PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Stingray leaps from water, strikes boater

Celtkin
10-18-2006, 08:58 PM
[Floridatoday.com (http://floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061018/BREAKINGNEWS/61018040/1086)] An 81-year-old man suffered serious injuries Wednesday afternoon when a stingray leaped into his small, recreational boat and stung him in the chest, Lighthouse Point fire officials said, according to a report by The Miami Herald.

Lighthouse Point, in Broward County, is south of Boca Raton in South Florida.

The man, whose name was not released, was enjoying the sunny afternoon with two family members when the stingray emerged from the water. It slid across the bow of the boat and then struck the man, leaving a foot-long barb lodged in his chest, authorities said.

The ray, a spotted eagle ray, was at least three feet wide, according to acting Chief David Donzella, a Lighthouse Point fire spokesman.

''This certainly doesn't happen very often,'' Donzella said. ``It's very odd that the thing jumped out of the water and stung him on the boat.''

When fire-rescue officials arrived, the barb was still in the man's chest. He was conscious and breathing, but in extreme pain from the toxins, Donzella said.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
First it was Steve Irwin and now this. It seems that the stingrays have found an effective way to send a clear message to stay the heck out of their water. :tantrum::wink:

Silverphin
10-18-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm starting to think that Stingrays are starting to become more aggressive.

TotoreMexico
10-18-2006, 09:13 PM
Holy crap!:eek:

Rocky Raccoon
10-18-2006, 09:22 PM
this is why I hate being on water.

Majpain
10-18-2006, 09:28 PM
this is why I hate being on water.

:yeahthat:

dominizzo
10-18-2006, 10:11 PM
WooW these stingrays are getting nasty

Mike13
10-19-2006, 12:43 AM
The Sting Rays have joined the axis of evil animals.

inFINSible
10-19-2006, 07:19 AM
In all the years I've been on the water, I've only seen a ray jump into the air maybe 5 times.....and only two of them were the size they say this one was.....but.....they do do it, and I guess if you're unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, they could land in your boat. I have heard of that happening before also, in Ft Myers and, IIRC, it landed on a child in the bow of the boat and killed the kid. but they don't jump out of the water to attack, they just like to jump out of the water every now and again....it's not agression at all.

Motion
10-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Wierd, I've never heard of them jumping out of the water at all.

Timmy54
10-19-2006, 09:24 AM
stingrays and squirls taking over the world by land and sea.

UltraDol-Fan
10-19-2006, 10:14 AM
wow, that's pretty unbelievable

Amars
10-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Jumping stingrays. Never heard of that.

PhinzN703
10-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Jumping stingrays. Never heard of that.

I saw it happen in Mexico, but it wasnt anything to be alarmed about. These in Mexico were Manta Rays. Swam right with us. The occasionally jumped out of the water just like Dolphins do.

They's just having some fun too

Blade
10-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Wow, a case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

If that sting ray would have jumped on my boat, i would have karate kicked it in the head and threw it overboard.

trate121hb
10-19-2006, 02:27 PM
[Floridatoday.com (http://floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061018/BREAKINGNEWS/61018040/1086)] An 81-year-old man suffered serious injuries Wednesday afternoon when a stingray leaped into his small, recreational boat and stung him in the chest, Lighthouse Point fire officials said, according to a report by The Miami Herald.

Lighthouse Point, in Broward County, is south of Boca Raton in South Florida.

The man, whose name was not released, was enjoying the sunny afternoon with two family members when the stingray emerged from the water. It slid across the bow of the boat and then struck the man, leaving a foot-long barb lodged in his chest, authorities said.

The ray, a spotted eagle ray, was at least three feet wide, according to acting Chief David Donzella, a Lighthouse Point fire spokesman.

''This certainly doesn't happen very often,'' Donzella said. ``It's very odd that the thing jumped out of the water and stung him on the boat.''

When fire-rescue officials arrived, the barb was still in the man's chest. He was conscious and breathing, but in extreme pain from the toxins, Donzella said.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
First it was Steve Irwin and now this. It seems that the stingrays have found an effective way to send a clear message to stay the heck out of their water. :tantrum::wink:

he was out of the water!!! this is nuts

BAMAPHIN 22
10-19-2006, 03:41 PM
An 81-year-old boater was in critical condition Thursday after a stingray flopped onto his boat and stung him, leaving a foot-long barb in his chest in an incident recalling the one that killed Australian TV naturalist Steve Irwin last month.

“It was a freak accident,” said Lighthouse Point acting fire Chief David Donzella. “It’s very odd that the thing jumped out of the water and stung him. We still can’t believe it.”

James Bertakis, of Lighthouse Point, Fla., was on the water with his granddaughter and a friend Wednesday when the spotted eagle stingray flopped onto the boat and stung Bertakis as he tried to throw it overboard. The women steered the boat to shore and called 911.

Bertakis, who also suffered a collapsed lung, underwent surgery overnight and surgeons were able to remove the 2.5 inch barb, which had penetrated the wall of his heart.

Doctors were able to remove the barb by eventually pulling it through his heart and closing the wound, said Dr. Eugene Costantini at Broward General Medical Center.

He said Bertakis’ case was different from Irwin’s because the barb stayed in Bertakis’ heart and was not immediately pulled out. Videotape of Irwin’s last moments shows him pulling the barb from his chest.

Ellen Pikitch, a University of Miami marine biology professor who has been studying stingrays for decades, said they are generally docile.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15321718/

unluckyluciano
10-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....next thing u know ducks are going to be carrying dillingers.

Anywho, lets see how many idiots start to needlessly kill stringrays out of fear.