PDA

View Full Version : U of L v. West Virginia

zachequalsgod
10-23-2006, 02:36 AM
It's less than two weeks away and both teams have a bye this week. This game could potentially reveal 1/2 of the National Championship game. I've been waiting all year for this game.

Let's talk some football.

HysterikiLL
10-23-2006, 05:05 AM
Man, I've been waiting so ****ing long for this one. This is really UofL's year if you ask me. I love it. Sucks Bush isn't going to be there, but Smith and Stripling have been doing well. Brohm is going to tear them up too.

And on a side note, I just played this game on NCAA today and beat those ****ers 31-10 :wink: Home it's a sign of things to come :yes:

Go 'Ville!!!

Pennington's Rocket Arm
10-23-2006, 08:51 AM
i dunno who to root for. this is going to be an amazing game. probably the best thursday game ever!

Stitches
10-23-2006, 09:14 AM
i dunno who to root for. this is going to be an amazing game. probably the best thursday game ever!

lol, watch it end up being completely onesided or like a 6-3 game now that you have said that. :lol:

Bumpus
10-23-2006, 10:37 AM
It's going to be a point-festival. I really see both offenses being able to put up TONS of points. However, HysterikiLL, WVU wins by 7. :wink:

HOW 'BOUT 'DEM 'EERS!!!

ZolarZ_GoPhins
10-23-2006, 10:52 AM
lol, watch it end up being completely onesided or like a 6-3 game now that you have said that. :lol:

That would be very unlikely. They would have to be playing in a blizzard or something for that kind of score. I say the winner of this game puts up near 40 points.

WVU is hard to run on but they have let teams pass on them this season. Brohm is going to have to have a good game in order to beat WVU.

WVU is gonna run the ball we all know that. I expect them to try and get Pat White to toss a few balls early to lossen things up. I just really see both teams scoring alot of points.

I think WVU is the better team and will give UofL their only loss this season. Looking forward to this one.

Let's Goooooo Mountaineers!!!

LouPhinFan
10-23-2006, 01:49 PM
I think the key is U of L's defense. They have been consistently stopping the run this year. They're going to do what UConn did and load the box and make Pat White throw the ball. We have way better players in the secondary than UConn, and they will make the plays that UConn coudn't. To be honest with you I'm more worried about playing at Pitt and Rutgers than I am about playing WVU at home. WVU's defense doesn't scare anyone. Mark my words Brohm WILL pick their defense apart.

U of L 41
WVU 21

Stitches
10-23-2006, 01:59 PM
I think the key is U of L's defense. They have been consistently stopping the run this year. They're going to do what UConn did and load the box and make Pat White throw the ball. We have way better players in the secondary than UConn, and they will make the plays that UConn coudn't. To be honest with you I'm more worried about playing at Pitt and Rutgers than I am about playing WVU at home. WVU's defense doesn't scare anyone. Mark my words Brohm WILL pick their defense apart.

U of L 41
WVU 21

Noted!

DonShula84
10-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Hopefully Brohm is back to his old self for the game. I'd love to see U of L win big in this one.

zachequalsgod
10-23-2006, 11:10 PM
I want to see Louisville play for 4 Quarters. IMO they havn't played 4 quarters of football this season. They usually come out soft in the first half. If they come out soft against WV, look out. I think people overlook Louisville's D because their offense is SO productive, but this Defense is not a push over.

20-37 Louisville.

I'm excited to see how the "black out" concept works out.

GO CARDS!!!!!!

FLOUNDER
10-23-2006, 11:33 PM
Our passing game "when needed" has been very efficient... I believe i read somewhere that pat white completed 70% of his throws

This game will come down to defense, and who has the ball on the final posession

WVU- 31
Louisville - 24

LouPhinFan
10-24-2006, 01:37 AM
Our passing game "when needed" has been very efficient... I believe i read somewhere that pat white completed 70% of his throws

Pat White currently has a completion precentage of 68.8%. He has attempted 93 passes and completed 64, that for 7 games!:eek:

Brohm's percentage now stands at 60.6%, 83 completed with 137 attempts and that's for 4.5 games (approximately).

I'll be honest with you, I don't think WVU can win the game if they have to throw the ball. You've got a sophomore, run-first QB who's only attempted 93 passes all season against suspect teams and he's got to throw the ball against a better than average defense? That's a receipe for disaster if I've ever seen one. This won't be UConn's defense blowing coverages and letting him throw to wide open receivers! He's going to actually have throw to covered men! I could be wrong, but I don't see it happening if they don't get their running game going.

HysterikiLL
10-24-2006, 04:40 AM
I want to see Louisville play for 4 Quarters. IMO they havn't played 4 quarters of football this season. They usually come out soft in the first half. If they come out soft against WV, look out. I think people overlook Louisville's D because their offense is SO productive, but this Defense is not a push over.

20-37 Louisville.

I'm excited to see how the "black out" concept works out.

GO CARDS!!!!!!

what's the black out concept?

personally I'd like to see the "white out" concept....get it...white out...pat white....... :whistle: :lol:

anyway, can't wait for this game. The game that made me a UofL fan was a thursday night game -- that game against FSU a few years ago. Ragone was the QB...overtime win :drool:

305TillIDie
10-24-2006, 05:14 AM
cant wait to see my boy Johnny Dingle in action..go WVU :yes:

ZolarZ_GoPhins
10-24-2006, 06:26 AM
Pat White currently has a completion precentage of 68.8%. He has attempted 93 passes and completed 64, that for 7 games!:eek:

Brohm's percentage now stands at 60.6%, 83 completed with 137 attempts and that's for 4.5 games (approximately).

I'll be honest with you, I don't think WVU can win the game if they have to throw the ball. You've got a sophomore, run-first QB who's only attempted 93 passes all season against suspect teams and he's got to throw the ball against a better than average defense? That's a receipe for disaster if I've ever seen one. This won't be UConn's defense blowing coverages and letting him throw to wide open receivers! He's going to actually have throw to covered men! I could be wrong, but I don't see it happening if they don't get their running game going.

If WVU can't run the ball and has to throw the ball to win then yes UofL should win the game. That is one big IF.

WVU will run the ball and they will break off a few big runs as well. Will they run the ball effectively every time.. No. They will run the ball and I don't think anyone in the country can stop it.

WVU will run the ball and UofL will pass it. Neither team can effectively stop either offense from doing what they do best. The hope is to limit big plays and hope for the other team to make mistakes on O.

Here is why I think WVU wins the game.

*Special Teams*
WVU has the better return game in both PR and KR. WVU also does better on Kick Coverage. Keep an eye on starting field postion in this game. I think it will lead to WVU having the shorter field and being able to put presure on UofL.

Turnovers are always key to any game and both teams hold onto the ball well. If WVU can score early they put pressure on UofL to try and force passes. WVU has been pretty good at picking off the QB this season and hopefully we can get a few tossed our way in this game.

WVU wins the game, I don't like picking scores so I will not attempt it. Should be a great game though. Here's to no one getting hurt and the BigEast putting on the best show in football this year.

LouPhinFan
10-24-2006, 08:55 AM
Here is why I think WVU wins the game.

*Special Teams*
WVU has the better return game in both PR and KR. WVU also does better on Kick Coverage. Keep an eye on starting field postion in this game. I think it will lead to WVU having the shorter field and being able to put presure on UofL.
That's a good point. U of L's return and coverage on special teams has been subpar this year.

Turnovers are always key to any game and both teams hold onto the ball well. If WVU can score early they put pressure on UofL to try and force passes. WVU has been pretty good at picking off the QB this season and hopefully we can get a few tossed our way in this game.

The big thing you have to do to get Brohm to throw interceptions is apply pressure. WVU's pass rush has gotten better, but its still nothing to be feared. U of L has a big, strong, experienced O-line. We'll just have to see what happens there...

WVU wins the game, I don't like picking scores so I will not attempt it. Should be a great game though. Here's to no one getting hurt and the BigEast putting on the best show in football this year.
Amen to that. All the people that keep saying "Big Least" will eat crow after this game.

Here's to a great game for both teams!

GO CARDS!!

DonShula84
10-24-2006, 06:24 PM
If WVU can't run the ball and has to throw the ball to win then yes UofL should win the game. That is one big IF.

WVU will run the ball and they will break off a few big runs as well. Will they run the ball effectively every time.. No. They will run the ball and I don't think anyone in the country can stop it.

WVU will run the ball and UofL will pass it. Neither team can effectively stop either offense from doing what they do best. The hope is to limit big plays and hope for the other team to make mistakes on O.

I agree with that. And the reason that I think WVU struggles is that they havent played a team who can score with them, or even potentially get a lead. They fall behind to UConn but they know UConn doesnt have play makers who can score on any play. WVU can just keep handing the ball off knowing they will break one eventually. If you are playing from behind on a team that can keep scoring it will be interesting to see if they are still patient with the run or if they will try to force White to throw the ball.

HysterikiLL
10-24-2006, 06:46 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/10/24/louisville.stadium.ap/index.html - UofL stadium capacity to increase 50%. Looks like Louisville is finally going to become a perennial real-deal football powerhouse. The Big East is on it's way to becoming damn nasty.

FLOUNDER
10-24-2006, 06:53 PM
We'll just have to wait til next thursday for all the smack talk and predictions come to a rest, and let the real game be played

zachequalsgod
10-24-2006, 11:39 PM
what's the black out concept?

All 'Ville fans are wearing black to the game... opposed to the usual red or black. It should look really good on TV. I really wanted to be there for this game, but my pocket hurt looking at these tickets on eBay.

Here's to no one getting hurt and the BigEast putting on the best show in football this year.

:ffic: Totally agree. I also look forward to what is going to be a great rivalry.

I know everyone is stuck on Louisville's passing game, but what about these running backs? After losing Bush in the season opener, they are still averaging 216 yrds/game. No, these are not outstanding numbers, BUT when you consider what a blow losing bush is this = outstanding numbers. You've got to mention Stripling and Smith.

BTW Louisville hasn't lost in the Pizza Box since 2k3.

GO CARDS

ZolarZ_GoPhins
10-25-2006, 05:36 AM
The big thing you have to do to get Brohm to throw interceptions is apply pressure. WVU's pass rush has gotten better, but its still nothing to be feared. U of L has a big, strong, experienced O-line. We'll just have to see what happens there...

Yeah that is sorta the reason we play that funky 3-3-5 stack Defense. I heard on our local radio that if Coach Rod had the players that we would play a more 'Normal' style D. We use the extra DBs or a LB to blitz from different positions in order to mess up blocking schemes and get pressure. Sorta the same way the 3-4 works in NFL. Problem is you can't colapse a pocket with this D and you basically are chasing a QB or hope to catch him not looking.

Few teams use this D and it does give some people problems. With everyone preparing for WVU now and knowing what our D is we haven't been able to get pressure on the QB.

That is why I said it is so important for us to get early leads. The pressure of being behind makes QBs do more then they are game planning to do.

I am sure both coaches have a few tricks they are going to pull out of their bags next week. The 5 wide set UofL did last year really tore us up in the first half but we came out after halftime and did well adjusting.

I just have a feeling Pat White will toss the ball early. If he is sucessfull it will really open up the game plan alot. That said I still think we will run the ball at least twice what we pass it.

Another thing about WVU not geting many sacks this year I think has two major reasons.
1- We are normally playing with a lead and therefore don't blitz much. Along with this our 3 D-linemen are geared more to run stopping then blitzing and we don't get good pressure from them.
2- We have faced some good running type QBs. When pressured with a blitzing DB or LB they have done a good job running away from pressure and buying time. I am not real sure how fast Brohm is but I would bet he will be at least chased and flushed from the pocket. Just depends on if he can find an open guy or out run the blitzer.

LouPhinFan
10-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Well it sounds like the West Virginia media is trying to fan the flames because Petrino won't let his players talk to them. Here's the story below to explain it to all the West Virginia fans on the board. We aren't dissing your media at all:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006610260441

It seems Nate Harris opened can of worms with what he said before the Miami game...

FLOUNDER
10-26-2006, 04:43 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

zachequalsgod
10-26-2006, 10:35 PM
http://www.mountaineernation.net/images/avatars/495500095453fc535aa158.jpg

:shakeno:

FLOUNDER
10-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestVirginiaFan
http://www.mountaineernation.net/ima...fc535aa158.jpg (http://www.mountaineernation.net/images/avatars/495500095453fc535aa158.jpg)

:shakeno:

We'll just have to see. Your team has looked shaky as of late. We'll see if that carries over against our high powered offense

LouPhinFan
10-26-2006, 10:54 PM
We'll just have to see. Your team has looked shaky as of late. We'll see if that carries over against our high powered offense

Actually, our offense has looked shaky. Our defense has been stellar so far.

FLOUNDER
10-26-2006, 11:31 PM
Well best of luck next thursday man, truly, after all this. Atleast represent the big-east in a BCS game if you guys do beat us

adamprez2003
10-26-2006, 11:59 PM
All 'Ville fans are wearing black to the game... opposed to the usual red or black. It should look really good on TV. I really wanted to be there for this game, but my pocket hurt looking at these tickets on eBay.

:ffic: Totally agree. I also look forward to what is going to be a great rivalry.

I know everyone is stuck on Louisville's passing game, but what about these running backs? After losing Bush in the season opener, they are still averaging 216 yrds/game. No, these are not outstanding numbers, BUT when you consider what a blow losing bush is this = outstanding numbers. You've got to mention Stripling and Smith.

BTW Louisville hasn't lost in the Pizza Box since 2k3.

GO CARDS

that to me is the key. if louisville can run they win. if they are forced to pass and brohm's thumb is still affecting him i think they lose. i dont know where they found all these running backs but louisville is doing some nasty recruiting lately

LouPhinFan
10-27-2006, 12:06 AM
that to me is the key. if louisville can run they win. if they are forced to pass and brohm's thumb is still affecting him i think they lose. i dont know where they found all these running backs but louisville is doing some nasty recruiting lately

Thats the reason U of L's offense has sputtered lately because they've had trouble running the ball. They tried to start Kolby Smith, but runs best as a back up, coming in to spell the main runner. Against Syracuse last week they started the freshman Anthony Allen and then brought Smith in later and he ended up with over 100 yards and 2 TDs. They use George Stripling in passing situations because he is "Steve Slaton" fast and runs the screen and swing pass to perfection. That's what you'll see in a week. They start Allen, bring Smith in and use Stripling in passing situations. One or 2 of them could end up with over 100 yards.

Jaydog57
10-27-2006, 12:33 AM
W Virginia is going down like a bad turd down the toilet, Louisville will flush them, watch and see. :evil:

ZolarZ_GoPhins
10-27-2006, 06:16 AM
Well it sounds like the West Virginia media is trying to fan the flames because Petrino won't let his players talk to them. Here's the story below to explain it to all the West Virginia fans on the board. We aren't dissing your media at all:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006610260441

It seems Nate Harris opened can of worms with what he said before the Miami game...

I heard about that and wondered what was the deal really with not letting players talk to the media. Really it isn't a big deal as far as the game goes. Just you know how media folks are when they can't get access to players and stuff to write their stories. I could really care less either way.

The biggest deal here really in reguards to the game is if the WVU band will get to play at half-time. I guess they told them early on they couldn't play then said they could. So WVU booked the bus tickets and now the band is coming. Now it seems with ESPN running the show and with TV having a set schedule they don't know if there will be time to let the WVU band play. WVU fans love the band and along with the expense to bus them over there it is sorta turning into a fuss.

Really another thing I could care less about since you can't watch the half-time show on TV. It is cool that the band gets to go watch the game even if they don't play at half-time. Anyways just thought I would share that tidbit.

FLOUNDER
10-27-2006, 04:31 PM
W Virginia is going down like a bad turd down the toilet, Louisville will flush them, watch and see. :evil:

Coming from a canes fan, that says alot

Roman529
10-27-2006, 06:03 PM
WVU will win it by 14 points.

LouPhinFan
10-27-2006, 07:22 PM
The biggest deal here really in reguards to the game is if the WVU band will get to play at half-time. I guess they told them early on they couldn't play then said they could. So WVU booked the bus tickets and now the band is coming. Now it seems with ESPN running the show and with TV having a set schedule they don't know if there will be time to let the WVU band play. WVU fans love the band and along with the expense to bus them over there it is sorta turning into a fuss.

Really another thing I could care less about since you can't watch the half-time show on TV. It is cool that the band gets to go watch the game even if they don't play at half-time. Anyways just thought I would share that tidbit.

Yeah originally they told the WVU band they could play. They had to change it because of all the crap they squeezed into the halftime show. U of L's band is only getting about 3 minutes for their show. The rest of the time is taken up by U of L honoring every Tom, Jane, Dick, and Harry that has every had anything remotely to do with Cardinal Athletics. :rolleyes:

FLOUNDER
10-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Yeah originally they told the WVU band they could play. They had to change it because of all the crap they squeezed into the halftime show. U of L's band is only getting about 3 minutes for their show. The rest of the time is taken up by U of L honoring every Tom, Jane, Dick, and Harry that has every had anything remotely to do with Cardinal Athletics. :rolleyes:

I think WVU and Louisvilles band should both get to play. Enjoyment for both fans. I herd UoL has a good band. And i've witnessed WVU's band first hand and there very excellent

LET THEM PLAY!!!!!

LouPhinFan
10-28-2006, 08:51 AM
I think WVU and Louisvilles band should both get to play. Enjoyment for both fans. I herd UoL has a good band. And i've witnessed WVU's band first hand and there very excellent

LET THEM PLAY!!!!!

I was a member of the Cardinal Marching and Pep Bands for 4 years. From what I understand they now have just over 200 members now. That's double what they had when I was there in late 1990's/early 2000. Is it true that WVU has the largest marching band in the country?

FLOUNDER
10-28-2006, 12:38 PM
I deffinetly say were in the top 3, but i couldnt give you an exact number of how many members we currently have

Were big, i knoiw that

ZolarZ_GoPhins
10-29-2006, 08:46 AM
I was a member of the Cardinal Marching and Pep Bands for 4 years. From what I understand they now have just over 200 members now. That's double what they had when I was there in late 1990's/early 2000. Is it true that WVU has the largest marching band in the country?

WVU Marching band, "The Pride of West Virginia" has 375 members. I have no idea how that ranks nationally.

LouPhinFan
10-29-2006, 02:25 PM
WVU Marching band, "The Pride of West Virginia" has 375 members. I have no idea how that ranks nationally.

I'm not sure exactly where they rank, but with 375 members :eek: , they rank pretty high.

Just as example, per their websites:

Ohio State: 225 members, but only 192 march
Penn State: 310
USC: 275
Michigan: 270
I couldn't find a number for Texas's band.

FLOUNDER
10-29-2006, 06:15 PM
WOW, i'd say that has to be one of the biggest, considering those schools listed are BIG schools and such, and the "big house" michigans has the most seating and such

John Biello
10-29-2006, 07:16 PM
wv is going to take them behind the woodshed.

FLOUNDER
10-29-2006, 07:25 PM
wv is going to take them behind the woodshed.

I sure hope so man, i picture it a close game at first, then we get up by 14, there crowed gets out of it and its smooth sailing from there

zachequalsgod
10-29-2006, 09:28 PM
I sure hope so man, i picture it a close game at first, then we get up by 14, there crowed gets out of it and its smooth sailing from there:monkeyl:

Bring that faith to The Ville, cuz you're leaving with nothing!

USC just made this game a lot bigger than it already was, or should I say Oregon made this game a lot bigger than it already was?

Blade
10-30-2006, 12:28 AM
I know i should know this but i cant remember right now, wheres the game played at?

LouPhinFan
10-30-2006, 12:35 AM
I know i should know this but i cant remember right now, wheres the game played at?

Its in Louisville.

MikeO
10-30-2006, 05:34 AM
I think WV wins.

But, if L'ville has a brain they will stack the box, blitz a ton, and force WV to pass and make White beat them with the pass. Becuase if they don't, WV will run all over them and it will be a 2hr 30min game, and WV will win by about 14-17pts with the clock never stopping!! It will be over before L'ville get's warmed up.

LouPhinFan
10-30-2006, 09:26 AM
I think WV wins.

But, if L'ville has a brain they will stack the box, blitz a ton, and force WV to pass and make White beat them with the pass. Becuase if they don't, WV will run all over them and it will be a 2hr 30min game, and WV will win by about 14-17pts with the clock never stopping!! It will be over before L'ville get's warmed up.

Well it just so happens that that is U of L's forte. Blitz and stop the run. That's what their defense is built on...

FLOUNDER
10-30-2006, 10:06 AM
We will have to see what happens. WVU's offensive line can open up holes and pick up the blitz, all-american center mozes and sheffy and others on the O-line

LouPhinFan
10-31-2006, 12:36 PM
Early Line per National Sports Services Inc.:

Favorite: Louisville by 1.5

By kickoff the odds will probably be even.

Motion
10-31-2006, 12:46 PM
Can't wait to see this one.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
10-31-2006, 12:55 PM
Early Line per National Sports Services Inc.:

Favorite: Louisville by 1.5

By kickoff the odds will probably be even.
louisville gets 3 points automatically, so WVU is technically favored here.

FLOUNDER
10-31-2006, 09:49 PM
It will be a good game, i cant wait!

zachequalsgod
11-01-2006, 12:57 AM

So WVU is actually favored by 1.5 points?

I'm so ready just to get it over with, the anticipation is killing me.

LouPhinFan
11-01-2006, 10:30 AM
So WVU is actually favored by 1.5 points?

I'm so ready just to get it over with, the anticipation is killing me.

Yeah, home teams get an automatic 3 points for the "home field advantage."

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-01-2006, 10:57 AM
i really can't wait for this game. has there ever been a thursday night game between two teams ranked this high?

MikeO
11-01-2006, 11:06 AM
i really can't wait for this game. has there ever been a thursday night game between two teams ranked this high?

FSU-UVA was a big thursday night game some 10 years ago. I know FSU was ranked high but I'm not sure how high UVA was ranked

Marino2Clayton
11-01-2006, 11:30 AM
FSU-UVA was a big thursday night game some 10 years ago. I know FSU was ranked high but I'm not sure how high UVA was ranked

Are you talking about the Tiki game? FSU was a big fav heading in.

LouPhinFan
11-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Are you talking about the Tiki game? FSU was a big fav heading in.

Yeah I seriously doubt UVA was ranked in the top 5. I think this is the biggest game ESPN has ever had on a Thursday night.

DBoston80
11-01-2006, 12:57 PM

Cool so If Louiville LOSES by 1 point..Ill tell my bookie "technically" they were GETTING 2 points so gimme my goshdarn money back!!!!

..just kidding givin u a hard time.

LouPhinFan
11-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Cool so If Louiville LOSES by 1 point..Ill tell my bookie "technically" they were GETTING 2 points so gimme my goshdarn money back!!!!

..just kidding givin u a hard time.

:sidelol:

FLOUNDER
11-01-2006, 10:42 PM
ESPN's take on tommorow nights game

West Virginia vs. Louisville Defense This is a classic match up of strength-versus-strength, as the nation's top-ranked rushing attack attempts to penetrate the eighth-ranked run defense. West Virginia QB Pat White and RB Steve Slaton make up college football's most lethal backfield tandem. Together, they account for 239.7 of the team's 319 rushing yards per game. White is a slippery runner with good open-field elusiveness and Slaton possesses good power for his size to go along with rare acceleration in space. They are both aided by a West Virginia offensive line that has become the benchmark for efficiency in college football today. The unit makes up for its overall lack of size with exceptional technique, quickness and effort. The interior trio of OC Dan Mozes and guards Jeremy Sheffey and Greg Isdaner are the strength of this unit, which is important considering how disruptive the massive interior tandem of Amobi Okoye and Willie Williams can be versus the run. MLB Nate Harris was demoted two games ago for his poor play. His replacement, Lamar Myles, is a budding star, but the 215-pound sophomore can be exposed for his lack of size and inexperience in this game. The rest of the Cardinals' linebackers are also undersized, which means they'll need to be protected in order to make plays from sideline-to-sideline versus the run.

Rich Rodriguez's offensive scheme is predicated on spreading opponents out and using great blocking angles and technique to generate creases in the running game. If his offensive line proves capable of overcoming a distinct size advantage inside versus Okoye (305 pounds) and Williams (300 pounds), Louisville's smallish trio of linebackers (Myles, WLB Preston Smith and SLB Malik Jackson) should be effectively neutralized.

The Mountaineers are rarely forced into obvious throwing situations, but White has proven capable of beating opponents through the air when necessary. White's accuracy is less than ideal, but he does throw well on the run and shows good touch on the deep ball. The biggest key for the Cardinals' defense is to load up with eight- and nine-man fronts versus the run without leaving themselves vulnerable to the deep ball. That means DC's Gavin Smart and William Gay will be under lots of pressure when left alone in man-to-man coverage versus speedy receivers Darius Reynaud and Brandon Myles. Reynaud leads the team with 25 receptions and is extremely dangerous after the catch. Myles also does a fine job as a route runner and is effective catching the ball in traffic. The most recent receiver to provide some big plays is Rayshawn Bolden, who is averaging 21.2 yards on just five receptions. The Cardinals cannot afford to play much nickel personnel with five defensive backs on the field, so expect the Mountaineers to target Bolden down the seams from the slot position when they see a safety locked on him. A few big receptions from the trio of Reynaud, Myles and Bolden could ultimately prove to be backbreaking for Louisville in this game.

Louisville Offense vs. West Virginia Defense QB Brian Brohm is the biggest X-factor in Thursday night's game. When he is in full form, few passers in the nation are as efficient and accurate as Brohm. However, the 6-foot-4, 224-pound junior has not found his rhythm since returning from a thumb injury that sidelined him for two games earlier this season. Louisville has averaged just 25.5 points in two past two games with Brohm throwing two interceptions compared to just one touchdown. In contrast, the team was averaging 44 points in the previous five games with the quarterbacks (Brohm and Hunter Cantwell) tossing eight touchdowns and just three interceptions. Some statistics can be deceiving, but those are difficult to ignore.

Meanwhile, Louisville has been forced to show more dedication to the running game. The good news is that RB Kolby Smith is coming off a career game with 165 yards and two touchdowns versus Syracuse. Smith is a punishing north-south runner at 215 pounds and shows straight-line some burst in the open field. The bad news, however, is that Smith pales in comparison to injured starter Michael Bush, who played a key role in last year's game versus West Virginia with four touchdowns. At 250 pounds with great speed, power, vision, hands and blocking skills, Bush provided a level of versatility that few backs can attain. While Smith should provide quality ground production between the tackles, he lacks the elusiveness and receiving skills to cause severe issues for WLB Kevin McLee and the Mountaineers' defensive front-seven.

West Virginia's biggest Achilles' heel on defense is the amount of big plays it surrenders through the air. Its defensive secondary is undisciplined and safeties Ridwan Malik and Quinton Andrews get caught peaking in the backfield too frequently on play action, which leads to gaping holes down the middle of the field in coverage. Louisville also has great perimeter matchups to target in the passing game with receivers Mario Urrutia and Harry Douglas versus cornerbacks Vaughn Rivers and Larry Williams. The matchup between Urrutia and Rivers is especially enticing because of Urrutia's 9-inch height advantage. If Brohm gets into an early rhythm and returns to early-season form, the Mountaineer secondary will be in for a long evening. However, after studying Brohm's hesitancy as a decision maker and uncharacteristically erratic arm, it seems more likely that Louisville will squander too many offensive opportunities to pull off the victory.

Special Teams
Louisville's Art Carmody is one of the most accurate place kickers in the nation. He has connected on 11-of-12 field goal attempts this season, including a long of 51 yards. PT Todd Flannery is averaging a respectable 39.7 yards per punt while landing four of his 17 attempts inside the opponents' 20-yard line. West Virginia is also solid in the kicking game with PK Pat McAfee and PT Scott Kozlowski providing good experience and consistency. McAfee has nailed 9 of his 12 field goal attempts with a long of 48 yards. One of his three misses was a block, and he has not missed from inside 40 yards. Kozlowski has adequate leg strength and good directional skills. He is averaging 40.9 yards per punt and has dropped four of his 15 attempts inside the opponents' 20-yard line.

The real difference between these two teams is in the return game, where West Virginia is far more lethal. Vaughn Rivers is averaging an impressive 12.8 yards per punt return, including a 50-yard touchdown. He also serves as the No. 2 kickoff return specialist behind Reynaud, who has emerged as one of the premier kickoff return men in the country with his average of 30.8 yards per attempt. Reynaud has one touchdown return of 96 yards this season.

Louisville's return units, on the other hand, have failed to provide its offense with a spark. Trent Guy has taken over for the struggling Patrick Carter as the team's top punt return specialist, but Guy is only averaging five yards on four returns. JaJuan Spillman is the team's top kickoff return man with a measly average of 18.7 yards per attempt. The Cardinals have also struggled in kick coverage, which has to be a major concern for Petrino and his staff heading into Thursday night's game.

Matchups
• West Virginia RB Steve Slaton vs. Louisville MLB Nate Harris
• Louisville RB Kolby Smith vs. West Virginia WLB Kevin McLee
• Louisville WR Mario Urrutia vs. West Virginia CB Vaughn Rivers

Scouts' Edge
West Virginia commits too many penalties and its defense gives up too many big plays via the air, which will be capitalized on by a good opponent like Louisville. If Brohm were on top of his game the Cardinals could outlast the Mountaineers in a shootout. Unfortunately for Petrino's team, he's not.

It took three overtimes for the Mountaineers to pull off a miraculous comeback last season after trailing the Cardinals by as many as 17 points in the fourth quarter. Thursday night's Big East showdown will be close, but not that close. Slaton will prove up to the task, and White will make a few key throws to keep Louisville off-balance. In the end, Rodriguez's squad will play its best game of the season and knock off the home team at a not-so-intimidating Papa John Stadium venue. Points may also be tougher to come by than most may expect.

Prediction: Mountaineers 30, Cardinals 21

zachequalsgod
11-01-2006, 11:56 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6118632

Fox Sports Break Down

LouPhinFan
11-02-2006, 12:09 AM
ESPN's take on tommorow nights game

West Virginia vs. Louisville Defense This is a classic match up of strength-versus-strength, as the nation's top-ranked rushing attack attempts to penetrate the eighth-ranked run defense. West Virginia QB Pat White and RB Steve Slaton make up college football's most lethal backfield tandem. Together, they account for 239.7 of the team's 319 rushing yards per game. White is a slippery runner with good open-field elusiveness and Slaton possesses good power for his size to go along with rare acceleration in space. They are both aided by a West Virginia offensive line that has become the benchmark for efficiency in college football today. The unit makes up for its overall lack of size with exceptional technique, quickness and effort. The interior trio of OC Dan Mozes and guards Jeremy Sheffey and Greg Isdaner are the strength of this unit, which is important considering how disruptive the massive interior tandem of Amobi Okoye and Willie Williams can be versus the run. MLB Nate Harris was demoted two games ago for his poor play. His replacement, Lamar Myles, is a budding star, but the 215-pound sophomore can be exposed for his lack of size and inexperience in this game. The rest of the Cardinals' linebackers are also undersized, which means they'll need to be protected in order to make plays from sideline-to-sideline versus the run.

Rich Rodriguez's offensive scheme is predicated on spreading opponents out and using great blocking angles and technique to generate creases in the running game. If his offensive line proves capable of overcoming a distinct size advantage inside versus Okoye (305 pounds) and Williams (300 pounds), Louisville's smallish trio of linebackers (Myles, WLB Preston Smith and SLB Malik Jackson) should be effectively neutralized.

The Mountaineers are rarely forced into obvious throwing situations, but White has proven capable of beating opponents through the air when necessary. White's accuracy is less than ideal, but he does throw well on the run and shows good touch on the deep ball. The biggest key for the Cardinals' defense is to load up with eight- and nine-man fronts versus the run without leaving themselves vulnerable to the deep ball. That means DC's Gavin Smart and William Gay will be under lots of pressure when left alone in man-to-man coverage versus speedy receivers Darius Reynaud and Brandon Myles. Reynaud leads the team with 25 receptions and is extremely dangerous after the catch. Myles also does a fine job as a route runner and is effective catching the ball in traffic. The most recent receiver to provide some big plays is Rayshawn Bolden, who is averaging 21.2 yards on just five receptions. The Cardinals cannot afford to play much nickel personnel with five defensive backs on the field, so expect the Mountaineers to target Bolden down the seams from the slot position when they see a safety locked on him. A few big receptions from the trio of Reynaud, Myles and Bolden could ultimately prove to be backbreaking for Louisville in this game.

Louisville Offense vs. West Virginia Defense QB Brian Brohm is the biggest X-factor in Thursday night's game. When he is in full form, few passers in the nation are as efficient and accurate as Brohm. However, the 6-foot-4, 224-pound junior has not found his rhythm since returning from a thumb injury that sidelined him for two games earlier this season. Louisville has averaged just 25.5 points in two past two games with Brohm throwing two interceptions compared to just one touchdown. In contrast, the team was averaging 44 points in the previous five games with the quarterbacks (Brohm and Hunter Cantwell) tossing eight touchdowns and just three interceptions. Some statistics can be deceiving, but those are difficult to ignore.

Meanwhile, Louisville has been forced to show more dedication to the running game. The good news is that RB Kolby Smith is coming off a career game with 165 yards and two touchdowns versus Syracuse. Smith is a punishing north-south runner at 215 pounds and shows straight-line some burst in the open field. The bad news, however, is that Smith pales in comparison to injured starter Michael Bush, who played a key role in last year's game versus West Virginia with four touchdowns. At 250 pounds with great speed, power, vision, hands and blocking skills, Bush provided a level of versatility that few backs can attain. While Smith should provide quality ground production between the tackles, he lacks the elusiveness and receiving skills to cause severe issues for WLB Kevin McLee and the Mountaineers' defensive front-seven.

West Virginia's biggest Achilles' heel on defense is the amount of big plays it surrenders through the air. Its defensive secondary is undisciplined and safeties Ridwan Malik and Quinton Andrews get caught peaking in the backfield too frequently on play action, which leads to gaping holes down the middle of the field in coverage. Louisville also has great perimeter matchups to target in the passing game with receivers Mario Urrutia and Harry Douglas versus cornerbacks Vaughn Rivers and Larry Williams. The matchup between Urrutia and Rivers is especially enticing because of Urrutia's 9-inch height advantage. If Brohm gets into an early rhythm and returns to early-season form, the Mountaineer secondary will be in for a long evening. However, after studying Brohm's hesitancy as a decision maker and uncharacteristically erratic arm, it seems more likely that Louisville will squander too many offensive opportunities to pull off the victory.

Special Teams
Louisville's Art Carmody is one of the most accurate place kickers in the nation. He has connected on 11-of-12 field goal attempts this season, including a long of 51 yards. PT Todd Flannery is averaging a respectable 39.7 yards per punt while landing four of his 17 attempts inside the opponents' 20-yard line. West Virginia is also solid in the kicking game with PK Pat McAfee and PT Scott Kozlowski providing good experience and consistency. McAfee has nailed 9 of his 12 field goal attempts with a long of 48 yards. One of his three misses was a block, and he has not missed from inside 40 yards. Kozlowski has adequate leg strength and good directional skills. He is averaging 40.9 yards per punt and has dropped four of his 15 attempts inside the opponents' 20-yard line.

The real difference between these two teams is in the return game, where West Virginia is far more lethal. Vaughn Rivers is averaging an impressive 12.8 yards per punt return, including a 50-yard touchdown. He also serves as the No. 2 kickoff return specialist behind Reynaud, who has emerged as one of the premier kickoff return men in the country with his average of 30.8 yards per attempt. Reynaud has one touchdown return of 96 yards this season.

Louisville's return units, on the other hand, have failed to provide its offense with a spark. Trent Guy has taken over for the struggling Patrick Carter as the team's top punt return specialist, but Guy is only averaging five yards on four returns. JaJuan Spillman is the team's top kickoff return man with a measly average of 18.7 yards per attempt. The Cardinals have also struggled in kick coverage, which has to be a major concern for Petrino and his staff heading into Thursday night's game.

Matchups
• West Virginia RB Steve Slaton vs. Louisville MLB Nate Harris
• Louisville RB Kolby Smith vs. West Virginia WLB Kevin McLee
• Louisville WR Mario Urrutia vs. West Virginia CB Vaughn Rivers

Scouts' Edge
West Virginia commits too many penalties and its defense gives up too many big plays via the air, which will be capitalized on by a good opponent like Louisville. If Brohm were on top of his game the Cardinals could outlast the Mountaineers in a shootout. Unfortunately for Petrino's team, he's not.

It took three overtimes for the Mountaineers to pull off a miraculous comeback last season after trailing the Cardinals by as many as 17 points in the fourth quarter. Thursday night's Big East showdown will be close, but not that close. Slaton will prove up to the task, and White will make a few key throws to keep Louisville off-balance. In the end, Rodriguez's squad will play its best game of the season and knock off the home team at a not-so-intimidating Papa John Stadium venue. Points may also be tougher to come by than most may expect.

Prediction: Mountaineers 30, Cardinals 21

There are way too many "ifs" in that story. It sounds like they're predicting the weather rather than a football game.:rolleyes:

LouPhinFan
11-02-2006, 12:16 AM

Yeah, but Brohm hasn't had 2 weeks off or anything like that to help his thumb get to 100%...:rolleyes:

Typical ESPN propaganda. If WVU wins they can say "we told you so". If Louisville wins they can say "wow look what Louisville overcame to win the ball game!" "We're such a great sports network for having such a great game on, wow we're awesome". God I hate ESPN sometimes.

HysterikiLL
11-02-2006, 12:57 AM
I was just about to say before reading that article^ that this game will really come down to Brohm. If he's on his top game, I think UofL will win it, but he hasn't been at his best since the injury, so who knows.

Bumpus
11-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Less than 9 hrs. to go ... I can't wait!!!

LET'S GO ...

Motion
11-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Not sure who to root for.......

LouPhinFan
11-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Not sure who to root for.......

That's easy! Root for the underdog! Root for the Cardinals!

Motion
11-02-2006, 12:58 PM
That's easy! Root for the underdog! Root for the Cardinals!

I'm hoping they both lose sooner or later :tongue:

I'm interested to see WVU tested for the first time all season.

Stitches
11-02-2006, 01:00 PM
I'm rooting for Louisville, whether they are underdogs or not. I'd love it to go to like quadruple OT though, lol. Let's see some 64-62 final score, lol.

adamprez2003
11-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Brohm says his thumb is feeling alot better. He's finally gripping the ball better and getting alot more velocity on his throws. Hopefully we see the QB who should be drafted first this year and not a Brohm at 85%

LouPhinFan
11-02-2006, 04:45 PM
I'm at work right now, and I'm so excited I can't sit still. Is it 7:30 yet?

The girl in the cubical next to me has tickets for the game and left work early.:fire: I hope she dresses warm because its going to be cold! Probably in the 30's! I'm be at my buddy's house in the warmth, watching it in HD!

Motion
11-02-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm at work right now, and I'm so excited I can't sit still. Is it 7:30 yet?

The girl in the cubical next to me has tickets for the game and left work early.:fire: I hope she dresses warm because its going to be cold! Probably in the 30's! I'm be at my buddy's house in the warmth, watching it in HD!

Could affect the passing game.

Stitches
11-02-2006, 04:58 PM
Could affect the passing game.

Don't say that. I want high scores, and a thriller finish. An "Instant Classic" if you will.

Motion
11-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Don't say that. I want high scores, and a thriller finish. An "Instant Classic" if you will.

:woot: I hope so!

FLOUNDER
11-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Lets Go................mountaineers!!!!!!!!!!

Roman529
11-02-2006, 10:59 PM
30-14 yeahhhhh baby!!!

Motion
11-03-2006, 08:50 AM
All that WVU BCS bickering for nothing the last couple weeks :lol:

MikeO
11-03-2006, 11:14 AM
All that WVU BCS bickering for nothing the last couple weeks :lol:

Not really. It was more of a "conference" bickering. Just take out WV and insert Lville now.