PDA

View Full Version : Found our kicking answer

biggtyme13
10-29-2006, 03:42 AM
Im not for wasting a pick on a kicker but Alexis Serta from Oregon State is nasty career long is 58 is accurate from 50 plus already won the groza once. Im not against takin g him in the 4th-5th range and say bye bye mare. I loved mare but now he needs to be a top 3 k to deserve that check and hes far from it.

King Felix
10-29-2006, 03:58 AM
he is still a junior..have to wait another year for him

finfanfromcsu
10-29-2006, 05:53 AM
No way. The single best kicker in college football is Mason Crosby at CU. I may hate the buffs with a passion but everytime I see Crosby I am dumbfounded at his leg strength and accuracy. If we are getting rid of Mare, we need Crosby.

Kdawg954
10-29-2006, 09:22 AM
both are great kickers who probably will go by the third round . . . . which IMO makes them out of the question (too many bigger holes, and Olindo is signed thru 2009 anywayz). Now if they are their by round 5, then u snag one of them . . . but Crosby is Mike Nugent with a bigger leg and Serta is Mike Nugent with better accuracy . . . and Mike Nugent went round 2 . . . so take that for what its worth.

DefensiveEnd#76
10-29-2006, 09:23 AM
I don't care, I don't want our Dolphins spending a draft pick in the early rounds on a freakin kicker!!!! We need o-linemen with early picks and some big play DBs and linebackers.

finfanfromcsu
10-29-2006, 09:41 AM
of course we are going to wait, but if it is late in the draft and Crosby is still there, we should take him. I like mare, but crosby is awesome.

Kdawg954
10-29-2006, 10:47 AM
of course we are going to wait, but if it is late in the draft and Crosby is still there, we should take him. I like mare, but crosby is awesome.

I doubt he will make it past the third round, but yea if he is there in round 5, i say u pull the trigger . . . especially during this rebuilding time, release or trade Olindo, and get this K some NFL experience early, so he can be ready when this team is ready to make a playoff push.

Ark139954
10-29-2006, 11:51 AM
I don't care, I don't want our Dolphins spending a draft pick in the early rounds on a freakin kicker!!!! We need o-linemen with early picks and some big play DBs and linebackers.y not dude, i wouldnt do it in the first three rounds but if we had a good kicker we would have won at least 2 of the games we lost.

biggtyme13
10-29-2006, 12:25 PM
ive never seen crosby kick but watching that usc game yesterday I saw a guy who wanted to go out ad bang that 53 yarder and had that look like hes unfazed by anythng. Croby cant have thatmuch mor leg if serta is hitting 58s in ames and 60 plu in warmups. Ill take either ofhem just not this guaranteed 1 miss a game crap b Mare. Wo cares if hes sgnd thru 09 this s he NFL NOT FOR long meaning he wont have a contract i he keeps chumping it up like this.

ChambersWI
10-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Mason Crosby is the best kicking prospect in awhile. He's light years ahead of Janikowski (first round pick), Nugent (2nd round pick, but only because he was a captain on Ohio State), and Kaeding (3rd round pick). Crosby has the strongest leg I've seen in awhile, but he will go no higher than round 3.

Serta is a great prospect too, and only a junior. I remember his Freshman season; his first game against LSU he missed 3 or 4 FGs. Hasn't missed one since.

biggtyme13
10-29-2006, 12:40 PM
Id say sign up crosby but it sounds like to rich for our blood :mad:

MustangFinFan
10-29-2006, 01:06 PM
if we manage to get two third round picks, or 2 second round picks (how, i dont know)...i wouldnt be opposed to drafting Crosby.

Kdawg954
10-29-2006, 01:19 PM
if we manage to get two third round picks, or 2 second round picks (how, i dont know)...i wouldnt be opposed to drafting Crosby.

Wow I would be . . . I mean 2 second round picks is a blessing, all this talent and all these holes . . . I mean K, tho Mare has been inconsistent, is a spot that we aren't terrible at yet. I would rather see T, G, C, DT, DE, LB, S, CB, and WR over K. Plus we still have half a season, so Mare definitely has time to improve, but if he doesn't . . . I mean u gotta start thinking about replacing him.

ChambersWI
10-29-2006, 01:32 PM

kickers should not go in the first two rounds.

Mike Nugent was proclaimed the best kicker in college football in years because he was a captain for Ohio State, and was their most respected player. He was good in college, but people ignore that he had 1 FG over 50 yards. The Jets took him in the 2nd round, and he's been meh. IMO Nate Kaeding was a better prospect.

Both Crosby and Serta are heads and shoulders above Nugent and Kaeding, but the only way I touch them is the 3rd round or later.

zackmandude63
10-29-2006, 02:05 PM
anyone would have great kick distance in the rockies.

MustangFinFan
10-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Wow I would be . . . I mean 2 second round picks is a blessing, all this talent and all these holes . . . I mean K, tho Mare has been inconsistent, is a spot that we aren't terrible at yet. I would rather see T, G, C, DT, DE, LB, S, CB, and WR over K. Plus we still have half a season, so Mare definitely has time to improve, but if he doesn't . . . I mean u gotta start thinking about replacing him.

Whoaaaa.....personally, we dont need to look at DE, DT, LB, or CB in this draft. Well...maybe one CB. But we are stacked with DE (Taylor, Bowens, Carter, Roth) and DT we have more than enough depth that (Wilkinson, Traylor, Wright, Wright, Evans, Vickerson, Zgonina), personally id like to see Vickerson line up at DE, hes just like Carter...as far as LBs go...we got Crowder, Thomas, Spragan...yea Spragan isnt special, but Saban always brings in lots of FAs, including at least ONE high-priced one...who knows if Adelius Thomas or Lange Briggs ends up here.

But we could draft Joe Thomas, and move D-Mac to LG...if Jeno doesnt heal. We moved Shelton to RG and hes doing good, even tho hes WAY oversized for an RG

MustangFinFan
10-29-2006, 02:22 PM
saban always talks about getting younger...Olindo is getting older, not that it matters because kickers last awhile...but Crosby or that dude from oregon state can be our franchise kicker..we'd have to KEEP Olindo Mare for at least a year, u know the younger kickers arent always the most accurate...so we draft Mason Crosby, and keep Olindo for a year to groom him. if we are winning by a load, let Crosby kick.

Kdawg954
10-29-2006, 02:32 PM
Whoaaaa.....personally, we dont need to look at DE, DT, LB, or CB in this draft. Well...maybe one CB. But we are stacked with DE (Taylor, Bowens, Carter, Roth) and DT we have more than enough depth that (Wilkinson, Traylor, Wright, Wright, Evans, Vickerson, Zgonina), personally id like to see Vickerson line up at DE, hes just like Carter...as far as LBs go...we got Crowder, Thomas, Spragan...yea Spragan isnt special, but Saban always brings in lots of FAs, including at least ONE high-priced one...who knows if Adelius Thomas or Lange Briggs ends up here.

But we could draft Joe Thomas, and move D-Mac to LG...if Jeno doesnt heal. We moved Shelton to RG and hes doing good, even tho hes WAY oversized for an RG

Ok u named 3 LB's lol, one is gonna be 35 next season, the other one is probably a backup on any other team. Trust me, WE Need LB help . . . badly. AT DE, same thing . . . Carter and TAylor are old vets man, and CArter might be gone after this season. I like Matt Roth but I don't see him being a playmaker like Taylor or Carter . . . he isn't Gaines Adams or Julius Peppers IMO, that can be upgraded. DT is questionable . . . This is possibly Traylors last season and Big Daddy is right behind him and Jeff Z, HOlliday is a FA . . . the rest of the guys u named have proved NOTHING . . . all potential, no performance. Don't knock grabbing a DT man (tho probably a FA istead of a draft pick, unless its a pure STUD), u don't know how these guys will pan out, all youth. CB is less of a concern for me, but I would like to see us get a young CB in here who could evolve into a playmaker for Nick in a few season . . . maybe even a shutdown CB.

RT is the only position I wouldn't worry about on this line, everywhere else we could use some bodies.

Kdawg954
10-29-2006, 02:35 PM
saban always talks about getting younger...Olindo is getting older, not that it matters because kickers last awhile...but Crosby or that dude from oregon state can be our franchise kicker..we'd have to KEEP Olindo Mare for at least a year, u know the younger kickers arent always the most accurate...so we draft Mason Crosby, and keep Olindo for a year to groom him. if we are winning by a load, let Crosby kick.

So then we have to waste a roster spot on a kicker . . . I dunno man, when u use a first day pick on a kicker, he better be able to go right away . . . which is why very few teams do that.

I like Crosby alot, but I honestly don't think K is that big of a concern. Olindo has a powerful leg, great on Touchbacks and onside kicks . . . and has missed some tuff FG's but I think its more frustration to why we are upset with him than anything else. He hasn't been nearly as bad as people are making him to be.

cheyannefan
10-29-2006, 06:48 PM
kickers should not go in the first two rounds.

Mike Nugent was proclaimed the best kicker in college football in years because he was a captain for Ohio State, and was their most respected player. He was good in college, but people ignore that he had 1 FG over 50 yards. The Jets took him in the 2nd round, and he's been meh. IMO Nate Kaeding was a better prospect.

Both Crosby and Serta are heads and shoulders above Nugent and Kaeding, but the only way I touch them is the 3rd round or later.

I don't know if your saying that Nugent had only 1 FG over 50 in college or in the pros, but I think you're saying college. If so you have that wrong. He had at least three game-winning FG's over 50 in college. Including one from 55.

Roman529
10-29-2006, 06:52 PM
anyone would have great kick distance in the rockies.

NOT TRUE!!!! Crosby kicked a 60 yarder in Miami against the U....he is way better than Serna....no contest....not being a CU homer either.

ChambersWI
10-29-2006, 08:10 PM
I don't know if your saying that Nugent had only 1 FG over 50 in college or in the pros, but I think you're saying college. If so you have that wrong. He had at least three game-winning FG's over 50 in college. Including one from 55.

maybe I'm wrong then. I remember him hitting the 55 yarder against Marshall his senior year, and the announcers were saying that he never hit one over 50 before that.

I still stand by my statement of him being overrated though. People talked as if he was god's gift to kicking

SR 7
10-29-2006, 09:40 PM
Ok u named 3 LB's lol, one is gonna be 35 next season, the other one is probably a backup on any other team. Trust me, WE Need LB help . . . badly. AT DE, same thing . . . Carter and TAylor are old vets man, and CArter might be gone after this season. I like Matt Roth but I don't see him being a playmaker like Taylor or Carter . . . he isn't Gaines Adams or Julius Peppers IMO, that can be upgraded. DT is questionable . . . This is possibly Traylors last season and Big Daddy is right behind him and Jeff Z, HOlliday is a FA . . . the rest of the guys u named have proved NOTHING . . . all potential, no performance. Don't knock grabbing a DT man (tho probably a FA istead of a draft pick, unless its a pure STUD), u don't know how these guys will pan out, all youth. CB is less of a concern for me, but I would like to see us get a young CB in here who could evolve into a playmaker for Nick in a few season . . . maybe even a shutdown CB.

RT is the only position I wouldn't worry about on this line, everywhere else we could use some bodies.

dont be surprised with 1 big time LB via FA if not, expect 2 LBS via Draft. OLB and MLB.

Kdawg954
10-29-2006, 10:39 PM
dont be surprised with 1 big time LB via FA if not, expect 2 LBS via Draft. OLB and MLB.

Man, I think it is a no brainer that we get a LB in FA and one in the draft. Its easily the position that has the least amount of depth on our team. Ideally, I could see us drafting a LB in one of the top 3 rounds . . . one in the final 4 rounds and bringing in a Briggs.