PDA

View Full Version : Most people just don't know Football.

fitskin
10-19-2006, 11:02 PM
About a three months ago I realized that I knew nothing about football. I started coaching at a school in Minnesota that had a good program and wow was I humbled. I was with coaches who had been coaching for 35+ seasons, and I was out of my league. I caught on quickly and am having the time of my life. I still know little.

The average NFL fan thinks he knows a lot. HA. Just because they watch Sunday Countdown with Berman means they can X and O with the best of them. Try sitting down with a State Championship winning coach and talking X's and O's. You would be amazed.

To my point:

Anyone who in the last month has thought that;

A. Ronnie Brown is a bust
B. Nick Saban should be fired
c. Chambers is overrated
d. J. Allen was a wasted pick

Do not know football. I'm sorry guys but that is the truth. You think you do but you don't. I don't. I am learning, every day and trust me, there is a lot to learn.

In Saban's book it says that he and his staff put in 100+ hours a week preparing. Most NFL fans haven't put that much time in during their LIFE studying football.

In closing I would like to say that I respect MANY opinions on this board. CK, Boomer, etc. Very smart men. But most of you, just don't know football. It's ok. It doesn't mean you can't start a thread about Ronnie Brown being a bust, it just means you look like a fool doing it.

Phanatical
10-19-2006, 11:06 PM
In closing I would like to say that I respect MANY opinions on this board. CK, Boomer, etc. Very smart men. But most of you, just don't know football. It's ok. It doesn't mean you can't start a thread about Ronnie Brown being a bust, it just means you look like a fool doing it.

Actually, your post makes you look like a fool.

Green Ranger
10-19-2006, 11:08 PM
:yeahthat:

fitskin
10-19-2006, 11:08 PM
why?

Phanatical
10-19-2006, 11:09 PM
:spam: :topic: :broken: :ban: :mrt:

and your post doesn't belong in the Dolphins forum either.

FinsGonnaRock06
Real Intelligent post, Yeah were all dumb as a BOX OF ROCKS except CK, Boomer , RIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

bigguy1381
Actually, your post makes you look like a fool.
Why does it make him look like a fool?

fitskin
10-19-2006, 11:11 PM
Real Intelligent post, Yeah were all dumb as a BOX OF ROCKS except CK, Boomer , RIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

There are other posters I respect. Those were just examples.

Crowder52
10-19-2006, 11:11 PM
While I agree with what you are saying, your "proof" to back it up was pretty pathetic and condescending.

fitskin
10-19-2006, 11:13 PM
While I agree with what you are saying, your "proof" to back it up was pretty pathetic and condescending.

I never meant to say that I knew a lot, I don't. I am just learning. I did not try to be condescending, my apologies.

WPBtoRNOFinFan
10-19-2006, 11:13 PM
I agree with the original poster, if you have ever studied the game or coached, it has opened your eyes in a major way.

GridIronKing34
10-19-2006, 11:14 PM
You just insulted 75% of the board's intelligence... You're in for a ride man haha. I don't think I'm the smartest with football knowledge but I do know that Ronnie is not a bust, Chambers is not overrated, Saban shouldn't be fired, and Allen was not a wasted pick. So do I qualify for the "I have a little bit of football knowledge" sticker?

FinsGonnaRock06
10-19-2006, 11:14 PM
The sad part of the post is A,B,C,D could all end up being correct, THEN WHERE DOES THIS FRANCHISE GO, YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!

Crowder52
10-19-2006, 11:16 PM
I never meant to say that I knew a lot, I don't. I am just learning. I did not try to be condescending, my apologies.

It's all good man. But a serious question: Do you think coaching makes you a much better evaluater of talent? I don't know why you said that statement about Chambers, because I think someone could make a pretty valid argument that he is overrated. I love the guy, but I wouldn't say someone else was ignorant if they gave a good, well thought out argument against him.

Phanatical
10-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Why does it make him look like a fool?

I think many other posts have answered this. Just keep reading the responses. That's why.

fitskin
10-19-2006, 11:19 PM
It's all good man. But a serious question: Do you think coaching makes you a much better evaluater of talent? I don't know why you said that statement about Chambers, because I think someone could make a pretty valid argument that he is overrated. I love the guy, but I wouldn't say someone else was ignorant if they gave a good, well thought out argument against him.

You make a good point. I have seen every game the guy has played, and seriously I have never seen receivers make the tough catch with such consistency.

It all depends on your opinion of him in the first place. I think he is a great receiver. Not Rice, but great.

Phinz4Life
10-19-2006, 11:20 PM
Personally, I think it's an excellent point. A little flawed how its presented, but I agree.

fitskin
10-19-2006, 11:20 PM
I think many other posts have answered this. Just keep reading the responses. That's why.

Ok, again I ask you why? Please give me a reason yourself.

fitskin
10-19-2006, 11:21 PM
Personally, I think it's an excellent point. A little flawed how its presented, but I agree.

Thanks, I didn't take much time preparing it.

fitskin
10-19-2006, 11:22 PM

Anytime?

Phanatical
10-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Ok, again I ask you why? Please give me a reason yourself. :rolleyes:

I just told you why.

fitskin
10-19-2006, 11:23 PM
:rolleyes:

I just told you why.

Ok.

Crowder52
10-19-2006, 11:27 PM
You make a good point. I have seen every game the guy has played, and seriously I have never seen receivers make the tough catch with such consistency.

It all depends on your opinion of him in the first place. I think he is a great receiver. Not Rice, but great.

Yeah see man that's what it's all about, everyone coming here and sharing opinions and debating what they think. That's why I think it's bad taste to say "If you believe X, Y or Z, then you know nothing about football."

When you hang around these boards, you can tell who knows about football pretty quickly. But if we all thought the same things about all the players and coaches, it would get pretty boring. Plus it's fun to just own the noobs who say Ronnie or Jason Allen is a bust.

So here's what I do:

- Have discussions with knowledgable members.
JimmyJames completely changed my mind about Marty Booker, who I thought was on the downward slope of his career. Turns out he was still hampered by an injury that other WRs have had trouble coming back from too. He is a great option at #2 for us at the present.

- Own the noobs. That's 1/2 the fun of being here.

fitskin
10-19-2006, 11:28 PM
:rolleyes:

I just told you why.

Some very simple football questions?

1. What is a flexed tight end?
2. What is a three technique?
3. What is a window player?

These are some basic questions to stimulate your brain.

fitskin
10-19-2006, 11:29 PM
Yeah see man that's what it's all about, everyone coming here and sharing opinions and debating what they think. That's why I think it's bad taste to say "If you believe X, Y or Z, then you know nothing about football."

When you hang around these boards, you can tell who knows about football pretty quickly. But if we all thought the same things about all the players and coaches, it would get pretty boring. Plus it's fun to just own the noobs who say Ronnie or Jason Allen is a bust.

So here's what I do:

- Have discussions with knowledgable members.
JimmyJames completely changed my mind about Marty Booker, who I thought was on the downward slope of his career. Turns out he was still hampered by an injury that other WRs have had trouble coming back from too. He is a great option at #2 for us at the present.

- Own the noobs. That's 1/2 the fun of being here.

Good point, "Owned the noobs," do you play Halo?

Troysif
10-19-2006, 11:30 PM
i totally agree with this thread

edit:and i play halo

Crowder52
10-19-2006, 11:31 PM
Good point, "Owned the noobs," do you play Halo?

Na I just love nerd-speak.

fitskin
10-19-2006, 11:31 PM
Na I just love nerd-speak.

HAHA, cool.

Phanatical
10-19-2006, 11:32 PM
OK, now this thread is where it belongs. Have fun fitskin, you genius you.

fitskin
10-19-2006, 11:33 PM

You are cool. You still haven't answered my questions.

BrazForPhins
10-19-2006, 11:34 PM
About a three months ago I realized that I knew nothing about football. I started coaching at a school in Minnesota that had a good program and wow was I humbled. I was with coaches who had been coaching for 35+ seasons, and I was out of my league. I caught on quickly and am having the time of my life. I still know little.

The average NFL fan thinks he knows a lot. HA. Just because they watch Sunday Countdown with Berman means they can X and O with the best of them. Try sitting down with a State Championship winning coach and talking X's and O's. You would be amazed.

To my point:

c. Chambers is overrated

Do not know football. I'm sorry guys but that is the truth. You think you do but you don't. I don't. I am learning, every day and trust me, there is a lot to learn.

In Saban's book it says that he and his staff put in 100+ hours a week preparing. Most NFL fans haven't put that much time in during their LIFE studying football.

is this part of your graduation? college stuff? pretty cool experience.

TorontoFin
10-19-2006, 11:35 PM
Ridiculous post. Now fans can't comment about the team they watched all their lives or risk being fools? Nice. Do you vote? why? You've never sat in office have you? Who are you to make such judements about political affairs?

Ok, I'm being facecious, but you get my drift. There are many coaches in sports -- some who turned out to be great -- who never played the game. So, how did they get to where they are? A lot of growing, yes, but primarily they started out as observers.

All of a sudden you get overwhelmed by some Xs and Os and some jargon, and us all us are a bunch of fools? Maybe you should pay attention to what Jason taylor said after the NYJ loss. In essance, football is an easy game, once you know your assignments, you execute. Period. So perhaps now you know much better than any of us the terminology and the building of those assignments. Good for you. I'll buy you a donut. But any of us fools can tell just as well as you when those assignments are not being executed. A QB gets sacked. A ball is thrown into a DBs hands; a RB fumbles. A LT keeps missing his block. A DL jumps offsides - again... etc etc. I don't need a football PhD to tell me those things can't happen in order to be succesful. Good luck with your team.

GridIronKing34
10-19-2006, 11:36 PM

You're being childish man... You don't seem to back up any of your opinions and give us ineffective reasoning, if any, behind them. Maybe this is where it belongs but c'mon man, learn how to debate.

GoonBoss
10-19-2006, 11:38 PM
Well, I'll be the first to admit that an NFL or other level coach probably know much more than me. However, coaches are not always the best evaluaters of talent. I personally think HC/GM is too much for any one man in the NFL today. X/Os are a coaches bread and butter, and, they should know better than most. Talent is another thing. You can benchmark talent by historical comparisons, and, evaluate thier bust/hit status, which will tell even a casual fan the success of a particular pick, which was the posters main example set.

I don't think you can call RB a success or a bust at this point, though, it's clear he operates in space better than hitting holes and running downhill. It's nothing that can't be coached, so, that's the good. The bad is right now he's more of a James Brooks than a Ladamien Tomlinson.

CC is, I think, overrated. I won't debate it, because my brain is tired just thinking about it. In fairness, he came on strong last year, and, I'm giving him a mulligan for this year becasue of teams turbulence.

Jason Allen......I have a negative view of him becasue of the holdout. I will admit that. Now, he can't break thstarting lineup. Drafted that high, and, with the secondary he's competeing against, he should be playing. I always give a one year mulligan, but, he better start next year, or, he is, in fact, a bust based on draft position.

Saban.......I'm still in his corner, but, he has made some strategic errors this year, clearly. I am always for giveing a coach 3 years minimum. More can follow if there is a positive direction that the team is moveing in.

In closeing, there are alot of things involved with "knowing" football. It's a niche game. Some OCs are great at that, and cannotbe HCs. Same goes with DCs. Not all people "know" the same stuff. That's what makes this game the best in the world. :D

BrazForPhins
10-19-2006, 11:39 PM

it's getting annoying dude..wth is wrong is with you? Can you close the thread and act like an adult for a moment, damn

TorontoFin
10-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Is it just me, or has this site gone goofy?..Missing pics, etc..

Phanatical
10-19-2006, 11:42 PM
You're being childish man... You don't seem to back up any of your opinions and give us ineffective reasoning, if any, behind them. Maybe this is where it belongs but c'mon man, learn how to debate.

I'm not being childish. This poster starts a thread and calls everyone but two posters "fools", and I said that made him look like a fool. Nothing to debate. That's my assessment in a nutshell. Nothing more to say about it. I'm done here, you can have the last word, last post etc. Out.

BrazForPhins

here is perfectly fine..better check your system bro

GridIronKing34

It's just you I believe, it does that to me at random times too. It's really no big deal.

fitskin
Ridiculous post. Now fans can't comment about the team they watched all their lives or risk being fools? Nice. Do you vote? why? You've never sat in office have you? Who are you to make such judements about political affairs?

Ok, I'm being facecious, but you get my drift. There are many coaches in sports -- some who turned out to be great -- who never played the game. So, how did they get to where they are? A lot of growing, yes, but primarily they started out as observers.

All of a sudden you get overwhelmed by some Xs and Os and some jargon, and us all us are a bunch of fools? Maybe you should pay attention to what Jason taylor said after the NYJ loss. In essance, football is an easy game, once you know your assignments, you execute. Period. So perhaps now you know much better than any of us the terminology and the building of those assignments. Good for you. I'll buy you a donut. But any of us fools can tell just as well as you when those assignments are not being executed. A QB gets sacked. A ball is thrown into a DBs hands; a RB fumbles. A LT keeps missing his block. A DL jumps offsides - again... etc etc. I don't need a football PhD to tell me those things can't happen in order to be succesful. Good luck with your team.

I'm not trying to be an *** or anything. I'm just saying there is more to it than people think.

redpitsea
10-19-2006, 11:43 PM
I think hes 100% right but that does not not give us the right to come here and be the arm chair QB's that we think we are. I also agree with you and that we all think we know football and the fix for this team like 1.Fire murlarky(witch I totally agree) 2. Browns a bust( total bs) ect ect. I dont always agree with Saban but he knows 1000X more than all of us and he knows the whys,whats, and wheres and tons of things that we dont.

In other words he has a reason to this madness and I really do believe Saban is the coach we thought he was after last season. He will get us turned around but its looking like later rather than sooner. We all really think its that easy to be a coach but I bet 1 million bucks (that I dont have) that none of us could handle 4 days of 1 full regular season NFL week!
Stand behind your team and fight for them no matter if were 1-5 or 5-1!!! This is were we find out who the real fans are! GO FINS !!!!

Phanatical
10-19-2006, 11:43 PM
it's getting annoying dude..wth is wrong is with you? Can you close the thread and act like an adult for a moment, damn

dt dt dt dt, yeah, sure, wth is wrong is with you??? Yeah, uh huh. :rolleyes:

fitskin
10-19-2006, 11:44 PM
is this part of your graduation? college stuff? pretty cool experience.

It is actually part of school. It is very cool. I have always wanted to be a coach though.

fitskin
10-19-2006, 11:45 PM
I think hes 100% right but that does not not give us the right to come here and be the arm chair QB's that we think we are. I also agree with you and that we all think we know football and the fix for this team like 1.Fire murlarky(witch I totally agree) 2. Browns a bust( total bs) ect ect. I dont his team whalways agree with Saban but he knows 1000X more than all of us and he knows ty what and where 1000X better than any of us.

In other words he has a reason to this madness and I really do believe Saban is the coach we thought he was after last season. He will get us turned around but its looking like later rather than sooner. We all really think its that easy to be a coach but I bet 1 million bucks (that I dont have) that none of us could handle 4 days of 1 full regular season NFL week!
Stand behind your team and fight for them no matter if were 1-5 or 5-1!!! This is were we find out who the real fans are! GO FINS !!!!

100 Percent Agreed.

BrazForPhins
10-19-2006, 11:45 PM
dt dt dt dt, yeah, sure, wth is wrong is with you??? Yeah, uh huh. :rolleyes:

whatever.

fitskin
10-19-2006, 11:46 PM
I'm not being childish. This poster starts a thread and calls everyone but two posters "fools", and I said that made him look like a fool. Nothing to debate. That's my assessment in a nutshell. Nothing more to say about it. I'm done here, you can have the last word, last post etc. Out.

I said etc. Do you know what that means?

BrazForPhins
10-19-2006, 11:48 PM
It is actually part of school. It is very cool. I have always wanted to be a coach though.

don't give up, good luck with it..football coaching seems extremely hard-work demanding..

fitskin
10-19-2006, 11:49 PM
don't give up, good luck with it..football coaching seems extremely hard-work demanding..

Thanks, and low paying.

Phanatical
10-19-2006, 11:51 PM
I said etc. Do you know what that means?

Oh, I'm sorry, that makes it so much better. I forgot how smart you are.

TorontoFin
10-19-2006, 11:56 PM
I'm not trying to be an *** or anything. I'm just saying there is more to it than people think.

I'm not dissagreeing with you. But you did call people fools for their opinion which are based on what they see every week. Of course there are things we'll never tyruly understand. But at the same time there are things that we see that perhaps saban can't right away because he's too close to the situation. Playing duante 4 games comes to mind.

B-lo
10-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Some very simple football questions?

1. What is a flexed tight end?
2. What is a three technique?
3. What is a window player?

These are some basic questions to stimulate your brain. I Also coach highschool football down here in south Florida , in the largest classification(6a). At a very successful program for the last 10 years. Down here is arguably the best highschool football in the country. It is very time consuming and demanding for little $. I respect you for the fact you coach , but to say people "don't know" is very poorly stated. I don't "know" any more than anybody else around here and I don't think you meant to say you do, but that's how it came across. IMO. A flexed tight end is when the tight end moves out from away from the tackle and is lined up like a wide reciever. I don't know what a window player is we don't use that terminology but I'm guessing it's playing defense in a "gap" /window responsibility. And asking these people what a 3 technique is probably insulting to their football knowledge. I'm not trying to bash you, I just think you could have came across a little less "cocky"! Good luck w/you team.:cooldude:

like2god
10-20-2006, 09:21 AM
I Also coach highschool football down here in south Florida , in the largest classification(6a). At a very successful program for the last 10 years. Down here is arguably the best highschool football in the country. It is very time consuming and demanding for little $. I respect you for the fact you coach , but to say people "don't know" is very poorly stated. I don't "know" any more than anybody else around here and I don't think you meant to say you do, but that's how it came across. IMO. A flexed tight end is when the tight end moves out from away from the tackle and is lined up like a wide reciever. I don't know what a window player is we don't use that terminology but I'm guessing it's playing defense in a "gap" /window responsibility. And asking these people what a 3 technique is probably insulting to their football knowledge. I'm not trying to bash you, I just think you could have came across a little less "cocky"! Good luck w/you team.:cooldude:
Wow, blo being very diplomatic. :lol:

Nice job, bro.

B-lo
10-20-2006, 09:33 AM
Wow, blo being very diplomatic. :lol:

Nice job, bro.

.Diplomatic?:lol: what's that? WOW , UL2BGAY still can't spell B-LO!!!!:evil:

adamprez2003
10-20-2006, 09:37 AM

To my point:

c. Chambers is overrated

there is some truth to what you say but the majority of the posters on this site dont fall into that category IMO. You used 4 examples to make your case but you oversimplified the arguments to make your argument.

When people say Ronnie Brown is a bust they're not saying he cant play in the NFL. I havent seen one thread calling for him to be benched. Instead if you read the threads most of the arguments are whether he was worth a number 2 overall. That is an absolutely legitimate argument and I'm a Ronnie fan. Same with Allen. Noone has said the guy cant play (none of us have seen him yet) the arguments are whether the 16th pick shouldve been used on him. Chambers overrated depends on where the poster believes Chambers is ranked. If you believe he's ranked top 5 and you have seen him play then yes he's overrated. As for Saban, I'm a defender, but it's natural when you lose people blame the coach. People bought into the hype. Now they have to buy into the reality. I wouldnt get too wroked up over it

like2god
10-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Diplomatic?:lol: what's that? WOW , UL2BGAY still can't spell B-LO!!!!:evil:

Okay, I'll make an effort to spell it the way you meant it to be spelled.

Blow. :lol:

B-lo
10-20-2006, 09:46 AM
Okay, I'll make an effort to spell it the way you meant it to be spelled.

Blow. :lol:

.Nice effort Dikhead!:lol:

like2god
10-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Nice effort Dikhead!:lol:

Blough? :lol:

B-lo
10-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Blough? :lol:

:boohoo: your really hurting my feelings.:tantrum:

like2god
10-20-2006, 10:08 AM
:boohoo: your really hurting my feelings.:tantrum:
:lol:

I'm sorry, B-lo boy. :wink:

B-lo
10-20-2006, 10:22 AM

I'm sorry, B-lo boy. :wink:

.I understand it's kind of difficult for you.:evil:

retired opfinistic
10-20-2006, 02:34 PM
I understand it's kind of difficult for you.:evil:i wonder what b-lo's job is?

fitskin
10-20-2006, 02:52 PM
I Also coach highschool football down here in south Florida , in the largest classification(6a). At a very successful program for the last 10 years. Down here is arguably the best highschool football in the country. It is very time consuming and demanding for little $. I respect you for the fact you coach , but to say people "don't know" is very poorly stated. I don't "know" any more than anybody else around here and I don't think you meant to say you do, but that's how it came across. IMO. A flexed tight end is when the tight end moves out from away from the tackle and is lined up like a wide reciever. I don't know what a window player is we don't use that terminology but I'm guessing it's playing defense in a "gap" /window responsibility. And asking these people what a 3 technique is probably insulting to their football knowledge. I'm not trying to bash you, I just think you could have came across a little less "cocky"! Good luck w/you team.:cooldude:

You would be suprised how few people know what a 3 tech is.

like2god
10-20-2006, 02:53 PM
i wonder what b-lo's job is?

I think you just answered your own question. :lol: But I have a pic of him when he was a computer programmer.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k88/like2god/funny%20pics/030139721.jpg

:lol: :lol:

retired opfinistic
10-20-2006, 02:58 PM
You would be suprised how few people know what a 3 tech is.From JSOnline:

The term "three-technique" has nothing to do with technique and everything to do with the player's alignment.
For 40 years or more, football coaches have used a universal system in which a number from 1 to 9 is assigned to areas where a defensive lineman could line up.
The three-technique tackle lines up on the outside shoulder of either one of the guards in the gap designated as 3.

Now we all know, thanks for the lesson fore- I mean fitskin!:wink:

Prophet
10-20-2006, 05:47 PM

To my point:

c. Chambers is overrated

So, you're awakened to your ignorance and assume that everyone else is still in the dark? It appears to me that all you learned is that you don't know anything about football.

TotoreMexico
10-20-2006, 06:57 PM
I think you just answered your own question. :lol: But I have a pic of him when he was a computer programmer.

:sidelol:

fitskin
10-21-2006, 12:57 PM
So, you're awakened to your ignorance and assume that everyone else is still in the dark? It appears to me that all you learned is that you don't know anything about football.

You did not get my thread.

B-lo
10-23-2006, 08:08 AM

.That's FUKED up man!!!:lol: I already told you what my career is , I can assure you it's not computer programming . I can't type, or spell!!! Hey uL2bgay, keep your boyfriend of this board.Nobody wants to see that sh%t you enjoy! :lol:

B-lo
10-23-2006, 08:10 AM
You would be suprised how few people know what a 3 tech is.
Maybe? Is a window player a gap player? Just curious.

like2god
10-23-2006, 10:35 AM
That's FUKED up man!!!:lol: I already told you what my career is , I can assure you it's not computer programming . I can't type, or spell!!! Hey uL2bgay, keep your boyfriend of this board.Nobody wants to see that sh%t you enjoy! :lol:

Ohhh that's right, I forgot that you told us. Now I remember.....you flip burgers at McD's and you use that "one for you, one for me, one for you and two for me" logic to sneak Bigmacs for yourself. Well, that would explain your girlish figure.

:lol: :lol: :lol: