PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Fins in position for great offeason

tonto_phin
10-27-2006, 03:28 AM
mmmmm cap room

DOLPHINS NOTEBOOK

In position for a big offseason

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO

asalguero@MiamiHerald.com (asalguero@MiamiHerald.com)

The Dolphins are envisioning the 2007 offseason as a time when they can do great things to improve the team. They have all but one of their draft picks and are expected to be approximately $21 million under the estimated $109 million salary cap, according to NFLPA sources.

icephinfan
10-27-2006, 03:35 AM
$21 million, we should be able to sign some playmakers.

SR 7
10-27-2006, 04:19 AM
sounds GREATTTTTTTTTTT!

fitskin
10-27-2006, 04:43 AM
I recall hearing this exact same thing last year, than all of our money disappeared. Don't get your hopes up.

PhinsRock
10-27-2006, 04:57 AM
Lets hope we make some serious improvements. We NEED it!

dolfanrodney
10-27-2006, 05:49 AM
Good get CB Nate Clemants, DE Dwight Freeney, and or LB Cato June.

Ohio Fanatic
10-27-2006, 06:49 AM

keep dreaming. no way that happens

kasaba13
10-27-2006, 07:13 AM
Man, Freeney on the other side of JT would be unbelievable. The only problem is that there is no way in the world that Indy doesn't franchise Freeney. Is there an elite free agent OL on the horizon as a free agent?

jim1
10-27-2006, 07:28 AM
The Dolphins are envisioning the 2007 offseason as a time when they can do great things to improve the team. They have all but one of their draft picks and are expected to be approximately $21 million under the estimated $109 million salary cap, according to NFLPA sources.
That could free Nick Saban to infuse the roster with talent.
''I think that what we try to do is get healthier and healthier from a business standpoint, so that we would be able to do more and more things in the future to improve the team,'' Saban said Thursday. ``We're going to have a good opportunity to do that next year, based on the business position we've been able to put ourselves in.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/15860629.htm

Dfan06
10-27-2006, 07:28 AM
Man, Freeney on the other side of JT would be unbelievable. The only problem is that there is no way in the world that Indy doesn't franchise Freeney. Is there an elite free agent OL on the horizon as a free agent?

Our pass rushing will be awesome

PHINANALYST
10-27-2006, 07:48 AM
21 MIL is good, but not GREAT ... subtract out at least 5 MIL for the draft picks and that leaves ~ 16 MIL ...

Exactly how many 'high' priced signings do we think that will bring in ... probably about 2 .... or about 4 X tier 2 type players ... reason being is that we have about 15-20 spots to fill with expiring contracts, etc ..... of course, these figures don't include other cost cutting mechanisms like cutting players with existing contracts.

Good news considering where we have been .... but it is NOT our panacea.

ROCHESTERPHISH
10-27-2006, 08:25 AM

PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM BILLS PLAYERS!!!!

SCall13
10-27-2006, 08:27 AM
If I were the front office, my focus right now, would be on trimming some fat through contract re-negotiations and looking at who needs to be let go. It's time for this team to go through some big changes.

Behar
10-27-2006, 09:36 AM
we were so hyped up last offseason it's tough to do it again, specially in October!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:fire:

GRT8
10-27-2006, 09:56 AM
I recall hearing this exact same thing last year, than all of our money disappeared. Don't get your hopes up.

so true!!

JG718
10-27-2006, 10:48 AM

EXACTLY!!!!
never feed into the season hype about offseason money

nando03
10-27-2006, 11:50 AM
I agree with not gettin too hyped up. I remember getting really excited about this season when we signed Culpepper.

DolfanDaveInATX
10-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Another thing to consider about that $21 million under figure: Where are all the other teams? If the majority of them are close to the cap, us being $21 million under means a lot. But if most teams are in the ballpark of where we are, there's going to be a lot more money chasing the same number of players, which means that the guys we want are going to cost a lot more than if we're one of a handful of active teams in free agency.

Stefins
10-27-2006, 12:44 PM

WHAT!!!

None of them play the OL.
WE need OL help first

oldfinfan
10-27-2006, 02:59 PM

what do u mean disappeared ? we signed lots of FA's...they were not good picks, that's all.

the money will be there, it appears...hope saban uses it more wisely than he's done so far.

BornSlippy
10-27-2006, 06:21 PM
First if we do have 21 million, subtract about 6 mill for draft picks. We also have about 20 roster spots to fill. Very tough to get an impact free agent, when most of the money will be used just to fill the roster.As for other teams the Patriots are projected to have 35 mill in cap space as well as a bunch of draft picks. Jets are in a similar boat but with less cap space then the Pats.