PDA

View Full Version : Calvin Johnson's Game Versus the U . . 10/28

Kdawg954
10-28-2006, 08:08 PM
He did good man, he definetly is a beast . . . 6'5 with a 45 inch vertical and 4.35 speed . . . and he catches the ball with his hands. I mean I haven't seen a WR with those kind of intangibles . . . EVER. He is the real deal. But I must say the Canes did a pretty good job on him, but Reggie BAll is fairly inconsistent throwing the rock . . . would love to see this kid with a pure passer throwing to him. Trust me, if Miami has the chance to draft this kid, I don't think twice about it. I don't care, u can't pass up this kind of talent. This is the Reggie Bush of WR's, a can't miss pick IMO. And with this being Ball's last season . . . I think CJ will go in early as well . . . he is a definite top 3 pick as we speak.

I think he had like 70 yards receiving and a touchdown, but his biggest role was a decoy. Everytime he flinched, the whole secondary jumped . . . he really stands out.

GRT8
10-28-2006, 08:55 PM
He did good man, he definetly is a beast . . . 6'5 with a 45 inch vertical and 4.35 speed . . . and he catches the ball with his hands. I mean I haven't seen a WR with those kind of intangibles . . . EVER. He is the real deal. But I must say the Canes did a pretty good job on him, but Reggie BAll is fairly inconsistent throwing the rock . . . would love to see this kid with a pure passer throwing to him. Trust me, if Miami has the chance to draft this kid, I don't think twice about it. I don't care, u can't pass up this kind of talent. This is the Reggie Bush of WR's, a can't miss pick IMO. And with this being Ball's last season . . . I think CJ will go in early as well . . . he is a definite top 3 pick as we speak.

I think he had like 70 yards receiving and a touchdown, but his biggest role was a decoy. Everytime he flinched, the whole secondary jumped . . . he really stands out.

thanks....I haven't seen him yet. Sounds impressive

Noodle Arm
10-28-2006, 09:56 PM
I said it on this board during his first nationally televised game his rookie year...he has the potential to have a Randy Moss like impact in the NFL (remember Randy's rookie season, when he looked like a man among boys? BEFORE he was traded to the Raiders wasteland :lol: )...I got laughed at.

HybridPHIN 23
10-28-2006, 10:01 PM
when would you say was the last time a WR of his caliber was available in the draft ? Fitzgerald and R.Williams were bigtime prospects but this guy seems better.

SCall13
10-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Calvin Johnson is outstanding. Whatever team(s) pass on him are idiots.

NJL52
10-28-2006, 10:24 PM

He is amazing but you are making him sound like a god.

He is no where near the talent of Randy Moss. Randy Moss was 6'4 with 4.25 40 and 50 inch vert.

The announcers were wrong today, Johnson is 6'5 but only runs a 4.45-4.5 with closer to 40 vert.

He had 2 drops today and the only time he got the ball was when he was matched up against little 5'10 CBs. He wasn't double covered much at all, I only saw maybe 5 times all game. He had a very average game(for him at least)

That being said, he did have a very inconsistent QB throwing the ball to him.

Vertical Limit
10-28-2006, 10:25 PM
Well, unless your Arizona, who may have a Top 3 pick yet an elite set of receivers.

jlfin
10-28-2006, 10:36 PM

There are several potentially great players in this draft. Adrian Peterson is MUCH better than Reggie Bush.
I had never seen CJ play until today. He's a good player due to his size, but he's not quick or explosive. I don't think he's going to revolutionize the WR position in the NFL.
The Jags have a similar player in Matt Jones and he's only had intermittent success. Granted he hasn't played the position as long as CJ, but Jones ran a legit sub 4.4 at the combine.

Ry24
10-28-2006, 10:51 PM
There are several potentially great players in this draft. Adrian Peterson is MUCH better than Reggie Bush.
I had never seen CJ play until today. He's a good player due to his size, but he's not quick or explosive. I don't think he's going to revolutionize the WR position in the NFL.
The Jags have a similar player in Matt Jones and he's only had intermittent success. Granted he hasn't played the position as long as CJ, but Jones ran a legit sub 4.4 at the combine.

Better than Bush?? i dont know about that one. He is also very injury prone

Majpain
10-28-2006, 11:29 PM
He runs a 4.4. He is a must have. The guy is like Moss and TO combined!!

Dors156
10-28-2006, 11:43 PM
i am sold that he will be great.i want him on this team.if we had him he would have a sever impact

Dors156
10-28-2006, 11:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI5VBX98PBg&NR

best of calvin johnson on college gameday courtesy of yotube

VanDolPhan
10-28-2006, 11:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI5VBX98PBg&NR

best of calvin johnson on college gameday courtesy of yotube

The one thing that disturbs me on that is on every catch he's got a CB on him. Suggests he may be more of a possession receiver in the NFL cause it doesn't look like he gets seperation (at least not in terms of out running CB's).

HurriPhin
10-29-2006, 12:04 AM
I agree the kid (C. Johnson) has great talent, but which "pure passer" on the Dolphins is going to throw to him, and who's going to protect that "pure passer" so C.J. can get downfield. Reciever is not a problem issue with the Dolphins, we don't have the cream of the crop (besides Chambers), but it's still not a problem issue. We need an anchor player in the draft who can make an immediate and every down impact such as D-line, O-line, QB, SS, or LB. The Dolphins need a new engine not just a fancy hood ornament.

Crowder52
10-29-2006, 12:23 AM

He is no where near the talent of Randy Moss. Randy Moss was 6'4 with 4.25 40 and 50 inch vert.

The announcers were wrong today, Johnson is 6'5 but only runs a 4.45-4.5 with closer to 40 vert.

He had 2 drops today and the only time he got the ball was when he was matched up against little 5'10 CBs. He wasn't double covered much at all, I only saw maybe 5 times all game. He had a very average game(for him at least)

Please don't make the mistake of confusing combine numbers with talent. Anquan Boldin runs a 4.65 and has a world of talent. Also...the 50 inch vertical for Moss sounds like an unrealistic number.

miami234ever
10-29-2006, 12:37 AM
We should definately draft him. Joe Thomas was my previous option, but there's a lot of top tackles that can be taken in the 2nd round.

Crowder52
10-29-2006, 12:39 AM
We should definately draft him. Joe Thomas was my previous option, but there's a lot of top tackles that can be taken in the 2nd round.

Who are the top tackles who can be taken in the 2nd?

NewEra8
10-29-2006, 12:51 AM
First off... you're crazy with that Bush statement...

Second off, if you watch more Johnson videos, you'll see that he deff. is explosive and elusive... He always has "a CB" (as somebody said) because he has a minimum of 2 defenders on him every play... most of the time with a safety spying overtop of him...

And comparing him to Matt Jones because Jones ran a 4.4 at the combine? Get out of here....... sir haha

miami234ever
10-29-2006, 01:06 AM
Who are the top tackles who can be taken in the 2nd?

Aaron Sears, Justin Blalock, Levi Brown, Sam Baker, and Jake Long. I'm not saying all of them will fall to the 2nd round, but 6 tackles aren't going to be taken in the 1st round.

jlfin
10-29-2006, 07:58 AM
First off... you're crazy with that Bush statement...

Second off, if you watch more Johnson videos, you'll see that he deff. is explosive and elusive... He always has "a CB" (as somebody said) because he has a minimum of 2 defenders on him every play... most of the time with a safety spying overtop of him...

And comparing him to Matt Jones because Jones ran a 4.4 at the combine? Get out of here....... sir haha

You obviously have not see Peterson play. He is a true running back. He creates and runs with moves and with power.
I've seen several draft sites and many analysts are saying the same thing.
With respect to CJ I admit I have not seen him play much. I watched him yesterday and he looked OK. He doesn't get separation and he is not quick out of his breaks. I think he's a 1st rd pick, but I'm not convinced he's a top 3 pick. The comparison was made to Matt Jones because of his size. Many of you in the CJ fan club continually point to his size and "speed" as a reason why he can't be passed up on draft day.
So, why don't you get out of here.......sir haha

Kdawg954
10-29-2006, 09:12 AM
You obviously have not see Peterson play. He is a true running back. He creates and runs with moves and with power.
I've seen several draft sites and many analysts are saying the same thing.
With respect to CJ I admit I have not seen him play much. I watched him yesterday and he looked OK. He doesn't get separation and he is not quick out of his breaks. I think he's a 1st rd pick, but I'm not convinced he's a top 3 pick. The comparison was made to Matt Jones because of his size. Many of you in the CJ fan club continually point to his size and "speed" as a reason why he can't be passed up on draft day.
So, why don't you get out of here.......sir haha

LOL, Matt Jones didn't play WR until he got to the NFL and he was what . . . the 21st overall pick. U have a kid who has played receiver his whole life, is a superb route runner, has excellent hands . . . is continually double covered and has never had a real great passing QB throwing him the rock and has put up the type of "combine" numbers that just add to his billing. The kid is a talent like we have never seen . . . and throw in the fact that he has no kind of off the field problems and no injury issues as of yet . . . and this is why he is considered a top 3 pick RIGHT NOW.

U compared him to Moss earlier, but Randy had off the field issues and didn't play at a big school like CJ does because of them. Also Randy NEVER had a 50 inch vertical leap, are u kidding me . . . I think he was measured at 39 inches, but does have a bit faster 40 time than CJ but he has less weight also and doesn't have the power of CJ.

And to compare Peterson, an injury prone back who can stay on the field . . . to Reggie Bush, a guy who is on pace to break the receptions record for a RB and is explosive as they come on special teams and who has proven on the field at USC many more times than Peterson has at OU, is downright crazy. Peterson is an amazing talent, but he is not in the same breath as Reggie . . . I think he could be a better back but he hasn't shown it to me manly because of his injury problems, but he doesn't have near the versatilty or quickness as Reggie Bush eiher. Not to mention Bush is a POWERFUL runner, especially for his size, it ain't no easy task taking him down.

SQuinn17
10-29-2006, 09:24 AM

that guy is an absolute baller!!! its not hat he can catch he ball, its HOW he catches the ball..with his hands, just about always. his vert is 45 inches but 45 inches is the highest the measurment can go. according to the announcer of that game, cj could out jump the measurement.

MustangFinFan
10-29-2006, 09:32 AM
hey...how come Calvin Johnson isnt even rated in the Top 5 on the 2007 NFL Draft Scout website for Wide Receivers??:confused:

Kdawg954
10-29-2006, 09:41 AM
hey...how come Calvin Johnson isnt even rated in the Top 5 on the 2007 NFL Draft Scout website for Wide Receivers??:confused:

He is still a junior

Crowder52
10-29-2006, 10:07 AM
Aaron Sears, Justin Blalock, Levi Brown, Sam Baker, and Jake Long. I'm not saying all of them will fall to the 2nd round, but 6 tackles aren't going to be taken in the 1st round.

In my opinion its foolish to even list Brown and Baker in that list. I actually like Baker better than Joe Thomas and who knows, he might end up going higher. But I just don't get what people mean when they say wait till the 2nd for O-Line, b/c you could grab a WR in the 2nd just as easily as this year's draft is stacked at WR.

Kdawg954
10-29-2006, 10:15 AM
In my opinion its foolish to even list Brown and Baker in that list. I actually like Baker better than Joe Thomas and who knows, he might end up going higher. But I just don't get what people mean when they say wait till the 2nd for O-Line, b/c you could grab a WR in the 2nd just as easily as this year's draft is stacked at WR.

That is true, and honestly I don't think WR is a big concern for us as some other things are . . . my thing is, if u have the chance to draft a Calvin Johnson . . . u do it. I mean thats the whole deal with Calvin Johnson . . . its not that we need a WR . . . its that we need a consistent playmaker, and I think with Calvin's abilities he is a direct hit, wherever he goes in the draft.

With OLine, I mean it is easier to find somebody in the second round who can be a dominant left tackle or whatever.

Crowder52
10-29-2006, 10:20 AM
That is true, and honestly I don't think WR is a big concern for us as some other things are . . . my thing is, if u have the chance to draft a Calvin Johnson . . . u do it. I mean thats the whole deal with Calvin Johnson . . . its not that we need a WR . . . its that we need a consistent playmaker, and I think with Calvin's abilities he is a direct hit, wherever he goes in the draft.

With OLine, I mean it is easier to find somebody in the second round who can be a dominant left tackle or whatever.

Don't get me wrong I love CJ, I think he's gonna be a stud. However, I realize that if we don't do a better job running the ball and protecting the passer, then it won't matter if our WRs are Torry Holt, Marvin Harrison, and Larry Fitzgerald b/c our passing game will be ineffective.

And what do you mean by the second statement, that it's easier to find a dominant left tackle in the 2nd? I can think of more dominant receivers from the 2nd round (Terrell Owens, Anquan Boldin, Chad Johnson for example) than I can left tackles.

allred65
10-29-2006, 10:24 AM
I agree the kid (C. Johnson) has great talent, but which "pure passer" on the Dolphins is going to throw to him, and who's going to protect that "pure passer" so C.J. can get downfield. Reciever is not a problem issue with the Dolphins, we don't have the cream of the crop (besides Chambers), but it's still not a problem issue. We need an anchor player in the draft who can make an immediate and every down impact such as D-line, O-line, QB, SS, or LB. The Dolphins need a new engine not just a fancy hood ornament.

Well said.

Kdawg954
10-29-2006, 10:42 AM
Don't get me wrong I love CJ, I think he's gonna be a stud. However, I realize that if we don't do a better job running the ball and protecting the passer, then it won't matter if our WRs are Torry Holt, Marvin Harrison, and Larry Fitzgerald b/c our passing game will be ineffective.

And what do you mean by the second statement, that it's easier to find a dominant left tackle in the 2nd? I can think of more dominant receivers from the 2nd round (Terrell Owens, Anquan Boldin, Chad Johnson for example) than I can left tackles.

I agree with u on the first part fully, and on the second statement I was reffering to the upcomming draft. I just feel CJ stands out at WR more than any other tackle does over the rest. Meaning I think u will be able to find a quality guy in the 2nd round at LT/OL just as good as u could in the first round with this class . . . deep class IMO. WR is also deep, however Calvin Johnson is heads above the rest.

I wouldn't be mad at all if we go OLine in the first and second round, but in the first round, u have to go BPA in a position of need IMO, whether its Gaines Adams for DE, Joe Thomas for LT, (assuming we pick later) Landry at SS, or if we have a top pick . . . Calvin Johnson as a playmaker and can't pass pick.

Crowder52
10-29-2006, 10:48 AM
I agree with u on the first part fully, and on the second statement I was reffering to the upcomming draft. I just feel CJ stands out at WR more than any other tackle does over the rest. Meaning I think u will be able to find a quality guy in the 2nd round at LT/OL just as good as u could in the first round with this class . . . deep class IMO. WR is also deep, however Calvin Johnson is heads above the rest.

I wouldn't be mad at all if we go OLine in the first and second round, but in the first round, u have to go BPA in a position of need IMO, whether its Gaines Adams for DE, Joe Thomas for LT, (assuming we pick later) Landry at SS, or if we have a top pick . . . Calvin Johnson as a playmaker and can't pass pick.

I'm with you on that second part about best player available. But we can't just say Calvin Johnson is soooo much better than the other WRs. I mean, we can say it, but we might end up sounding like the guys who said Keyshawn Johnson was soooo much better than all other WRs in the '96 draft, which included Marvin Harrison and Terrell Owens.

jlfin
10-29-2006, 12:03 PM
LOL, Matt Jones didn't play WR until he got to the NFL and he was what . . . the 21st overall pick. U have a kid who has played receiver his whole life, is a superb route runner, has excellent hands . . . is continually double covered and has never had a real great passing QB throwing him the rock and has put up the type of "combine" numbers that just add to his billing. The kid is a talent like we have never seen . . . and throw in the fact that he has no kind of off the field problems and no injury issues as of yet . . . and this is why he is considered a top 3 pick RIGHT NOW.

U compared him to Moss earlier, but Randy had off the field issues and didn't play at a big school like CJ does because of them. Also Randy NEVER had a 50 inch vertical leap, are u kidding me . . . I think he was measured at 39 inches, but does have a bit faster 40 time than CJ but he has less weight also and doesn't have the power of CJ.

And to compare Peterson, an injury prone back who can stay on the field . . . to Reggie Bush, a guy who is on pace to break the receptions record for a RB and is explosive as they come on special teams and who has proven on the field at USC many more times than Peterson has at OU, is downright crazy. Peterson is an amazing talent, but he is not in the same breath as Reggie . . . I think he could be a better back but he hasn't shown it to me manly because of his injury problems, but he doesn't have near the versatilty or quickness as Reggie Bush eiher. Not to mention Bush is a POWERFUL runner,
especially for his size, it ain't no easy task taking him down.

I never even brought up Moss's name (learn to read), and to say there is no comparison between Bush and Peterson is just plain silly. Actually, you are right there is no comparison. Peterson is a true every down back.

Kdawg954
10-29-2006, 12:08 PM
I never even brought up Moss's name (learn to read), and to say there is no comparison between Bush and Peterson is just plain silly. Actually, you are right there is no comparison. Peterson is a true every down back.

My bad about Moss, that was directed to the other cat . . . and how is Peterson an every down back if he can't stay healthy? Part of being an everydown back is being durable and healthy . . . and Peterson does not factor in to either of those.

jlfin
10-29-2006, 12:16 PM
My bad about Moss, that was directed to the other cat . . . and how is Peterson an every down back if he can't stay healthy? Part of being an everydown back is being durable and healthy . . . and Peterson does not factor in to either of those.

http://www.newsok.com/article/2961310/?print=1

Part of being an every down back is running between the tackles. Peterson is just a better running back.
His injuries high ankle sprain and shoulder separation heal completely. They are not nagging injuries.
It's funny how some people (not you necessarily) label a sprained ankle a sign of being injury prone when probably nearly 100% of football players will experience one at some point in their careers.

NewEra8
10-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Don't think they list juniors.... on most boards, he's the number one player entering the draft... have yet to see him out of the top 3...

Kdawg954
10-29-2006, 12:30 PM
http://www.newsok.com/article/2961310/?print=1

Part of being an every down back is running between the tackles. Peterson is just a better running back.
His injuries high ankle sprain and shoulder separation heal completely. They are not nagging injuries.
It's funny how some people (not you necessarily) label a sprained ankle a sign of being injury prone when probably nearly 100% of football players will experience one at some point in their careers.

Isn't he just a junior? We are talking about a cat who had an amazing freshman season . . . missed almost all of his sophmore season, and dealt with nagging injuries this season and is now most likely OUT for the season. I mean its not about nagging injuries, when u are playing college football and u haven't even been able to play in half of the games in your career, that is a sign of a player not being durable . . . and it only gets tuffer on the next level. I feel where u are comming from, I thought Peterson was a better NFL prospect than Bush, but u cannot say that with Peterson yet . . . he has to be able to stay healthy, something Reggie has been able to do (don't get me wrong, I know having Lendale at USC and now having Deuce in N.O was/is a great reason why he was/is fresh and healthy, but still he was healthy, and Peterson is not.)

But if both backs were fully healthy, than IMO Peterson is the better back. I will say this, whoever drafts him is getting one hell of a player, and if he can stay healthy . . . man he is gonna be special. Houston passed on Bush . . . I doubt they pass on Peterson if he is available.

PHINZONER
10-29-2006, 01:05 PM

Where did you get those #'s? Your imagination!!!!! The pre draft #'s on Moss were 4.4 and no player ever posted a 4.2 in pre draft workouts! Maybe some waste of a talent track guy, but no significant player has.

Really, look at those numbers, you would be calling Moss the fastest guy in the league and the fastest track guy in college at that time. Not happening. He does however have unmatchable acceleration in that first 10-15 yds but he has been caught from behind on several occasions!

Crowder52
10-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Where did you get those #'s? Your imagination!!!!! The pre draft #'s on Moss were 4.4 and no player ever posted a 4.2 in pre draft workouts! Maybe some waste of a talent track guy, but no significant player has.

Really, look at those numbers, you would be calling Moss the fastest guy in the league and the fastest track guy in college at that time. Not happening. He does however have unmatchable acceleration in that first 10-15 yds but he has been caught from behind on several occasions!

I agree with you, but just so you know the 4.25 number is from a workout Moss had while at FSU. Of course, this was timed by hand, which is largely unreliable. To my knowledge no one has every run in the 4.2 range electronically timed.

jlfin
10-29-2006, 01:56 PM
Isn't he just a junior? We are talking about a cat who had an amazing freshman season . . . missed almost all of his sophmore season, and dealt with nagging injuries this season and is now most likely OUT for the season. I mean its not about nagging injuries, when u are playing college football and u haven't even been able to play in half of the games in your career, that is a sign of a player not being durable . . . and it only gets tuffer on the next level. I feel where u are comming from, I thought Peterson was a better NFL prospect than Bush, but u cannot say that with Peterson yet . . . he has to be able to stay healthy, something Reggie has been able to do (don't get me wrong, I know having Lendale at USC and now having Deuce in N.O was/is a great reason why he was/is fresh and healthy, but still he was healthy, and Peterson is not.)

But if both backs were fully healthy, than IMO Peterson is the better back. I will say this, whoever drafts him is getting one hell of a player, and if he can stay healthy . . . man he is gonna be special. Houston passed on Bush . . . I doubt they pass on Peterson if he is available.

Quite frankly I would be happy with Quinn, CJ or Peterson. I recognize that running back isn't a dire need, but I just feel that when you are picking that high you need to pick the best talent. If we are picking 5-10 then Thomas would be ok.
You can never have too much talent. It gives you trade bait.

VanDolPhan
10-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Meaning I think u will be able to find a quality guy in the 2nd round at LT/OL just as good as u could in the first round with this class . . . deep class IMO.

Actually you'll find that around half of the leagues LT's came in the first round. It's close to the best bang for you buck position you can get in the top 10 for hitting on. If Calvin keeps getting hyped up it could make a trade down viable and I'd take the extra picks to rebuild the line and take a chance on a WR in the 2nd.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
10-30-2006, 09:54 AM
well, technically i'd say matt jones had better athletic ability, but he wasn't a receiver in college, so it's hard to compare the two coming out.