PDA

View Full Version : Mourning The Demise of Miracle Whip

BAMAPHIN 22
10-24-2006, 02:25 PM
When I was a kid growing up in the Detroit suburbs, there were two things you’d be most likely to put on a sandwich, or use to dress coleslaw or potato salad – mayonnaise (we pronounced it “manayse”) or Miracle Whip (http://www.kraftfoods.com/miraclewhip/).

Most families were firm on which product they used. So much so, that I never used mayonnaise for anything until I got married and started experimenting with food. By the time my son was in his teens, and our house became the place to turn up when they were hungry for him and his friends, I kept both on hand. Even today there are strong preferences, and I use Miracle Whip for some things, and mayonnaise for others.

Lately, though, you may have noticed if you’re a Miracle Whip person, that your sandwiches don’t quite taste the same, and your coleslaw doesn’t hold up overnight.

That’s because the old standby you used and loved for decades is no longer the same product. They’ve changed the recipe! If you look on the label, you see the first ingredient is now water, not soybean oil as in the past. Since products (at least in the US) are labeled with ingredients in order of the amount, that means there is now more water than anything else.

This is problematic, because like a lot of other people, I like to make the potato salad or coleslaw the day before, to let the flavors mingle. Only now I can’t, because it turns into a watery mess and tastes like I forgot the dressing!

I first noticed this change over a year ago, and have been scrambling to find a replacement ever since. I’ve tried lots of store brands, and found they vary widely by store. Some have an unpleasant aftertaste because of the kind of oil they use. I’ve also tried half a dozen different recipes, because my usual response when a product becomes unavailable or changes is to make my own. Yet none of the substitutes quite come up to snuff. The closest I’ve come is to add sugar and vinegar to Kraft mayonnaise, but haven’t quite achieved the magic formula.

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2006/10/24/mourning-the-demise-of-miracle-whip/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elementarychef.com%2F2006%2F10%2F22%2Fmourning-the-demise-of-miracle-whip%2F&frame=true

In_Flames
10-24-2006, 02:27 PM
is it odd that this thread for some unknown reason makes me think of our very own Spray Mucus :confused:

Roman529
10-24-2006, 04:06 PM
I love mayonnaise on french fries. :tongue: goo stuff.

In_Flames
10-24-2006, 04:09 PM
mayonnaise on anything... :barf:

Majpain
10-24-2006, 04:12 PM

Odd combo. I prefer chip sandwhiches. Hmm LAys potato chips and plain bread. Now thats goo stuff :goof:

In_Flames
10-24-2006, 04:15 PM
I'll take honey mustard and or A1 any day of the week. By far my favorite condiments.

Roman529
10-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Back in high school I used to walk out with the big plastic bottles of Arby's sauce and the Horsie Sauce....I made my own poor man's Arby's sandwiches like this. :lol:

In_Flames
10-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Back in high school I used to walk out with the big plastic bottles of Arby's sauce and the Horsie Sauce....I made my own poor man's Arby's sandwiches like this. :lol:

gotta love the Arby's :yes:

NJFINSFAN1
10-24-2006, 04:17 PM
:sidelol: I just got done putting mayonnaise all over my pork chops and then breaded them, and I see this thread!

Roman529
10-24-2006, 04:18 PM
gotta love the Arby's :yes:

You just don't want to have horseradish going down the wrong wind pipe like I did one time...I was coughing for about 20 minutes afterwards....man that burned. I can live on Arbys and Jamocha shakes and nothing else.

In_Flames
10-24-2006, 04:21 PM
You just don't want to have horseradish going down the wrong wind pipe like I did one time...I was coughing for about 20 minutes afterwards....man that burned. I can live on Arbys and Jamocha shakes and nothing else.

same here, but it would definitely put you in the poor house after awhile. The food is too damn expensive, however goo it may be.

greatwade
10-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Alonzo?

Stitches
10-24-2006, 04:32 PM
same here, but it would definitely put you in the poor house after awhile. The food is too damn expensive, however goo it may be.

Living off it is a bad idea. I used to work there and it isn't that expensive when you get half off(or free). But it certainly isn't good for you to eat a lot of it.

Man, I want a market fresh sandwhich now.

In_Flames
10-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Man, I want a market fresh sandwhich now.

no way man, its all about a #7 combo...Grilled chicken-bacon-swiss with waffle fries, a sweet tea and side of mac and cheese!!!!! :drool:

Stitches
10-24-2006, 04:41 PM
no way man, its all about a #7 combo...Grilled chicken-bacon-swiss with waffle fries, a sweet tea and side of mac and cheese!!!!! :drool:

I don't like any mac & cheese, but if that's what you want, by all means get it.

Quelonio
10-24-2006, 06:15 PM
I have a friend that eats pop corn with mayo... I thought it was the weirdest thing ever, but it is actually quite good... Surprisingly good.

finfan01
10-24-2006, 06:18 PM

Lucky............the Arbys down here in SoFL has no special things....except for Jalapeno Poppers :yes:

NaboCane
10-24-2006, 06:32 PM
Mayonnaise makes anything better.

Miracle whip is to mayonnaise as Abbie Hoffman is to the 60's - made-over, soulless and sold out.

NaboCane
10-24-2006, 06:34 PM
I have a friend that eats pop corn with mayo... I thought it was the weirdest thing ever, but it is actually quite good... Surprisingly good.

That's pretty ****ing weird right there.

But, see? Mayonnaise makes everything better.

BritP
10-24-2006, 06:38 PM
I absolutely LOVE Miracle Whip. I eat Miracle Whip sandwiches that's how much I love the stuff. I loath mayonnaise....ewwww. Miracle is tasty, mayonnaise has no flavor.

finfan01
10-24-2006, 11:39 PM
I absolutely LOVE Miracle Whip. I eat Miracle Whip sandwiches that's how much I love the stuff. I loath mayonnaise....ewwww. Miracle is tasty, mayonnaise has no flavor.
Miracle Whip = :hump:

Mayo = NASTY!!!!

Maynard the Hammer
10-24-2006, 11:54 PM
real mayo is great. miracle whip has an awful tang

Maynard the Hammer
10-24-2006, 11:54 PM
I love mayonnaise on french fries. :tongue: goo stuff.fries and bleu cheese...oh mama

Phinj
10-25-2006, 01:57 AM
Try adding actuall pickle juice to the mayo.:wink:

PhinzN703
10-25-2006, 12:12 PM
I don't like any mac & cheese, but if that's what you want, by all means get it.

You dont like Mac N Cheese? :eek:

Jaydog57
10-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Miracle Whip is a salad dressing (so says the label) and makes me gag. It doesn't have any place on my roast beef sandwich.:boohoo: Mayonnaise is the good stuff on fries and sandwiches:dolphins:

RWhitney014
10-25-2006, 11:17 PM
Bama, to solve your watery cole slaw problem, it's not the recipe change, it's the salt you're putting on your cabbage. Salt draws out moisture. Let the flavors mingle overnight and then about an hour or two before serving, salt it, let it sit in the fridge, and there you go, seasoned but not watery cole slaw.

MNFINFAN
10-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Odd combo. I prefer chip sandwhiches. Hmm LAys potato chips and plain bread. Now thats goo stuff :goof:
IN England we have chip butties, what we call chips (french fries) and bread. smushed them together adn dip in ketchup, now that is goo stuff ;)

PrepDogg
10-25-2006, 11:43 PM
I never got the big deal with Miracle Whip. Mayo kicks it's *** every day of the week and twice on Sundays my friends.

Hellion
10-25-2006, 11:59 PM

I used to do the same thing as a kid, Miracle whip sandwiches or open with a little suger on them MMMMMMMM.

Mayo is Mayonasty...can't think of one thing I'd use it for.

BritP
10-26-2006, 09:22 AM
I used to do the same thing as a kid, Miracle whip sandwiches or open with a little suger on them MMMMMMMM.

Mayo is Mayonasty...can't think of one thing I'd use it for.

MmMmMmM Now that's what Imma talkin bout - YUM! :D XOXO