PDA

View Full Version : True Fans

retired opfinistic
10-21-2006, 11:23 AM
:rolleyes:

I see this debated on the main board constantly. Who is the true fan? Is it the guy that wants to lose out the season to obtain the highest possible draft pick? Is it the guy that wants to win as many games as possible for pride in the team week to week? Is it the fan who supports the team and players, no matter how the game went on Sunday, or is it the guy who bashes each individual that draws a penalty, or misses a block, or fumbles, etc.?

As a fan of the Fins, I always root for the win, I can't bring myself to pull for a draft pick, they are such a crap-shoot anyway. And I support my coaches and players, even if they are having an off-game (or season :shakeno: ). That doesn't mean that I don't question certain things about he organization, I am just a little more patient than some. I can suffer through this season, whether we turn the corner or not, and have enough faith in the coach and players to make another run next year. There has been a lot of bashing on the main boards regarding Saban and what he has and has not accomplished so far in Miami. I think that given more time he can really make our franchise competative. He's got a lot of cleaning up to do and I wouldn't be suprised to see some high-profile veterans get traded away for draft picks or other players next year to fill in some weak spots on the roster.
Last years 6 game run, combined with the acquisition of Pepper fooled us all into thinking we were the next great thing. Now we are seeing that our problems run deeper than we realized.

As a fan, no matter what team you root for, what are your thoughts on the 'true fan'?

finfan01
10-21-2006, 11:37 AM
A true fan is the one who cheers for his/her team no matter what. Just look at Cleveland Browns fans of Cleveland Indians fans....they are at every game no matter how bad the team has been for the season or in their history....

In short.......a true fan sticks with his/her team:dolphins::dolphins:

adamprez2003
10-21-2006, 11:52 AM
a true fan doesnt question the loyalty of his fellow fans regardless of what they think is best for their team

retired opfinistic
10-21-2006, 12:22 PM
a true fan doesnt question the loyalty of his fellow fans regardless of what they think is best for their teamthen there's a sh*tload of poser fans on the MB!:wink:

Type-O
10-21-2006, 01:40 PM
a true fan doesnt question the loyalty of his fellow fans regardless of what they think is best for their teamI agree with that. We have that same conversation on the Jets board sometimes. We have some that at a certain point want us to lose out for a pick etc. I could never do that. I want a win every sunday no matter what. I'll take the instant satisfaction over a lotto ticket any day.

Mike13
10-21-2006, 01:56 PM
I could never root for my team to lose so that they can get a better pick.

icephinfan
10-21-2006, 03:05 PM
then there's a sh*tload of poser fans on the MB!:wink:

AGREE 1000000000000000000000000%

GoBills24
10-21-2006, 04:48 PM

Is it the guy that wants to win as many games as possible for pride in the team week to week?

That's me, exactly.

Bebop13
10-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Win or lose there's nowhere else I'd rather be on a Sunday than tuned in to Field pass with a bottle of Wild Turkey & a pack of smokes......

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same.......

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss....

If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

From Rudyard Kipling's If.

like2god
10-21-2006, 09:20 PM
A true fan is somebody that remains a fan through the good times as well as the bad. You don't root for draft picks, you root for the opposing QB to throw picks. No matter how poorly your team plays you watch the games with the idea that they can beat anybody, what's the point of watching if you think they will lose?. You can question the team and other fans opinions but in the end you all want one thing, to win.

Colorado Dolfan
10-21-2006, 11:58 PM
A true fan is somebody that remains a fan through the good times as well as the bad. You don't root for draft picks, you root for the opposing QB to throw picks. No matter how poorly your team plays you watch the games with the idea that they can beat anybody, what's the point of watching if you think they will lose?. You can question the team and other fans opinions but in the end you all want one thing, to win.

Well put. :clap:

Needless to say, I agree with you there. I will question other fans' opinions when I don't agree with them, but at the end of the day, I want the 'Phins to win. How the team gets there is going to be open to discussion, debate, criticism, praise, and anything else you want to heap on and that's not a bad thing. When the 'Phins are winning every game we'll all be on the same side again...

retired opfinistic
10-22-2006, 11:57 AM
glad to see sanity here in the Depths! Let's whack the Pack!

EBMisfit
10-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Whether they're 16-0 or 0-16, as long as there's a Miami Dolphins football team, I'll be rooting for them. To win.

Besides, I think the confidence a team gets from winning far outweighs any "benefit" a better draft choice might garner it.

Bipolar Titan
10-22-2006, 02:55 PM
oh my god, what the hell is this? are some of you rooting for losing here, in this forum? dear god, it's only week 7. I can see you having a sense of apathy about the W in week 16 or something. That can drop your slot several spots. If you have NO playoff hopes at all in week 16 or 17 that's excusable, not rooting but just being apathetic about it, the W that is.

You guys haven't beat anyone apart from us and we finally got a win from a team who is about to go out and beat down the colts. I came here on the bye week to tell you that your team and it's 1-5 record suckkkkk!!! I hate my team being beaten by such a piece of crap team.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20061022_GB@MIA

what is it about dogfights and crap teams?:dolphins:

one win teams...

how about the Cardinals and Raiders later today?:sidelol:

check out this awesome video I found.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03pDY8PTh2Y

Bipolar Titan
10-22-2006, 03:16 PM
oh BOO-YAH!!!

score update!!!

it ain't looking so good!!! :lol::lol: :sidelol::sidelol: :goof:

Colorado Dolfan
10-22-2006, 03:58 PM
27-24... It ain't lookin' so bad!!!

Boo-yah!!! :sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::cooldude:

Tool. :shakeno:

Colorado Dolfan
10-22-2006, 04:09 PM
...err... Scratch that...:mad:

You're still a tool.:fire:

Colorado Dolfan
10-22-2006, 04:32 PM
I'll admit it.

The 'Phins suck.

But being a True Fan, I really don't give a crap. Been rooting for the 'Phins to win every game since 1976, and I'm not going to stop now.

Bring it on, trolls. We can handle it.

DolfanTom
10-22-2006, 05:58 PM

I see this debated on the main board constantly. Who is the true fan? Is it the guy that wants to lose out the season to obtain the highest possible draft pick? Is it the guy that wants to win as many games as possible for pride in the team week to week? Is it the fan who supports the team and players, no matter how the game went on Sunday, or is it the guy who bashes each individual that draws a penalty, or misses a block, or fumbles, etc.?

As a fan of the Fins, I always root for the win, I can't bring myself to pull for a draft pick, they are such a crap-shoot anyway. And I support my coaches and players, even if they are having an off-game (or season :shakeno: ). That doesn't mean that I don't question certain things about he organization, I am just a little more patient than some. I can suffer through this season, whether we turn the corner or not, and have enough faith in the coach and players to make another run next year. There has been a lot of bashing on the main boards regarding Saban and what he has and has not accomplished so far in Miami. I think that given more time he can really make our franchise competative. He's got a lot of cleaning up to do and I wouldn't be suprised to see some high-profile veterans get traded away for draft picks or other players next year to fill in some weak spots on the roster.
Last years 6 game run, combined with the acquisition of Pepper fooled us all into thinking we were the next great thing. Now we are seeing that our problems run deeper than we realized.

As a fan, no matter what team you root for, what are your thoughts on the 'true fan'?A true fan is one that looks forward to the next game and supports his/her team no matter what the circumstances. Based on that, I know I'm a true fan and have been for about 25 years now. When you get it in your blood and feel the joy of hte wins and the pains of the losses as if you experienced it yourself - you're a true fan!

Seasons such as this - where most of us at least thought we'd get 10 wins or more - are very frustrating! They test your fanship sometimes. But if you have the faith that it will turn around somehow someway - soon - then you are a true fan! That's me - and I think most of us here in the Depths!

You're a true fan when you're looking forward to taking on the Bears in Chicago in two weeks when there appears to be no hope of a win! I can't wait! Why? I love my team, and may this is just what we need to do to turn the season around. Maybe not the season, per say, but the direction of the franchise!

Like you say, a true fan can still be critical from time to time. That's why I'll give Saban the season mulligan to get this thing straight. Maybe he really needs to clean house a little more than he thought. We'll see how it goes in the offseason.

When you can still hold your head up high in a season like this, you're a true fan! Does that describe you all? :dolphins: :D :dolphins:

DolfanTom
10-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Bring it on, trolls. We can handle it.Yep, get your kicks in now Trolls while you can.

Colorado Dolfan
10-22-2006, 06:03 PM
A true fan is one that looks forward to the next game and supports his/her team no matter what the circumstances. Based on that, I know I'm a true fan and have been for about 25 years now. When you get it in your blood and feel the joy of hte wins and the pains of the losses as if you experienced it yourself - you're a true fan!

Seasons such as this - where most of us at least thought we'd get 10 wins or more - are very frustrating! They test your fanship sometimes. But if you have the faith that it will turn around somehow someway - soon - then you are a true fan! That's me - and I think most of us here in the Depths!

You're a true fan when you're looking forward to taking on the Bears in Chicago in two weeks when there appears to be no hope of a win! I can't wait! Why? I love my team, and may this is just what we need to do to turn the season around. Maybe not the season, per say, but the direction of the franchise!

Like you say, a true fan can still be critical from time to time. That's why I'll give Saban the season mulligan to get this thing straight. Maybe he really needs to clean house a little more than he thought. We'll see how it goes in the offseason.

When you can still hold your head up high in a season like this, you're a true fan! Does that describe you all? :dolphins: :D :dolphins:

Head's still high... I believe we can turn it around and win some tough games. Right now the 'Phins are underperforming and it's so frustrating knowing what kind of talent we have.

I am really looking forward to the Bears game... It'd be nice to knock them out of the ranks of the undefeated... :D

Kinzua
10-22-2006, 07:04 PM
oh my god, what the hell is this? are some of you rooting for losing here, in this forum? dear god, it's only week 7. I can see you having a sense of apathy about the W in week 16 or something. That can drop your slot several spots. If you have NO playoff hopes at all in week 16 or 17 that's excusable, not rooting but just being apathetic about it, the W that is.

You guys haven't beat anyone apart from us and we finally got a win from a team who is about to go out and beat down the colts. I came here on the bye week to tell you that your team and it's 1-5 record suckkkkk!!! I hate my team being beaten by such a piece of crap team.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20061022_GB@MIA

what is it about dogfights and crap teams?:dolphins:

one win teams...

how about the Cardinals and Raiders later today?:sidelol:

check out this awesome video I found.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03pDY8PTh2Y

Actually, the Fin fans who post in the Depths aren't among the ones wishing for their team to lose to get a better draft pick. That's some of the bandwagoners and homers over on the Main Board. I think every team but Chicago, Indy, and NE have some of those.

Kinzua
10-22-2006, 07:08 PM

Very well said, L2g. :clap:

like2god
10-22-2006, 11:13 PM
Very well said, L2g. :clap:
It's about time that I said something intelligent, right? :goof:

You know you were thinking it. :lol:

TexasFish20
10-23-2006, 12:51 AM
Yeah a true fan sticks by the team regardless of how bad they are.

retired opfinistic
10-23-2006, 09:25 AM
When you can still hold your head up high in a season like this, you're a true fan! Does that describe you all? :dolphins: :D :dolphins:my head is high.

DolfanTom
10-23-2006, 09:34 AM
my head is high.Excellent!

Time to beat the Bears!!

retired opfinistic
10-23-2006, 09:41 AM
Excellent!

Time to beat the Bears!!Cinderella Story.

Whew, yesterday was a kick in the nuts. I'm starting to think we might not take the division and we'll have to shoot for a Wild Card berth, then win three road playoff games before winning the Super Bowl at home....:wink: .....it's a tough row to hoe, but we can do it.

Disclaimer: The above statement was an example of blatant homerism, please don't spit coffee onto your computer while reading.

DolfanTom
10-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Cinderella Story.

Whew, yesterday was a kick in the nuts. I'm starting to think we might not take the division and we'll have to shoot for a Wild Card berth, then win three road playoff games before winning the Super Bowl at home....:wink: .....it's a tough row to hoe, but we can do it.

Disclaimer: The above statement was an example of blatant homerism, please don't spit coffee onto your computer while reading.The sad part is I do see us putting a string of wins together in the second half. Not exaclty six in a row, or any unprecedented cinderella story (although, what the heck! :wink:). I could see us - maybe - getting as far as 7-9, which will really suck looking back at these first-half losses.

Yeah, I think the division might be tough too now :lol:

retired opfinistic
10-23-2006, 10:48 AM
The sad part is I do see us putting a string of wins together in the second half. Not exaclty six in a row, or any unprecedented cinderella story (although, what the heck! :wink:). I could see us - maybe - getting as far as 7-9, which will really suck looking back at these first-half losses.

Yeah, I think the division might be tough too now :lol:Ha! We now go into the 'tough' part of the season, thank God for beer, it's been getting me through these Sundays.

like2god
10-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Ha! We now go into the 'tough' part of the season, thank God for beer, it's been getting me through these Sundays.

Maybe I should take up drinking. :lol:

retired opfinistic
10-23-2006, 10:51 AM
Maybe I should take up drinking. :lol:It helps!!!:lol:

DolfanTom
10-23-2006, 10:52 AM
It helps!!!:lol:Problem is I drink a lot of Sam Adams - which I swear in some way ends up helping the Patriots. I can't prove it, but I'm on to them!

Prophet
10-23-2006, 10:52 AM
The true fan debate is tired. Bottom-line, if you are not sure whether you are a true fan or not you are not one. That is the test.

retired opfinistic
10-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Problem is I drink a lot of Sam Adams - which I swear in some way ends up helping the Patriots. I can't prove it, but I'm on to them!switch to Red Stripe, mon!!!

DolfanTom
10-23-2006, 10:58 AM
switch to Red Stripe, mon!!!Red Stripe makes you think the Dolphins are good!

HooRAY Beer!

:happydrin

retired opfinistic
10-23-2006, 11:01 AM
The true fan debate is tired. Bottom-line, if you are not sure whether you are a true fan or not you are not one. That is the test.I'm not questioning my fanaticism, I just find the finger pointing and accusations both curious and amusing. I can see both sides of the debate, and understand the reasoning behind them, for the most part. I just find it impossible to root for a loss.

DolfanTom
10-23-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm not questioning my fanaticism, I just find the finger pointing and accusations both curious and amusing. I can see both sides of the debate, and understand the reasoning behind them, for the most part. I just find it impossible to root for a loss.I can never root for a loss.

And losing to help your draft positioning theory doesn't hold water. We got our best player in our franchises history picking 27th.

like2god
10-23-2006, 11:04 AM
The true fan debate is tired. Bottom-line, if you are not sure whether you are a true fan or not you are not one. That is the test.

Go take a look at the main board, it is full of people that believe that they are true fans but change their loyalties and opinions depending on which way the wind is blowing. I haven't been there in a while but I remember guys calling for the Phins to sign LaVar Arrington and then bashing him when he signed with the Giants by saying that he is washed up and overrated. I remember guys saying that Saban was the savior, only to change their mind this season. I remember people that hated Ricky and then welcomed him back with open arms last year, it gets frustrating not knowing if the people you are talking to will believe what they say tomorrow. I know that there are some very good posters there but the vocal minority ruined it for me, there is a reason it is called the zoo.

True fans can question other fan's opinions, but they don't flip flop on their own when things go bad. Thinking that you are a true fan doesn't necessarily mean that you are one and I don't know of anybody that will admit to being a bandwagon jumper.

retired opfinistic
10-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Go take a look at the main board, it is full of people that believe that they are true fans but change their loyalties and opinions depending on which way the wind is blowing. I haven't been there in a while but I remember guys calling for the Phins to sign LaVar Arrington and then bashing him when he signed with the Giants by saying that he is washed up and overrated. I remember guys saying that Saban was the savior, only to change their mind this season. I remember people that hated Ricky and then welcomed him back with open arms last year, it gets frustrating not knowing if the people you are talking to will believe what they say tomorrow. I know that there are some very good posters there but the vocal minority ruined it for me, there is a reason it is called the zoo.

True fans can question other fan's opinions, but they don't flip flop on their own when things go bad. Thinking that you are a true fan doesn't necessarily mean that you are one and I don't know of anybody that will admit to being a bandwagon jumper.Reading the MB is akin to reading John Kerry's speeches. More flip-flops than a Bahamian bar.

Colorado Dolfan
10-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Reading the MB is akin to reading John Kerry's speeches. More flip-flops than a Bahamian bar.

:sidelol:

Link
10-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Reading the MB is akin to reading John Kerry's speeches. More flip-flops than a Bahamian bar.

:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

So true.

Colorado Dolfan
10-24-2006, 12:45 PM
:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

So true.

You think you're better than me, Link?!?

:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

There... beat that...

:wink:

like2god
10-24-2006, 01:51 PM
Sad but true :lol:

PatriotDynasty
10-24-2006, 07:16 PM
I'm the only true dolphins fan here.

Link
10-24-2006, 07:27 PM
Hey, Colorado Dolfan!

:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

:nana:

like2god
10-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Hey, Colorado Dolfan!

:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

:nana:

Hmmmmm........me thinks the use of the "nanana" smiley will give CD the win. You see, you used the "nanana" smiley as your 10th smiley, CD can now turn around and post 10 "ROFL" smilies to top you.

But then again, maybe I am reading way too much into this. lol

( I didn't have room for a smiley )

Link
10-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Hmmmmm........me thinks the use of the "nanana" smiley will give CD the win. You see, you used the "nanana" smiley as your 10th smiley, CD can now turn around and post 10 "ROFL" smilies to top you.

But then again, maybe I am reading way too much into this. lol

( I didn't have room for a smiley )

Good point! Ok, how's this?

:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mimicked Kinzua so much it's going to make me nuts.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

like2god
10-24-2006, 08:51 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mimicked Kinzua so much it's going to make me nuts.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, it happens. :lol:

Link
10-24-2006, 08:53 PM
Yeah, it happens. :lol:

You made me! :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

MOMMY MAKE IT GO AWAY!!! :goof:

retired opfinistic
10-25-2006, 10:15 AM
I'm the only true dolphins fan here.just cause your girl smells like fish doesn't make you a fin fan.:D