PDA

View Full Version : If we wind up with 1st pick

Dolfansal
10-29-2006, 12:52 AM
We might be able to make a big trade with detriot, oakland, or cleveland.
All 3 need a Qb and would probably want quinn.

Let the bidding begin.

Bill C
10-29-2006, 01:14 AM
I don't know - we might want a real franchise QB also.

gish
10-29-2006, 01:27 AM
Yea, I always think its a good idea to trade away the ability to take whatever player you want.

Speaking of giving away great oportunities. I also think it would be a good idea if we made it to the playoffs to trade that away also. We could give up our playoff spot for a pair of first rounders. How awesome would that be? I mean who want to be in the playoffs anyway. Just like, who wants the best draft pick.

My real opinion: We need the pick. The only way we trade it is for another top 3 pick and another 1st rounder, and possibly a second rounder on top of that. This would only be an option if there is a clear favorite by all the top 3 teams for the #1 pick, and it would have to be someone that Miami would want but could also afford to not take. It wouldnt work if the other teams know who we're taking and they dont want him. I dont think B. Quinn is that guy, and I dont see a guy like that in this draft at all. I see us taking the BPA. F! Detroit and Oakland.

gish
10-29-2006, 01:30 AM
P.S. It is such a discrase to this franchise to get the #1 pick. Who would have thought that after Wanny left Saban with the #2 overall selection we could possibly be looking at an even higher selection in only 2 seasons time. My god, what has this franchise become.

endorPHINS72
10-29-2006, 02:29 AM
I don't know - we might want a real franchise QB also.

This is true. We don't know if Daunte can ever be Daunte again. Until we know for certain that he can be, QB is a position of need for us.

dominizzo
10-29-2006, 02:40 AM
His Name Is Calvin Johnson!!

GT

KingCrowder
10-29-2006, 02:56 AM
Yea, I always think its a good idea to trade away the ability to take whatever player you want.

Speaking of giving away great oportunities. I also think it would be a good idea if we made it to the playoffs to trade that away also. We could give up our playoff spot for a pair of first rounders. How awesome would that be? I mean who want to be in the playoffs anyway. Just like, who wants the best draft pick.

My real opinion: We need the pick. The only way we trade it is for another top 3 pick and another 1st rounder, and possibly a second rounder on top of that. This would only be an option if there is a clear favorite by all the top 3 teams for the #1 pick, and it would have to be someone that Miami would want but could also afford to not take. It wouldnt work if the other teams know who we're taking and they dont want him. I dont think B. Quinn is that guy, and I dont see a guy like that in this draft at all. I see us taking the BPA. F! Detroit and Oakland.

This is the NFL not NBA one player does not make a championship team.

rainmaker1313
10-29-2006, 04:22 AM
we are not getting 1st pick, please , we are winning at least 5-6 games

TPD1479
10-29-2006, 08:29 AM

ok the #3 pick then...:boohoo:

zonk4ever
10-29-2006, 09:14 AM
let's see? what lame brain team will invest 60 million on potential?

PHINFREAK3675
10-29-2006, 09:16 AM
His Name Is Calvin Johnson!!

GT

yes!!!!!!!!

Crowder52
10-29-2006, 10:42 AM
This is the NFL not NBA one player does not make a championship team.

:yeahthat:

NorFlaFin
10-29-2006, 11:22 AM
If Saban picks Brady Quinn it means C-Pep is a complete and utter bust.

Brady Quinn ain't happening, on the other hand Calvin Johnson might.

footballer
10-29-2006, 11:38 AM

so what if c-pep ends up busting out.....

we would be in great standing becuz that position would be solid fopr years..

clbrazee
10-29-2006, 11:54 AM
If we pick 1st take the best QB, if there's one worth it. If its 3-5 the best player - preferably LT or LB.

jlfin
10-29-2006, 12:01 PM

Nonsense. No rookie QB would be ready to play next season. DC doesn't have to be a "complete and utter bust" to be replaced.
I think Saban and this organization want something that's better than average and if DC can't come back near 100% that's what he will be.
I can't believe how shortsighted some of the people of this site are.

gunn34
10-29-2006, 12:12 PM

:sidelol: Name 5 other teams we beat with this coaching and players.

Saban has too big an ego to pick a QB #1. That would mean his two FA QB's didn't work. He thought he won when he picked C-Pep and Joey. He would have to admit he failed. I don't think he will ever do that.

hellsapoppin
10-29-2006, 12:35 PM
P.S. It is such a discrase to this franchise to get the #1 pick. Who would have thought that after Wanny left Saban with the #2 overall selection we could possibly be looking at an even higher selection in only 2 seasons time. My god, what has this franchise become. I just don't think Miami is going to be close to the #1 pick. We will win some games this season probley at least 3-4 more befor the season is over. either by good play or just luck. I see us getting somewhere between 3rd - 7th pick in the draft.

Dolfansal
10-29-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm sure you also thought we would have been at wort 5-2 when the season started.

Who would have predicted losing to Jets, Bills, Texans, Packers?

DUB
10-29-2006, 12:42 PM
This is true. We don't know if Daunte can ever be Daunte again. Until we know for certain that he can be, QB is a position of need for us.

It is never a bad situation to have some competition and maybe send one off for a draft pick.

MrEd
10-29-2006, 12:52 PM
We might be able to make a big trade with detriot, oakland, or cleveland.
All 3 need a Qb and would probably want quinn.

Let the bidding begin.

If HOU wasn't able to trade the pick with Reggie Bush...then I don't think any team with the #1 pick would trade away their draft for Quinn, Johnson, or Thomas. Not going to happen.

If we pick #1, Johnson it is.

rick32883
10-29-2006, 01:13 PM
no qb .. we overhauled our DBs so they're going to take at least a year to get used to NFL speed .. why not go for a younger front now and train them for down the road .. and get a new OLINE with our top picks

Frayser
10-29-2006, 01:26 PM
If HOU wasn't able to trade the pick with Reggie Bush...then I don't think any team with the #1 pick would trade away their draft for Quinn, Johnson, or Thomas. Not going to happen.

If we pick #1, Johnson it is.

You forgot Adrian Peterson. I think several teams would probably be interested in trading up for him . . . and possibly Quinn.

If we pick first and don't trade down, the real question is who is worth paying top pick money. I really don't think this team needs to throw a lot of money at one guy, but if we do then I definitely think that guy needs to be an LT.

MiamiSportsFan
10-29-2006, 03:20 PM

:lol:

Dors156
10-29-2006, 03:50 PM
if we wond up with the first pick of the draft we shouldnt draft joe thomas.if you have a high pick and your the general manager of miami you want a skill postion such as a wide reciever.calvin would be our best choice because we need someone to spark the offense and a red zone threat.ever since gallery to the raiders im not crazy about drafting an oline with a pretty high pick.we need a red zone threat and calvin johnson is perfect

Dolfan_Noles
10-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Randy Moss might be available for trade from Oakland in order for them to get a QB. I know it's unrealistic, but who knows...no one could say C Pepp is nothing without Moss anymore, and he is a proven commodity, albeit considerably older than CJ.

Dors156
10-29-2006, 03:54 PM
why draft a QB if we have both daunte and harrington fighting for one spot.it doesnt make sense at all.

gillderais
10-29-2006, 06:03 PM
I doesnt matter who the QB is. Until we fix the line one way or another nobody is gonna find real success behind it. So any pick to our Oline, (LT/C) which would be a first since that happened, would be great. Protection is the word here. without it, your offensive weaponry will do you no good.

On a side note, the D is gettin old and some veteran players may wanna leave. So the age of the D is something that we need to keep an eye on.

dominizzo
10-29-2006, 09:01 PM
Like I said!!

Calvin Johnson

Roman529
10-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Like I said!!

Calvin Johnson

CJ....or we trade down for a later first and a second pick and get two starters for the price of one. :tongue:

Frayser
10-29-2006, 10:06 PM
Like I said!!

Calvin Johnson

I understand the guy seems to have a lot of talent, but I really have to question throwing top pick money at a wide receiver . . . especially when you consider just how bad our offensive line is.

There are some draft experts out there that say wide receiver is, by far, the toughest position to guage in the first round. Take a look at recent history.

2005:
Braylon Edwards - 3rd pick (jury still out)
Troy Williamson - 7th pick (jury still out)
Mike Williams - 10th pick (bust)
Matt Jones - 21st pick (work in progress)
Mark Clayton - 22nd pick (hasn't proven much)
Roddy White - 27th pick (bust so far)

2004 (probably the best WR draft ever):
Larry Fitzgerald - 3rd pick (stud)
Roy Williams - 7th pick (solid)
Reggie Williams - 9th pick (jury still out)
Lee Evans - 13th pick (solid)
Michael Jenkins - 29th pick (still has a lot to prove)
Rashaun Woods - 31st pick (bust)

2003:
Charles Rogers - 2nd pick (bust)
Andre Johnson - 3rd pick (stud)
Bryant Johnson - 17th pick (mediocre production)

2002:
Donte Stallworth - 13th pick (never developed into the star N.O. hoped for)
Ashley Lelie - 19th pick (bust)
Javon Walker - 20th pick (solid)

2001 (many, at the time, thought was a great year for WRs):
David Terrell - 8th pick (bust)
Koren Robinson - 9th pick (bust)
Rod Gardner - 15th pick (bust)
Santana Moss - 16th pick (stud)
Freddie Mitchell - 25th pick (bust)
Reggie Wayne - 30th pick (solid)

2000:
Peter Warrick - 4th pick (bust)
Plaxico Burress - 8th pick (solid)
Travis Taylor - 10th pick (bust)
Sylvester Morris - 21st pick (bust)
R. Jay Soward - 29th pick (bust)

1999:
Torry Holt - 6th pick (stud)
David Boston - 8th pick (you be the judge)
Troy Edwards - 13th pick (bust)

1998:
Kevin Dyson - 16th pick (bust)
Randy Moss - 21st pick (stud)
Marcus Nash - 30th pick (bust)

1997:
Ike Hilliard - 7th pick (solid)
Yatil Green - 15th pick (bust)
Reidel Anthony - 16th pick (bust)
Rae Curruth - 27th pick (bust)

1996:
Keyshawn Johnson - 1st pick (stud)
Terry Glenn - 7th pick (stud)
Eddie Kennison - 17th pick (bust)
Marvin Harrison - 18th pick (stud)
Eric Moulds - 24th pick (solid)

I could keep going and continue to prove my point. Lots of names above were highly touted, "can't miss" guys . . . and a lot of them missed. In the last 22 years, only one WR has been taken with the first pick.

I'm not saying I think Calvin Johnson will be a bust. I would be happy with him on our team. But the first pick is costing teams a ridiculous amount of money. We already saw last year where the team with the first pick actually passed on the "can't miss" guy to sign someone for cheaper.

I just don't think we can throw that kind of money at a WR . . . considering how volatile of a position it is relative to the draft . . . and considering the many other areas where this team needs to improve.

Desides
10-29-2006, 10:27 PM
The offensive line can be fixed in later rounds, and also with the return of McKinney and Toledo. There's no reason to draft for the offensive line in the first round.

Draft Calvin Johnson.

colmax
10-30-2006, 12:12 AM
I understand the guy seems to have a lot of talent, but I really have to question throwing top pick money at a wide receiver . . . especially when you consider just how bad our offensive line is.

There are some draft experts out there that say wide receiver is, by far, the toughest position to guage in the first round. Take a look at recent history.

2005:
Braylon Edwards - 3rd pick (jury still out)
Troy Williamson - 7th pick (jury still out)
Mike Williams - 10th pick (bust)
Matt Jones - 21st pick (work in progress)
Mark Clayton - 22nd pick (hasn't proven much)
Roddy White - 27th pick (bust so far)

2004 (probably the best WR draft ever):
Larry Fitzgerald - 3rd pick (stud)
Roy Williams - 7th pick (solid)
Reggie Williams - 9th pick (jury still out)
Lee Evans - 13th pick (solid)
Michael Jenkins - 29th pick (still has a lot to prove)
Rashaun Woods - 31st pick (bust)

2003:
Charles Rogers - 2nd pick (bust)
Andre Johnson - 3rd pick (stud)
Bryant Johnson - 17th pick (mediocre production)

2002:
Donte Stallworth - 13th pick (never developed into the star N.O. hoped for)
Ashley Lelie - 19th pick (bust)
Javon Walker - 20th pick (solid)

2001 (many, at the time, thought was a great year for WRs):
David Terrell - 8th pick (bust)
Koren Robinson - 9th pick (bust)
Rod Gardner - 15th pick (bust)
Santana Moss - 16th pick (stud)
Freddie Mitchell - 25th pick (bust)
Reggie Wayne - 30th pick (solid)

2000:
Peter Warrick - 4th pick (bust)
Plaxico Burress - 8th pick (solid)
Travis Taylor - 10th pick (bust)
Sylvester Morris - 21st pick (bust)
R. Jay Soward - 29th pick (bust)

1999:
Torry Holt - 6th pick (stud)
David Boston - 8th pick (you be the judge)
Troy Edwards - 13th pick (bust)

1998:
Kevin Dyson - 16th pick (bust)
Randy Moss - 21st pick (stud)
Marcus Nash - 30th pick (bust)

1997:
Ike Hilliard - 7th pick (solid)
Yatil Green - 15th pick (bust)
Reidel Anthony - 16th pick (bust)
Rae Curruth - 27th pick (bust)

1996:
Keyshawn Johnson - 1st pick (stud)
Terry Glenn - 7th pick (stud)
Eddie Kennison - 17th pick (bust)
Marvin Harrison - 18th pick (stud)
Eric Moulds - 24th pick (solid)

I could keep going and continue to prove my point. Lots of names above were highly touted, "can't miss" guys . . . and a lot of them missed. In the last 22 years, only one WR has been taken with the first pick.

I'm not saying I think Calvin Johnson will be a bust. I would be happy with him on our team. But the first pick is costing teams a ridiculous amount of money. We already saw last year where the team with the first pick actually passed on the "can't miss" guy to sign someone for cheaper.

I just don't think we can throw that kind of money at a WR . . . considering how volatile of a position it is relative to the draft . . . and considering the many other areas where this team needs to improve.

I'm totally with you on the WR issue. There is a fine line to walk when choosing one in the first round. First round WRs are not always the answer, especially when they command a pretty high signing bonus. ALSO, a team could have a fantastic receiver, yet have a shabby QB throwing the ball (Does the name Chambers ring a bell?). Also, there are always gems in the later rounds. Colston (3 picks from the infamous "Mr. Irrelevant" in this past draft) in New Orleans rings a bell. Hell, some of the better receivers in the league weren't 1st rounders.

IF Miami ends up with a top-3 pick, the right thing to do, IMO, is make that trade and build this team through the draft. A team can never have enough picks. And generally, 1st round offensive players usually take time to develop, so a WR or QB picked in 2007 will probably not contribute in 2007. Defensive players, on the other hand (especially LBs or D-lineman) can more likely contribute immediately. I do not know which teams will end up in the middle of the pack in the 1st round, but if one happens to desperately need that top-3, Miami should make that trade in a heartbeat and pick up a stud defensive player. The name Patrick Willis (ILB from Ole Miss) comes to mind. Someone like him could contribute immediately. I know that some would argue that an O-lineman is the way to go, but they take time to develop, also. Check Oakland's Robert Gallery. He's not doing much and was hailed as the best O-lineman to come out of the draft in years. On the other hand, look at A.J. Hawk in Green Bay. He's second on the team in tackles. We saw him first hand against Miami last weekend. The guy can flat out play.

In conclusion, if Miami gets that shot at trading down, I would think that they would take it. Of course, the draft is always a crapshoot. But IMO, LB or a D-lineman is the way to go in the 1st round next year.

Gardenhead
10-30-2006, 02:14 PM
Perhaps some of you were unaware, but we suck. We got lots of needs on offense, and our defense is getting old.

If we end up with the top pick, or even a top 3 pick, I think we should trade down. I don't advocate trading out of the top 10, but this team's got A LOT of needs.

We don't need to invest $30-40 million in one guy. If he were to bust (and yes, top 5 LTs bust, top 5 WRs bust, and top 5 QBs bust) we'd be sooooo screwed.