PDA

View Full Version : I have a torn meniscus

SCall13
10-20-2006, 08:25 PM
So I have been working to get back into "football shape" (no not the SHAPE of football but to be able to play again). And what did I do? I tore the meniscus in my left knee. I went to the orthopedist today and was supposed to have gotten an MRI, but ended up not getting it. Instead they took more x-rays and the preliminary determination is that I tore my meniscus. Turns out that they will do an MRI on my knee next week just to confirm it, then go about setting me up to have whatever surgery is necassary to get it repaired. I have no idea why this is going to be drug out so long, but it is. My knee has swollen up to the point that it looks like a baseball is in it (not quite a baseball but close). And it hurts like hell. There is a lot of fluid built up all around my knee....

Anyway, just curious if anyone has any experience with this type of injury or surgery. I had injured the ligaments in my right knee in the past, but luckily (VERY luckily considering the injury) didn't have to have surgery. Any insight on this would be appreciated. I'm just curious....

Majpain
10-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Damn that sucks man. I hope you make a full recovery.

like2god
10-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Sorry to hear that, hope everything goes well and you have a speedy recovery.

Mike13
10-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Did you feel that you overdid anything?

SCall13
10-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Damn that sucks man. I hope you make a full recovery.

Thanks man. I will!

SCall13
10-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Sorry to hear that, hope everything goes well and you have a speedy recovery.

Thanks! I appreciate it. I plan on working hard. (Just as soon as I can walk!!) :lol:

SCall13
10-20-2006, 08:44 PM
Did you feel that you overdid anything?

I don't think I really over did it. I think part of the problem may have been that I didn't stretch properly, but it was a freak accident and would have happened anyway.
I was moving forward and stepped in a hole and felt sort of a popping feeling. In hindsight, I think the feeling I felt was my knee buckling and the joints sliding over the meniscus. LOL....I have to get used to that word. At first, I was really worried that it might have been my ACL. It still could have been - nothing has been officially ruled out. But signs point to it ONLY being the meniscus.

From what the doc explained to me, it looked as if my meniscus had torn and folded back and was not only NOT protecting my joints, but also rubbing nerves and getting the torn place in areas it's not really supposed to sit, causing some more irritation.

OK, it's along story. The short answer is yes, I might have over done it to an extent. But other than typical knee pain that I've had from old football injuries, I really didn't feel anything coming.

Silverphin
10-20-2006, 08:49 PM
So I have been working to get back into "football shape" (no not the SHAPE of football but to be able to play again). And what did I do? I tore the meniscus in my left knee. I went to the orthopedist today and was supposed to have gotten an MRI, but ended up not getting it. Instead they took more x-rays and the preliminary determination is that I tore my meniscus. Turns out that they will do an MRI on my knee next week just to confirm it, then go about setting me up to have whatever surgery is necassary to get it repaired. I have no idea why this is going to be drug out so long, but it is. My knee has swollen up to the point that it looks like a baseball is in it (not quite a baseball but close). And it hurts like hell. There is a lot of fluid built up all around my knee....

Anyway, just curious if anyone has any experience with this type of injury or surgery. I had injured the ligaments in my right knee in the past, but luckily (VERY luckily considering the injury) didn't have to have surgery. Any insight on this would be appreciated. I'm just curious....

Football, huh? You in college, semi-pro, pro?

But yeah, I hope things get better for you. You might get drafted for the 'Phins one day.:wink:

SCall13
10-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Football, huh? You in college, semi-pro, pro?

But yeah, I hope things get better for you. You might get drafted for the 'Phins one day.:wink:

Yeah, I was going to get back into semi-pro. Just for fun. I love the game. I love throwing TDs, running up the score, and humiliating our opponents. LOL. :lol:

Really, I just wanted to play again!

Silverphin
10-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Yeah, I was going to get back into semi-pro. Just for fun. I love the game. I love throwing TDs, running up the score, and humiliating our opponents. LOL. :lol:

Really, I just wanted to play again!

Cool.

Mike13
10-20-2006, 08:56 PM
I was moving forward and stepped in a hole

Potholes are a *****. Anyways I hope you get better relative to the need of getting the explosive mobility in your leg.

Silverphin
10-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Potholes are a *****. Anyways I hope you get better relative to the need of getting the explosive mobility in your leg.

Nick Saban, is that you!

Clumpy
10-20-2006, 08:59 PM
:(

SCall13
10-20-2006, 09:07 PM

LOL. I got to tell you, I'm not a runner. I'm a stand in the pocket and throw the ball type. If I have to move, I can move around and buy some time. But the word EXPLOSION has never been used while describing my mobility.:lol:

Silverphin
10-20-2006, 09:11 PM
LOL. I got to tell you, I'm not a runner. I'm a stand in the pocket and throw the ball type. If I have to move, I can move around and buy some time. But the word EXPLOSION has never been used while describing my mobility.:lol:

It's cool. Hey, you should try out for the Rams. Last QB they picked up from a semi-pro league did pretty werll. :wink:

Dolfan984
10-20-2006, 09:11 PM
From one QB who loves running up the score to another, I really hope you make a full recovery bro.

Dolfan984
10-20-2006, 09:12 PM

Ah, then you and I are very different QBs. I have the height (6'4") and can stay in the pocket, but I run a sub 4.6 and running is a big part of my game. If I had a big injury like that, I'm sure it would effect me a lot more than it will probably effect you. :)

SCall13
10-20-2006, 09:45 PM
Ah, then you and I are very different QBs. I have the height (6'4") and can stay in the pocket, but I run a sub 4.6 and running is a big part of my game. If I had a big injury like that, I'm sure it would effect me a lot more than it will probably effect you. :)

Yeah, I'm not very tall 6'. I stay in, and can move well within, the pocket. I'm very accurate on any throw and I'm very aggressive with my throws. I take the Dan Marino approach "If you looks open to me, I'm getting him the ball" I can move outside the pocket and throw very accurately on the run. But I'm not going to beat many DBs in a footrace. But if I draw them up, then they will pay. :wink:

SCall13
10-20-2006, 09:46 PM
From one QB who loves running up the score to another, I really hope you make a full recovery bro.

Thanks bro. I appreciate it.

MNFINFAN
10-20-2006, 10:31 PM
I tore my meniscus in my left knee a couple years ago. We took care of the swelling but as it wasn't a complete tear (i.e. just a tear and not ripped in half, we just got my knee balanced and strengthened. Never did have to have surgery, and I have found out that is a practice that is really common now. Just let it heal and strengthen around it.

Good luck but I was back running and playing squash within 3 weeks, and full speed after 6 weeks and I am an old ******* :D, so I am hoping for the same recovery for you too.

Blade
10-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Dude, sorry to hear that. Hope you have a speedy recovery. This just gives you more time to watch some horror movies.

Mike13
10-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Nick Saban, is that you!

It would be cool to dress up like him for Halloween, I'll chew out random people, it should be fun.
Anyways once again, Scall, good luck in getting healthy.

finfan01
10-20-2006, 11:50 PM

Dude....I needed to have fluid drained out of my knee many times before. It sucks.........chin-up....hopefully it will all work out in the end:D

StormSurge
10-20-2006, 11:58 PM
Sorry to hear about your injury.

I've torn my meniscus twice, both times after having reconstruction to fix my Posterior Cruciate Ligament. (ACL's ugly cousin.)

My first meniscus tear happened 10 years after the PCL surgery. I didn't go back to the doc who fixed my knee the first time due to insurance issues. (That doc was the Hartford Whalers orthopedic surgeon.) Instead, I went to some quack, had arthroscopic surgery & the meniscus tore again within a year. (It tore just by walking around a corner.)

I waited to have it fixed the second time & it worked out well. A new insurance policy covered me at the original surgeon's & I had arthroscopic surgery again last November. I can't have an MRI thanks to the screw in my knee, but x-ray's showed it was a clean tear. The surgery sewed the two pieces together.

The surgery was outpatient & I was home a few hours after showing up at the doc's office. The next day was pretty painful, but the Vicodin's helped. It felt better each day & within 10 days I had ditched the crutches. Once I reached a certain range of motion in my knee, I was able to get back to working out, running, whatever.

Basically, if you need the meniscus sewn like I did, the sutures holding it in place need time to take hold. Once they've done that, you should be good to go.

I guess it all depends on what the MRI shows. If it's not a clean tear, it would be a totally different surgery than what I had.

Good luck & keep us posted.

icephinfan
10-21-2006, 02:22 AM
SCALL sorry to hear that man. But, at least you now you have time to watch all the Halloween movies coming up.:wink:

SCall13
10-21-2006, 05:53 AM
SCALL sorry to hear that man. But, at least you now you have time to watch all the Halloween movies coming up.:wink:

LOL. This is true. :lol:

SCall13
10-21-2006, 08:06 AM
Sorry to hear about your injury.

I've torn my meniscus twice, both times after having reconstruction to fix my Posterior Cruciate Ligament. (ACL's ugly cousin.)

My first meniscus tear happened 10 years after the PCL surgery. I didn't go back to the doc who fixed my knee the first time due to insurance issues. (That doc was the Hartford Whalers orthopedic surgeon.) Instead, I went to some quack, had arthroscopic surgery & the meniscus tore again within a year. (It tore just by walking around a corner.)

I waited to have it fixed the second time & it worked out well. A new insurance policy covered me at the original surgeon's & I had arthroscopic surgery again last November. I can't have an MRI thanks to the screw in my knee, but x-ray's showed it was a clean tear. The surgery sewed the two pieces together.

The surgery was outpatient & I was home a few hours after showing up at the doc's office. The next day was pretty painful, but the Vicodin's helped. It felt better each day & within 10 days I had ditched the crutches. Once I reached a certain range of motion in my knee, I was able to get back to working out, running, whatever.

Basically, if you need the meniscus sewn like I did, the sutures holding it in place need time to take hold. Once they've done that, you should be good to go.

I guess it all depends on what the MRI shows. If it's not a clean tear, it would be a totally different surgery than what I had.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Thanks for the post and taking the time give me a little information. I'm not sure if I have a clean tear or not, but I hope it is. The x-ray obviously revealed a tear, but I guess the MRI will confirm the severity of it.

nyjunc
10-21-2006, 08:51 AM

Earlier this year my Dr. thought I had a torn meniscus but after my MRI it revealed I did not so it's possible you do not. Even if you do have a torn meniscus is not that serious, it's something you can recover from fairly quickly.

Mike13
10-21-2006, 02:52 PM
So I guess its gona be hard to get some tang now, unless the girl's on top.

Miamian
10-22-2006, 04:41 AM
That sound like it hurts big time. I hope that you make a full recovery. You may want to look down occasionally from now on.