PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 2.0 Posted a Day Early

Muck
10-23-2006, 08:16 PM
I actually downloaded two seperate versions of it. Both from Mozilla's site (though it's not published as being avaiable). The first one was REALLY fast, but there were things that didn't work properly. Turned out to be the Great Britain version. HA ha. In your face, Britain.

The second one....which is the US release, works perfectly thus far. And it's still faster than the 1.5.0.7 I was running before. I'm running 2.0 completely stock. No tweaking, etc.

I'm gonna play with it a bit. See what's what. I expect my favorite themes/extensions to all be updated in the coming days.

Oh, and I love the built-in spell checker. I'm sitting here typing....and I see a uninstrusive red dotted line appear. I right-click on the misspelled word....:hump:

At any rate, have at it boys and girls. :)

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/win32/en-US/Firefox%20Setup%202.0.exe

EDIT: Official Release Download HERE (http://www.getfirefox.com)

dolphinfan2k5
10-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I'll try it in a second.

Edit: Running it now, seems pretty fast. I remember last time I dled Firefox someone posted some tweakings they did with something that I followed and it made it faster. Is there anything like that for this version?

Things look a bit different, I'm not really seeing much that's new besides the look, but I haven't really looked much yet. I'm not seeing this spell checker that you are talking about though.

Edit 2: I noticed that you can undo a 'close tab' by right clicking in the tab toolbar area, and then clicking undo close tab. Nice little feature, not sure if its new though. The spell checker worked on the link they provided in the release notes, but its not wokring in here.

Blade
10-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Right on, thanks for the heads up!

unifiedtheory
10-23-2006, 08:39 PM
Hey Muck, did it install overtop of your current version?

If it did, did you keep all your bookmarks? I've got like 2,000....I'm a bookmarkaholic and if I lost them I'd be screwed...LOL.

Bruzer
10-23-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey Muck, did it install overtop of your current version?

If it did, did you keep all your bookmarks? I've got like 2,000....I'm a bookmarkaholic and if I lost them I'd be screwed...LOL.

Export them go to manage bookmarkes then i think file -> export

Muck
10-23-2006, 08:43 PM
The first version (GB) didn't. :lol: But the second version did just fine.

Even if it did, Firefox generally backs up your bookmarks every day. At least mine did. Here's where you find them.

In XP......C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\profile name\bookmarkbackups

Make sure hidden folders are turned off in Windows Explorer.

Also, I recall setting this up manually one time. But I don't remember if it's default anymore.

You could always just backup your bookmarks right now by simply exporting them into a file. :)

unifiedtheory
10-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks guys!

I'm all over this...

The Rev
10-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Excellent, brother. Now if I can only convince you to get a Mac. :wink:

byroan
10-23-2006, 08:55 PM
Firefox backing up my bookmarks really saved me one time. It'd suck if I lost them.

I just updated to 2.0, seems pretty good so far.

One thing I don't like about 2.0 is that the close tab button is no longer on the far right side of the tabs. It's now on the actual tab itself.

byroan
10-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Going into about:config and changing the value of browser.tabs.closeButtons to 3 moves the close button to the far right. :)

PHINATIC13
10-23-2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks Muck.I so need that spell check...

unifiedtheory
10-23-2006, 11:28 PM

I'm taking the plunge next year. :D

Quelonio
10-23-2006, 11:43 PM

You don't have to convince me to get one, but you could tell me where I get firefox for OS X...

Nappy Roots
10-23-2006, 11:51 PM
Oh, and I love the built-in spell checker. I'm sitting here typing....and I see a uninstrusive red dotted line appear. I right-click on the misspelled word....:hump:

woah, sweet, i need that.

thanks.

Nappy Roots
10-24-2006, 12:10 AM
Things look a bit different, I'm not really seeing much that's new besides the look, but I haven't really looked much yet. I'm not seeing this spell checker that you are talking about though.

yea i dont see the spell checker either

DeathStar
10-24-2006, 12:23 AM
yea i dont see the spell checker either

in composing emails with gmail, it works.

byroan
10-24-2006, 12:26 AM
If you don't see it working then right click and choose "Spell Check This Field".

Nappy Roots
10-24-2006, 12:38 AM
If you don't see it working then right click and choose "Spell Check This Field".

it kinda sucks that you have to do it every time though.

Muck
10-24-2006, 07:36 AM
Going into about:config and changing the value of browser.tabs.closeButtons to 3 moves the close button to the far right. :)

You know, that got me at first too. But the new default way actually seems more logical to me. I just had to get used to it. :)

Muck
10-24-2006, 07:38 AM
it kinda sucks that you have to do it every time though.

I don't think it's designed to be a spell checker like say in Word. It only works in forms (like when you're posting here). So it's more of a 'fix-as-you-go' kinda thing.

DeathStar
10-24-2006, 10:46 AM
the feature i dont like is how i have 15 tabs up, i hate having to scroll to get the last 5 tabs.

anyway to shut that feature off???

edit: i luckily googled the right phrase and got this:

http://www.quickonlinetips.com/archives/2006/10/disable-tab-scrolling-in-firefox-2/

Jt0323
10-24-2006, 04:36 PM
just installed it!

byroan
10-24-2006, 07:00 PM
You know, that got me at first too. But the new default way actually seems more logical to me. I just had to get used to it. :)

:lol: I'm so set in my ways when it comes to FF that I couldn't get used to it.

Celtkin
10-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Thanks Muck

Here's the Mac link (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/download.html?product=firefox-2.0&os=osx&lang=en-US) :)

Jt0323
10-24-2006, 08:19 PM
idk if it was in before but lets say you on a few sites and all of a suddon you get a error report and get closed out of it...if you click firefox they restore it for you!

Jt0323
10-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Muck is there anyway to take off them remembering my password?

byroan
10-24-2006, 08:55 PM
You want it to stop asking you?

Go into the options menu and under the security tab you'll see a checked box for Remember Passwords for Sites.

tucker
10-24-2006, 09:40 PM
i'll wait a while until more people give feedback on it, b/c the last one i d/led would crash all the time

lazareth
10-24-2006, 10:29 PM
there are still a few extensions that i like that aren't compatible yet...a lot of the extensions i had are now 2.0 features...right now i have the last 1.5 on my laptop still, gets kinda wierd getting used to the differences when i switch to may desktop that has 2.0

Maynard the Hammer
10-24-2006, 11:31 PM
im really not seeing too much of a difference. i already had the tabs set up this way before. its a little faster

Jt0323
10-25-2006, 02:36 PM
You want it to stop asking you?

Go into the options menu and under the security tab you'll see a checked box for Remember Passwords for Sites.
thanks byroan!