PDA

View Full Version : Some pics of my Tiny Mite football team

SCall13
10-21-2006, 10:28 AM
These are all scrimmage game pics/ or scrimmage preparation

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/10/hawkslineup-1.jpg
That's my boy at QB (no he doesn't wear #72. These are just scrimmage jersies. He wears #2)

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/10/hawksjamboree-1.jpg
I'm in the red shirt
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/10/hawksdolphins2-1.jpg
Yes, there is a Dolphins team. LOL. Gotta love those unis
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/10/hawksdolphins-1.jpg

SCall13
10-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Here is a pic of Calvin Stephens (ex-Patriot who helps me coach) and myself in the dunking booth.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/10/calvindunk-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/10/seandunk-1.jpg

HolliFinFan
10-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Awesome, SCall. That looks like lots of rewarding fun.

retired opfinistic
10-21-2006, 11:01 AM
great pics!

WharfRat
10-21-2006, 11:13 AM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h157/SCall13/hawksdolphins.jpg

Face Mask!!!

Majpain
10-21-2006, 11:18 AM
Kick *** Scall. Looks like fun. Whats your record?

Agent51
10-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Pop-Warner is a GREAT thing. Here's a HORRIBLE situation though. My little cousin is playing for the first time this year. He just turned 9 in August so he missed the contact football cutoff last year, and his mom didn't sign him up for flag because she thought it was dumb, even though I told her he'd learn the fundamentals. Well, being his first year of football its kind of the "make or break" year, where he decides if he likes the game and wants to keep playing, or if he doesn't like it. Here's the disaster of a situation:

It's his first year of contact, and he is only 4'2, 56lbs. He should be in mighty-mights, which was the lowest division in his town. Well, come to find out, the first day of practice, despite mighty-mights being listed as a divison on the signup sheet, the lowest division is Jr PeeWee. So now he is already at a disadvantage because, even though it's some of the other kids' first years too, he is by FAR the smallest on the team.

Well, it gets better. There is one coach who is coaching for his first year and who has a son on the team, who is a first year player. This coach is one of those "can't let go of the fact that I was never good enough to play after high school" guys, and he is trying to live vicariously through his son. This is done by him started his kid at every single "glory" position, despite the kid being no better than any of the other players (he is actually worse than a lot of them). The kid starts at WR, CB, Kick/Punt return, AND on the kickoff/punt teams. The kid is in the game 99% of the time. The guy isn't even the head coach, he is the offensive coordinator. The problem is, he's got the kids running (or trying to run) high school level plays. At that level they are still supposed to be learning the basics of football. Especially since there is no mighty-might team, a lot of the kids are first year players that don't have the fundamentals needed to run BASIC plays, nevermind high-school level. Even worse, the guy teaches them the WRONG stuff and insists it's right because "he played on a championship high school team in the late 70s" (even though a parent of a kid on the team went to school with him and said he was a 3rd string WR, lol). He has the backs labeled wrong (liek the numbers they are assigned) and he has the running holes switched, so the odds and evens are on the opposite sieds of where they are supposed to be. Then, when the kids don't execute his highly elaborate, and fundamentally wrong plays, he goes off on them.

Their first game was a DISASTER. The coaches were COMPLETELY disorganized and it made the team look like a joke. I had the "pleasure" of attending the practices and games in the begining of the season before I came back to Hawai'i. Anyway, they got fined in the first game because they didn't get all the kids their required plays and it was just a disastorous joke of a coaching job. After this game a parent/coach meeting was called because the parents were PISSED that the coaches acted liek that oin front of the kids and were so disorganized. They fight amongst each other every single practice and during games on the sidelines because one wants this done and another wants that done etc etc. It was so disorganized that my cousin, who had been practicing at CB, was sent it at HB, (after never even practicing on offense once) and then he had no idea what to do (naturally) and the ball was snapped and he figured since he was a RB he was taking it, so he runs forward, smashs into the QB and the other HB, who was the one getting the ball, causing a fumble that the other team recovered. The coaches had the NERVE to flip on my cousin for not knowing what he was doing! How was he supposed to know when he had never even seen the offense!

Well in this parent meeting, which I attended since I was the only male going to practices, and the only one that knew anything about football (I played from mighty-mite up through high school and got D1 scholarships that I turned down to come to Hawai'i) it was more BS. The head coach, who has no control over the team and just walks around and does nothing during practices, tried to tell all the moms there that things take time to work etc etc. Then I step up and tell him the offense is ridiculous and these kids need the fundamentals first etc etc. You know what he said "what FUNDAMENTALS do you think they need? none of that is important, the only thing that matters is winning. I was the coach last year and we didn't have one single win, the only thing I'm focused on is getting my returning players their first win". I was shocked. I went OFF. I'm like, MAYBE if these kids knew the basics of FOOTBALL and had an offense that was suited for their age/skill level you COULD get wins.

Then he got into it with me about my little cousin, who is the smallest, but the fastest on the team. He HAD been playing CB, which was my defensive position in high school (switched around from corner to safety depending on the opoonent, and played tailback on offense), so I had been working with him since day one on the techniques. Well, he said things were gonna change and kids were going to have set positions now (they didn't before, they had like 5 players in the first game that got all the time at all the positions and the rest were the "filler", getting their mandatory plays at positions they never even practiced then sitting out the rest of the game). He said a kid like my cousin would NEVER be put on the line because he is too small and not aggressive enough. He belonged at DB because of his excellent speed. Well, guess what position my cousin is stuck at? DEFENSIVE TACKLE! The smallest kid, and maybe least aggressive, on the team is the DT. when there are other kids 3x his size on the team, that are super aggressive but slow, at CB :rolleyes2

So anyway, this offensive coordinator continues to design plays around his son and put him in everywhere, and the head coach does nothing about it. The other coaches keep saying he doesn't belong in there all that time because, well, to put it bluntly, he isn't good, but the guy keeps sending his kid in. The kid has blown THREE games for their team. One he dropped a TD pass that someone with greased hands could catch, so they lost by 5 points. Two others he was at corner and the play was right to him and he dove while the guy was still 6 yards away, missing him, and letting up the game-winning TD both time. The kid is also a little bpunk too. He tackles people in between plays at practice or talks trash and slaps kids in the head or throws balls at them, then when the other kid tries to retaliate the punk kid runs to his daddy, who makes the other kid do laps. The kid also doesn't have to do ANYTHING in practice.

First off, the dad, a COACH, shows up at LEAST 30 minutes late every practice. Which makes his son late, then the dad has to get his kid dressed, so he convieniently always misses calesthenics (sp?) and the opening run/sprints. Then the kid sits out all the hitting drills cuz he is "injured" (which happens everytime he gets hit) then goes back in for the scrimmage to catch his passes. One time the guy was wicked late and walking slowly to ther field and one coach yelled for his son to hurry up and get on the field. The kid looked at his dad, the dad shook his head no and put his hand in front to stop him from going. The coach kept yelling for the kid to run over because he was late, and the dad was like "my son doesn't have to run, he'll run when he gets on the field" and the coach was like "he's 40 minutes late, he needs to run to the field" and the dad is like "hey, my son KNOWS how to play football, hif he doesn't wanna run, he doesn't need to run, he knows he's the fastest, and if anyone has a problem i'll take hinm right off the team". Mind you, the kid lives TWENTY MINUTES AWAY, so he shouldn't even be playing for them. He only is because his dad couldn't get in as a coach in the town his son lives in, but he could for my cousins team so his kid plays for us to get extra time and an offense designed around him. Also, the kid hardly ever shows up to practice PERIOD. On my cousins brithday he brought cake and ice cream for the whole team, but he practiced first. On this kids birthday he came in no pads and ran around the field the whole time with friends. My cousin was SUPER sick one day with a stomache bug and STILL went to practice and finished first in the runs and had good tackles and made good plays, this coaches kid doesn't even practice if it rains or if it's cold. One time he missed all 5 practices of the week (before school started0 and still played tyhe entire game. Another time the coach AND his son showed up at HALFTIME, which screwed the team in the first half because the coach keeps all his "genius" plays and won't give copies to the other coaches, so they had no plays to call. He shows up at halftime and somehow the kid STILL plays every play of the second half, even though he never weighed in.

Then I hear that at their last game, the guy REAMED them out because they lost to the undefeated defending champs. The team finally won their first game in two years the week prior and the coach said "that doesn't count, as far as I'm concerned you guys don't have a win" and just laid into them about kids wanting to try new positions so he puts em there and they don't perform. Well, genius, if kids wanna try a position they never have before, do you EXPECT them to perform against the undefeated defending champs? Then I guess he said "these kids are hopless, I'm moving up next year to coach PeeWee, these kids are going to be so lost next year". They will be lost because he taught them the wrong fundamentals (ie, the backs and holes being numbered wrong/opposite, etc). Not to mention he flipped on the kids for not practicing hard, and not giving enough effort in practice when he, as a COACH, is late every practice, and sometimes doesn't even show (like if it's raining) :rolleyes2

The guy is just an all around loser, and his son has no clue what he's doing out there (which is understandable because he is first year) yet he is a little punk with a HUGE ego thanks to his dad. I fear that this guy, and people like him, ruin the Pop-Warner experience and the football experience for the kids. Luckily my cousin still wants to play, but a few of them say they hate football and quit before the midpoint of the season, and it was the coaches fault. There are a few good coaches on that team, but unfortunately the head coach and the "offensive coordinator" don't give them any input or listen to them so it's a lost cause. I give all the credit in the world to my cousin for sticking it out in a position he should NEVER have been playing, and actually becoming good at it. He breaks through the line regularly and gets QB sacks, which is amazing because the guys that line up on him are 2 or three times his size. It says a lot about his speed and athletisism. He should be playing DB or RB or WR, not DT, but next year he will get his shot, because his mom is moving him to the team the next town over, which is where he WOULD have played this year had she known her town didn't REALLY have mighty-mites, because the other town did, and that's what my cousin needed to be on. Instead his first football experience was with ridiculous coaches and with kids that towered over him in weight and height, but he STILL is one of the best on his team.

I apologize for the long post, but football is a big part of my life, I love it to death, and I just HATE to see the game experience being ruined for the kids starting out. Those coaches jeopardized all of those kids entire football futures, both with not teaching the basics or teaching the wrong stuff and their disorganization makiing kids hate it. I just had to get that off my chest, lol.

On a happier note, those little guys in the dolphins uniforms are so friggin awesome! :cooldude:

SCall13
10-21-2006, 11:57 AM
Kick *** Scall. Looks like fun. Whats your record?

Surprisingly we are 5-0-1. We tied this past week 21-21. Great game.
The reason I'm so surprised is that every other team in this area had tiney mite teams last year and we didn't. So half the kids on the teams we play have a season of experience on us, which typically makes a huge difference just from a fundamental standpoint. I think what has really helped us bridge the gap is that we have pretty good overall experience as a coaching staff. I've played football pretty much all of my life and started coaching 9 years ago (while still playing). Calvin Stephens (ex-patriot guard) and Brian Hough (ex-long snapper for the Tar Heels) have really done alot with the offensive line techniques. We actually run some traps and combo-blocks with these kids. (this is the 5-6 year old age group) I've kept basically the same offense I have always ran, but simplified it alot to try to keep the confusion down. I've always ran multiple formations, but have cut out a couple of formations and tried to keep the plays as simple as possible and, of course, the terminology has changed.
This will sound funny to you, but I found this to be a huge boost for the kids energy and fun level. Instead of always going on 'hut' or whatever, alot of the times we go on crazy things like "hotdog", for example. So I'll tell the QB to go to the line and call out a couple of foods then say "hotdog" and everyone fires off on that word. These boys think that's the funniest damn thing and it really gets them rowdy. We go on coughs, barks (like a dog) and several other things like that. Not only does it make the kids have more fun, but it really catches the other team napping.

Anyway, we have a bye-week this week then we close out next week in our homecoming game. Then the following week we have our Holly Bowl. THE longest running bowl game in the Southeast (37 years). We have teams come from ALL over to the Holly Bowl. It's a huge event. Teams from New Jersey, Virginia, Florida, S. Carolina, Alabama, NY, West Virginia, etc come to this bowl. It's become hugely popular because we put on a show. We have tunnels the kids run out of (fog machines, stobe lights, flash cannons). The names are announced as they come out by a local radio personality. A local TV news helicopter delivers the game ball at the 50 yard line...all kind of cool things.

OK, I'll shut up now. LOL. It's a lot of fun.

SCall13
10-21-2006, 12:00 PM
Pop-Warner is a GREAT thing. Here's a HORRIBLE situation though. My little cousin is playing for the first time this year. He just turned 9 in August so he missed the contact football cutoff last year, and his mom didn't sign him up for flag because she thought it was dumb, even though I told her he'd learn the fundamentals. Well, being his first year of football its kind of the "make or break" year, where he decides if he likes the game and wants to keep playing, or if he doesn't like it. Here's the disaster of a situation:

It's his first year of contact, and he is only 4'2, 56lbs. He should be in mighty-mights, which was the lowest division in his town. Well, come to find out, the first day of practice, despite mighty-mights being listed as a divison on the signup sheet, the lowest division is Jr PeeWee. So now he is already at a disadvantage because, even though it's some of the other kids' first years too, he is by FAR the smallest on the team.

Well, it gets better. There is one coach who is coaching for his first year and who has a son on the team, who is a first year player. This coach is one of those "can't let go of the fact that I was never good enough to play after high school" guys, and he is trying to live vicariously through his son. This is done by him started his kid at every single "glory" position, despite the kid being no better than any of the other players (he is actually worse than a lot of them). The kid starts at WR, CB, Kick/Punt return, AND on the kickoff/punt teams. The kid is in the game 99% of the time. The guy isn't even the head coach, he is the offensive coordinator. The problem is, he's got the kids running (or trying to run) high school level plays. At that level they are still supposed to be learning the basics of football. Especially since there is no mighty-might team, a lot of the kids are first year players that don't have the fundamentals needed to run BASIC plays, nevermind high-school level. Even worse, the guy teaches them the WRONG stuff and insists it's right because "he played on a championship high school team in the late 70s" (even though a parent of a kid on the team went to school with him and said he was a 3rd string WR, lol). He has the backs labeled wrong (liek the numbers they are assigned) and he has the running holes switched, so the odds and evens are on the opposite sieds of where they are supposed to be. Then, when the kids don't execute his highly elaborate, and fundamentally wrong plays, he goes off on them.

Their first game was a DISASTER. The coaches were COMPLETELY disorganized and it made the team look like a joke. I had the "pleasure" of attending the practices and games in the begining of the season before I came back to Hawai'i. Anyway, they got fined in the first game because they didn't get all the kids their required plays and it was just a disastorous joke of a coaching job. After this game a parent/coach meeting was called because the parents were PISSED that the coaches acted liek that oin front of the kids and were so disorganized. They fight amongst each other every single practice and during games on the sidelines because one wants this done and another wants that done etc etc. It was so disorganized that my cousin, who had been practicing at CB, was sent it at HB, (after never even practicing on offense once) and then he had no idea what to do (naturally) and the ball was snapped and he figured since he was a RB he was taking it, so he runs forward, smashs into the QB and the other HB, who was the one getting the ball, causing a fumble that the other team recovered. The coaches had the NERVE to flip on my cousin for not knowing what he was doing! How was he supposed to know when he had never even seen the offense!

Well in this parent meeting, which I attended since I was the only male going to practices, and the only one that knew anything about football (I played from mighty-mite up through high school and got D1 scholarships that I turned down to come to Hawai'i) it was more BS. The head coach, who has no control over the team and just walks around and does nothing during practices, tried to tell all the moms there that things take time to work etc etc. Then I step up and tell him the offense is ridiculous and these kids need the fundamentals first etc etc. You know what he said "what FUNDAMENTALS do you think they need? none of that is important, the only thing that matters is winning. I was the coach last year and we didn't have one single win, the only thing I'm focused on is getting my returning players their first win". I was shocked. I went OFF. I'm like, MAYBE if these kids knew the basics of FOOTBALL and had an offense that was suited for their age/skill level you COULD get wins.

Then he got into it with me about my little cousin, who is the smallest, but the fastest on the team. He HAD been playing CB, which was my defensive position in high school (switched around from corner to safety depending on the opoonent, and played tailback on offense), so I had been working with him since day one on the techniques. Well, he said things were gonna change and kids were going to have set positions now (they didn't before, they had like 5 players in the first game that got all the time at all the positions and the rest were the "filler", getting their mandatory plays at positions they never even practiced then sitting out the rest of the game). He said a kid like my cousin would NEVER be put on the line because he is too small and not aggressive enough. He belonged at DB because of his excellent speed. Well, guess what position my cousin is stuck at? DEFENSIVE TACKLE! The smallest kid, and maybe least aggressive, on the team is the DT. when there are other kids 3x his size on the team, that are super aggressive but slow, at CB :rolleyes2

So anyway, this offensive coordinator continues to design plays around his son and put him in everywhere, and the head coach does nothing about it. The other coaches keep saying he doesn't belong in there all that time because, well, to put it bluntly, he isn't good, but the guy keeps sending his kid in. The kid has blown THREE games for their team. One he dropped a TD pass that someone with greased hands could catch, so they lost by 5 points. Two others he was at corner and the play was right to him and he dove while the guy was still 6 yards away, missing him, and letting up the game-winning TD both time. The kid is also a little bpunk too. He tackles people in between plays at practice or talks trash and slaps kids in the head or throws balls at them, then when the other kid tries to retaliate the punk kid runs to his daddy, who makes the other kid do laps. The kid also doesn't have to do ANYTHING in practice.

First off, the dad, a COACH, shows up at LEAST 30 minutes late every practice. Which makes his son late, then the dad has to get his kid dressed, so he convieniently always misses calesthenics (sp?) and the opening run/sprints. Then the kid sits out all the hitting drills cuz he is "injured" (which happens everytime he gets hit) then goes back in for the scrimmage to catch his passes. One time the guy was wicked late and walking slowly to ther field and one coach yelled for his son to hurry up and get on the field. The kid looked at his dad, the dad shook his head no and put his hand in front to stop him from going. The coach kept yelling for the kid to run over because he was late, and the dad was like "my son doesn't have to run, he'll run when he gets on the field" and the coach was like "he's 40 minutes late, he needs to run to the field" and the dad is like "hey, my son KNOWS how to play football, hif he doesn't wanna run, he doesn't need to run, he knows he's the fastest, and if anyone has a problem i'll take hinm right off the team". Mind you, the kid lives TWENTY MINUTES AWAY, so he shouldn't even be playing for them. He only is because his dad couldn't get in as a coach in the town his son lives in, but he could for my cousins team so his kid plays for us to get extra time and an offense designed around him. Also, the kid hardly ever shows up to practice PERIOD. On my cousins brithday he brought cake and ice cream for the whole team, but he practiced first. On this kids birthday he came in no pads and ran around the field the whole time with friends. My cousin was SUPER sick one day with a stomache bug and STILL went to practice and finished first in the runs and had good tackles and made good plays, this coaches kid doesn't even practice if it rains or if it's cold. One time he missed all 5 practices of the week (before school started0 and still played tyhe entire game. Another time the coach AND his son showed up at HALFTIME, which screwed the team in the first half because the coach keeps all his "genius" plays and won't give copies to the other coaches, so they had no plays to call. He shows up at halftime and somehow the kid STILL plays every play of the second half, even though he never weighed in.

Then I hear that at their last game, the guy REAMED them out because they lost to the undefeated defending champs. The team finally won their first game in two years the week prior and the coach said "that doesn't count, as far as I'm concerned you guys don't have a win" and just laid into them about kids wanting to try new positions so he puts em there and they don't perform. Well, genius, if kids wanna try a position they never have before, do you EXPECT them to perform against the undefeated defending champs? Then I guess he said "these kids are hopless, I'm moving up next year to coach PeeWee, these kids are going to be so lost next year". They will be lost because he taught them the wrong fundamentals (ie, the backs and holes being numbered wrong/opposite, etc). Not to mention he flipped on the kids for not practicing hard, and not giving enough effort in practice when he, as a COACH, is late every practice, and sometimes doesn't even show (like if it's raining) :rolleyes2

The guy is just an all around loser, and his son has no clue what he's doing out there (which is understandable because he is first year) yet he is a little punk with a HUGE ego thanks to his dad. I fear that this guy, and people like him, ruin the Pop-Warner experience and the football experience for the kids. Luckily my cousin still wants to play, but a few of them say they hate football and quit before the midpoint of the season, and it was the coaches fault. There are a few good coaches on that team, but unfortunately the head coach and the "offensive coordinator" don't give them any input or listen to them so it's a lost cause. I give all the credit in the world to my cousin for sticking it out in a position he should NEVER have been playing, and actually becoming good at it. He breaks through the line regularly and gets QB sacks, which is amazing because the guys that line up on him are 2 or three times his size. It says a lot about his speed and athletisism. He should be playing DB or RB or WR, not DT, but next year he will get his shot, because his mom is moving him to the team the next town over, which is where he WOULD have played this year had she known her town didn't REALLY have mighty-mites, because the other town did, and that's what my cousin needed to be on. Instead his first football experience was with ridiculous coaches and with kids that towered over him in weight and height, but he STILL is one of the best on his team.

I apologize for the long post, but football is a big part of my life, I love it to death, and I just HATE to see the game experience being ruined for the kids starting out. Those coaches jeopardized all of those kids entire football futures, both with not teaching the basics or teaching the wrong stuff and their disorganization makiing kids hate it. I just had to get that off my chest, lol.

On a happier note, those little guys in the dolphins uniforms are so friggin awesome! :cooldude:

Damn man, it sounds like this guy needs to be supplanted. Hopefully there will be enough dissatisfaction to be sure he isn't back next year.

NJFINSFAN1
10-21-2006, 12:12 PM
My town just had a big brawl with the pee-wees, (7th & 8th graders) and a coach from the other town just got arrested today with more arrests coming. Its a true shame that the parents are taking away the joy from these kids.

I'll post the story, but the site is down right now.

Here you go!
http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk1MiZmZ2JlbDdmN3ZxZWVFRXl5NzAwODU4NCZ5cmlyeTdmNzE3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTM=

Tale of the tape leads to arrest of coach http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif (javascript:popPrint('email.php?qstr=ZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMDg1ODQmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkz');) http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif (javascript:popPrint('print.php?qstr=ZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMDg1ODQmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkz');) http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif
Saturday, October 21, 2006

By MATTHEW VAN DUSEN and JASON TSAI
STAFF WRITERS

Oakland police arrested a Bergenfield coach at a football practice Thursday in connection with a brawl at a recreational-league game that witnesses said involved about 65 coaches, parents, and seventh- and eighth-grade players.
After reviewing a videotape of the melee, authorities charged Erick Marrero, 33, with simple assault for his role in the fight that erupted in the fourth quarter of an Oct. 7 game between Oakland and Bergenfield.

SCall13
10-21-2006, 12:17 PM
My town just had a big brawl with the pee-wees, (7th & 8th graders) and a coach from the other town just got arrested today with more arrests coming. Its a true shame that the parents are taking away the joy from these kids.

I'll post the story, but the site is down right now.

Here you go!
http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk1MiZmZ2JlbDdmN3ZxZWVFRXl5NzAwODU4NCZ5cmlyeTdmNzE3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTM=

Tale of the tape leads to arrest of coach http://www.northjersey.com/img/email_top.gif (javascript:popPrint('email.php?qstr=ZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMDg1ODQmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkz');) http://www.northjersey.com/img/print_top.gif (javascript:popPrint('print.php?qstr=ZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMDg1ODQmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkz');) http://www.northjersey.com/img/record_logo_sm.gif
Saturday, October 21, 2006

By MATTHEW VAN DUSEN and JASON TSAI
STAFF WRITERS

Oakland police arrested a Bergenfield coach at a football practice Thursday in connection with a brawl at a recreational-league game that witnesses said involved about 65 coaches, parents, and seventh- and eighth-grade players.
After reviewing a videotape of the melee, authorities charged Erick Marrero, 33, with simple assault for his role in the fight that erupted in the fourth quarter of an Oct. 7 game between Oakland and Bergenfield.

Wow. Unbelievable.

NJFINSFAN1
10-21-2006, 12:22 PM
Wow. Unbelievable.

Yep, from what I hear, Bergenfield started it, but some of the coaches and parents on our team stormed the field and were right in the middle of it.

This is what happened, our kid was running for a TD and was grapped from behind by the face mask for about the third time in the game. He went down and was hurt. The kid that did it, did the others also, so one of our kids jumped him. Then the Bergenfield coach ran out and jumped the kid, then all hell broke loose.

I know most of our coaches, and the one in the middle of it, has been banned from basketball already. Both sides were did wrong, its a true shame kids sports have come to this.:shakeno:

SCall13
10-21-2006, 12:22 PM
Face Mask!!!

LOL. I noticed that too. It was of the 5 yard variety. :D

SCall13
10-21-2006, 12:29 PM
Yep, from what I hear, Bergenfield started it, but some of the coaches and parents on our team stormed the field and were right in the middle of it.

This is what happened, our kid was running for a TD and was grapped from behind by the face mask for about the third time in the game. He went down and was hurt. The kid that did it, did the others also, so one of our kids jumped him. Then the Bergenfield coach ran out and jumped the kid, then all hell broke loose.

I know most of our coaches, and the one in the middle of it, has been banned from basketball already. Both sides were did wrong, its a true shame kids sports have come to this.:shakeno:

We had a situation several years ago that almost got ugly. We were playing the defending champs and they came to out place thinking they were going to whip us. (We were undefeated and so were they). Anyway, we had them 37-32 and were knealing on the ball to run out the clock. The coach from the other team (the McAdenville Dolphins) TOLD his safety to run up and time the snap and spear the QB to try to cause a fumble. Our QB was knocked out cold on the play and could have been seriously injured because he took the shot directly to the head and didn't see it coming.

Anyway, the benches and bleachers cleared. It never reached "ugly" proportions, but that other coach needed his *** kicked. He got away with it though. He still coaches today. There was no way to prove he put the kid up to the hit, but we watched the tape and the safety had been standing there the two previous plays then looked over at the sideline and was obviously told something by the coach who was out of the camera view. The kid shook his head "yeah" or "ok" then ran up and hit our QB on the next play. Anyway, it was a shame that it had to happen. The kid was suspended for the rest of the season for it and the coach got off scott-free.

NJFINSFAN1
10-21-2006, 12:34 PM
We had a situation several years ago that almost got ugly. We were playing the defending champs and they came to out place thinking they were going to whip us. (We were undefeated and so were they). Anyway, we had them 37-32 and were knealing on the ball to run out the clock. The coach from the other team (the McAdenville Dolphins) TOLD his safety to run up and time the snap and spear the QB to try to cause a fumble. Our QB was knocked out cold on the play and could have been seriously injured because he took the shot directly to the head and didn't see it coming.

Anyway, the benches and bleachers cleared. It never reached "ugly" proportions, but that other coach needed his *** kicked. He got away with it though. He still coaches today. There was no way to prove he put the kid up to the hit, but we watched the tape and the safety had been standing there the two previous plays then looked over at the sideline and was obviously told something by the coach who was out of the camera view. The kid shook his head "yeah" or "ok" then ran up and hit our QB on the next play. Anyway, it was a shame that it had to happen. The kid was suspended for the rest of the season for it and the coach got off scott-free.

We just started a program that every coach needs to be fingerprinted and have a back ground check before even being considered to coach. Again, I feel its a shame it has come to this, but parents and coaches have just become down right insane!!! (Not ALL of Them, but more and more of them).

SCall13
10-21-2006, 12:43 PM
We just started a program that every coach needs to be fingerprinted and have a back ground check before even being considered to coach. Again, I feel its a shame it has come to this, but parents and coaches have just become down right insane!!! (Not ALL of Them, but more and more of them).

yeah, that's a good idea. We've been doing the background checks for years. I think it's a national Pop Warner rule. Obviously it's not fool-proof, but it can weed out some of the idiots. Then of course, like you said, you still have those looney moms and dads. :lol:

phinpunk14
10-21-2006, 01:10 PM
That one kid that plays for the dolphins is an absolute monster. He hovers over the rest of the kids.

Roman529
10-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Great pics SCall.....my twin brother use to coach the Park and Rec football league kids here before he went to Kuwait. I have coached basketball but haven't coached football. Great to see the kids out there, even though a lot of parents can ruin the experience. :rolleyes:

Agent51
10-21-2006, 01:59 PM

I wish my cousin's team had that, because the jack*** coach I described before has a HUGE record. Anywhere from posession with intent to deliver of crack cocaine to domestic abuse. The guy is a crackhead, and a REAL one, not just saying "you he's a crackhead" to make fun of him. He leaves practices and comes back high as hell, I saw it a few times when I was there and I still hear about it when I talk with my cousin's mom.

Also, and the divisions may be different where you are, but if I remember correctly when I played growing up 7th and 8th grade was Junior Midgets and Midgets. Our divisions were:

Mighty Mite
Junior PeeWee
PeeWee
Junior Midget
Midget

Then high school. We didn't have a tiny might team, and I've even heard of some places having a bantam and junior bantam class. I'm not sure where that weight/age class falls, but I'm thinking it's either before tiny/mighty mites or it's in between them and Junior PeeWee. The team my cousin plays for is the next town over from where I played, and he is a Junior PeeWee and he's 9 and in 3rd grade (he stayed back one year).

And SCall, sounds like you've got the whole idea of coaching, especially that young, and that is HAVE FUN! These years (Mites and PeeWees) are the years they are supposed to develope fundamentals and knowledge of the game, while having FUN. This level isn't meant to be super competative like high school/college, or even Midgets. If these kids down learn the game now they will just be hindered in the longrun because the skill level does go up and the game does get more competative as they move up in divisions. I tried to use the analogy to their head coach that it's like boxing. Some kid wants to learn boxing you don't just strap on gloves and tell him to go fight Mike Tyson and think he can do it just because he has seen it on TV. You need to teach that kid the fundamentals of boxing, like throwing proper punches and blocking techniques and all of that. Same with football. These kids who have never played can't be asked to run complex high-school level offenses when they don't even know what a BASIC play is yet. 70% of the kids on his team are 1st year guys, and almost ALL of them didn't understand what a first down is or even what the field markers mean. That is stuff you need to teach before you even start hitting. I still don't think every kid knows what a first down is or WHY we want them, they just stay out there and play until the coaches call em in.

Also, with regards to the parents/coaches with kids on the team, THREE other coaches of his team have kids on the team, and I had NO IDEA until the roster came out and the last names matched up. Why? because those coaches treated their kids like every other player. They had to EARN their extra playing time (outside the mandatory plays) just like everyone else. With the exception of the kid I mentioned, none of the other coaches kids got playing time handed to them, which is how it should be. If anything they suffer because the GOOD coaches on the team don't want to be viewed liek the bad coach is, so they hold their kids out more than they should, which also isn't fair.

icephinfan
10-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Great pix SCALL13.

NJFINSFAN1
10-21-2006, 04:21 PM
I wish my cousin's team had that, because the jack*** coach I described before has a HUGE record. Anywhere from posession with intent to deliver of crack cocaine to domestic abuse. The guy is a crackhead, and a REAL one, not just saying "you he's a crackhead" to make fun of him. He leaves practices and comes back high as hell, I saw it a few times when I was there and I still hear about it when I talk with my cousin's mom.

Have them go to a council meeting and suggest it and say other towns are doing this, why aren't we protecting the kids?

Hellion
10-21-2006, 04:37 PM
Yeah coaching youth football can be fun but exhausting too, I coach 5th/6th grade and sometimes the parents are the worst.
It's tough when you have a son(s) on the team as well because people assume he's playing because he's your son. i coach baseball as well and my kid was the starting pitcher, for two reasons, he has a good arm and he was the only kid at the time who could pitch over the plate consistently at that speed. people who thought it was a Dad/Son thing found out right away why he was the starting pitcher.
Anyways I avoid coaching my son directly for several reasons, 1. they don't listen like the other kids, and 2. Favoritism, or the being too hard on him trying to avoid favoring him. I allow the position/assistant coach take care of that and although I have input I don't do it directly. Where as baseball and basketball it's harder to do it that way.
I also coach basketball and he rotates in with the other guards.
I coached before my son was old enough to play so I do get mad when people assume i favor him.

I love playing teams where the coach has his kid playing QB, Point guard, Pitching ect...because in most cases the kids isn't right for the position but because he wants to play it or worse his Dad wants him to play it the kid is in there.
I'm not saying this is the case with SCall13, his kid (at that level) could be a very good QB and beyond. I've just seen it so many times it's funny.
And in some cases it works out just find.

My son is the starting CB 2nd string WR and is a kick returner.

Here he is getting an INT for a 55 yard TD.

SCall13
10-21-2006, 09:42 PM
That one kid that plays for the dolphins is an absolute monster. He hovers over the rest of the kids.

Yeah, when I saw him before we scrimmaged, I talked to him and his dad. I asked the little fellow where he parked his car. :lol:

finfan01
10-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Yeah, when I saw him before we scrimmaged, I talked to him and his dad. I asked the little fellow where he parked his car. :lol:
Wow.....I see why it is easy to make that mistake:lol:......he may have a future in football...:D

SCall13
10-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Yeah coaching youth football can be fun but exhausting too, I coach 5th/6th grade and sometimes the parents are the worst.
It's tough when you have a son(s) on the team as well because people assume he's playing because he's your son. i coach baseball as well and my kid was the starting pitcher, for two reasons, he has a good arm and he was the only kid at the time who could pitch over the plate consistently at that speed. people who thought it was a Dad/Son thing found out right away why he was the starting pitcher.
Anyways I avoid coaching my son directly for several reasons, 1. they don't listen like the other kids, and 2. Favoritism, or the being too hard on him trying to avoid favoring him. I allow the position/assistant coach take care of that and although I have input I don't do it directly. Where as baseball and basketball it's harder to do it that way.
I also coach basketball and he rotates in with the other guards.
I coached before my son was old enough to play so I do get mad when people assume i favor him.

I love playing teams where the coach has his kid playing QB, Point guard, Pitching ect...because in most cases the kids isn't right for the position but because he wants to play it or worse his Dad wants him to play it the kid is in there.
I'm not saying this is the case with SCall13, his kid (at that level) could be a very good QB and beyond. I've just seen it so many times it's funny.
And in some cases it works out just find.

My son is the starting CB 2nd string WR and is a kick returner.

Here he is getting an INT for a 55 yard TD.

I know exactly what you mean. This is the first year I have coached my son. This is my 9th season coaching football and I coach baseball and basketball as well. (I did coach my son in t-ball and basketball this past season).
Honestly, I don't worry about people thinking I show favoritism because I know I don't. And I feel pretty confident that no parents think I do. My son is the QB, but he earned it. I tried 8 kids at the position and we have 3 guys who can play it, but my son is far and away the best. Granted, my son did have advantages coming in: 1) I've been coaching all of his life so he's been around it and knew exactly what was going on. He already understood all the general fundamentals. 2) I was a QB, and he has mimicked me alot trying to "be like daddy." 3) I've been teaching him plays for years, so he already knew 95% of them. 4) He can throw the hell out of a ball already. (Yes, believe it or not, I do pass occasionally - mostly on roll outs. We've only had TWO incompletions out of about 15 tries). I'd like to throw it more, but I haven't really had to because we run it so well and I don't want to appear to be rubbing anything in at this age level.
Also, in games, I rotate my son and the second QB about 70/30, maybe even 65/35. I have let the 3rd QB take a few snaps in a game.

Anyway, you're right, it's hard NOT to be tougher on your own child and I am alot tougher on him. Not because I want to prove anything to anyone, but because I have always been that way. I don't demoralize him. I chew his butt, but I also praise him. I do let other coaches talk to him alot, but since I work directly with the offense the majority of the time, I have no choice.

The thing about my son that I'm most proud of is that he is very intense in pratice already, yet he is very smooth and relaxed in the game, but at the same time, he has that intensity and confidence that you look for.

Great picture of your son!