PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Most want Bonds to fall short of Aaron

BAMAPHIN 22
10-19-2006, 03:45 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/10/060816_bonds_hlarg_8phlarge-1.jpg (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14384544/displaymode/1176/rstry/15330221/)

Half of baseball fans are rooting against Barry Bonds in his bid to break Hank Aaron’s career home run record. That said, it’s getting tough to find anyone rooting for the sport at all these days.

An AP-AOL Sports poll released Thursday shows that only one-third of Americans call themselves fans of professional baseball — about the level of support for the last decade, but lower than 1990.

And they see another problem competing with steroids: stratospheric salaries.

Brandon Inge of the World Series-bound Detroit Tigers was surprised to hear that only 32 percent of Americans consider themselves fans.
“That sounds a little low to me,” the third baseman said. “It’s America’s pastime.”

So is rooting against Bonds, it appears. The poll showed 48 percent of fans want the San Francisco star to fall short of Aaron’s mark; 33 percent would like Bonds to break it and another 16 percent said they didn’t care.

Bonds has hit 734 homers and is closing in on Aaron’s total of 755. Shadowed by steroid allegations and slowed by injuries, Bonds homered 26 times this season.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15330221/

AggieFin21
10-19-2006, 04:48 PM
...Good!

WarriorWelker83
10-22-2006, 10:20 AM
Why would anyone want a clear cheater, who's an arrogant, selfish punk to surpass a class act like Hank Aaron on ANY list? I'd rather see Barry Bonds get in a private plane and smash into a San Francisco skyrise. But....i dont think he'd fit.

muscle979
10-22-2006, 10:52 AM
I'm against him breaking the record too. Hank Aaron was a class act and a Brave so I'm all for his record standing.

WarriorWelker83
10-22-2006, 11:12 AM
I wasn't knocking Corey Lidle in my last post either....it was more of a "why cant Barry Bonds have a pilots license" comment.

MikeO
10-22-2006, 01:06 PM
The night Bonds breaks that record. I don't care if its in April, May, June, July, August, September, or October.........it will be the highest rated show in the history of FOX or TBS, or ESPN. (whiever network gets it)

It will do a super bowl type rating

finswin56
10-22-2006, 01:17 PM
The night Bonds breaks that record. I don't care if its in April, May, June, July, August, September, or October.........it will be the highest rated show in the history of FOX or TBS, or ESPN. (whiever network gets it)

It will do a super bowl type ratingI'm not so sure. I think a lot of fans have become apathetic towards anything to do with Bonds. It'll be interesting, I actually think it will be one of the least celebrated (by the fans), and most anticlimactic major individual sporting event in quite some time.

MikeO
10-22-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm not so sure. I think a lot of fans have become apathetic towards anything to do with Bonds. It'll be interesting, I actually think it will be one of the least celebrated (by the fans), and most anticlimactic major individual sporting event in quite some time.

but the media hype he will get when he gets within 1 home run or ties it will be huge.

Will Aaron be there??? Will the fans boo? Will the fans cheer??? What will he say at home plate after he breaks it?

People will tune in at record levels.

UCFinfan86
10-22-2006, 07:19 PM
If i am home, i will watch it just because its such a huge event. But i will by no means cheer or be happy. I dislike bonds more then any other sports player. I agree though people are sooo tired of Bonds and the same thign with TO. I recently have turned off NFL live and sportscenter when they talk about TO or they show cowboys highlights and the only thing they show is TO. I will do the same next season when it starts to happen with bonds

djfresh47
10-22-2006, 08:23 PM
If he plays he's going to break the record. I don't know how many people are going to watch it. Not because they don't want to see it, but if Bonds stays on the west coast and it is a night game most people on the east coast are not going to stay awake to watch.

NJFINSFAN1
10-22-2006, 09:09 PM

It will do a super bowl type rating

I don't think so.

I for one could careless what he does.

Rocky Raccoon
10-22-2006, 09:10 PM
I don't think so.

but like him or hate him you have GOT to be intrigued by such a feat if you're a baseball fan. That's why everyone will tune in.

finswin56
10-22-2006, 09:42 PM
but like him or hate him you have GOT to be intrigued by such a feat if you're a baseball fan. That's why everyone will tune in.No I don't. IMO the "feat" is completely dismissable (I don't think that's really a word?), and SHOULD be dismissed by each and every baseball fan. Anything less is a pat on the back for Barry Bonds. He should be ostracized by the fans.

MikeO
10-22-2006, 09:58 PM
I don't think so.

your in the minority on that one!

Roman529
10-23-2006, 01:55 AM
I am sure Barry will stick around just long enough to get the record. He is only concerned about himself and nothing else, so WHO CARES? Baseball is no longer "America's pastime," as that clueless baseball player said above. It is still a good sport, but football has become America's game.

NJFINSFAN1
10-23-2006, 07:49 AM
but like him or hate him you have GOT to be intrigued by such a feat if you're a baseball fan. That's why everyone will tune in.

I'm not the slightest bit intrigued by him and I won't tune in and I'm a huge baseball fan.

Hank should keep the record.

NJFINSFAN1
10-23-2006, 07:51 AM
your in the minority on that one!

Sure about that???

Just read some of the posts, look at the polls being done by papers.

Blade
10-23-2006, 09:35 AM
I am rootin for him not to break the record but i will most likely be watching the games when he is close to breakin the record just to say i saw it.

I just hope he is at home so when/if he does breaks it, the crowd will be cheering for him.

NJFINSFAN1
10-23-2006, 01:54 PM
I am rootin for him not to break the record but i will most likely be watching the games when he is close to breakin the record just to say i saw it.

I just hope he is at home so when/if he does breaks it, the crowd will be cheering for him.

I hope he is in Atlanta!:rolleyes:

MikeO
10-23-2006, 02:04 PM
Sure about that???

Just read some of the posts, look at the polls being done by papers.

and what people SAY and DO are 2 different things.

RWhitney014
10-23-2006, 02:42 PM
I'm not the slightest bit intrigued by him and I won't tune in and I'm a huge baseball fan.

Hank should keep the record.

You were intrigued enough to click on, read, and post on this thread.

A lot of people are so adamant that they don't care that they're paying more attention than they realize. Bonds polarizes, and no matter what pole someone belongs to, odds are they will have some reaction as he gets closer and closer to 755. A very few will have no reaction, and those are truly the ones who don't care. Everyone else does.

WarriorWelker83
10-23-2006, 03:31 PM
I'd be intrigued if he were breaking the record, and watch it, and hell i'd be in the outfield at CBP (like i was when he hit 713 against us) if he were going for 756 or 757 against the Phillies. But i'd definetly root against it. Even if i caught the ball ;)

GridIronKing34
10-26-2006, 11:42 PM
I actually hope he gets the record. I've been a fan of his for quite some time, back when he was one of the first speed/power combination hitters for a while. I would have considered him to be one of my favorite players at one time, but I've been paying less attention to baseball actually, but none the less, I can't seem to show any hatred towards him like some do. If he breaks it, I'll be happy for him, if he doesn't, it's good to see an old record stand tall.

54Fins
10-29-2006, 01:20 PM
I am sure Barry will stick around just long enough to get the record. He is only concerned about himself and nothing else, so WHO CARES? Baseball is no longer "America's pastime," as that clueless baseball player said above. It is still a good sport, but football has become America's game. :yeahthat: