnt being served because she is black? I have no way of knowing if that was the case or not, and I dont know that she should immediately assume that's the case. But she would every right to sue under this scenario and not be called a pathetic cry baby by you.
Don, get real. I've waited MANY times for 30 minutes to get served in retaurants. Right off the bat she's screaming it's because she's black and first thing she does is sue.

Even if it WAS because she was black...suing?. Why does this entitle her to MONEY? I think the restaurant should be held responsible in some way if this IS the case, but what about her wiating 30 minutes entitles her to MONEY?

I guess we should also give those three fat black kids who sued McDonald's for making them fat money also?

C'mon man. That's the first reaction now to anything. Race card and lawsuit.

It's ridiculous.

Timmy54
10-19-2006, 10:03 AM

http://www.greaton.com/loveyou.jpg

freak!

but they do bring us better beer, so they are ok!!!