PDA

View Full Version : More College Grads Living With Parents

BAMAPHIN 22
10-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Twenty years ago, you graduated college and got a place of your own — no matter how small or squalid. For today's post-grads, life is a little cushier.

Increasingly, parents are playing greater financial roles to make that transition a little easier. Half of this year's graduates have moved back home and 44 percent of last year's graduates are still there, while 34 percent of 18- to 34-year-olds get cash from mom and dad — an average of $3,410 a year.

Sarah Baumgartner worked at a radio station in college and thought it would be easy to pursue that career. It wasn't.

"You work and work and work to get this degree, and now you have it, and in my case you're delivering pizzas to your old high school," she told The Early Show correspondent Cynthia Bowers. "I'm just figuring things out right now, and it was nerve-wracking and you feel like a failure kind of, coming back home."

Her mother, Gail, let her move back in.

"I think that sometimes you need a little break and, you know, home is where you can fall when you need to," she said.

Elina Furman lived with her parents for three years after college and then another seven with her mother. She wrote "Boomerang Nation: How to Survive Living with Your Parents ... The Second Time Around." Furman said that the high cost of housing is pricing young people out of the market. She also blamed the national addiction to credit cards and said some young people carry balances on three or four cards.

Furman said that because people are living longer, they have more time to explore opportunities.

"We have seen our parents do that to get the two kids and house in the suburbs. Now we have choices and are taking our time," she said.
Furman also said parents provide emotional support to their children.

"Twenties are a crazy time where you are vulnerable and transitioning and being home can be comforting," she said.

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/more-college-grads-living-with-parents/20061016130709990008?cid=2249

phinpunk14
10-22-2006, 09:19 PM
i'm afraid of this... i graduate with two degrees this may but no job waiting for me.

Blade
10-23-2006, 08:05 AM
Yea, i fall into the group that moved back home after college. I am still lookin for that one job that i will be doin the rest of my life. The real world sucks.

Stitches
10-23-2006, 08:42 AM
I don't foresee living at home after I graduate at least. That's something that keeps me working towards my degree.

Blade
10-23-2006, 08:45 AM
Either did I, but when i couldnt find a decent payin job. I had no choice.

ch19079
10-23-2006, 08:49 AM
i lived at home for 7 months after i graduated. I got a job after 3 months but had to wait untill my friends lease ran out before we could get a apartment. Worked out well since i didnt have any bills to pay for 4 months and had a good amount in savings when i moved out.

If i was smart i would have looked for a job before i graduated but i didnt and had to go back home. it sucked but it worked out in the end.

Stitches
10-23-2006, 09:13 AM
Either did I, but when i couldnt find a decent payin job. I had no choice.

Well following history, I shouldn't have a problem securing a job within 60 days of graduating. And I don't count that as living at home. Plus I'm pretty sure wherever I am my lease wouldn't run out until end of june which would be almost 60 days after graduation.

steeda
10-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Hey man, all you college kids can blame these ******* investors that love to flip houses during the boom from 2000-2005. Unfortunately, its going to be very hard for me to afford a house in south florida unless I start my own business.

UltraDol-Fan
10-23-2006, 09:40 AM
If i was smart i would have looked for a job before i graduated but i didnt and had to go back home. it sucked but it worked out in the end.

same here, I wish I had had a job lined up when I graduated...all those unpaid internships that I never pursued hurt me, but at the time I couldn't afford school without paying work