PDA

View Full Version : Forget Calvin Johnson........This is the best player in the draft

victacious
10-24-2006, 04:45 PM
TED GINN JR.

THIS IS THE PLAYMAKER OF THE DRAFT AND WE NEED HIM!!!

Go and get him Nick, and get some big boys on O-line and D-line. and finally Secondary and we will be able to compete for the playoffs.:tongue:

Breed
10-24-2006, 04:49 PM
:shakeno:

There isn't a team in the NFL that would take Ted Ginn Jr. over Calvin Johnson.

Uncle Rico II
10-24-2006, 04:53 PM
:shakeno:

There isn't a team in the NFL that would take Ted Ginn Jr. over Calvin Johnson.

I'm not a huge college fan, but I was under the impression that Ted Ginn would be a star receiver coming out. Who would you compare CJ to...Moss? Chad Johnson? TO?

Majpain
10-24-2006, 04:59 PM
CJ is a better WR than Ted Ginn. All around talent that is.

newlownorder
10-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Calvin Johnson is a mix between a Randy Moss in that he goes up and grabs the ball out of the air but is big like a possession reciever like Moose for dah Bears. I've only seen alittle of bit of him but he's a ultimate superstar from what I saw.

victacious
10-24-2006, 05:03 PM
Calvin Johnson has 4.4 speed and the hieght advantage....I have really looked at him and he reminds me so much of Keyshawn Johnson....are they related!!!! Don't get me wrong...johnson is special....but with other holes on the team....we need a special play maker one that puts real fear in defenses. You can't coach vision and speed and ted ginn, is ahead of calvin johnson in that area. not by much!!! Check out the highlight on youtube.com or what ever it is...on both then come back and tell me who you want.....Fair!!! O by the way calvin johnson went without a catch against clemson this past week....so he can be shut down ......

Stitches
10-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Well technically you can't say either is the better player in the draft, since they are both juniors, and neither has declared.

But Calvin Johnson is the top WR potentially coming out, and it isn't even close between him and #2.

As to the comment about him not having a catch against Clemson, he can't exactly throw the ball to himself. GT's quarterback Ball, won't even get drafted, not to mention GT is more of a running team.

victacious
10-24-2006, 05:13 PM
By no stretch of my imagination (sp) am I saying that ted ginn is way better, but the question still remains.....all the attributes the johnson has and there are many...he can be shut down....all he does and he does it very well....is run the fly and go routes , across the middle I have seen.....we already have people who can do that....plus he dropped 2 balls his way in the clemson game....he was double covered the whole game to his credit.....but mannnnn take a look at ted ginn when they play, this dude is really fast 20 times better than holmes who went first round last year....... he reminds me of Steve smith who is the best in the game now.

saves
10-24-2006, 05:18 PM
I'm not a huge college fan, but I was under the impression that Ted Ginn would be a star receiver coming out. Who would you compare CJ to...Moss? Chad Johnson? TO?

Ted Ginn is an athlete with blazing speed. Probably 6'1 185 at this point. Lots of potential, but definitely not a finished product. Does best on screens and fades....he really rounds of his routes and needs to learn the nuances of the position, having only played it for 3 years. I'd say hes a 10-20 pick.

Johnson is a guy who stands around 6'4-6'5 at 235 with 4.4 speed and a vertical to match. He really looks like a dominate player, and is as closed to a finished product at the position at Fitzgerald was a few years back. Top 5 pick based on production and unbelievable physical dimensions at the position.

Stitches
10-24-2006, 05:22 PM
By no stretch of my imagination (sp) am I saying that ted ginn is way better, but the question still remains.....all the attributes the johnson has and there are many...he can be shut down....all he does and he does it very well....is run the fly and go routes , across the middle I have seen.....we already have people who can do that....plus he dropped 2 balls his way in the clemson game....he was double covered the whole game to his credit.....but mannnnn take a look at ted ginn when they play, this dude is really fast 20 times better than holmes who went first round last year....... he reminds me of Steve smith who is the best in the game now.

he can be shut down: So can Ginn, as well as any other reciever in college. Especially when you ahve an awful QB, and no other offensive weapons.

All he does....: I've seen Johnson run every route possible. I didn't exaclty see him only making plays on flys and go routes against ND when they were trying to cover him. Ginn isn't even the best reciever on his team. And Ginn always runs flys and go routes.

Dropped passes: Every single player drops passes from time to time. It is part ofthe game. Even Jerry Rice dropepd passes in college.

20x better than Holmes: That right there is certainly a stretch. Potentially a better reciever than Holmes, yes. But right now Holmes is still a better reciever. Is Ginn a better returner? Oh, hell yes. A better player? Maybe. Better Reciever? Probably not.

dominizzo
10-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Miami Will get CJ

jim1
10-24-2006, 05:36 PM
TED GINN JR.

Go and get him Nick, and get some big boys on O-line and D-line. and finally Secondary and we will be able to compete for the playoffs.:tongue:

Rank Name School Year HT WT 1 Calvin Johnson (http://www.draftshowcase.com/CalvinJohnson.htm)Georgia Tech Jr 6'4 225 2 Sidney Rice South Carolina 3So6'3200 3 Dwayne Jarrett USC Jr 6'5 210 4 Jeff Samardzija Notre Dame Sr 6'4 218 5 Ted Ginn Jr Ohio State Jr 6'0 175 Ginn does have a ways to go as a receiver yet. He avoids contact, has inconsistent hands and needs to add size/strength. But he sure can run and that makes him a prospect that is tough to pass on. He is excellent in the open field and gamebreakers like this don't present themselves regularly. 6 Jason Hill Washington State Sr 6'1 210 7 Steve Smith USC Sr 6'1 195 8 Dwayne Bowe LSU Sr 6'3 213

http://www.draftshowcase.com/07widereceivers.htm

alen1
10-24-2006, 05:43 PM
i think ginn could make a bigg impact for us b/c we could use im at reciever and punt returner unlike CJ but i still rather have CJ b/c if u watch him play its just pure dominance . the only reason he didnt have a catch vs the clemson tigers is because he got triple teamed and that is how much respect he has. also if he comes to the dolphins , he will command that respect too after a couple of weeks in to the season. CJ is also way more polished then Ginn Jr.i think if dolphins pass on CJ , it will be the biggest mistake in franchise history.

Breed
10-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Calvin Johnson has 4.4 speed and the hieght advantage....I have really looked at him and he reminds me so much of Keyshawn Johnson....are they related!!!! ]

Calvin Johnson has better on the field speed, he's much better at stretching the field. He'd dominate even more with just a decent college QB.

Don't get me wrong...johnson is special....but with other holes on the team....we need a special play maker one that puts real fear in defenses.

CJ doesn't put fear in defenses? CJ is far more consistant than TGJ, is a better route runner, has much better hands and is probably just as fast within 20 yards. It takes 30-40 yards for TGJ to hit topspeed.

You can't coach vision and speed and ted ginn, is ahead of calvin johnson in that area. not by much!!! Check out the highlight on youtube.com or what ever it is...on both then come back and tell me who you want.....Fair!!! O by the way calvin johnson went without a catch against clemson this past week....so he can be shut down ......

Even if CJ doesn't get yards, he draws penalties. He's constantly double teamed and is sometimes triple teamed. Not to mention CJ has the misfortune of having one of the worst quarterbacks in college; atleast TGJ has Troy Smith. More than half of Reggie Ball's passing yards have gone to CJ; that should tell you something. Imagine if CJ had a decent QB.

NashPhin
10-24-2006, 05:50 PM
O-line. O-line. O-line.

dolfan0889
10-24-2006, 06:08 PM
Cj All The Way Ted Ginn Is Not That Impressive Plus We Already Have A SpeEdy Receiver We Need A Big Guy That You Know Will Catch It When You Throw It N Da Air. Plus Cj Would Jump All Over The Afc East Db's

GT Dolfan
10-24-2006, 06:10 PM
all the attributes the johnson has and there are many...he can be shut down....all he does and he does it very well....is run the fly and go routes , across the middle I have seen.....we already have people who can do that....plus he dropped 2 balls his way in the clemson game....he was double covered the whole game to his credit.....\

Calvin Johnson runs all routes....The 2 balls he dropped weren't thrown well at all, (however, he usually would've grabbed those any other Saturday, he's a living highlight reel).

He opens up every other aspect of the game, since defenses DO fear him. all other receivers are left with man coverage, and if not, our running game opens up. In the Virginia Tech game, the first play was a 50 yard pass to James Johnson, since nobody was covering him, due to Calvin.

Not only is Calvin a physical specimen, with his height, size and sub 4.4 40, but he has the best hands in the league (besides the Clemson game). He will grab anything thrown his way.

footballer
10-24-2006, 06:37 PM
O-line. O-line. O-line.

yep. yep. yep.

No1Phinatic
10-24-2006, 06:54 PM
O-line. O-line. O-line.
amen amen amen

retarmyfinfan
10-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Miami Will get CJ

If he is the best available when we pick we should.

ChambersWI
10-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Ted Ginn is not even the best WR on his team (Anthony Gonzalas is by far).

Ginn hass been successful because all he has to do is run fly patterns, and go right by people.

Ginn will be a high draft pick based on speed a lone, but he needs atleast 2 years before he can make a difference outside of the return game.

Roman529
10-24-2006, 07:36 PM
CJ is so much better than Ginn....it is like comparing Dan Marino to Joey Harrington...no contest.

Brown42000
10-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Miami better not draft a receiver and Calvin Johnson is 6'5 240 pounds and runs a 4.4 which is unbelievable he is T.O. and Moss combined.

Roman529
10-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Miami better not draft a receiver and Calvin Johnson is 6'5 240 pounds and runs a 4.4 which is unbelievable he is T.O. and Moss combined.

HUH? :confused:

DonShula84
10-24-2006, 07:56 PM

He is a combination of Moss and TO and we had better not draft him? Please explain.

robfila
10-24-2006, 08:03 PM
I'd be Happy with Johnson or Quinn

Dolfan11
TED GINN JR.

There's very few Calvin Johnsons, and you don't pass him up for Ginn.

nighttrain76
What about the kid from Clemson?? I think it's Gaines Adams. He looks like he can line up with his hands down or standing up. Defense is getting old and I don't think there will be any linemen worthy or a top 5 pick...hopefully we will be picking later then that. Saban is a defense type of guy.

Kdawg954
As much as we need OLine . . . this is like Houston passing on Reggie Bush . . . they needed a pass rusher? ARE U SERIOUS . . . come on people . . . lets say we have a top 3 pick . . . OLine will be there round 2 and 3, but CJ is a STUD . . plain and simple, with him, Chambers and Hagan (honestly I would move CC in the slot if he is fully recovered from the Denver hit he took a few years back and have CJ and Hagan on the outside and run 3 WR sets as 80 percent of my offense.

We need OLine, but if CJ is there . . . and he is BPA . . . u take him and don't think twice about it . . . his QB is Reggie BAll people and he is the only playmaker on that offense (outside of Ball of course). . . imagine if he had a Brady Quinn throwing to him with a Walker at RB and a Smardjza (sp) opposite . . . man would be more of a beast than he is now.

ojmcduffy
10-24-2006, 08:18 PM
we could use some depth at running back and theres a really good chance micheal bush from louisville will be hanging around. after a broken leg ended his season against kentucky we might be able to steal him in later rounds

MrEd
10-24-2006, 08:31 PM
yep. yep. yep.

nope. nope. nope.:shakeno:

MrEd
10-24-2006, 08:32 PM
amen amen amen

fuey. fuey. fuey.

adamprez2003
10-24-2006, 08:36 PM
What about the kid from Clemson?? I think it's Gaines Adams. He looks like he can line up with his hands down or standing up. Defense is getting old and I don't think there will be any linemen worthy or a top 5 pick...hopefully we will be picking later then that. Saban is a defense type of guy.

the guy is great. would be a great pickup

DrewOldSchool
10-24-2006, 09:22 PM
TED GINN JR.

Woops this is another....draft another WR or skill position player when we need an O-Line thread. Time to realize that we are doing what Detroit did and that's why we have a Detroit caliber record. Skill players don't make holes and pass protect. The big glamorless O-Linemen do and you need to draft them as high as D'Brickashaw if you want the best. Or you can completely break your bank on a FA. But hey, you did get that WR you always wanted. Too bad your QB doesn't have time to get rid of the ball.

thespecimen
10-24-2006, 09:38 PM
Oh my....
I cannot believe its so bad we are thinking about the draft. :eek:

gish
10-24-2006, 09:39 PM
While I envy the team that gets either of these guys, I dont think Miami's #1 need is a WR at this point.

We are not the Lions.

Inside Lions War Room:
"What do you guys think?"
"Well, we could definately use some help on defense."
"Good point, we have used the last decade of first rounders on offense."
"Alright, we're on the clock."
"Looks like all the defensive guys are gone."
"What? It's only the 10th pick."
"Yep, shocked me too. Looks like our only option is to take a WR."
"Alright, if you think so"
Paul Tagliabue:
"The Detroit Lions select Mike Williams WR from USC."
Fans reaction:
"Hey, I thoght this was live. This looks like a re-run."
"It is live."
"What!?! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Static387
10-24-2006, 09:42 PM
The word around Columbus is Ginn Sr. will make Ginn Jr. stay for his senior season.

Majpain
10-25-2006, 10:17 AM
The word around Columbus is Ginn Sr. will make Ginn Jr. stay for his senior season.

Because he would get more money in 08. OSU would have a damn good WR crops next year. WithGinn and Gonzo returning. If we dont draft CJ there is something wrong with us.

Motion
10-25-2006, 11:55 AM
There is no "Forgetting Calvin Johnson". He is head and shoulders above any other WR in this draft by far. He's one of those guys that if you pass him up in the draft, that decision comes back to haunt you for years.

Majpain
10-25-2006, 01:48 PM
^ exactly.

Agent51
10-25-2006, 02:06 PM
TED GINN JR.

One, no way do you take Ginn Jr over Calvin. Yeah, Ted is a great player, but Calvin is a phenom.

Two, Wrs, ANY WRs, historically, are not a good choice that high. How many WRs that have been chosen early in the first round have done anything lately? Or ever for that matter? Now how many have been chosen early and flopped? WRs that had the same things said about them coming out that Calvin Johnson does.

Three, what is the point of another WR if we don't have a QB to throw to him? Culpepper is steadily headed down hill, and Harrington completes passes, just to the wrong team. We can have T.O., Chad Johnson, Jerry Rice (in his prime), Marvin Harrison, and Antonio Gates out there and it won't matter if the QB can't get them the ball.

Honestly, Moss isn't that great a player. He has the great stats because he basically cherry-picks the entire game. Of COURSE you are going to have huge stats if you just run streaks the whole game and catch jump balls in the endzone. He's not in there working for the catches, going over the middle and getting the tough yards. He's in there running way down field and catching bombs the entire time. That doesn't make him one of the best in the league IMO.

As far as who he compares to, I'm not sure man. He is just an amazing athlete that does it all. He goes over the middle to get the tough yards, he catches bombs to get the long yards, he makes the spinning one-handed catches to get the highlight reels, he throws passes, he runs the ball, and best of all, he is HUMBLE. No inflated ego like a T.O. or Chad Johnson or Randy Moss or Steve Smith. All reports on him are that he is a down to earth team player who never complains about his touches and does what's best for the team, whether that is catching TD passes or blocking for his RBs.

He is definately a guy I would like on our team, but like I said, we need a QB that can get him the ball first, and until then he won't make much of a difference.

nick1
10-25-2006, 02:13 PM
I'd rather have Sidney Rice than Ted Ginn Jr. Calvin Johnson will be the best WR in the NFL in a few years. and watch Oakland draft him, I fell sad for him

Majpain
10-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Moss isnt that great of a player? Are you kidding me :shakeno:. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS75XT9Jy_U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_DDnP_uNYI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Yi5GpeGzY

Now saying moss wasnt good just because he is a "cherry picker" is like saying Tom Brady sucks because he throws 5 yard passes.

nick1
10-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Calvin Johnson is a beast, we gotta make Chambers take a pay cut though

Stitches
10-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Agent 51, here are some WR's drafted in top 10 recently:

#3: Braylon Edwards- looks to be really good. Still doesn't make all the routine catches, but he makes progress every game.
#7: Troy Williamson- Drafted high due to speed and potential. Still could be very good, but had no WR to show him the ropes in Minn. and so far he has been your average rookie/sophomore reciever.
#10: Mike Williams- Sort of a fluke pick. Drafted this high due to sophomore season and potential. sat out a full year from any tupe of football. That alone puts you behind the pack. Could be good still, but it will require time and hard work.

#3: Larry Fitzgerald- Stud. Plain and simple he is the real deal.
#7: Roy Williams- Slow start last season because of injuries, but he is proving he was worth his draft slot this season.
#9: Reggie Williams- Not a bad reciever by any means, but he is part of a young and tallented recieving core in Jax. Can't solidify himself as a #1 yet, but he is very valuable to his team.

#2: Charles Rogers- started ot with a promising rookie campaign, but broke collar bone. Suffered exact same injury following year. 2 years away from the field, hurt his development, and hurt his work ethic even more. A bust by all accounts, but if those injuries don't happen, the story may be different, because he looked good before the 1st break.
#3: Andre Johnson- Slow start rookie year, but considering team that was to be expected. He flourished in his second season, as well as killing defenses this year. Well worth the pick.

No WRs selected top 10

#8: David Terrell: Questionable product to begin with, as his physical abilites should have made him top 5. Poor coaching, QB play, and work ethic led to demise.
#9: Koren Robinson: blazing speed, but never reached potential in Seattle as off the field problems hindered his play greatly. Last year he showed how valueable he could be to a team, as he made the pro bowl as a returner. A bust by most standards, but not neccessarily entirely due to lack of production.

#4: Peter Warrick- Human highlight reel in college. Suspect hands and much better tackling in pros exposed flaws in his game that weren't as easily appearent in college. A bust by most accounts.
#8: Plaxico Burress- Tall, big, fast reciever showing the past few years why he was a top 10 pick.
#10: Travis Taylor- Again, a fringe top 10 selection drafted on potential and amazing speed. Didin't live up to billing in Baltimore, but still playing a large role in Minn.

#6: Torry Holt- Easily a top 5 WR in te league. Easily.
#8: David Boston: Phenomenal first few years in the league. Sent to Chargers after injury and did all right. Came to Miami and couldn't stay on the field. He warranted a high selection, but his infatuation wit his own body led to injuries and a career viewed as a "what could have been."

So that's 15 WRs selected in the top 10 since 1999, and only about a max of 6 can even be considered outright busts. The recievers who seem to play/look the most similar to Calvin Johnson: Edwards, Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, and Plaxico Burress all look to be studs. And of those 4, only Fitzgerald is even close to being the same type of prospect when looking at how polished and dominant the recievers were when they came out. I would take that any day of the week.