PDA

View Full Version : Final college speech, Part 3

UCFinfan86
10-25-2006, 06:19 PM
Ok thanks to all of those who helped me with part 1 and 2, now is the final one worth 25% of my grade and i am absolutely stumped. Here is the assignment.

A Persuasive speech(5-7min). It has to be like a current event. He gave a list of the ones we can't do because they were over done. AIDS, safe sex, drunk driving, smoking, diet(anything with food), exercise, legalization of marijuana, seat belts, donating organs, brushing your teeth, sun screen, cell phones while driving, Hygeine.

Some other ones he used for examples in class is Death penalty and education, but i am clueless on a topic. Any suggestions??

Oh ya and a big thing is we have to have 4 citations and you can't use google, yahoo, wikipedia, etc. We have to use newspapers liek New York Times and Washington Post.

Slappy8800
10-25-2006, 06:21 PM
can go with intelligent design and evolution

personally I did "we didnt land on the moon"

Slappy8800
10-25-2006, 06:22 PM
or a topic i like, who deserves to have nuclear capabilites and why/pre-emptive nuclear strikes.

ih8brady
10-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Ok thanks to all of those who helped me with part 1 and 2, now is the final one worth 25% of my grade and i am absolutely stumped. Here is the assignment.

A Persuasive speech(5-7min). It has to be like a current event. He gave a list of the ones we can't do because they were over done. AIDS, safe sex, drunk driving, smoking, diet(anything with food), exercise, legalization of marijuana, seat belts, donating organs, brushing your teeth, sun screen, cell phones while driving, Hygeine.

Some other ones he used for examples in class is Death penalty and education, but i am clueless on a topic. Any suggestions??

Oh ya and a big thing is we have to have 4 citations and you can't use google, yahoo, wikipedia, etc. We have to use newspapers liek New York Times and Washington Post.

I'd recommend the legalization of drugs(the actual act of taking drugs harms no one but possibly yourself...the prohibition supports and profits organized crime) but each and every issue you listed has books and writing on either sides of the topic. Good luck!

UCFinfan86
10-25-2006, 06:32 PM
can go with intelligent design and evolution

personally I did "we didnt land on the moon"

I doubt i would be able to find 4 citations saying we didn't land on the moon.

Um also what is intelligent design?

UCFinfan86
10-25-2006, 06:33 PM
I'd recommend the legalization of drugs(the actual act of taking drugs harms no one but possibly yourself...the prohibition supports and profits organized crime) but each and every issue you listed has books and writing on either sides of the topic. Good luck!

I dont think that would work, i think its to close to the legalization of marijuanna, im pretty sure that was meant to cover all drugs

Slappy8800
10-25-2006, 06:37 PM
Um also what is intelligent design?

basically the belief in God...more or less.....

UCFinfan86
10-25-2006, 06:40 PM

o, he said no religious speeches as well. I didn't mention that because im not very religious so i didn't even write it down when taking notes because im not interested in that stuff. But ya, we are really restricted on this one

Slappy8800
10-25-2006, 06:40 PM
do it on how bad the dolphins suck

ih8brady
10-25-2006, 06:45 PM

Side note, true intelligent design suggests some higher force/factor involved in creating the universe and strictly contradicts Christianity. So ironic that the religious right clings on to a loose-kind-of Deism as though its proof of Christianity, when it actually goes against it. Shows their ignorance.

UCFinfan86
10-25-2006, 06:50 PM
do it on how bad the dolphins suck

lol i would love to, and i could find lots of sources such as Sean Salisbury, but the only reason i can't is because it doesnt relevance to everyone in the class which is bull****, how can you not be a dolphins or football fan

UCFinfan86
10-25-2006, 08:56 PM
Do you guys think Steriods might be along the lines? Maybe the effects of steriods in kids. I should be able to find citations for that.

The only problem i can think of is how is it relevant to the class. I could start off saying, Everyone has been to the gym at one point in time and has seen people that overly built(will use a better word, just the only thing i can think of right now) and most of them are that way because if steriods.

Ehh i don't know, its not really that relevant. The example the teacher gave about it being relevant is, during Rex Grossmans freshman year he had a tremendous season, and someone did a speech about why he should get the heisman and be the first freshman ever, and he said that she had citations from like Mel Kiper and whatever but that wasnt relevant to the class. His words were why should they care??

Maybe if i can make it sound like most people here know of someone taking steriods this way it affects them becasue it affects their friends?? I know alot of people at UCF take steriods, i go to the gym like 4 times a week and you just know the ones that are on, plus i over hear some conversations, so it could be relevant. Mr. Speech teacher Dr. Zoom where are u when i need u

DonShula84
10-25-2006, 09:01 PM
I did the death penalty for a speech I had in a similar class. Since your teacher used that as an example it probably wouldnt be a good choice for you. Just pick any current political topic, it'll be easy to find sources, there are two sides to the issue so it's easy to fill time and it affects everyone in the class in some way. Use immigration, War in Iraq, Social Security, Gay Marriage, 9/11 Conspiracy theory could be a fun one to piss people off also.

The Rev
10-25-2006, 09:04 PM
What about the right to carry a gun?

UCFinfan86
10-25-2006, 09:10 PM
What about the right to carry a gun?

you mean randomly? just like walking down the street?

UCFinfan86
10-25-2006, 09:12 PM
I did the death penalty for a speech I had in a similar class. Since your teacher used that as an example it probably wouldnt be a good choice for you. Just pick any current political topic, it'll be easy to find sources, there are two sides to the issue so it's easy to fill time and it affects everyone in the class in some way. Use immigration, War in Iraq, Social Security, Gay Marriage, 9/11 Conspiracy theory could be a fun one to piss people off also.

Hmm those are some good ones. I like the gay marriage one because that should get the class interested, although then i have to pick a side and defend it.

There should be alot of information on 9/11 conspiracy theory especially in the new york times. But im afraid of having to go to indepth, there is alot to talk about on that subject. And there are some different ways you can go, you can elaborate on just 1 theory, or you can talk about the various theories. Although that means i would be siding with the theories. What if i feel there is no theory

UCFinfan86
10-25-2006, 09:25 PM
after thinking about it, how does gay marriage affect with people in my class?

spydertl79
10-25-2006, 10:32 PM
how about whether or not USF vs. UCF is really a rivalry.

UCFinfan86
10-26-2006, 09:01 AM
how about whether or not USF vs. UCF is really a rivalry.

Can't find citations for it

Timmy54
10-26-2006, 09:27 AM
if your going to do the death penalty, do something fun like public executions and limiting the appeal process for convicted killers. Take that butt they injected last night, he did his crimes so long ago freshman here were in diapers and dont have the fear he brought back in the early 90's. i did a paper on public executions and using the money generated from ticket sales, pay-per-view, and novelities (ted bundy t-shirts) to pay for the prisoners incarceration and to give some to the families affected. It really made my english professor really uneasy, i loved it.

Slappy8800
10-26-2006, 01:14 PM
how bout

"why the electoral college sucks and how its ruining our country"

UCFinfan86
10-26-2006, 01:20 PM
if your going to do the death penalty, do something fun like public executions and limiting the appeal process for convicted killers. Take that butt they injected last night, he did his crimes so long ago freshman here were in diapers and dont have the fear he brought back in the early 90's. i did a paper on public executions and using the money generated from ticket sales, pay-per-view, and novelities (ted bundy t-shirts) to pay for the prisoners incarceration and to give some to the families affected. It really made my english professor really uneasy, i loved it.

That was his other example he used because the class was yesterday and i guess his sentencing was yesterday? I've never heard of him except on South Park last night(yes i know its sad, i've never heard of him)

UCFinfan86
10-26-2006, 01:21 PM
how bout

Hmm that could work, i bet i could find alot of people that provide quotes and information from the NY and Washington news papers about that. Off the top of my head wasn't the kerry/bush where kerry had more votes but bush had more electoral votes??

UCFinfan86
10-26-2006, 01:22 PM
how bout

That might actually be tough for a speech, i would have to give alot of background about politicians and voting and what not and i don't know diddle squat about that. God damn why did he take away all the topics, there isn't **** left.

Slappy8800
10-26-2006, 05:02 PM
was bush's first term vs gore i believe