PDA

View Full Version : OL question to Draftniks.

JAGFISH
10-25-2006, 09:21 PM
Hello
I follow the draft pretty religiously after the reguar season. To me the most glaring hole on the team is OL.

My question is simply how good is Joe Thomas? Is he Boselli good or Jordan Gross good, or Robert Gallery good? What about Sam Baker?

Joneal7
10-25-2006, 09:25 PM
ive seen someone compare him to Walter Jones because of his wingspan...but im no draft guru

JAGFISH
10-25-2006, 09:27 PM
His size is impressive but I was wondering if he is a blue chip LT? Very few of those don't pan out. Robert Gallery is questionable though.

DUB
10-25-2006, 09:27 PM
ive seen someone compare him to Walter Jones because of his wingspan...but im no draft guru
Similar story to Gallery, big ten, ton of pre-draft hype, however from what I have seen he dominates.

Dolfan11
10-25-2006, 09:30 PM
Hello
I follow the draft pretty religiously after the reguar season. To me the most glaring hole on the team is OL.

My question is simply how good is Joe Thomas? Is he Boselli good or Jordan Gross good, or Robert Gallery good? What about Sam Baker?

Haven't watched him enough to know to much. From what I do read though, he doesn't have the same pass blocking like D'Brickashaw Ferguson, but he's solid all around. I just hope we don't take a tackle if we have a top 5 pick.

JAGFISH
10-25-2006, 09:58 PM
Haven't watched him enough to know to much. From what I do read though, he doesn't have the same pass blocking like D'Brickashaw Ferguson, but he's solid all around. I just hope we don't take a tackle if we have a top 5 pick.

I hope we do. It is not a sexy pick, but these guys are conerstone players and the great ones are usually taken in the top picks. Richmond Webb was the 8th overall and he worked out great.

PJack
10-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Joe Thomas info. Great site for Draft info.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/joe_thomas.html

Miamibyrd_24
10-25-2006, 10:14 PM
As long as we get a few run blockers in here were fine. Majority of the guy we have now seems to good pass blockers, but when it comes down to the run they havent proved anything.

adamprez2003
10-25-2006, 10:43 PM
I think he'll be a good right tackle, not sure about left tackle though.

DefensiveEnd#76
10-26-2006, 08:29 AM
The vast majority of Wisconsin Badger o-linemen that have entered the NFL have not faired very well. Thomas suffered a severe injury last year so you have to wonder if he will ever regain the quickness he once had. I compare him to Iowa's Robert Gallery. Thomas is about 6'7 1/2 and 303 pounds. He needs to add some more bulk.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
10-26-2006, 08:40 AM
he's nothing like gallery. he's got plenty of bulk; he's 6'8, 320. he's definitely not a RT. he tore his ACL last year, but it wasn't even that bad, as far as ACL tears go; he was bending his knee 90 degrees the day after surgery and has looked just as good this year as last year. he's better blocking for the run than the pass, and he's great in pass protection.

kpcane
10-26-2006, 09:57 AM
It looks like we'll have a high draft pick this year. If we can get a franchise LT, we have to do it. We need to have a draft similar to the Jets '06 draft.

Mr772
10-26-2006, 11:19 AM
he's nothing like gallery. he's got plenty of bulk; he's 6'8, 320. he's definitely not a RT. he tore his ACL last year, but it wasn't even that bad, as far as ACL tears go; he was bending his knee 90 degrees the day after surgery and has looked just as good this year as last year. he's better blocking for the run than the pass, and he's great in pass protection.

Do you think the guy from Maryland declares this year and if so how does he compare?

Pennington's Rocket Arm
10-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Do you think the guy from Maryland declares this year and if so how does he compare?
if he does, that'd be awesome...he's really good and a freakish athlete. he make take longer to develop than thomas, but in the long run, he could be a better pick...

Gardenhead
10-26-2006, 01:30 PM
I think we need help on the INTERIOR of our line, not the edges. Don't get me wrong, our tackles suck, but our guards and center REALLY SUCK!

Stitches
10-26-2006, 01:41 PM
I think we need help on the INTERIOR of our line, not the edges. Don't get me wrong, our tackles suck, but our guards and center REALLY SUCK!

Well, we will most likely address the G situation in FA, and that's assuming Shelton doesn't prove to be a good fit @ G. Because Joe Toledo will be expected to contribute next year, and the staff is high on Berger too. I could definitely see us looking at C in the draft though.

hooserdaddy
10-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Well, we will most likely address the G situation in FA, and that's assuming Shelton doesn't prove to be a good fit @ G. Because Joe Toledo will be expected to contribute next year, and the staff is high on Berger too. I could definitely see us looking at C in the draft though.

You can normally get a good center in 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Stitches
10-26-2006, 02:09 PM
You can normally get a good center in 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Sometimes they even slip to the 4th, but the 3rd round would be a good spot for us to look(although it depends on our 1st round selection, because we need OLB and a #1 CB too).

Gardenhead
10-26-2006, 03:07 PM
I agree with you guys, but here's my thinking:

We overpay for the best guard on the market. I know there is only one Steve Hutchinson and LeCharles Bentley, but if there's a big fat Pro-Bowl caliber FA out there, I say we outbid everybody for him.

Then, we go for Calvin Johnson with our (very likely) top 5 draft pick.

Thoughts?

Stitches
10-26-2006, 03:15 PM
I agree with you guys, but here's my thinking:

We overpay for the best guard on the market. I know there is only one Steve Hutchinson and LeCharles Bentley, but if there's a big fat Pro-Bowl caliber FA out there, I say we outbid everybody for him.

Then, we go for Calvin Johnson with our (very likely) top 5 draft pick.

Thoughts?

I don't see the current staff overpaying for anyone. I think they would prefer to go after a solid player who can be given a fair contract, and the opportunity to outperform thier contract. If you overpay for an all-pro, the chance of them exceeding it(let alone playing up to it) aren't the best.