PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cosby criticizes parents, teachers

BAMAPHIN 22
10-30-2006, 01:25 AM
Bill Cosby, who has ignited controversy in the past with his sometimes scathing rebukes, criticized teachers and parents at a weekend education conference, saying they don’t do enough to help kids.

Cosby spoke Saturday at a forum called “Education Is a Civil Right.” Hundreds of Los Angeles-area parents, teachers and students attended the event at Maranatha Community Church.

Cosby, 69, was critical of black parents, saying they don’t involve themselves enough in their children’s education and don’t know what their children are doing.

“We’ve got parents who won’t check the bedrooms of their children to see if there’s a gun,” he said.

He chided teachers for not offering clear explanations to children who ask why courses such as English and algebra are necessary.

“If you teach English and you can’t answer this child, then you’re in trouble, and we’ve been in trouble,” Cosby said. “We can’t answer these children, because nobody’s given them any goals.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15477786/

ch19079
10-30-2006, 09:46 AM
i think that if you look at what he says, he makes good points. but how he says it and where he says it tend to catch people off gaurd.

i expect him to offer me pudding, not to scold parents about how they raise their kids.

Timmy54
10-30-2006, 12:38 PM
now cosby wants to rant and rave, hmm sounds like someone is missing that spotlight to me.

Scrap
10-30-2006, 01:35 PM
Cosby's right. He needs to leave color out of it though, and make the statement more generalized.

FinsNCanes
10-30-2006, 03:04 PM
Wasn't Cosyb accused of cheating or beating his wife years ago?

HolliFinFan
10-30-2006, 10:29 PM
:wink:

He chided teachers for not offering clear explanations to children who ask why courses such as English and algebra are necessary.

“If you teach English and you can’t answer this child, then you’re in trouble, and we’ve been in trouble,” Cosby said. “We can’t answer these children, because nobody’s given them any goals.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15477786/

I am a mentor to many new teachers, and I've never seen this as a problem (why English or math is important.) Sure, I get the kids way late in their education, but still, I'd need some examples as to what he speaks. Exactly who does not make this clear?

If he was talking easy certification of teachers who never went to school to be teachers, or our continuing struggle to attact qualified teachers, many who are turned off by pay or the successful rightwing villification of teachers, then I could relate to his criticism, though on a different vein.

I'd guess there's more to his point than was reported. He doesn't seem the type to generalize teachers as the anti-Christ, as is typical of the rightwing movement.

Roman529
10-30-2006, 10:40 PM
I think Bill is right.....BUT, not many black families are millionaires who can send their kids to great schools like he was able to with his kids. :rolleyes:

Perfect23
10-30-2006, 10:43 PM
I hate Bill Cosby that guy is racist.

HolliFinFan
10-30-2006, 10:45 PM
I think Bill is right.....BUT, not many black families are millionaires who can send their kids to great schools like he was able to with his kids. :rolleyes:

So, you're saying his experience at private schools was teachers not being able to explain to the kids why math and English are important? :confused:

HolliFinFan
10-30-2006, 10:47 PM
I hate Bill Cosby that guy is racist.

Not that simple. Out of touch, looking for scapegoats maybe, but his views are not bedded in racism.

305TillIDie
10-30-2006, 10:53 PM
did someone say Pudding? :drool:

PrepDogg
10-30-2006, 11:27 PM
I think his hearts in the right place but he choses the wrong time to get on his soapbox sometimes.