PDA

View Full Version : MERGE-Say yes to Joe Thomas-Say no

dolphan21
10-28-2006, 03:07 PM
If any of you are home, turn on ESPN and watch Joe Thomas #72 on Wisconsin. Im sure all of you are extremely upset by this season. But at least we can look at the bright side, we can get an unbelievable player such as Thomas or calvin johnson

GO FINS!

miami234ever
10-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Go Joe Thomas!

ItsOurTime32
10-28-2006, 06:57 PM
i don't want calvin johnson that would be a wasted pick go for a position we need like DB or OL

Roman529
10-28-2006, 07:14 PM
I watched the Wisconsin game....Joe was blocking people out of the picture.....I would love to see him blocking for Ronnie. Sign him up!!!! :D

TimeGap
10-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Sorry to tell you Itsourtime but we need help at every position except RB

nolefin
10-29-2006, 12:41 AM
dont get me wrong we need o-line and i am all about drafting oline but if we have a top 5 pick we should NOT spend it on thomas, he is good and all and might turn out to be a good player BUT he has had a major knee injury and thats to high to draft a guy with an injury past. calvin johnson is looking good or trade down and get a stud LB like willis or buster davis, good olinemen can be picked up in the 2nd round like the monster from michigan long #77

Dolfan4life34
10-29-2006, 02:34 AM
i agree u can grab someone in the second or sign steinbach i lke CJ or trading down to pik up piks

305TillIDie
10-29-2006, 02:36 AM
yeah..i think you still can get a good o-lineman later in the draft...we need a playmaker in the top 5..if not, trade down and get more picks

dominizzo
10-29-2006, 02:47 AM
I heard Joe Thomas can be the next Pace

dominizzo
10-29-2006, 02:48 AM
I watched the Wisconsin game....Joe was blocking people out of the picture.....I would love to see him blocking for Ronnie. Sign him up!!!! :D

CJ is also a good Option

jlfin
10-29-2006, 07:52 AM
I heard Joe Thomas can be the next Pace

So what? I don't see him making as big an impact as Manning, Brady, Palmer etc.
I don't believe you should draft an O-lineman with a top 5 pick. That pick should be for an impact player (QB, RB, WR, DE) who can change a game in one play.

bert
10-29-2006, 09:05 AM
i understand your point but ,it doesnt matter about a qb-rb -wr if they are getting hit in the back field,or they dont have time to throw.i fig they way we are going now a 3-5 first round pick.trading down a few spots and picking up a 2nd rounder would be cool to.i'm not sure who to get at left tackle in the 1st,but it needs to someone very good.picking up someone average later on is not going to get it done anymore,at least on the o-line.but hel* we need alot of things lol.

FRESHNESS
10-29-2006, 09:49 AM
I don't believe you should draft an O-lineman with a top 5 pick. That pick should be for an impact player (QB, RB, WR, DE) who can change a game in one play.

If you have a chance to grab an Orlando Pace...you do it! I'm not saying anything about if this dude would be even close, but if the personnel dept sees him as being as good as Pace, he will be ours (if avial). A solid tackle is a staple that this club hasn't seen since #78....and it shows.

Crowder52
10-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Where did this misconception come from?

"You can get good O-Line later in the draft."

Well, you can get good skill position players later in the draft too! Anyways I'm not sold on Joe Thomas but I do hope we go O-Line in the first if the right value is there. Also, it's very easy to say "just trade down and get more picks" but very hard to do in practice.

PlexGod
10-29-2006, 10:26 AM

are u kidding me..... oline is the most important thing on the offense.... look without a good oline all those "impact players" arent sh*t..... if you dont have a solid oline to open up hole for impact rbs ( ronnie brown) or an oline to block for the qb long enough for him to throw the ball to those "impact players" (c chambers, wes, randy) then those guys just become another guy on the field....... you want to know how to shut down a top wr....... put pressure on the qb as much as you can and youll see how those impact players dont do sh*t.... ( look at randy moss) and look at (edge) both of them are great players with bad olines and now they suck...... we need an oline and we need one bad......if we could move the ball on offense and our d doesnt have to be on the field 3/4th of the time then i think we would have won atleast 3 more games this year.....if u have a top 4 or 5 pick we have to draft thomas...... or trade down get an extra pick or 2 and still pick up levi brown from penn state

Montella
10-29-2006, 10:42 AM
yeah..i think you still can get a good o-lineman later in the draft...we need a playmaker in the top 5..if not, trade down and get more picks

:yeahthat:

maybe landry or griffin for the safety spot or a stud mlb/olb, cj should be gone in the top 3...

1. landry/griffin (safety) both playmakers
2. blades (mlb) one of the better mlb
3. smith (olb) great pass rushing 3-4 olb 4-3 de
4. wade (cb) good physical corner
5. traded for harrington
6. bpa
7. bpa

SpencerFS
10-29-2006, 11:09 AM
No To Joe!!!

jlfin
10-29-2006, 12:06 PM
are u kidding me..... oline is the most important thing on the offense.... look without a good oline all those "impact players" arent sh*t..... if you dont have a solid oline to open up hole for impact rbs ( ronnie brown) or an oline to block for the qb long enough for him to throw the ball to those "impact players" (c chambers, wes, randy) then those guys just become another guy on the field....... you want to know how to shut down a top wr....... put pressure on the qb as much as you can and youll see how those impact players dont do sh*t.... ( look at randy moss) and look at (edge) both of them are great players with bad olines and now they suck...... we need an oline and we need one bad......if we could move the ball on offense and our d doesnt have to be on the field 3/4th of the time then i think we would have won atleast 3 more games this year.....if u have a top 4 or 5 pick we have to draft thomas...... or trade down get an extra pick or 2 and still pick up levi brown from penn state

Yes, but you need FIVE of them. Not a superstar and 4 scrubs. Orlando Pace isn't worth the money relative to his contribution.
If the Phins pick top 3 they will be shelling out about 25 million in guaranteed money. I'm sorry no O-lineman makes ENOUGH of an impact to justify that kind of expense.

retarmyfinfan
10-29-2006, 12:17 PM
i don't want calvin johnson that would be a wasted pick go for a position we need like DB or OL

You pick best player available. What if the best DB/OL is gone when you pick? You settle for the 2nd best OL or DB if CJ is still on the board? If Saban and Co pick like that we will never have any playmakers on the team. 2nd best OL/DB means they came in second place. And second place only means you were the first loser.

retarmyfinfan
10-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Yes, but you need FIVE of them. Not a superstar and 4 scrubs. Orlando Pace isn't worth the money relative to his contribution.
If the Phins pick top 3 they will be shelling out about 25 million in guaranteed money. I'm sorry no O-lineman makes ENOUGH of an impact to justify that kind of expense.

You are absolutely right. Didn't help the Raiders when they picked Gallery.

ChambersWI
10-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Where did this misconception come from?

"You can get good O-Line later in the draft."

Well, you can get good skill position players later in the draft too! Anyways I'm not sold on Joe Thomas but I do hope we go O-Line in the first if the right value is there. Also, it's very easy to say "just trade down and get more picks" but very hard to do in practice.

Broncos have 1 first round pick on their O-line, and a bunch of guys from day 2 of the darft.

But I agree, the best o-linemen are picked early in the draft. The best LTs in the game (Pace,Jones, Ogden, Glenn) were picked in round 1. A lot of the other pro bowl o-linemen are picked day 1.

ChambersWI
10-29-2006, 12:32 PM
You are absolutely right. Didn't help the Raiders when they picked Gallery.

to be fair to Gallery, he has played RG,RT, and LT and has played in a different blocking scheme in each of his first three seasons. But he was also an overrated prospect to begin with IMO. Definatly first round caliber, but he looked a lot better than he actually was because he played a long guys like Eric Steinbach at Iowa.

Crowder52
10-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Broncos have 1 first round pick on their O-line, and a bunch of guys from day 2 of the darft.

But I agree, the best o-linemen are picked early in the draft. The best LTs in the game (Pace,Jones, Ogden, Glenn) were picked in round 1. A lot of the other pro bowl o-linemen are picked day 1.

Yea Broncos are obviously an exception, their system is damn near flawless.

MrEd
10-29-2006, 12:54 PM

I agree. And so does 90% of the league managers. :wink: According to history.

MrEd
10-29-2006, 12:56 PM

I agree. This is why I'm for trading Chambers for another 1st round pick. Then we can pick a WR and a LT.

Crowder52
10-29-2006, 01:03 PM
I agree. This is why I'm for trading Chambers for another 1st round pick. Then we can pick a WR and a LT.

That would be sweet, but if Javon Walker and T.O. only returned a 2nd rounder, I don't think we could find someone to give us a 1st for Chambers. Then again, Deion Branch went for a 1st rounder in a trade that baffled me, so I guess it's possible. But I would take Branch over Chambers, and I think the Seahawks are just desperate to win now.

ChambersWI
10-29-2006, 01:33 PM
That would be sweet, but if Javon Walker and T.O. only returned a 2nd rounder, I don't think we could find someone to give us a 1st for Chambers. Then again, Deion Branch went for a 1st rounder in a trade that baffled me, so I guess it's possible. But I would take Branch over Chambers, and I think the Seahawks are just desperate to win now.

TO was not going to play for SanFran or Baltimore, and Walker was damaged goods.

Even so, CC would not get us a 1st because of his disappearing magic act.

ChambersWI
10-29-2006, 02:12 PM
and to answer the original question about Joe Thomas.

No he will not be the next Orlando Pace. Pace was a freak in college, and was the definition of dominance. He would be moved to FB for short yardage, and was put on the d-line to stop short yardage. He finished top 5 in heisman voting.

Thomas is however a better prospect than both gallery and ferguson

gillderais
10-29-2006, 06:22 PM
Anytime you can get a talent like that to help improve the line (need) you gotta think, thats interesting very interesting. It makes a heck of alot more sense then drafting another QB. (who needs to sit, who knows, maybe indefinately) There is always the possibily of trading down and picking up more picks, just depends on whats ou there for us when we pick. We do have enough holes to fill, thats for sure. But the line needs to be adressed, --with a 1st. It cannnot be ignored to later in the draft.

VanDolPhan
10-29-2006, 11:00 PM

Are you kidding me? After QB the LT is the most important position on offense. Look at the list of LT's in this game. You'll find nearly half came in the first round. It's simply pretty hard to find a good to great LT outside of the first round. RT's yes although some of the best RT's have also come in the top 15.

History of tackles chosen in the top 15 since 1990.

1990: Richmond Webb 9th overall (Miami's 7 time pro bowler)
1991: Charles McRae 7th overall
Antone Davis 8th overall (5 year starter for Philly)
Pat Harlow 11th overall
1992: Bob Whitfield 8th overall (Now in his 15th year. 1 pro bowl)
Ray Roberts 10th overall (played for 10 seasons)
Leon Searcy 11th overall (played for 11 years. 2 pro bowls)
*note: Also the draft that the Bills John Fina came out of at 27
1993 Willie Roaf 8th overall (11 time pro bowler)
Lincoln Kennedy 9th overall (played till 2004. 2 time pro bowler)
Brad Hopkins 13th overall (13 year vet, 2 time pro bowler)
1994 Bernard Williams 14th overall
Wayne Gandy 15th overall (Solid Starter to this day. 1 Pro Bowl)
*note: Todd Steussie came out of this draft at 19
1995 Tony Boselli 2nd overall (Excellent LT until injuries derailed career)
*Also the draft that produced Korey Stringer with pick 24
1996 Jonathan Ogden 4th overall (9 time pro bowler)
Willie Anderson 10th overall (3 time pro bowler)
1997 Orlando Pace 1st overall (7 time pro bowler)
Walter Jones 6th overall (5 time pro bowler)
*Also Tarik Glenn of Indy and Ross Verba of Green Bay in the first
1998 Kyle Turley 7th overall
Tra Thomas 11th overall (3 time pro bowler)
1999 John Tait 14th overall (Solid starting tackle)
*Luke Petitgout drafted at the 19 spot
2000 Chris Samuels 3rd overall (3 time pro bowler)
2001 Leonard Davis 2nd overall (bounced around line. May be better RG)
2002 Mike Williams 4th overall (Buffalo's infamous flop)
Bryant McKinnie 7th overall
Levi Jones 10th overall (1 pro bowl. Great starter at LT)
2003 Jordan Gross 8th overall (started at RT now at LT)
*also produced 2 starting RT's in George Foster and Kwame Harris
2004 Robert Gallery 2nd overall (Suited for RT. Playing LT on a poor line)
*Also produced Vernon Carey (solid RT starter after slow first year)
2005 Jammal Brown 13th overall (Great starter for NO)
2006 D'Brickashaw Ferguson 4th overall (starting rookie LT. Looking good)

That's a good bunch in the top half of the draft. I also listed good tackles that came out later in the first round which you will see there was a dearth of. That also applied to the 2nd round where outside of the last 2 season that has forced some rookie starters in (jury's out) there were only a small handful of 2nd round starters who ever amounted to much of anything.

Boik14
10-30-2006, 02:26 AM
You are absolutely right. Didn't help the Raiders when they picked Gallery. Yeah but Gallery hasnt lived up to the hype and thats a big part of why it hasnt helped the raiders...well that and nothing can help the raiders as long as davis is there. Live on Al.

Boik14
10-30-2006, 02:27 AM
Id be all for Joe Thomas or levi brown. Its a fact that DC holds the ball forever. It helped him when McKinnie was drafted by minny and it would help him if we kept him upright long enough to be the effective qb he can be.

Fresh
10-30-2006, 03:29 AM

Dumb logic.. you don't pass up the better player because of a need.

Johnson or Thomas, I'd be happy with either, honestly. But I prefer Johnson over any single player in this upcoming draft.

Majpain
10-30-2006, 09:49 AM

Wasted pick? Are you kidding me? Cj is a beast. 6'4, 230+, 45 inch vert, 4.4 40.

Phishstix
10-30-2006, 12:10 PM
c.j. would be nice, but joe thomas can be an anchor at lt for 10-15 years. if he's there, gotta take him.