PDA

View Full Version : is there any pitchers here? question about forearm injuries

miamikid92
10-20-2006, 09:31 PM
I pitch a lot for my team and i started to throw a knuckle ball a few years ago. I was throwing it about everytime i had a catch with a baseball atleast 20 times, it got pretty good at one point but now my forearm is starting to hurt when i throw because of it, i can still throw but i always have that feeling in my forearm after 30 or so pitches that it either has a wierd tingling feeling, barely hurts, or hurts really bad. I am still going 7 innings usually a game but im hoping this doesn't last for a while. has anyone had any experience with forearm injuries and if they take a while to heal?

thanks in advance

John Biello
10-20-2006, 09:34 PM
what motion are you using to throw the knuckle ball, my understanding ( from limted exposure to tim wakfield) is that its more of a push with the fingers after they are dug into the ball, and there isnt any twisting or snapping of your wrist how are you throwing it, sounds unusal little guy, your to young for arm troubles

miamikid92
10-20-2006, 09:39 PM
what motion are you using to throw the knuckle ball, my understanding ( from limted exposure to tim wakfield) is that its more of a push with the fingers after they are dug into the ball, and there isnt any twisting or snapping of your wrist how are you throwing it, sounds unusal little guy, your to young for arm troublesyeah, that's what i was doing, i was pushing it with my fingers but i think i was using my forearm when i tried to throw harder with it which i did not notice until after it started to get soar

NJFINSFAN1
10-20-2006, 09:43 PM
You should only be throwing a fastball and a circle change.

I coach HS baseball and still pitch.

Don't screw up your arm.

I could not say how your hurting your forearm with seeing you pitch.

miamikid92
10-20-2006, 09:52 PM

Don't screw up your arm.

I could not say how your hurting your forearm with seeing you pitch.i've tried the changeups but i havent tried enough to get accurate with them, do you think that a 2 seams and sinkers could injure your arm also?

John Biello
10-20-2006, 09:57 PM
throwing is a very unnatural motion. anyone can get hurt doing it, but when you throw "junk" and snap or cut your wrist, its puts a ton of stress on your elbow especially. doing that stuff can ruin your arm before it even gets started. learn to locate and change speeds bud

miamikid92
10-20-2006, 10:02 PM
throwing is a very unnatural motion. anyone can get hurt doing it, but when you throw "junk" and snap or cut your wrist, its puts a ton of stress on your elbow especially. doing that stuff can ruin your arm before it even gets started. learn to locate and change speeds budi've always been doing that, but sence i couldn't throw a changeup for a strike i would just throw it slower without using a different grip to change speeds. i figured if i could get a decent knuckleball i could use it as my changeup. now it looks like im going to have to go back to the changeup and work on it more then before

FinSinceBirth
10-20-2006, 10:06 PM

Don't screw up your arm.

I could not say how your hurting your forearm with seeing you pitch.

Could he possibly have tendonitis?

But yea NJ is right, you shouldn't be throwing a knuckleball right now. You shouldn't even be throwing a curve ball until high school. It can be detrimental to your arm later.

I have two bits of advice, seeing as I'm a catcher and I'm planning on being a physical therapist.

First of all, ditch the knuckle for now and learn a 1 seam and cut fastball instead. The one seam due to how you hold it causes the ball to drop and you don't change your throwing motion from the regular fastball which doesn't hurt the arm. The cut fastball can be a very wicked picth, and it also keeps most of the same motion as a regular fastball. We have a pitcher who throws the cut fastball and when I catch him, that's predominantly what I call. It's so hard for hitters to hit.

As for your forearm, go see a trainer/therapist/doctor about it soon. Putting it off will make it worse, and your still young so it'd be better to get it taken care of now. If it is tendonitis, it will take a long time to heal. Next, you should start strengthening your forearm. Do wrist rolls and curls, start out w/ lighter weights though. By the time you reach highschool you'll have a strong arm at your disposal.

Majpain
10-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Edit-Nvm. Only had arm pain not forearm.

John Biello
10-20-2006, 10:26 PM
hey now, your 13, you sure its not from extra cirricular activity with your pitching arm...:wink:

Blade
10-20-2006, 10:48 PM
I know about forearm injuries but they arent related to pitchin....

miamikid92
10-20-2006, 11:40 PM
Could he possibly have tendonitis?

But yea NJ is right, you shouldn't be throwing a knuckleball right now. You shouldn't even be throwing a curve ball until high school. It can be detrimental to your arm later.

I have two bits of advice, seeing as I'm a catcher and I'm planning on being a physical therapist.

First of all, ditch the knuckle for now and learn a 1 seam and cut fastball instead. The one seam due to how you hold it causes the ball to drop and you don't change your throwing motion from the regular fastball which doesn't hurt the arm. The cut fastball can be a very wicked picth, and it also keeps most of the same motion as a regular fastball. We have a pitcher who throws the cut fastball and when I catch him, that's predominantly what I call. It's so hard for hitters to hit.

As for your forearm, go see a trainer/therapist/doctor about it soon. Putting it off will make it worse, and your still young so it'd be better to get it taken care of now. If it is tendonitis, it will take a long time to heal. Next, you should start strengthening your forearm. Do wrist rolls and curls, start out w/ lighter weights though. By the time you reach highschool you'll have a strong arm at your disposal. the past few days ive been doing 50 curls each with a five pound weight, so maybe that will help to get it stronger, it doesn't bother me when i do it. and your right about the cutter i have been workin on that, by just holding my two fingers on the seam and throwing a fastball with it. it wont strike out much but it will get ground ball after ground ball, i will try out getting help from a doctor , and what do you mean by wrist curls, how do i do those?

oh yeah, and i am also working on a sinker that i just learned were you first hold it like a 2 seam, then put your middle and index finger inbetween the laces, im pretty sure it won't affect my throwing motion do you have any experience with that pitch? and also what kind of team are you on..highschool? college? just wonderin
thanks for the info man

RWhitney014
10-21-2006, 12:15 AM
the past few days ive been doing 50 curls each with a five pound weight, so maybe that will help to get it stronger, it doesn't bother me when i do it. and your right about the cutter i have been workin on that, by just holding my two fingers on the seam and throwing a fastball with it. it wont strike out much but it will get ground ball after ground ball, i will try out getting help from a doctor , and what do you mean by wrist curls, how do i do those?

oh yeah, and i am also working on a sinker that i just learned were you first hold it like a 2 seam, then put your middle and index finger inbetween the laces, im pretty sure it won't affect my throwing motion do you have any experience with that pitch? and also what kind of team are you on..highschool? college? just wonderin
thanks for the info man

13 is too young to be lifting weights, no matter how small, in my opinion. That, in fact, might be the problem. Muscles, tendons, and ligaments that are still developing can not handle that extra strain.

When I was 16, I fooled around with a knuckleball, throwing it the right way, got elbow soreness, shut myself down for a month, and then never threw it more than once or twice in a session again. NJ's right, fastball and change is all you need, and if you can't control the change, try a palmball. Just put all of your fingers on the ball touching each other and put the ball deep in your palm, and when you throw the ball, the extra spin will slow it down and make it sink some, too, without any dangerous snapping of the wrist or elbow. And all you perverts should not take anything from that.

miamikid92
10-21-2006, 12:50 AM
13 is too young to be lifting weights, no matter how small, in my opinion. That, in fact, might be the problem. Muscles, tendons, and ligaments that are still developing can not handle that extra strain.

When I was 16, I fooled around with a knuckleball, throwing it the right way, got elbow soreness, shut myself down for a month, and then never threw it more than once or twice in a session again. NJ's right, fastball and change is all you need, and if you can't control the change, try a palmball. Just put all of your fingers on the ball touching each other and put the ball deep in your palm, and when you throw the ball, the extra spin will slow it down and make it sink some, too, without any dangerous snapping of the wrist or elbow. And all you perverts should not take anything from that.:lol: thanks for the info r whitney, another reason im going to stop throwing it is because it's very inconsistent. one pitch i could throw it and the catcher couldnt catch it because it wiggled so much, then next its a meat ball spinner right down the plate. so i figure its not worth the trouble anyway, ill just stick with the more normal pitches and take it easy on my arm until i know its fully recovered

FinaciousOne
10-21-2006, 10:24 AM
hey now, your 13, you sure its not from extra cirricular activity with your pitching arm...:wink:

:D Before I clicked the thread, I thought he was looking for the pitchers in the Ladies Lounge and was concerned about the potential for forearm injury.:lol:

One serious side point I would add thought MK92: When you exercise to strengthen your forearms, make sure you give attention to the muscles that oppose the muscles you use most when you pitch. The opposing muscles would be the ones that cause the opposite motion. Repetitve motions like pitching tend to imbalance the strengths of opposing muscles. The muscles used to snap your wrist get much more use under load than the ones that make your wrist move in the opposite direction. This can cause problems in tendon passages in the wrist and up in the elbow. The opposing muscles actually need more exercise than the ones you are using often, in order to maintain balanced tension.

tylerdolphin
10-21-2006, 11:52 PM

When I was 16, I fooled around with a knuckleball, throwing it the right way, got elbow soreness, shut myself down for a month, and then never threw it more than once or twice in a session again. NJ's right, fastball and change is all you need, and if you can't control the change, try a palmball. Just put all of your fingers on the ball touching each other and put the ball deep in your palm, and when you throw the ball, the extra spin will slow it down and make it sink some, too, without any dangerous snapping of the wrist or elbow. And all you perverts should not take anything from that.
I am still growing at 16 and I use weights. Ive been lifting since I had just turned 15. I dont get any negative effects. Only postive like more strength, bigger muscles ect.

RWhitney014
10-22-2006, 02:23 AM
I am still growing at 16 and I use weights. Ive been lifting since I had just turned 15. I dont get any negative effects. Only postive like more strength, bigger muscles ect.

There is a big, big difference in a body between the ages of 13 and 15/16. No offense, miamikid, but 13 year-olds are still, well, kids. Weights aren't necessary at that age.