PDA

View Full Version : Ga. Man Accused of Circumcising Daughter

BAMAPHIN 22
10-26-2006, 11:47 AM
An immigrant from Africa has gone on trial on charges alleging he circumcised his 2-year-old daughter with a pair of scissors to avoid bringing shame on his family.

It appears to be a groundbreaking prosecution for a case of female genital mutilation in the U.S., said Taina Bien-Aime, executive director of Equality Now, a New York-based human rights group that focuses on violence and discrimination against women and girls around the world.

Khalid Adem could face 40 years in prison if convicted in Gwinnett County on the charges of aggravated battery and cruelty to children.

Prosecutor Marty First acknowledged that Adem, who was born in Ethiopia, is from a culture that practices female circumcision.

"But circumcision is just a nice way of saying mutilation," First told the jury in his opening statement Tuesday. "There is no doubt that she was mutilated. And this is not something you go to a doctor and do because no doctor will do it. He did this to his own baby."

The practice, a tradition in some African cultures, is widely condemned by human rights groups and has been outlawed in the United States since 1997.
Police have said that Adem used scissors to circumcise his daughter in their Duluth apartment in 2001. The child's mother said she didn't discover it until more than a year later.

"He did not do that. He never wanted it to happen," defense attorney W. Mark Hill told the jury. "He will tell you that. And that only leaves two people. The people who were primarily taking care of the child. The mother and the grandmother."

First said the girl told Gwinnett County authorities that her father cut her. The prosecutor quoted Adem as saying in late 2002 and early 2003 that if the girl were not circumcised, "it will be a shame to the family."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/LegalCenter/wireStory?id=2605995

Motion
10-26-2006, 11:49 AM
:mad::shakeno:

MNFINFAN
10-26-2006, 11:52 AM
As soon as I saw the title I thought he had to be East African, as that is considered normal in many of the countries in that part of the world. I wonder how they will convict him, as it is a he said she said situation.

Timmy54
10-26-2006, 12:28 PM
isnt this some sort of religious ceremony in some parts of the world. i know it is sick and twisted but drinking the blood of christ, and yes virginia they did drink blood for a while in the catholic church till they decided wine tasted better.

ch19079
10-26-2006, 01:33 PM
first off, they dont really go in to exactly what was done. i have heard of several diffrent acts that are all called "female circumcision", but i guess they didnt want to go to far in to it. it could range from something similar to male circumcison to something very brutal.

the only info i could find on female circumcision in america says it was banned in 1996. 1996 was not that long ago. It makes you think about how male circumcision is widly accepted as the norm while female circumcision is now consitered mutilation.

so i guess whatever happened to the girl was illegal, but im hesatant to say the guy is guilty of aggravated battery and cruelty to children without knowing exactly what happend.

Stitches
10-26-2006, 01:50 PM
I saw an episode of of Law & Order where there was female circumcision. Obviously that isn't real life, but the information they use is usually accurate for the most part. I know what I consider a female circumcision to be, and I could never ever see how someone of any faith would be able to go through with such an act on a loved one.

Shula Come Back!
10-26-2006, 05:53 PM
Wtf!!!

icephinfan
10-26-2006, 06:16 PM
Wtf!!!

Exactly. :shakeno:

PrepDogg
10-26-2006, 06:20 PM
:shotgun: That guy.

BritP
10-26-2006, 07:03 PM
OMG, that is awful, just plain wrong!

HolliFinFan
10-26-2006, 07:10 PM
first off, they dont really go in to exactly what was done. i have heard of several diffrent acts that are all called "female circumcision", but i guess they didnt want to go to far in to it. it could range from something similar to male circumcison to something very brutal.

the only info i could find on female circumcision in america says it was banned in 1996. 1996 was not that long ago. It makes you think about how male circumcision is widly accepted as the norm while female circumcision is now consitered mutilation.

so i guess whatever happened to the girl was illegal, but im hesatant to say the guy is guilty of aggravated battery and cruelty to children without knowing exactly what happend.

Do some more research. They are two different procedures with two wholely different outcomes. Not a parallel in the least. I don't know if your dates are correct, if so, it's because of an influx of other cultures, I'd guess. Seriously, this is not apples to oranges here...

MNFINFAN
10-26-2006, 07:11 PM
As I mentioned up above it is normal practice in areas of Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Somalia, Eritrea etc. He is a recent immigrant and probably doesn't know the laws here, obviously legally that does not excuse him, but to him it is as natural as American's chopping off their boys' foreskins.

MNFINFAN
10-26-2006, 07:13 PM
As I mentioned up above it is normal practice in areas of Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Somalia, Eritrea etc. He is a recent immigrant and probably doesn't know the laws here, obviously legally that does not excuse him, but to him it is as natural as American's chopping off their boys' foreskins.
But anyway it is a pretty gross practice, and can cause major harm to the female genitalia. Human Rights groups are trying to curb the practice in Africa but find it very hard to over come deeply ingrained customs such as this.

HolliFinFan
10-26-2006, 07:20 PM
But anyway it is a pretty gross practice, and can cause major harm to the female genitalia. Human Rights groups are trying to curb the practice in Africa but find it very hard to over come deeply ingrained customs such as this.

My brother-in-law just briefly returned to the States after living and working in Nigeria for seven years, so yes, what you say is true. I'm glad you elaborated on the previous post, as the effects of this certainly aren't the equivalent of removing the foreskin from a *****.

HolliFinFan
10-26-2006, 07:29 PM
My brother-in-law just briefly returned to the States after living and working in Nigeria for seven years, so yes, what you say is true. I'm glad you elaborated on the previous post, as the effects of this certainly aren't the equivalent of removing the foreskin from a *****.

Okay, :lol: , I didn't type the *****. I guess this is my first experience of being censored. I am not offended or anything, but find it odd that "I like boobs" is permissable, yet not a biologic reference to anatomy. Maybe it's just me. Ya got me, Filter :sidelol:

MNFINFAN
10-26-2006, 07:36 PM
that is why I elaborated, my previous response was to all the WTF, *******, lets hang the ******* up by his nuts crowd. To most Eastern and obviously some West Africans if it occurs in Nigeria, this is a perfectly natural custom and form of passage for a young girl to become a marriable woman. I know women who have had this occur and it is ****ing awful, can cause sterility from infection which makes the woman less worthy in the men's mind. Quite a catch 22 eh?`

HolliFinFan
10-26-2006, 07:47 PM
that is why I elaborated, my previous response was to all the WTF, *******, lets hang the ******* up by his nuts crowd. To most Eastern and obviously some West Africans if it occurs in Nigeria, this is a perfectly natural custom and form of passage for a young girl to become a marriable woman. I know women who have had this occur and it is ****ing awful, can cause sterility from infection which makes the woman less worthy in the men's mind. Quite a catch 22 eh?`

Yes, a significant Catch 22. See Paul, I married a foreigner, like you :wink: , and this experience has really been beneficial in understanding other cultures, yet even if appalled by them. My husband's father is Scottish, though the only child of four who was born in the States. The others were born in Scotland. His mom is Latina, Venezuelan. He didn't even live in the States until he was 19, though he's always been an American citizen. For this American born, Pittsburgh born gal, it's been a fantastic eye opener :lol:

PassRush
10-27-2006, 02:28 AM
Meh, its what he know. It may sound unpassrusslike but I say just wag a finger at him and inform him that in the United States, such practices are sharply frowned upon.

sugarcane
10-27-2006, 06:22 AM
I say unless there's a problem down there keep your dang pecker peelers out of there.

ch19079
10-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Do some more research. They are two different procedures with two wholely different outcomes. Not a parallel in the least.
thats the thing, i have looked in to it. The problem is that the term "female circumcision" is used to describe several diffrent things in several diffrent cultures. the original post/article did not say exactly what happened.

you say there is no parallel in the least, but there is a form of female circumcision that is very similar to male circumcision.

we just dont know exactly what was done.

SpurzN703
10-27-2006, 10:10 AM
OMG, that is awful, just plain wrong!

You'd know more then us! :rolleyes:

The whole act of circumcision is just :escape:

BAMAPHIN 22
11-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Jury convicts father in genital mutilation of girl

A jury Wednesday found an Ethiopian immigrant guilty of the genital mutilation of his 2-year-old daughter in what was believed to be the first criminal case in the United States involving the ancient African tradition.

Khalid Adem, 30, was convicted of aggravated battery and cruelty to children. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Prosecutors said Adem used scissors to remove his daughter’s clitoris in his family’s Atlanta-area apartment in 2001. The child’s mother, Fortunate Adem, said she did not discover it until more than a year later.

During her father’s trial, the girl, now 7, clutched a teddy bear as she testified on videotape that her father “cut me on my private part.”

Federal law specifically bans the practice of genital mutilation, but many states do not have a law addressing it. Georgia lawmakers, with the support of the girl’s mother, passed an anti-mutilation law last year. But Adem was not tried under that law since it did not exist when his daughter was cut.

During the trial, Adem testified he never circumcised his daughter or asked anyone else to do so. He said he grew up in Addis Ababa, the capital of Ethiopia, and considers the practice more prevalent in rural areas.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15515179/