Majpain
10-29-2006, 05:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2642749

Perfect23
10-29-2006, 05:12 PM
of course

FLOUNDER
10-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Lets Go...............mountaineers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DonShula84
10-29-2006, 06:39 PM
Yep, with the 1 loss teams struggling I'd say WVU deserves its ranking.

Majpain
10-29-2006, 07:04 PM
Also Gators moved up to 4th. Call it a longshot but if WVU loses and OSU beat Michigan. I think we may see the Gators play OSU.

finswin56
10-29-2006, 07:39 PM
Also Gators moved up to 4th. Call it a longshot but if WVU loses and OSU beat Michigan. I think we may see the Gators play OSU.Not a long shot by any means. The Gators still have the SEC Championship game to play (should they win out). That will factor in on their ranking while. WV or Louisville wouldn't have to lose should the Gators win out and win the SEC convincengly

DonShula84
10-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Not a long shot by any means. The Gators still have the SEC Championship game to play (should they win out). That will factor in on their ranking while. WV or Louisville wouldn't have to lose should the Gators win out and win the SEC convincengly

You could see Louisville jump Florida with a win over WVU though and then if they win out convincing I'd think it'd be hard for Florida to jump back over them. Gotta hope Louisville beats WVU and then Louisville drops a game later in the year, which I wouldnt say is a unreasonable.

Though if you guys dominate the rest of the way out and handle Auburn in a title game it should count for something.

finswin56
10-29-2006, 09:14 PM
You could see Louisville jump Florida with a win over WVU though and then if they win out convincing I'd think it'd be hard for Florida to jump back over them. Gotta hope Louisville beats WVU and then Louisville drops a game later in the year, which I wouldnt say is a unreasonable.

Though if you guys dominate the rest of the way out and handle Auburn in a title game it should count for something.I've heard a lot voters (the vast majority, in fact) say they would vote for a one loss UF over and undefeated WV or Louisville team. Problem is, they all vote for the AP :goof:

Coral Reefer
10-29-2006, 09:17 PM
I've heard a lot voters (the vast majority, in fact) say they would vote for a one loss UF over and undefeated WV or Louisville team. Problem is, they all vote for the AP :goof:

As they should, including voting a number of other 1 loss teams from tough conferences that would be very deserving of votes over any of the Big East mirages.

FLOUNDER
10-29-2006, 09:23 PM
Just like the bigeast last season huh? "WVU will get crushed by georgia, thats all i heard. and look what happened?

Dont talk to me about the big east. The ACC and such are the confrences are the ones that need to be worried about there own teams.....WAKE FOREST ALMOST BEATING MIAMI........IN FOOTBALL????????

DonShula84
10-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Just like the bigeast last season huh? "WVU will get crushed by georgia, thats all i heard. and look what happened?

Dont talk to me about the big east. The ACC and such are the confrences are the ones that need to be worried about there own teams.....WAKE FOREST ALMOST BEATING MIAMI........IN FOOTBALL????????

Don't forget about Duke too :tongue:

Coral Reefer
10-29-2006, 09:43 PM

Funny how you guys keep referring to Miami to defend the validity of how good your teams are.
Talk about an inferiority complex!

Miami has nothing to do with this discussion and I don't see anyone defending that Miami isn't in trouble.
So what's your point?

There are a number of teams that have one loss that I feel would well deserve being voted ahead of the Big East trio that so much hype is being laid upon.

How do you even have time for this discussion anyway, should'nt you be searching for hidden Mountaineer fans for your website on a San Diego Charger or Toronto Blue Jay fansite?

DonShula84
10-29-2006, 09:46 PM
I've heard a lot voters (the vast majority, in fact) say they would vote for a one loss UF over and undefeated WV or Louisville team. Problem is, they all vote for the AP :goof:

I've argued that myself but with teams like Rutgers and Pitt being better and the Big East maybe not being as weak as I thought I'm kind fo rethinking whether it'll happen. I still think the nonconference games that WVU scheduled are a joke and that still might hurt them

finswin56
10-29-2006, 10:36 PM
I've argued that myself but with teams like Rutgers and Pitt being better and the Big East maybe not being as weak as I thought I'm kind fo rethinking whether it'll happen. I still think the nonconference games that WVU scheduled are a joke and that still might hurt them

Problem is, those teams in the Big East that WV and Louisville are using to validate themselves, haven't beaten anyone worth a damn. At best the Big East can be compared equally to the ACC relevant to overall conference talent... even then they only make the grade because of the top two programs... who haven't proven a thing to anyone this year. Sucks for Lousiville though, at least they tried to put someone on their schedule with Miami. Too bad for them UM turned out to be a turd this year.

305TillIDie
10-29-2006, 10:56 PM

Dont talk to me about the big east. The ACC and such are the confrences are the ones that need to be worried about there own teams.....WAKE FOREST ALMOST BEATING MIAMI........IN FOOTBALL????????we dont play Wake this year

we crushed Wake last year

Miami Overpowers Wake Forest 47-17 (http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/111205aaa.html)

MikeO
10-30-2006, 05:26 AM
Did you know.........out of all of the conferences (SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10, ACC, Big East....etc) the BIG EAST has the best out of conference record.

If they don't let WV or L'ville in there is no positive way to spin that .........at all. Meaning, to not have egg on their face, WV or L'ville if they run the table will be in that final game over every and any 1 loss team. And FOX and the BCS know that.

MikeO
10-30-2006, 05:37 AM
another reason why a 1 loss team won't be let in the final game over an unbeaten Big East team is......

Your gonna have a ton of 1 loss teams (Tenn, Tex, USC, Florida, Auburn, Mich/OhioSt)........how do you pick one????? And do it fair?? To avoid that controversy, and to not have egg on their face with the big east OOC record, FOX and the BCS won't pass up the Big East team.

DonShula84
10-30-2006, 06:20 AM
another reason why a 1 loss team won't be let in the final game over an unbeaten Big East team is......

Your gonna have a ton of 1 loss teams (Tenn, Tex, USC, Florida, Auburn, Mich/OhioSt)........how do you pick one????? And do it fair?? To avoid that controversy, and to not have egg on their face with the big east OOC record, FOX and the BCS won't pass up the Big East team.

I agree with that actually. I think the Big East having the best non conference record has a lot to do with the horrible non conference games they schedule though. They arent going against the best of the ACC, which isnt a strong conference to begin with, or the SEC.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
10-30-2006, 10:00 AM
if UF doesn't make it, i hope west virginia does.

FLOUNDER
10-30-2006, 10:03 AM
I ment Duke insted of Wake Forrest, sorry

finswin56
10-30-2006, 11:22 AM
I agree with that actually. I think the Big East having the best non conference record has a lot to do with the horrible non conference games they schedule though. They arent going against the best of the ACC, which isnt a strong conference to begin with, or the SEC.
Exactly. It's very easy to be misled by having the "best non-conference record". Too bad that dosen't mean a thing until you break it down and see who they were actually playing.

Alex44
10-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Its acceptable to have a one loss team in over an undefeated if the one loss team is better. West Virginia will beat Louisville IMO. But are they as good as Florida, Auburn, or even Michigan?

Bumpus
10-30-2006, 11:42 AM
Funny how you guys keep referring to Miami to defend the validity of how good your teams are.
Talk about an inferiority complex!

Miami has nothing to do with this discussion and I don't see anyone defending that Miami isn't in trouble.
So what's your point?

There are a number of teams that have one loss that I feel would well deserve being voted ahead of the Big East trio that so much hype is being laid upon.

How do you even have time for this discussion anyway, should'nt you be searching for hidden Mountaineer fans for your website on a San Diego Charger or Toronto Blue Jay fansite?
Bottom line ...

If you wanna' play for the title, DON'T LOSE!!!

Bumpus
10-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Its acceptable to have a one loss team in over an undefeated if the one loss team is better. West Virginia will beat Louisville IMO. But are they as good as Florida, Auburn, or even Michigan?
This would be a subjective assessment.

Again, if the one loss team wanted to play for the title, then they shouldn't have lost.

OSUDauby
10-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Also Gators moved up to 4th. Call it a longshot but if WVU loses and OSU beat Michigan. I think we may see the Gators play OSU.

Not a long shot at all. That is who I have in my title game at this point.
We will see that WVU is not real, nor is Louisville. People are blowing the Big East up saying they are better than what they are percieved to be, yet WVU, Louisville, and Rutgers have played NO ONE. They have played the worst teams in the nation and won.

WVU vs. Louisville will be the biggest pillow fight of the season. WVU will win, because they have an OK running back and Louisville just isn't that good. Rutgers is too far back to contend even if they win out.

A one loss Florida is way better than an undefeated WVU. And being an OSU fan, I don't want to face WVU in the NC game. Ohio State will kill them, it would be soooo boring.

rafael
10-30-2006, 12:06 PM

Again, if the one loss team wanted to play for the title, then they shouldn't have lost.

*NEWSFLASH* A large part of the BCS formula is based on subjective voting.

Alex44
10-30-2006, 12:07 PM

What if the one loss team had a far tougher schedule?

Motion
10-30-2006, 12:12 PM

This is the most asinine comment I've read on here in awhile. What team wants to lose a game? :shakeno: Try playing a tougher schedule.

finswin56
10-30-2006, 12:24 PM
This is the most asinine comment I've read on here in awhile. What team wants to lose a game? :shakeno: Try playing a tougher schedule.That post falls under the category of: Consider the Source

MikeO
10-30-2006, 01:56 PM

One example. Is it Louisville's fault that Miami stinks this year?? When they scheduled that game probalby 8 years ago miami was a force. You can't punish L'ville for that.

MikeO
10-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Look, these schedules are made out YEARS in advance. And most of the Big East teams didn't schedule a bunch of tough teams out of conference because they planned on having VT and Miami on their schedule every year. To go along with that game OOC vs Iowa, or Maryland, or...whoever. Throw in a Pitt and BC and that is a respectable schedule.

When VT and Miami jumped shipped 3 years ago, the schedules were already set. You can't punish the Big East for having weak schedules cause they had no say in who was going to jump ship and when. They were caught by surprise Any reasonable person see's this and is level headed about it and can't hold it against the big east schools like WV, Pitt...etc. It isn't like they are trying to beat the system or anything. Be shaddy about it

Motion
10-30-2006, 02:14 PM
Look, these schedules are made out YEARS in advance. And most of the Big East teams didn't schedule a bunch of tough teams out of conference because they planned on having VT and Miami on their schedule every year. To go along with that game OOC vs Iowa, or Maryland, or...whoever. Throw in a Pitt and BC and that is a respectable schedule.

When VT and Miami jumped shipped 3 years ago, the schedules were already set. You can't punish the Big East for having weak schedules cause they had no say in who was going to jump ship and when. They were caught by surprise Any reasonable person see's this and is level headed about it and can't hold it against the big east schools like WV, Pitt...etc. It isn't like they are trying to beat the system or anything. Be shaddy about it

I completely agree with what your saying but at the same time the fact is strength of schedule has to count for something whether its their fault teams moved or not. I'm not saying punish them for having a weak schedule, I'm saying reward the teams that play a much harder one. Call me a homer all you want but I'd be saying the same for any SEC team.

finswin56
10-30-2006, 02:24 PM

Well those games that the Big East teams would played against Miami and VT were left open. They didn't have to be filled by bringing in such poor teams. Louisville managed to keep UM on their schedule. I'm sure it would have been hard to convince a top team to come to WV, but they could have found a top team to travel to, or have an alternating duo with for a few years.

As Motion said, you still have to give more consideration to the teams that actually make a tough schedule.

MikeO
10-30-2006, 02:25 PM
I completely agree with what your saying but at the same time the fact is strength of schedule has to count for something whether its their fault teams moved or not. I'm not saying punish them for having a weak schedule, I'm saying reward the teams that play a much harder one. Call me a homer all you want but I'd be saying the same for any SEC team.

True. But Florida lost. Thus far 3 big east teams haven't. I mean if you don't want an unbeaten Big East team in the BCS championship game, then you should have thrown the Big East OUT of the BCS prior to the season.

Ya didn't......so now you gotta live with the fact that there is a very good chance that an unbeaten Big East team will play for it all. While there might be better 1 loss teams out there.

You don't want it to happen again next year, THROW THE BIG EAST OUT AFTER THIS YEAR!! until that happens, all of these 1 loss teams need to shut up and stop crying!

Motion
10-30-2006, 02:37 PM
True. But Florida lost. Thus far 3 big east teams haven't. I mean if you don't want an unbeaten Big East team in the BCS championship game, then you should have thrown the Big East OUT of the BCS prior to the season.

Ya didn't......so now you gotta live with the fact that there is a very good chance that an unbeaten Big East team will play for it all. While there might be better 1 loss teams out there.

You don't want it to happen again next year, THROW THE BIG EAST OUT AFTER THIS YEAR!! until that happens, all of these 1 loss teams need to shut up and stop crying!
And who's decision is that exactly???

The only 1 loss teams I see crying are Auburn and ND.

I have no complaints at this point. Florida basically controls their own destiny.

MikeO
10-30-2006, 02:44 PM

I have no complaints at this point. Florida basically controls their own destiny.

The Ohio St/Mich loser will cry. Texas will cry. The teams you mentioned will cry. USC may cry if they win out. Trust me, a bunch of teams will be crying

and how do you throw them out, every other conference will pass a hat so to speak, and buy out the contract and pay the Big East millions/billions to leave. That's how you get them out.

finswin56
10-30-2006, 02:44 PM

I have no complaints at this point. Florida basically controls their own destiny.I can't say for certain, but I believe the BCS has a contractual agreement with all participating conferences; and I'm pretty sure this isn't a one year contract.

Motion
10-30-2006, 02:47 PM
The Ohio St/Mich loser will cry. Texas will cry. The teams you mentioned will cry. USC may cry if they win out. Trust me, a bunch of teams will be crying

Any team that loses at home, regardless who its too has no excuses. As well as any team that is beaten by an unranked team. Now as for the OSU/Mich loser, unless its a nail biter that goes to the wire or OT the loser had their chance, move on. I do see what your saying though.

DonShula84
10-30-2006, 04:52 PM
One example. Is it Louisville's fault that Miami stinks this year?? When they scheduled that game probalby 8 years ago miami was a force. You can't punish L'ville for that.

I dont punish Louisville for that, that is why I give them more respect than WVU. They atleast tried to put a good team on there schedule, WVU cant use that excuse though because everyone of the non conference teams on there schedule is always bad, except maybe Maryland but that isnt enough.

ZolarZ_GoPhins
10-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Everyone is bashing WVU for the out of conference schedule. Truth is most every team has 1 non-conference game that would be considered their tough game and use it to bolster their schedule.

WVU played Maryland. Mayland has lost to only WVU and Ga Tech. They still have a chance to pull out the ACC. Right now they have a better record then Miami(who UofL played) and was a good win on WVU's schedule.

Let's look at the one loss SEC teams that are the main talking point of this thread. Their toughest out of conference opponents were
Fla - Fla. St. (they have yet to play them and Maryland just beat Fla. St)
Ten - Cal (Tenn. lost)
Ark - USC (Ark lost)
Aub - Wash St. (Aub Won)

The rest of the out of conference schedule is a total joke, just like WVU. It looks to me with the wins that the Pac-10 has the better conference and should be considered over the SEC. Any arguement about how WVU or UofL doesn't deserve a NC shot because of their out of conference schedule is a joke hasn't really looked into it.

Then comes the conference games. I'll just give you a few games to think about. These are the bottom teams in the BigEast.
Syracuse - Lost close game to Wake 20-10 ; Lost in double OT to Iowa ; Win Illinois, Wyoming, Miami(OH)
UConn - Lost to Wake Forest 24-13 ; Lost to Navy ; Win Army, URI, Indiana

Not bad for the bottom 2 schools. The BigEast has played every game well. Heck even Cincinatti played OhioSt good for a half. This conference is much better then you realize. Top to Bottom. It takes top teams in the Big10 and ACC to barely beat out the BigEast bottom 2.

The teams to notch a win against the BigEast are Navy, Wake Forest(x2), Iowa, Kansas, Ohio St, Va Tech, Mich St.

Those are the 8 loses for the BigEast. Navy and Kansas are the worst teams that beat a BigEast team. With Navy being the only team not in a BCS conference to beat a BigEast Team. That is a total of 2 losses handed to the BigEast by opponents not among the top 25 this year. Not one loss to a Mac, Wac, Conf USA, etc. (just noticed Mich St. was never ranked either, so that is 3 losses to non-ranked foes)*edit

With the conference playing well, and the top teams playing very well, the winner of the BigEast (if undefeated) would deserve the right to play in the NC game. Nuff Said.

finswin56
10-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Everyone is bashing WVU for the out of conference schedule. Truth is most every team has 1 non-conference game that would be considered their tough game and use it to bolster their schedule.

WVU played Maryland. Mayland has lost to only WVU and Ga Tech. They still have a chance to pull out the ACC. Right now they have a better record then Miami(who UofL played) and was a good win on WVU's schedule.

Let's look at the one loss SEC teams that are the main talking point of this thread. Their toughest out of conference opponents were
Fla - Fla. St. (they have yet to play them and Maryland just beat Fla. St)
Ten - Cal (Tenn. lost)
Ark - USC (Ark lost)
Aub - Wash St. (Aub Won)

The rest of the out of conference schedule is a total joke, just like WVU. It looks to me with the wins that the Pac-10 has the better conference and should be considered over the SEC. Any arguement about how WVU or UofL doesn't deserve a NC shot because of their out of conference schedule is a joke hasn't really looked into it.

Then comes the conference games. I'll just give you a few games to think about. These are the bottom teams in the BigEast.
Syracuse - Lost close game to Wake 20-10 ; Lost in double OT to Iowa ; Win Illinois, Wyoming, Miami(OH)
UConn - Lost to Wake Forest 24-13 ; Lost to Navy ; Win Army, URI, Indiana

Not bad for the bottom 2 schools. The BigEast has played every game well. Heck even Cincinatti played OhioSt good for a half. This conference is much better then you realize. Top to Bottom. It takes top teams in the Big10 and ACC to barely beat out the BigEast bottom 2.

The teams to notch a win against the BigEast are Navy, Wake Forest(x2), Iowa, Kansas, Ohio St, Va Tech, Mich St.

Those are the 8 loses for the BigEast. Navy and Kansas are the worst teams that beat a BigEast team. With Navy being the only team not in a BCS conference to beat a BigEast Team. That is a total of 2 losses handed to the BigEast by opponents not among the top 25 this year. Not one loss to a Mac, Wac, Conf USA, etc. (just noticed Mich St. was never ranked either, so that is 3 losses to non-ranked foes)*edit

With the conference playing well, and the top teams playing very well, the winner of the BigEast (if undefeated) would deserve the right to play in the NC game. Nuff Said.Tennesse won, and it wasn't even close.

The out of conference talk about the Big East teams is because their in conference foes are mostly terrible.

FLOUNDER
10-30-2006, 06:17 PM
I was looking at something that had usc's upcoming oppenents, ohio states and wvu's...

and WVU's upcoming oppnenets had a hell of a better record that both OSU and USC

OSUDauby
10-30-2006, 06:22 PM
I was looking at something that had usc's upcoming oppenents, ohio states and wvu's...

and WVU's upcoming oppnenets had a hell of a better record that both OSU and USC
DUUUUUHHH!!!
I'd hope that WVU's upcoming schedule is tough. Who have they played so far?!?!
The bulk of Ohio State's game is behind them. They have beat 3 top 25 teams so far, and their SECOND #1 vs. #2 game of the season is ahead of them. What do you expect?!?! Ohio State can't play Top 10 teams all season!!!

You WVU fans are killing me!!
I hate to bare bad news, but WVU could not go into Austin, TX and beat UT. Nor, could have they beat Iowa (at the time) when OSU went into Iowa City. Sure, Iowa has stumbled recently...BUT at the time they were hot.

WVU is SO far out of the BCS picture b/c of their schedule, or should I say lack there of. Why do you think you hear the rumors of a OSU/Michigan rematch in the BCS NC game? It's because WVU is a joke as is their schedule.

Motion
10-30-2006, 06:23 PM

:link:

I gotta see this considering USC has Oregon, Cal, and ND coming up and OSU has Michigan.

WVU has Louisville and Rutgers, basically their only decent opponents all year, and maybe Pitt.

DonShula84
10-30-2006, 06:43 PM
WVU has only played 1 team, 1, with a winning record so far. I'd hope they play a few tough games down the stretch. Though it isnt like Rutgers has played anyone either so it's hard to judge the Big East teams because it seems like they all set themselves up to have good records.

Oboy
10-30-2006, 08:20 PM
WVU has only played 1 team, 1, with a winning record so far. I'd hope they play a few tough games down the stretch. Though it isnt like Rutgers has played anyone either so it's hard to judge the Big East teams because it seems like they all set themselves up to have good records.
WOW, that kind of says it all. Come on, one team with a winning record? In college? We are not saying one top 25 team, but just one with a winning record? DS84, is that really right?

And WVU fans, you are trying to defend that? So you play two top 25 teams (one that was predicted at the beginning of the season - Rutgers has been a pleasant surprise), and only what 4 teams with a winning record all year?

That is good enough just bc you scheduled Maryland? Come on, then compare that to UF's schedule and seriously, you think an undefeated run through that schedule is better than one loss through UF's schedule?

DonShula84
10-30-2006, 08:26 PM
WOW, that kind of says it all. Come on, one team with a winning record? In college? We are not saying one top 25 team, but just one with a winning record? DS84, is that really right?

And WVU fans, you are trying to defend that? So you play two top 25 teams (one that was predicted at the beginning of the season - Rutgers has been a pleasant surprise), and only what 4 teams with a winning record all year?

That is good enough just bc you scheduled Maryland? Come on, then compare that to UF's schedule and seriously, you think an undefeated run through that schedule is better than one loss through UF's schedule?

I just looked back over the schedule and East Carolina at 4-4 is the best team they've played, record wise, other than Maryland.

WVU has some good teams coming up, but I cant take them too seriously until I see them in those games.

Coral Reefer
10-31-2006, 01:26 AM
Bottom line ...

If you wanna' play for the title, DON'T LOSE!!!

Well actually the strategy seems to be Dont play anybody worth a crap

ZolarZ_GoPhins
10-31-2006, 08:36 AM
First off can't believe I screwed up that cal-tenn game up in my previous post. Anyways on to the subject at hand.

The big problem is that most people are still bashing the BigEast conference even though they have played well as a whole this year. It is an 8 team conference that will probably send 5 teams to a bowl game. Likely with only 2 teams in the conference with a losing record ; UConn and Syracuse. I pointed out their games earlier to show that even the bottom teams in the BigEast play well and you have to be on your game every week or you could lose. It isn't like the bottom teams in the BigEast are Duke or NothWestern. They are decent teams, Syracuse played Iowa to double overtime.... I guess that matters none.

The BigEast lacks that high profile team that has been in the NC hunt for the last few decades. They lack the mystic if you will. So you look at the conference and bash it. The 'Top Schools' have their little country club and they don't want to let the scrubs from the BigEast in it. Well we are in it and we are beating down the door. Like it or not.

Guess we all have to just wait till bowl season rolls around and see who does come out on top. It's all just talkin trash till then.

Bumpus
10-31-2006, 11:17 AM
This is the most asinine comment I've read on here in awhile. What team wants to lose a game? :shakeno: Try playing a tougher schedule.

Any team that loses at home, regardless who its too has no excuses. As well as any team that is beaten by an unranked team. Now as for the OSU/Mich loser, unless its a nail biter that goes to the wire or OT the loser had their chance, move on. I do see what your saying though.
Which is it?

Bumpus
10-31-2006, 11:35 AM
First off can't believe I screwed up that cal-tenn game up in my previous post. Anyways on to the subject at hand.

The big problem is that most people are still bashing the BigEast conference even though they have played well as a whole this year. It is an 8 team conference that will probably send 5 teams to a bowl game. Likely with only 2 teams in the conference with a losing record ; UConn and Syracuse. I pointed out their games earlier to show that even the bottom teams in the BigEast play well and you have to be on your game every week or you could lose. It isn't like the bottom teams in the BigEast are Duke or NothWestern. They are decent teams, Syracuse played Iowa to double overtime.... I guess that matters none.

The BigEast lacks that high profile team that has been in the NC hunt for the last few decades. They lack the mystic if you will. So you look at the conference and bash it. The 'Top Schools' have their little country club and they don't want to let the scrubs from the BigEast in it. Well we are in it and we are beating down the door. Like it or not.

Guess we all have to just wait till bowl season rolls around and see who does come out on top. It's all just talkin trash till then.
Exactly, just like we were the friggin' joke in last year's Sugar Bowl ...

Honestly, most of the posters here act as if we are squeaking out victories against the Helen Keller Institute for Braille Research and Whatssamatta U. (Go ahead one-loss haters, insert your witty remark here) While our schedule has not been difficult as of yet ... we are blowing all of these teams out. Name me another of the "recognized powers" that would have to deal with this crap. I can hear what the analysts would be saying "While this team has a few problems in its secondary, the offense - especially the running game, far makes up for it. This is a team to contend with come January."

At this point WE control our own destiny ... hate all you want ... we're not listening.

Time to kick down the friggin' door!

Bumpus
10-31-2006, 11:37 AM

uh huh ... quick question. What was your opinion on USC?

Cuban Dave 9
10-31-2006, 11:38 AM
I just looked back over the schedule and East Carolina at 4-4 is the best team they've played, record wise, other than Maryland.

WVU has some good teams coming up, but I cant take them too seriously until I see them in those games.
UF will play them too

Cuban Dave 9
10-31-2006, 11:42 AM
Bumpus...play UL first, then talk crap...you need a resume to apply for a job, and your previous jobs suck compared to teams like UF, AUB, UTenn, ND

I like WV, I hope they have a chance to face a worthy opponent, but until then, UF's argument is better

Motion
10-31-2006, 11:45 AM
Which is it?
What do you mean which is it? Those two posts have nothing to do with each other.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
10-31-2006, 11:48 AM
sigh i kinda wish UF wasn't in the middle of all of this, because i really want to see WVU/louisville play for the national title. or at least i want michigan and OSU to both lose somehow and have a UF vs. WVU/Louisville title game. :yes:

Coral Reefer
10-31-2006, 01:09 PM
My question is, why isn't anyone hyping Boise St. to be in the Natl. Championship game? Same deal. You think undefeated teams should play for the title regardless of the cake walk schedules then Boise should be getting plenty of praise as well.

Do any of you truly believe the rankings should be

1) WV
2) Louisville
3) Rutgers
4) Boise State

Are those really the 4 strongest teams in college football?

Bumpus
10-31-2006, 01:17 PM
Bumpus...play UL first, then talk crap...you need a resume to apply for a job, and your previous jobs suck compared to teams like UF, AUB, UTenn, ND

I like WV, I hope they have a chance to face a worthy opponent, but until then, UF's argument is better
Point taken.

I just get sick and tired of people bashing the 'Eers.

Bumpus
10-31-2006, 01:24 PM
What do you mean which is it? Those two posts have nothing to do with each other.
Well, since you asked...

First you imply that Florida should get a shot at the national championship game ahead of an undefeated WVU because it has played a tougher schedule.

Then, you say that the loser (of the upcoming Ohio State/Michigan game) had their chance, and they should simply move on.

... see what I'm getting at?

MikeO
10-31-2006, 01:31 PM

Oh my god, its like beating your head into a wall.

These schedules are made years in advance. When Miami, VT and BC all left....it isn't like you can go out and just add other top teams to replace them!!!! The Big East teams were left hanging.

ONE EXAMPLE........So, your telling me if a team like Syracuse 6 or 7 years ago had a schedule planned for this year of Miami, VT, BC, Iowa, Pitt, WV, Illnois, Wake Forest.......that its a bad schedule?? But take away VT, MIami, and BC and of course the schedule looks like crap. Then throw in that Illnois stinks now something nobody has any control over.....and you end up with what you got. You can't say the Big East is "trying to set themsleves up to have a good record". The conference was raided and left every team in a huge hole for about the next 5+ years or so. These schedules are set years, yes years in advance!!

Motion
10-31-2006, 01:34 PM
Well, since you asked...

First you imply that Florida should get a shot at the national championship game ahead of an undefeated WVU because it has played a tougher schedule.

Then, you say that the loser (of the upcoming Ohio State/Michigan game) had their chance, and they should simply move on.

... see what I'm getting at?

I don't think you see what I'm getting at. You left out the key part. I said...

Now as for the OSU/Mich loser, unless its a nail biter that goes to the wire or OT the loser had their chance, move on

Oboy
10-31-2006, 04:57 PM
uh huh ... quick question. What was your opinion on USC?
When this year?

Why do you say what "was" my opinion? Has it changed?

Nice redirect of the point that WV just has not played many quality teams. USC has. They have squeaked by in quite a few of them, but still won. So they are a good team. What is your point?

DonShula84
10-31-2006, 05:01 PM
These schedules are made years in advance

Yes, but follow along with me. BC/Miami/VT leaving didnt force Big East teams to schedule Marshall, Eastern Washington, Temple, Middle Tenn, Howard, Ohio, Citadel etc etc. They set that up themselves. And even if you make the schedule 100 years in advance you know for a fact that a hundred years from that date those teams are still going to suck. They took those 3 good teams away like you said, but they added 3 complete cubcakes. You give them a pass for that, have fun and enjoy banging your head on the wall.

Oboy
10-31-2006, 05:01 PM
Oh my god, its like beating your head into a wall.

These schedules are made years in advance. When Miami, VT and BC all left....it isn't like you can go out and just add other top teams to replace them!!!! The Big East teams were left hanging.

ONE EXAMPLE........So, your telling me if a team like Syracuse 6 or 7 years ago had a schedule planned for this year of Miami, VT, BC, Iowa, Pitt, WV, Illnois, Wake Forest.......that its a bad schedule?? But take away VT, MIami, and BC and of course the schedule looks like crap. Then throw in that Illnois stinks now something nobody has any control over.....and you end up with what you got. You can't say the Big East is "trying to set themsleves up to have a good record". The conference was raided and left every team in a huge hole for about the next 5+ years or so. These schedules are set years, yes years in advance!!
Yes, I agree the schedules are made years in advance. However, you do have to fill those games once the teams leave. WHO you fill them with are your choice. I give Louisville props for keeping UM on their schedule. Who did WVU add? That is the only flaw in your logic. GRANTED, some teams' schedules won't line up with yours, but I still think they could have added some teams that would be decent. At least .500!

Oboy
10-31-2006, 05:02 PM
Yes, but follow along with me. BC/Miami/VT leaving didnt force Big East teams to schedule Marshall, Eastern Washington, Temple, Middle Tenn, Howard, Ohio, Citadel etc etc. They set that up themselves. And even if you make the schedule 100 years in advance you know for a fact that a hundred years from that date those teams are still going to suck. They took those 3 good teams away like you said, but they added 3 complete cubcakes. You give them a pass for that, have fun and enjoy banging your head on the wall.
LOL, beat me to it DS84!

Pennington's Rocket Arm
10-31-2006, 08:16 PM
but no quality team would EVER schedule louisville or west virginia, either.

finswin56
10-31-2006, 09:37 PM
but no quality team would EVER schedule louisville or west virginia, either.:confused: Am I being dense and missed the :rolleyes: in your post?
Because Miami kept Louisville on their schedule, and it wasn't need going into the ACC.
Besides, USC, Texas, OSU, ND (just off the top of my head) don't seem to be ducking anyone. There are talented teams out there. WV just needs to be willing to do a home and away series with someone bowl eligible.

DonShula84
10-31-2006, 09:39 PM

Some top teams may not want to play them, but add a lower lvl SEC, ACC or PAC 10 team. You could get away with adding 2nd tier teams and not make your schedule appear as weak as it is.

FLOUNDER
10-31-2006, 09:46 PM
Nice redirect of the point that WV just has not played many quality teams. USC has. They have squeaked by in quite a few of them, but still won. So they are a good team. What is your point?

USC in my opioion was living off hype in the years past. They should have won most of those games easily. And who do they lose to? Oregon State...So how could you possibly say USC deserves to be up there and WVU dont. We didnt "SQUEAK" by any opponents, i belive the closest was 10 down at ECU. Slaton had a hurt wrist, and the heat down there seemed to cause cramping in WVU's players

Coral Reefer
11-01-2006, 12:25 AM
and the heat down there seemed to cause cramping in WVU's players

:sidelol:

Classic!

I'm pretty sure that cramping is one of the variables used in the BCS formula already. If not, it sure should be..... :sidelol:

Un.Be.Lievable!

Coral Reefer
11-01-2006, 12:28 AM

Sarcasm?

If not others have already given very well put answers as to why this post should have been posted as sarcasm.

This is just an excuse plain and simple.

MikeO
11-01-2006, 02:07 AM
They took those 3 good teams away like you said, but they added 3 complete cubcakes. You give them a pass for that, have fun and enjoy banging your head on the wall.

First off everyone plays a cupcake or 2. Not ONLY the big east teams

Second, you just don't replace the quality of teams they lost. You can't go out and schedule a FSU, Florida, Nebraska...etc on 1 years notice or 2 years notice.

MikeO
11-01-2006, 02:12 AM
Bottom line is, WV or L'ville will go to a BCS bowl game again this year. And one of those 2 will need to win that game (like last year with Georgia) and then all of the Big East bashers will have nothing to hang their hat on.

The Big East football wise was a conference put together overnight and it will take time to build. You don't just lose a Miami, VT, and BC and expect everything to stay the same. The scheduling is/was a mess for the teams left behind (pitt, su, rutgers, and wv). It's going to take those teams years to recover and put together a quality schedule. It isn't like those schools can pick up the phone and get a top tier or 2nd tier program to play them on 1 or 2 years short notice. It doesnt' work that way!!!! And anyone who is naive enough to think so really needs to brush up on their college footbal knowledge.

MikeO
11-01-2006, 02:17 AM
:confused: Am I being dense and missed the :rolleyes: in your post?
Because Miami kept Louisville on their schedule, and it wasn't need going into the ACC.
Besides, USC, Texas, OSU, ND (just off the top of my head) don't seem to be ducking anyone. There are talented teams out there. WV just needs to be willing to do a home and away series with someone bowl eligible.

1) ND isn't tied to a conference to even have them in this debate is laughable. Of course they don't duck anyone, because they are a made for tv program. If they don't play "sexy" teams they don't get the TV deal. And ND does duck 1 team. BC. Once BC started beating them year and and year out ND ducked out of that series and got them off the schedule.

2) WV will do home and aways, but probably the first opening for any home and away is 2010 or 2011 if they started talking TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!! When the 2006 schedule was made probably in 1998 or so, they thought a schedule of Miami, VT, Syracuse, BC, Maryland, and Pittsburgh was good enough. And during that time frame it was. Now, come 2004 Syracuse fell off the map. BC, VT, Miami are gone. WV can do nothing about that.

And maybe it keeps them out of the final game, but don't say they are ducking people. Or they won't play anyone. Because that is just wrong on every level.

DonShula84
11-01-2006, 04:44 AM

Second, you just don't replace the quality of teams they lost. You can't go out and schedule a FSU, Florida, Nebraska...etc on 1 years notice or 2 years notice.

I agree everyone has cupcakes and I agree you probably couldnt add a team of the same quality that they lost. But I find it hard to believe that they couldnt find someone better than Citadel or Eastern Washington to fill the spots. If they tried and couldnt then I'm wrong and it isnt their fault, but I just find it hard to believe.

DonShula84
11-01-2006, 04:45 AM
1) ND isn't tied to a conference to even have them in this debate is laughable. Of course they don't duck anyone, because they are a made for tv program. If they don't play "sexy" teams they don't get the TV deal. And ND does duck 1 team. BC. Once BC started beating them year and and year out ND ducked out of that series and got them off the schedule.

BC is back on the schedule next year or the year after actually :) Pitt is on our schedule also for '08

I just saw WVU added Auburn to it's schedule for the next couple years, that's a game I'd like to see.

And Louisville will play ND in 09 or 10 depending on ND's availability, also a game I'd like to see :)

ZolarZ_GoPhins
11-01-2006, 07:47 AM
WVU didn't just add Auburn to it's schedule it has been there. We did a deal with the SEC for 1 home 1 away. I am pretty sure we didn't pick what teams we play. They set us up with Miss St first then Auburn. We wanted to play some SEC schools since we do alot of recruiting form that area. After the 2 years with Auburn we get Mich St then Fla St.

Next MikeO is right on track about the scheduling issues. We had to fill the spot with Eastern Washington only a couple weeks before the season started. We had Buffalo scheduled and they bailed on us. Not like Buffalo is a good team but just goes to show how difficult it can be just to get a 1A team to fill the spot.

If WVU wanted to pimp themselves out like alot of the lower schools do to make money then they could get better schools to pick them up. Problem is WVU isn't doing anything less then a 1 for 1 deal. That is the problem. Finding a school that has 2 years free and is willing to do a 1 for 1 with us isn't easy. Alot of folks in this thread seem to think that WVU has all these schools calling up and begging us to play them when that is by far not the case.

The WVU athletic director and Coach Rod aren't huddled away trying to find the weakest schools to schedule so that we have a good record. It is simple; we want 6-7 home games and we want to play schools in the area we recruit. I doubt anything comes along to help out our schedule next year but starting in 2008 we will have 1 tough matchup out of conference per year like most other schools do.

You wanna talk about ducking competition look at who has dropped WVU from their schedule. Maryland will not play us anymore even though we have played like 50 years. VT could have easily stayed on our schedule, we have played them even longer, but they chose to take us off.

Another problem is the BigEast is only 8 teams. That gives us 5 non-conference games. Most teams have 4, except the Pac-10 that used the extra game to schedule another conference game. I think at some point the BigEast will add another football team at least I hope so. Maybe they are leaving it open in the hopes that ND might jump in and play football in the conference as well. I doubt it would ever happen but that would really help out the conference.

If you don't think an undefeated BigEast team deserves a NC shot then that is your opinion. Another thing to note is UofL and WVU have only played 7 games so far this year 5 to go. You are comparing their record to teams that have played 8-9 games already. Lets see how the Reg season plays out then we can argue who deserves what, till then it is pretty much a mute point.

OSUDauby
11-01-2006, 09:49 AM

Yeah, but the entire Big East is a cupcake. So, when your out of conference schedule is full of cupcakes too, there is very little strerngth of schedule there.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Sarcasm?

If not others have already given very well put answers as to why this post should have been posted as sarcasm.

This is just an excuse plain and simple.
okie dokie. i'm not making excuses. i think all this schedule talk about "who plays the weaker/stronger schedule" crap gets old, because there's never a conclusion, it just expands more and more, next thing ya know, you have texas fans telling notre dame they suck because "rice would kick stanford's *** any day of the week! TEXAS IS BETTER THAN NOTRE DAME!!"

watch the teams play. look at the talent. figure it out yourself.

Stitches
11-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Yeah, but the entire Big East is a cupcake. So, when your out of conference schedule is full of cupcakes too, there is very little strerngth of schedule there.

The Big Ten ain't exactly stellar this year. There are two very good teams(OSU, Mich), 3 above average teams(PSU, Wisconsin, Iowa), and the rest are average or worse.

I'd take WV or Louisville over any of the Big Ten this year(at least a coin flip) except OSU and Mich. And I would take(or coin flip) Rutgers or Pitt against over half the Big Ten.

MikeO
11-01-2006, 10:52 AM

but none of thsoe schools knew VT, Miami,a and BC would be gone and S.Florida, Cincy, and L'ville would replace them years ago when the schedules are made! :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:

MikeO
11-01-2006, 10:54 AM
I agree everyone has cupcakes and I agree you probably couldnt add a team of the same quality that they lost. But I find it hard to believe that they couldnt find someone better than Citadel or Eastern Washington to fill the spots. If they tried and couldnt then I'm wrong and it isnt their fault, but I just find it hard to believe.

Not everyone is ND who can give out a $1 mill pay day per game and guarntee national TV for every game.

Being a ND fan I think your a little out of touch with the plight of the majority of the teams out there.

MikeO
11-01-2006, 10:56 AM
bottom line.......this debate is going in circles.

If WV (or L'ville) ends up playing OSU/Mich in that final game and wins, the whole "Big East is weak" thing will never be brought up again.

End of story!!

Stitches
11-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Not everyone is ND who can give out a $1 mill pay day per game and guarntee national TV for every game.

Being a ND fan I think your a little out of touch with the plight of the majority of the teams out there.

Yea, not that NC State is really good this season, but I bet when they scheduled thier game against Akron, they figured it be an easy W.

I just mean, it's hard for mid-majors to schedule even lower tier big conference teams(outside of conference agreements), because if you lose to the mid-major it's viewed as a major flop.

finswin56
11-01-2006, 11:10 AM
1) ND isn't tied to a conference to even have them in this debate is laughable. Of course they don't duck anyone, because they are a made for tv program. If they don't play "sexy" teams they don't get the TV deal. And ND does duck 1 team. BC. Once BC started beating them year and and year out ND ducked out of that series and got them off the schedule./quote]
You misunderstood my point. My point wasn't to say look at those teams who schedule anyone. My point was that it looks like those teams are always available for competition. If my point HAD been in reference to your misinterpretation, then I was ask why you ignored all the other teams that don't duck competition, and singled out one exception?

[QUOTE]
2) WV will do home and aways, but probably the first opening for any home and away is 2010 or 2011 if they started talking TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!! When the 2006 schedule was made probably in 1998 or so, they thought a schedule of Miami, VT, Syracuse, BC, Maryland, and Pittsburgh was good enough. And during that time frame it was. Now, come 2004 Syracuse fell off the map. BC, VT, Miami are gone. WV can do nothing about that.
This entire point is moot.
Louisville, found a way to keep UM on their schedule. They didn't have any more notice about the departing Big East teams than WV. If Louisville had enough time to schedule the U, then WVU had plenty of time to schedule someone respectable. I don't know how you can beat that drum so confidently when evidence that directly contradicts your theory stares you right in the face. That, my friend, is laughable.

And maybe it keeps them out of the final game, but don't say they are ducking people. Or they won't play anyone. Because that is just wrong on every level.
MAYBE they didn't duck anyone, but one thing is certain. West Virginia University did NOT succeed in getting their big time program a respectable schedule. The onus is on them.

MikeO
11-01-2006, 11:50 AM
This entire point is moot.
Louisville, found a way to keep UM on their schedule. They didn't have any more notice about the departing Big East teams than WV. If Louisville had enough time to schedule the U, then WVU had plenty of time to schedule someone respectable. I don't know how you can beat that drum so confidently when evidence that directly contradicts your theory stares you right in the face. That, my friend, is laughable.

Louisville WASN'T in the Big East!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! L'ville only got in once those other teams left.

L'ville scheduled Miami when they were in C-USA years ago!!!!!!:shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: You don't even know the facts of what you are talking about!!!!!

DBoston80
11-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Louisville WASN'T in the Big East!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! L'ville only got in once those other teams left.

L'ville scheduled Miami when they were in C-USA years ago!!!!!!:shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: You don't even know the facts of what you are talking about!!!!!

Hey Mike..I love Louisville at home vs WV....any thoughts?

MikeO
11-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Hey Mike..I love Louisville at home vs WV....any thoughts?

WV is the better team in my opinion. L'ville has been hanging on in a lot of these games of late (much like USC was) and that might catch up with them. I think WV wins but it will be close.

I wouldn't bet the game though I don't like the line on it.

Cuban Dave 9
11-01-2006, 12:10 PM

Yeah fins...I'd hate to tell you, but he's got a point

finswin56
11-01-2006, 12:15 PM

:o I sincerely apologize. Nothing more humbling then sticking your foot in your mouth. Don't know why my head was up my ***, but seemed to be firmly planted there.

MikeO
11-01-2006, 12:18 PM
:o I sincerely apologize. Nothing more humbling then sticking your foot in your mouth. Don't know why my head was up my ***, but seemed to be firmly planted there.

No problem. You were man enough to come back and take your medicine. :D

DBoston80
11-01-2006, 12:23 PM
WV is the better team in my opinion. L'ville has been hanging on in a lot of these games of late (much like USC was) and that might catch up with them. I think WV wins but it will be close.

I wouldn't bet the game though I don't like the line on it.

Yea its for sure a toss up..I always lay something for entertainment value....either way its going to be a great game ecspecially for a Thursday night.

OSUDauby
11-01-2006, 01:34 PM
The Big Ten ain't exactly stellar this year. There are two very good teams(OSU, Mich), 3 above average teams(PSU, Wisconsin, Iowa), and the rest are average or worse.

I'd take WV or Louisville over any of the Big Ten this year(at least a coin flip) except OSU and Mich. And I would take(or coin flip) Rutgers or Pitt against over half the Big Ten.
You have no idea what you are talking about. The Big East's BEST team has played ONE...yes just ONE team with a record over .500. I'll say that again in case you missed it. West Virginia has played only one team, Maryland with a winning record. But, sure....let's say that they are SO good and the Big East is great, yada, yada, yada...
I'm not buying it.

WVU will beat Louisville and will most lkely go undefeated throughout the regular season. The will play Ohio State in the BCS Championship bowl and Ohio State will have the 2nd string team in midway through the 3rd quarter.

1 loss Florida, Aurburn, Tenn, Texas, Cal and maybe even Notre Dame are better than anything that will come out of the Big East aka...the Big Easy.

As for Rutgers...they will lose 2 games this season, go to a bowl game playing an out of conference opponet and get beat, dropping them from the Top 25.

Louisville is also over ranked, due to lack of schedule strength. It's not all their fault as they had a crappy Miami team they thought would have been better. But, if the Miami team was better, Louisville would have lost most likely.

Stitches
11-01-2006, 02:16 PM
You have no idea what you are talking about. The Big East's BEST team has played ONE...yes just ONE team with a record over .500. I'll say that again in case you missed it. West Virginia has played only one team, Maryland with a winning record. But, sure....let's say that they are SO good and the Big East is great, yada, yada, yada...
I'm not buying it.

WVU will beat Louisville and will most lkely go undefeated throughout the regular season. The will play Ohio State in the BCS Championship bowl and Ohio State will have the 2nd string team in midway through the 3rd quarter.

1 loss Florida, Aurburn, Tenn, Texas, Cal and maybe even Notre Dame are better than anything that will come out of the Big East aka...the Big Easy.

As for Rutgers...they will lose 2 games this season, go to a bowl game playing an out of conference opponet and get beat, dropping them from the Top 25.

Louisville is also over ranked, due to lack of schedule strength. It's not all their fault as they had a crappy Miami team they thought would have been better. But, if the Miami team was better, Louisville would have lost most likely.

I have no idea what I'm talking about because I feel this is a lackluster year for the Big Ten(since they only have 2 really good teams)?

And just because some Big East teams haven't played hardly anyone over .500 doesn't mean they would lose. After all 3 of the teams I listed are undefeated(or have one loss) after all. So I guess since I think WV or Louisville has the talent and execution to beat any Big Ten team(other than Michigan and OSU) I have no clue about anything(and I'm a penn state fan by the way)?

And I like how you list Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, Cal, Notre Dame, and Texas(all top 15 teams) as being better than Big East teams(like they aren't better than 100 other teams in the country, or aren't top teams in thier own conference). But how would any of these teams do against Big Ten teams not named Michigan or Ohio State? Which were the teams I was talking about. I personally think WV or Louisville(who I think is the best Big East team even without Bush) vs any of the teams you mention would be a good game(again, a coin flip IMO).

But I guess I'm not allowed to have an opinion since I think the Big Ten isn't that good this season, when compared to years past. :shakeno:

MikeO
11-01-2006, 02:31 PM
WV is playing the same schedule this year as they played last year pretty much.

And come Sugar Bowl time they beat up on Georgia in Georgia. So, this weak schedule meaning they can't beat anyone worth anything logic makes no sense.

If you want to hold the opinion WV won't beat "team X" because they aren't as good. That is fine. Saying htey won't beat them because they play a weak schedule though makes no sense!!

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-01-2006, 02:50 PM
does anyone watch the games?? it's so ridiculously ignorant just to say louisville would lose to anyone because of their schedule. or any team would win because of their schedule. how bout you watch the team you're talking about play on the field and make an opinion.

OSUDauby
11-01-2006, 03:22 PM
I have no idea what I'm talking about because I feel this is a lackluster year for the Big Ten(since they only have 2 really good teams)?

And just because some Big East teams haven't played hardly anyone over .500 doesn't mean they would lose. After all 3 of the teams I listed are undefeated(or have one loss) after all. So I guess since I think WV or Louisville has the talent and execution to beat any Big Ten team(other than Michigan and OSU) I have no clue about anything(and I'm a penn state fan by the way)?

You don't know what you are talking about because you fail to mention Wisconsin in ANY post. They are a one loss team who has only been beat by the #2 in the country, Michigan. Not to mention that their defense is better than that of WVU or Louisville. And also not to mention that they have a RB who is getting more yards per game than Slatons (The Big East #1 RB).

Even in a "down" year, the Big 10 is far better and more competative than the Big East, it's that simple. If teams like WVU, Louisville, Rutgers and the rest of the Big East wants respect, they have to EARN it. And they can EARN that respect by playing out of conference games worth while. (I.E.-Playing teams like Ohio State, Texas, Michigan, Florida, Aurburn, etc, etc) Until then Big East teams will be either A.) watching THE BIG GAME on TV rather than the sidelines or B.) Caught up in controversy like they are now. It's pretty simple really.

OSUDauby
11-01-2006, 03:24 PM
WV is playing the same schedule this year as they played last year pretty much.

And come Sugar Bowl time they beat up on Georgia in Georgia. So, this weak schedule meaning they can't beat anyone worth anything logic makes no sense.

If you want to hold the opinion WV won't beat "team X" because they aren't as good. That is fine. Saying htey won't beat them because they play a weak schedule though makes no sense!!
Umm, Georgia was #10 in the nation. Not exactly the "National Championship" team that WVU is looking to play come Jan. 8th. 2007. Not to mention it was a 2-loss Georgia BEFORE the game.

Stitches
11-01-2006, 03:31 PM
You don't know what you are talking about because you fail to mention Wisconsin in ANY post. They are a one loss team who has only been beat by the #2 in the country, Michigan. Not to mention that their defense is better than that of WVU or Louisville. And also not to mention that they have a RB who is getting more yards per game than Slatons (The Big East #1 RB).

Even in a "down" year, the Big 10 is far better and more competative than the Big East, it's that simple. If teams like WVU, Louisville, Rutgers and the rest of the Big East wants respect, they have to EARN it. And they can EARN that respect by playing out of conference games worth while. (I.E.-Playing teams like Ohio State, Texas, Michigan, Florida, Aurburn, etc, etc) Until then Big East teams will be either A.) watching THE BIG GAME on TV rather than the sidelines or B.) Caught up in controversy like they are now. It's pretty simple really.

Go back to post #80, I mention Wisconsin. And, I agree Wisconsin's D is better than WV, but I don't know if it's better than Louisville. Louisville's D is pretty darn good.

And ok, the Big 10 may be better and more competetive overall than the Big East, I never said it wasn't. I said the top 2 teams in the Big East could probably take out the bottom 9 teams in the Big Ten(and if not, it'd be damn close). Then I said Rutgers and Pitt could probably take out the bottom 6 teams in the Big Ten. I didn't mention once that the Big East was a better conference than the Big Ten. I've said on here before that the SEC, Big Ten, and Big XII are easily the best and hardest conferences overall in college football. Does that mean the conference can't have a weak season from time to time? No.

But appearently to you if you aren't in one of the Big 3 or the Pac-10(at least if you are a team from te big east), than you must automatically be an inferior team.

OSUDauby
11-01-2006, 03:56 PM
But appearently to you if you aren't in one of the Big 3 or the Pac-10(at least if you are a team from te big east), than you must automatically be an inferior team.

Umm, there is nothing that "apparent" about that thought. It's pretty much true. I mean, you hate to have to generalize, but it's not always that far off base either.

DonShula84
11-01-2006, 05:22 PM
For the record, I dont think WVU and Louisville are average teams looking good because they play scrubs. Both teams, especially WVU, have a shot at beating any team in the country imo. The schedule bugs me because even good teams could lose a game during the regular season, and I like to see teams get challenged. I love that OSU and Texas put it all on the line early in the season by playing each other. More schools should do that imo. With Rutgers and Pitt being respectable though and WVU and Louisville playing each other they have some challenges coming up I just wish they had some out of conference challenges. Though MikeO has made good arguments in defense of why that couldnt happen.

Stitches
11-01-2006, 05:29 PM
For the record, I dont think WVU and Louisville are average teams looking good because they play scrubs. Both teams, especially WVU, have a shot at beating any team in the country imo. The schedule bugs me because even good teams could lose a game during the regular season, and I like to see teams get challenged. I love that OSU and Texas put it all on the line early in the season by playing each other. More schools should do that imo. With Rutgers and Pitt being respectable though and WVU and Louisville playing each other they have some challenges coming up I just wish they had some out of conference challenges. Though MikeO has made good arguments in defense of why that couldnt happen.

That's what I was getting at(except I like Lousville more).

OSUDauby
11-01-2006, 05:48 PM
I do not disagree with what either of you say. Sure, WVU, Louisville, Rutgers, Temple, etc..could beat any team on any given day. BUT, how can you like what you see when you watch WVU playing no one then complain about not getting the respect or attention that they aspire to have.

The BCS really messed up when they took the SOS out of the equation. That is what would have made teams from the Big East consider playing better competition througout the season.

ZolarZ_GoPhins
11-01-2006, 05:49 PM
I'm not buying it.

That team has also only played 7 games. WVU has 5 gams left all with BigEast teams with a winning record. Maryland has played well this year too. Why does WVU get no credit for beating them, but UofL gets all the props for playing Miami. Florida's best out of conference game is Fla St. Maryland right now is better then both those teams and has a better chance of playing in the ACC championship game.

WVU is not guarenteed any of that. They have a tough game Thur, I am confident they will win but that game still has to be played. If after that they do finish the season undefeated then they have to be ranked number 2 in the BCS to play Ohio St. I think they would, given their current ranking and teams they have left on the schedule. IF all that happens and they do play Ohio St. I guarentee you that Ohio St better pack their lunch and be ready to play.

I doubt Ohio St has the lack of respect for WVU that you do. It is easy to talk crap when your team is on top but it is alot more fun to revel in your destruction when you come crashing down.

We will see come bowl time. Talk all you want this will get played out at the end of the year. Then we will see who is the Easy one.

I predict Wisconsin will lose 2 games this year go to a bowl game play an out of school conference opponent and lose. dropping them from the top 25. Wow this is fun got any more predictions?

Ohh yeah the dreaded if only the losing team was better arguement. Dang if only Cincinatti was better they might have beat Ohio St the whole game and not just played the first half. Give me a break.

FLOUNDER
11-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Here's ESPN's take on tommorow nights game

West Virginia vs. Louisville Defense This is a classic match up of strength-versus-strength, as the nation's top-ranked rushing attack attempts to penetrate the eighth-ranked run defense. West Virginia QB Pat White and RB Steve Slaton make up college football's most lethal backfield tandem. Together, they account for 239.7 of the team's 319 rushing yards per game. White is a slippery runner with good open-field elusiveness and Slaton possesses good power for his size to go along with rare acceleration in space. They are both aided by a West Virginia offensive line that has become the benchmark for efficiency in college football today. The unit makes up for its overall lack of size with exceptional technique, quickness and effort. The interior trio of OC Dan Mozes and guards Jeremy Sheffey and Greg Isdaner are the strength of this unit, which is important considering how disruptive the massive interior tandem of Amobi Okoye and Willie Williams can be versus the run. MLB Nate Harris was demoted two games ago for his poor play. His replacement, Lamar Myles, is a budding star, but the 215-pound sophomore can be exposed for his lack of size and inexperience in this game. The rest of the Cardinals' linebackers are also undersized, which means they'll need to be protected in order to make plays from sideline-to-sideline versus the run.

Rich Rodriguez's offensive scheme is predicated on spreading opponents out and using great blocking angles and technique to generate creases in the running game. If his offensive line proves capable of overcoming a distinct size advantage inside versus Okoye (305 pounds) and Williams (300 pounds), Louisville's smallish trio of linebackers (Myles, WLB Preston Smith and SLB Malik Jackson) should be effectively neutralized.

The Mountaineers are rarely forced into obvious throwing situations, but White has proven capable of beating opponents through the air when necessary. White's accuracy is less than ideal, but he does throw well on the run and shows good touch on the deep ball. The biggest key for the Cardinals' defense is to load up with eight- and nine-man fronts versus the run without leaving themselves vulnerable to the deep ball. That means DC's Gavin Smart and William Gay will be under lots of pressure when left alone in man-to-man coverage versus speedy receivers Darius Reynaud and Brandon Myles. Reynaud leads the team with 25 receptions and is extremely dangerous after the catch. Myles also does a fine job as a route runner and is effective catching the ball in traffic. The most recent receiver to provide some big plays is Rayshawn Bolden, who is averaging 21.2 yards on just five receptions. The Cardinals cannot afford to play much nickel personnel with five defensive backs on the field, so expect the Mountaineers to target Bolden down the seams from the slot position when they see a safety locked on him. A few big receptions from the trio of Reynaud, Myles and Bolden could ultimately prove to be backbreaking for Louisville in this game.

Louisville Offense vs. West Virginia Defense QB Brian Brohm is the biggest X-factor in Thursday night's game. When he is in full form, few passers in the nation are as efficient and accurate as Brohm. However, the 6-foot-4, 224-pound junior has not found his rhythm since returning from a thumb injury that sidelined him for two games earlier this season. Louisville has averaged just 25.5 points in two past two games with Brohm throwing two interceptions compared to just one touchdown. In contrast, the team was averaging 44 points in the previous five games with the quarterbacks (Brohm and Hunter Cantwell) tossing eight touchdowns and just three interceptions. Some statistics can be deceiving, but those are difficult to ignore.

Meanwhile, Louisville has been forced to show more dedication to the running game. The good news is that RB Kolby Smith is coming off a career game with 165 yards and two touchdowns versus Syracuse. Smith is a punishing north-south runner at 215 pounds and shows straight-line some burst in the open field. The bad news, however, is that Smith pales in comparison to injured starter Michael Bush, who played a key role in last year's game versus West Virginia with four touchdowns. At 250 pounds with great speed, power, vision, hands and blocking skills, Bush provided a level of versatility that few backs can attain. While Smith should provide quality ground production between the tackles, he lacks the elusiveness and receiving skills to cause severe issues for WLB Kevin McLee and the Mountaineers' defensive front-seven.

West Virginia's biggest Achilles' heel on defense is the amount of big plays it surrenders through the air. Its defensive secondary is undisciplined and safeties Ridwan Malik and Quinton Andrews get caught peaking in the backfield too frequently on play action, which leads to gaping holes down the middle of the field in coverage. Louisville also has great perimeter matchups to target in the passing game with receivers Mario Urrutia and Harry Douglas versus cornerbacks Vaughn Rivers and Larry Williams. The matchup between Urrutia and Rivers is especially enticing because of Urrutia's 9-inch height advantage. If Brohm gets into an early rhythm and returns to early-season form, the Mountaineer secondary will be in for a long evening. However, after studying Brohm's hesitancy as a decision maker and uncharacteristically erratic arm, it seems more likely that Louisville will squander too many offensive opportunities to pull off the victory.

Special Teams
Louisville's Art Carmody is one of the most accurate place kickers in the nation. He has connected on 11-of-12 field goal attempts this season, including a long of 51 yards. PT Todd Flannery is averaging a respectable 39.7 yards per punt while landing four of his 17 attempts inside the opponents' 20-yard line. West Virginia is also solid in the kicking game with PK Pat McAfee and PT Scott Kozlowski providing good experience and consistency. McAfee has nailed 9 of his 12 field goal attempts with a long of 48 yards. One of his three misses was a block, and he has not missed from inside 40 yards. Kozlowski has adequate leg strength and good directional skills. He is averaging 40.9 yards per punt and has dropped four of his 15 attempts inside the opponents' 20-yard line.

The real difference between these two teams is in the return game, where West Virginia is far more lethal. Vaughn Rivers is averaging an impressive 12.8 yards per punt return, including a 50-yard touchdown. He also serves as the No. 2 kickoff return specialist behind Reynaud, who has emerged as one of the premier kickoff return men in the country with his average of 30.8 yards per attempt. Reynaud has one touchdown return of 96 yards this season.

Louisville's return units, on the other hand, have failed to provide its offense with a spark. Trent Guy has taken over for the struggling Patrick Carter as the team's top punt return specialist, but Guy is only averaging five yards on four returns. JaJuan Spillman is the team's top kickoff return man with a measly average of 18.7 yards per attempt. The Cardinals have also struggled in kick coverage, which has to be a major concern for Petrino and his staff heading into Thursday night's game.

Matchups
• West Virginia RB Steve Slaton vs. Louisville MLB Nate Harris
• Louisville RB Kolby Smith vs. West Virginia WLB Kevin McLee
• Louisville WR Mario Urrutia vs. West Virginia CB Vaughn Rivers

Scouts' Edge
West Virginia commits too many penalties and its defense gives up too many big plays via the air, which will be capitalized on by a good opponent like Louisville. If Brohm were on top of his game the Cardinals could outlast the Mountaineers in a shootout. Unfortunately for Petrino's team, he's not.

It took three overtimes for the Mountaineers to pull off a miraculous comeback last season after trailing the Cardinals by as many as 17 points in the fourth quarter. Thursday night's Big East showdown will be close, but not that close. Slaton will prove up to the task, and White will make a few key throws to keep Louisville off-balance. In the end, Rodriguez's squad will play its best game of the season and knock off the home team at a not-so-intimidating Papa John Stadium venue. Points may also be tougher to come by than most may expect.

Prediction: Mountaineers 30, Cardinals 21

MikeO
11-02-2006, 01:43 AM
I do not disagree with what either of you say. Sure, WVU, Louisville, Rutgers, Temple, etc..could beat any team on any given day. BUT, how can you like what you see when you watch WVU playing no one then complain about not getting the respect or attention that they aspire to have.

How did Temple get brought into this??? :shakeno: :shakeno:

They aren't even in the Big East anymore!!

MikeO
11-02-2006, 01:45 AM
Umm, Georgia was #10 in the nation. Not exactly the "National Championship" team that WVU is looking to play come Jan. 8th. 2007. Not to mention it was a 2-loss Georgia BEFORE the game.

Your missing the point. WV was expected to get slaughtered by Georiga in the Georgia Dome. Nobody gave WVU a chance. Said the Big East sucked. Said WV shouldn't have been there. Said WVU beat nobody this year.

Then WV goes into Georgia's back yard and spanked them.

This year with WV a little better. With whoever they play being a little better. (making all things equal for this hypothetical) That same scenerio can't happen again??? :confused: :confused:

Get my point now!!!

DBoston80
11-02-2006, 07:56 AM
Your missing the point. WV was expected to get slaughtered by Georiga in the Georgia Dome. Nobody gave WVU a chance. Said the Big East sucked. Said WV shouldn't have been there. Said WVU beat nobody this year.

Then WV goes into Georgia's back yard and spanked them.

This year with WV a little better. With whoever they play being a little better. (making all things equal for this hypothetical) That same scenerio can't happen again??? :confused: :confused:

Get my point now!!!

West Virginia IMO is the worst matchup OSU could face assuming we get to Tempe...Stopping the run is the kink in our armour...We all know what Garret Wolfe did to us...and vs Texas we forced them to beat us threw the air and stacked the box...we havent reallly face a RB who's upper class other than those two.

Thats why Im sorta rooting for Louisville tonight because I dont like the matchup vs WV.......I still feel we would beat the Mountaineers because we could score on them..but I would just assume not mess with that team.

ZolarZ_GoPhins
11-02-2006, 08:04 AM
West Virginia IMO is the worst matchup OSU could face assuming we get to Tempe...Stopping the run is the kink in our armour...We all know what Garret Wolfe did to us...and vs Texas we forced them to beat us threw the air and stacked the box...we havent reallly face a RB who's upper class other than those two.

Thats why Im sorta rooting for Louisville tonight because I dont like the matchup vs WV.......I still feel we would beat the Mountaineers because we could score on them..but I would just assume not mess with that team.

That is a nice post respecting the game of the Moutaineers. I think with the many different match-ups being tossed around WVU v/s Ohio St would be the most exciting offensive match-up.

WVU has had a harder time with mobiles QBs and I think Ginn would eat us up with his speed deep.

WVU can also put up points in bunches and have the most potent ground attack in the NCAA.

It would be exciting and fun for TV viewers.

OSUDauby
11-02-2006, 09:34 AM
How did Temple get brought into this??? :shakeno: :shakeno:

They aren't even in the Big East anymore!!
Ummm, well it was called a joke. If you watch college football you would know that Temple HAD the longest losing streak in the nation.

And to tell you the truth, I know very little about the teams in the Big East. All I know is that they are all cup cakes, crying about respect, yet do nothing to earn that respect.

Sure, you can play easy games all year, go undefeated, and wonder if you'll get into the big game. OR you can play the tough games, get the win, and have nothing to wonder about. That is the reason why you see teams like Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, etc...getting respect all the time. It's because they have the guts to step to the plate. Unlike ANY team in the Big Easy. (Louisville made an attempt with UM this season, but it's a shame that UM blows)

Brad528
11-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Whoever loses the Ohio State Michigan game should stay at number two because that will be the best 1 lose team.

Brad528
11-02-2006, 09:44 AM

Thats the same reason OSU will lose when Michigan comes to town. Michigan's running game is solid and there run D is one of the best I have ever seen.

Stitches
11-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Ummm, well it was called a joke. If you watch college football you would know that Temple HAD the longest losing streak in the nation.

And to tell you the truth, I know very little about the teams in the Big East. All I know is that they are all cup cakes, crying about respect, yet do nothing to earn that respect.

Sure, you can play easy games all year, go undefeated, and wonder if you'll get into the big game. OR you can play the tough games, get the win, and have nothing to wonder about. That is the reason why you see teams like Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, etc...getting respect all the time. It's because they have the guts to step to the plate. Unlike ANY team in the Big Easy. (Louisville made an attempt with UM this season, but it's a shame that UM blows)

Teams like WV and Louisville can't just play whomever they want to. Two teams have to agree to the schedule. It's not like they could just show up at Ohio State, and get a game going. I bet Louisville and WV think they can play well and hold up against any team in the country.

OSUDauby
11-02-2006, 10:06 AM
Teams like WV and Louisville can't just play whomever they want to. Two teams have to agree to the schedule. It's not like they could just show up at Ohio State, and get a game going. I bet Louisville and WV think they can play well and hold up against any team in the country.

Well, Cinn., Northern Illinois, Bowling Green, etc...managed to do it all in the same season against Ohio State. Michigan plays Ball State this week. I could go on and on. So, I guess you are seeing things my way if agree that WVU is respected less than those three teams

OSUDauby
11-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Thats the same reason OSU will lose when Michigan comes to town. Michigan's running game is solid and there run D is one of the best I have ever seen.
:lol:
Good one. And what did Texas' RB combo think when Ohio State went down there? Michael Hart will have less than 100 yrd rushing for the second stright OSU/Michigan match-up. And Ohio State will have little reason to run the ball at home against Michigan with Ginn, Gonzo, Robo, Hartline, etc..in the game.

Have you ever been to the Horseshoe? And have you ever been to the Horseshoe on OSU/Michigan gameday?!?

Turn on College Gameday anytime it is hosted at Ohio State. It's the bigest crowd everytime. Then turn it on Nov. 18th and remember what you see. It is going to be pandemonium and Michigan cannot handle that crowd, let alone the Bucks offense.

And don't forget who also has a pretty good defense. Only allowing 7.3 pts a game. Winning by a margin of over 28 pts. and never won by less than 17, THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES.

Stitches
11-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Well, Cinn., Northern Illinois, Bowling Green, etc...managed to do it all in the same season against Ohio State. Michigan plays Ball State this week. I could go on and on. So, I guess you are seeing things my way if agree that WVU is respected less than those three teams

Northern Illinois and BG got a game against Ohio Stae, because the MAC and the Big Ten have an agreement on games to be played. That agreement had probably been in the works for years. As for Cincy, I'm sure that game was scheduled a while ago, and it was scheduled so Ohio State could have yet *another* home game. And to even suggest Cinn. Northern Illinois, or Bowling Green are better than Louisville or WV(unlikely they're as good a Pitt or Rutgers too) or even more respected, is laughable.

OSUDauby
11-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Northern Illinois and BG got a game against Ohio Stae, because the MAC and the Big Ten have an agreement on games to be played. That agreement had probably been in the works for years. As for Cincy, I'm sure that game was scheduled a while ago, and it was scheduled so Ohio State could have yet *another* home game.And to even suggest Cinn. Northern Illinois, or Bowling Green are better than Louisville or WV(unlikely they're as good a Pitt or Rutgers too) or even more respected, is laughable.

I agree, but you seem to think that scheduling an out of conference team worth two cents is impossible. The facts are the facts. And the only thing that is laughable is the schedule of Big East "powerhouse" teams such as WVU, Louisville, Rutgers, etc.

Honsetly, play someone worth while then talk about stats, Heisman candidates, BCS bowls, etc...

Bumpus
11-02-2006, 11:11 AM
I don't think you see what I'm getting at. You left out the key part. I said...
ok, ok...

Bumpus
11-02-2006, 11:15 AM
When this year?

Why do you say what "was" my opinion? Has it changed?
Simply a question.

Uh, no they have not. They were simply getting by on reputation. It's frustrating that there is an inherent bias on the part of many. That was my point.

Bumpus
11-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Actually, believe it or not (sigh) our state legislature mandated that. I hated the decision at the time, and I hate it now.

Bumpus
11-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Who plays Citadel?

Bumpus
11-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Now, there's a well thought out comment.:rolleyes2

Bumpus
11-02-2006, 11:29 AM

You'll have to pardon us when we don't begin shaking uncontrollably, and bow down in fear at the mighty Big 10.

Bumpus
11-02-2006, 11:36 AM

Thank you for the compliment. It's rare for the 'Eers to get any respect here. I firmly believe that this WVU team can run on anyone in the country. On the flip side, I'm not exactly relishing the thought of playing a team as talented as OSU, but it would be nice to get a shot.

Bumpus
11-02-2006, 11:38 AM

Yeah, we could tell.

Bumpus
11-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Say it ain't so ... you mean Ohio State actually plays cupcakes too...

Stitches
11-02-2006, 11:50 AM
I agree, but you seem to think that scheduling an out of conference team worth two cents is impossible. The facts are the facts. And the only thing that is laughable is the schedule of Big East "powerhouse" teams such as WVU, Louisville, Rutgers, etc.

Honsetly, play someone worth while then talk about stats, Heisman candidates, BCS bowls, etc...

No, I think it's difficult. I never once said it was impossible. And the only out of conference team that OSU played that was any good last year or this year was Texas. So far they are 1 and 1 in those two games. And I'm pretty sure losing that game last year locked OSU out of the national championship game(even though they wound up losing again later on, they would never have made the NC with 1 loss), so playing strong out of conference teams isn't always in the best interest during the regular season. As for talking about BCS bowls, the Big East is guaranteed 1 slot I believe, so one of those "powerhouse" teams will be there, and there is a good chance they'll win.

OSUDauby
11-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Bumpus,

You seem to know SO much about the Big East, so please tell me how anything I said is wrong. Exactly who has WVU played this year?! And why do you feel they should be ranked high or be considered?

OSUDauby
11-02-2006, 01:01 PM
No, I think it's difficult. I never once said it was impossible. And the only out of conference team that OSU played that was any good last year or this year was Texas. So far they are 1 and 1 in those two games. And I'm pretty sure losing that game last year locked OSU out of the national championship game(even though they wound up losing again later on, they would never have made the NC with 1 loss), so playing strong out of conference teams isn't always in the best interest during the regular season. As for talking about BCS bowls, the Big East is guaranteed 1 slot I believe, so one of those "powerhouse" teams will be there, and there is a good chance they'll win.

Well, what you fail to understand is there is no need to schedule any more than 1 strong out of conference game when you play in a good conference like the Big 10, SEC, etc.

Sure the Big 10 is a little down this year, but traditionally they are argueably the toughest conf. in the NCAA. And sure the SEC has a handful of contenders this year, but lack the "knock out" teams like Ohio State/Michigan.

I'd be more than willing to say that the Big East has "contenders" like Louisville/Rutgers or a "knock out" team like WVU, but the fact that they fail to prove themselves leaves me and a vast majority of the nation to question them. Like I've been saying all along...to get respect of the nation, and more importantly the respect of the voters, you have to earn it. Earn it on the field by playing teams better than .500. Something that WVU hasn't done.

Looking at Ohio State's schedule when they played the teams Ohio State has played a ranked Texas, Penn State, and Iowa.

West Virgina.....ummm, well...umm. No one, ta-duh!!

Bumpus
11-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Bumpus,

You seem to know SO much about the Big East, so please tell me how anything I said is wrong. Exactly who has WVU played this year?! And why do you feel they should be ranked high or be considered?
Because you are simply making the assumption that no team that comes out of the Big East can possibly be any good at all. I am not defending the lack of difficult games that we have played thus far. I'm simply stating that we ARE an exceptional team. (for that matter, I feel that Louisville is as well)

Keep an eye on tonight's game ... you won't be disappointed.

MikeO
11-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Bumpus,

you are wrong in that you FAIL to realize that the big east teams that were left behind when VT,Miami,BC left were stuck in a bind. You can't, you can't, YOU CAN'T on 1 or 2 years notice go out and schedule a Florida, Texas, USC....etc. It ain't gonna happen!!! Ever!!!

WV had this years and last years schedule mapped out years ago. And they planned on it being Miami, VT, BC, Maryland, Pitt...etc. Which is a quality schedule. When 3 of those teams leave your conference and you have almost NO notice or time to replace them......what do you want them to do???

Now, IF your argument is they play a weak schedule that is one thing. And if you don't want them in the BCS, well then throw them OUT of the BCS prior to the season!!! But you want mid-way through the season to esentially change the rules and not let 1 of 2 unbeaten teams (L'ville or WV) in the championship game!!! THAT is where you are wrong!!

Stitches
11-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Well, what you fail to understand is there is no need to schedule any more than 1 strong out of conference game when you play in a good conference like the Big 10, SEC, etc.

Sure the Big 10 is a little down this year, but traditionally they are argueably the toughest conf. in the NCAA. And sure the SEC has a handful of contenders this year, but lack the "knock out" teams like Ohio State/Michigan.

I'd be more than willing to say that the Big East has "contenders" like Louisville/Rutgers or a "knock out" team like WVU, but the fact that they fail to prove themselves leaves me and a vast majority of the nation to question them. Like I've been saying all along...to get respect of the nation, and more importantly the respect of the voters, you have to earn it. Earn it on the field by playing teams better than .500. Something that WVU hasn't done.

Looking at Ohio State's schedule when they played the teams Ohio State has played a ranked Texas, Penn State, and Iowa.

West Virgina.....ummm, well...umm. No one, ta-duh!!

Just so you know "powerhouse" was your word. I consider WV and Louisville to be top 10 teams this and last year. To be a powerhouse, they have to have a legacy of being that good. Maybe they will be powerhouses eventually due to thier current success.

Marino2Clayton
11-02-2006, 02:04 PM
I like how everyone leaves out how WVU almost suffered one of the biggest 2nd half collapses in bowl history.

Its just like a previous poster said WVU, Louisville, Rutgers, and Pitt can beat anyone on any given Saturday. But could any of those teams survive the week in and week out pounding that you take in the SEC.

Take tonights game for an example, a match-up of two excellent football teams, no one can argue that. However, both teams have been looking ahead to this match-up for a couple of weeks now.

Could Florida look toward Auburn weeks ahead of time, no because they had to play Tennessee, Alabama, and Auburn first. In fact Auburn may of mistakingly looked past Arkansas and ahead to Florida and it cost them there only loss of the season.

WVU's Sugar Bowl victory over Georgia was a huge win for that program, you can't take it way from them. But until you play teams of the caliber of Tennessee, Alabama. LSU, and Auburn before you even get to a game with Georgia just keep your mouth shut.

I mean take for instance Tennessee, as of Saturday the Vols will have played 4 teams that at one time or anther were ranked in the top 10.

Motion
11-02-2006, 02:07 PM
I like how everyone leaves out how WVU almost suffered one of the biggest 2nd half collapses in bowl history.

Its just like a previous poster said WVU, Louisville, Rutgers, and Pitt can beat anyone on any given Saturday. But could any of those teams survive the week in and week out pounding that you take in the SEC.

Take tonights game for an example, a match-up of two excellent football teams, no one can argue that. However, both teams have been looking ahead to this match-up for a couple of weeks now.

Could Florida look toward Auburn weeks ahead of time, no because they had to play Tennessee, Alabama, and LSU first. In fact Auburn may of mistakingly looked past Arkansas and ahead to Florida and it cost them there only loss of the season.

WVU's Sugar Bowl victory over Georgia was a huge win for that program, you can't take it way from them. But until you play teams of the caliber of Tennessee, Alabama. LSU, and Auburn before you even get to a game with Georgia just keep your mouth shut.

I mean take for instance Tennessee, as of Saturday the Vols will have played 4 teams that at one time or anther were ranked in the top 10.

:yeahthat: Good post.

MikeO
11-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Not every team can play in the SEC and play that schedule.

So let's just punish everyone else??? Makes no sense.

OSUDauby
11-02-2006, 02:45 PM
you are wrong in that you FAIL to realize that the big east teams that were left behind when VT,Miami,BC left were stuck in a bind. You can't, you can't, YOU CAN'T on 1 or 2 years notice go out and schedule a Florida, Texas, USC....etc. It ain't gonna happen!!! Ever!!!

WV had this years and last years schedule mapped out years ago. And they planned on it being Miami, VT, BC, Maryland, Pitt...etc. Which is a quality schedule. When 3 of those teams leave your conference and you have almost NO notice or time to replace them......what do you want them to do???

Now, IF your argument is they play a weak schedule that is one thing. And if you don't want them in the BCS, well then throw them OUT of the BCS prior to the season!!! But you want mid-way through the season to esentially change the rules and not let 1 of 2 unbeaten teams (L'ville or WV) in the championship game!!! THAT is where you are wrong!!

Are you even reading this conversation!?! We're talking about OUT OF CONFERENCE schedules!! Who cares about teams that left the Big East!! We're talking about teams that have nothing to do with the Big East. I realize that schedules are made YEARS ahead of time. Ohio State scheduled Texas something like 4 years ago. Do you not hink that WVU had a National Championship on their minds 4 years ago!?!?

They should have scheduled someone good 4 years ago and kept someone good on the schedule for years to come. It's no one's fault but the program for not scheduleing the games.

OSUDauby
11-02-2006, 02:49 PM
And where you are wrong is that the BCS say NO WHERE that the championship game will feature undefeated teams. BUT, it does say that it will feature the two best teams in the nation. A one loss team could be better than WVU. Especially if that one loss tema has jumped through hoops by playing tough teams, rather than crap teams and then saying, "Hey consider us!! We're undefeated!! You can't leave us out, we're in the BCS too!!" Whoopie! Well, you're right, they are in the BCS and should be considered. And that is why if you look at the BCS standings Ohio State and Michigan are WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY ahead of the #3 team in %. Believe it or not, there is a reason for that!!

Motion
11-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Not every team can play in the SEC and play that schedule.

So let's just punish everyone else??? Makes no sense.

Why does it have to be so negative? Why can't it be "rewarding" the teams that play the tough schedules instead of "punishing" the teams that don't? Strength of schedule is in the BCS formula for a reason.

OSUDauby
11-02-2006, 03:04 PM
Why does it have to be so negative? Why can't it be "rewarding" the teams that play the tough schedules instead of "punishing" the teams that don't? Strength of schedule is in the BCS formula for a reason.

Ummm, actually Strength of Schedule is NOT in the BCS formula. It was taken out over 2 years ago, a bad move in my opinion.

MikeO
11-02-2006, 03:09 PM
Ummm, actually Strength of Schedule is NOT in the BCS formula. It was taken out over 2 years ago, a bad move in my opinion.

Because the S.O.S punishes the good team in a lesser conference having a good year. THey had to take it out. It wasn't fair!!!! The little guys never got a chance.

Like George Mason could ever get to the final four???!! :shakeno: :sidelol: With your logic teams like George Mason would never get a chance to go to the Final Four in basketball! Same works here in football.

Motion
11-02-2006, 03:09 PM

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Motion
11-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Because the S.O.S punishes the good team in a lesser conference having a good year. THey had to take it out. It wasn't fair!!!! The little guys never got a chance.

Like George Mason could ever get to the final four???!! :shakeno: :sidelol: With your logic teams like George Mason would never get a chance to go to the Final Four in basketball! Same works here in football.

Oh no, COMPLETELY different. I can't believe you'd even use that as an example. Basketball has a playoff system, how can you compare?

OSUDauby
11-02-2006, 03:14 PM

Ummm actually there is no similarities involved here. If George Mason is having a "good year" they would win their conference and get into the 40 team bracket and then continue to win. It would have nothing at all to do with an equation much like the BCS. College basketball is simple. Win and your in.

finswin56
11-02-2006, 03:18 PM
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g56/motion23/slap.gifno worries. Quality wins is still a factor :wink:

OSUDauby
11-02-2006, 03:28 PM
no worries. Quality wins is still a factor :wink:

Ummm, quality win is no longer a factor either. Am I the only one who follows college football in thie college football forum?!?!
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/7499505

Motion
11-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Ummm, quality win is no longer a factor either. Am I the only one who follows college football in thie college football forum?!?!
You would think so by hearing you talk, thats for sure. What did we ever do without your guidance?!?!?

The actual numbers may be eliminated but I'm sure its still a factor with the voters.

Stitches
11-02-2006, 03:33 PM
Ummm actually there is no similarities involved here. If George Mason is having a "good year" they would win their conference and get into the 40 team bracket and then continue to win. It would have nothing at all to do with an equation much like the BCS. College basketball is simple. Win and your in.

While I agree in basketball it's simple, win and you're in. But some of the BCS games play out the same, because certain conferences are guaranteed bids to those bowls. That doesn't affect the NC game, I'm just saying it affects other BCS games. I would still prefer a playoff system though.

finswin56
11-02-2006, 03:57 PM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/7499505http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif:lol:

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-02-2006, 05:08 PM
no, we just wait for you to say something before forming an opinion, oh mighty one.

Cuban Dave 9
11-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Ohio State...home of the smart...

arses :lol:

OSUDauby
11-02-2006, 05:32 PM
no, we just wait for you to say something before forming an opinion, oh mighty one.

You should. Because apparently I'm the only one who knows the "general" rules of the system. Hell, I was under the impression that the BCS was "kind of a big deal" in college football. You'd think that people rooting for their team and complaining about the lack of respect in the BCS voting would know the basis of the system. :shakeno:

Typical WVU fan: "You mean you don't get bonus points in the BCS for wearing blue and yellow?! What a rip off! When did that rule change?!?"

OSUDauby
11-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Ohio State...home of the smart...

arses :lol:

Never under estimate the intelligence of a smart a--. It takes a lot of wit to be able to think on the run. Besides, I'd rather be a smart a-- than a dumb a--.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-02-2006, 05:35 PM
You should. Because apparently I'm the only one who knows the "general" rules of the system. Hell, I was under the impression that the BCS was "kind of a big deal" in college football. You'd think that people rooting for their team and complaining about the lack of respect in the BCS voting would know the basis of the system. :shakeno:

Typical WVU fan: "You mean you don't get bonus points in the BCS for wearing blue and yellow?! What a rip off! When did that rule change?!?"
the rules change every single year. it's hard to keep track. and considering how much everyone keeps saying UF's schedule would put them in the title game over west virginia/louisville, it makes sense that people would think it was a big factor.

Brad528
11-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Good one. And what did Texas' RB combo think when Ohio State went down there? Michael Hart will have less than 100 yrd rushing for the second stright OSU/Michigan match-up. And Ohio State will have little reason to run the ball at home against Michigan with Ginn, Gonzo, Robo, Hartline, etc..in the game.

Have you ever been to the Horseshoe? And have you ever been to the Horseshoe on OSU/Michigan gameday?!?

Turn on College Gameday anytime it is hosted at Ohio State. It's the bigest crowd everytime. Then turn it on Nov. 18th and remember what you see. It is going to be pandemonium and Michigan cannot handle that crowd, let alone the Bucks offense.

And don't forget who also has a pretty good defense. Only allowing 7.3 pts a game. Winning by a margin of over 28 pts. and never won by less than 17, THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES.
I am from Toledo Ohio and have been to games at both stadiums and I know what the game is about. I lived two miles from the Michigan border so the game meant even more. Hart will have 100 yards and Michigan will leave with a win. They give up only about 25 yards a game on the ground which is tops in the land. SO it will be tough for Pittman to get things going which is the key to opening up the WRs. I am very confident Leon Hall will be able contain either WR he covers.

Stitches
11-02-2006, 07:31 PM
I am from Toledo Ohio and have been to games at both stadiums and I know what the game is about. I lived two miles from the Michigan border so the game meant even more. Hart will have 100 yards and Michigan will leave with a win. They give up only about 25 yards a game on the ground which is tops in the land. SO it will be tough for Pittman to get things going which is the key to opening up the WRs. I am very confident Leon Hall will be able contain either WR he covers.
I used to live in Oregon, and the same holds true for me. Living so close to the border was good and bad. Half my friends were Michigan fans, and half were Ohio state. It was all smack talk the whole week before the game, and bitterness/gloating the week after. It never seemed to go the way my friends thought it would though(one team completely dominating the other). Luckily I was a Penn State fan, and rarely had to worry about them getting upset because my team ruined thier NC hope.

Bumpus
11-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Well ... I'll just shut up for another year.

Nothing like choking on a national stage to remind ya' of humility.

On the bright side, we return almost everyone (is that a good thing on "D" :wink: ) ... so we will be back!

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Well ... I'll just shut up for another year.

Nothing like choking on a national stage to remind ya' of humility.

On the bright side, we return almost everyone (is that a good thing on "D" :wink: ) ... so we will be back!
and you guys should be better next year. and you'll face louisville at home.