PDA

View Full Version : Question about Troy Smith (QB Ohio State)

MustangFinFan
10-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Is Troy Smith like Michael Vick?? I know he can throw (obviously or he wouldnt be the QB of a #1 team...but is he a good scrambling QB like Vick is?? A guy who can run real well and what not? Or is he more like McNair, Culpepper, Brooks, McNabb...theyre better off just throwing.

DonShula84
10-30-2006, 07:30 PM
He's nothing like Vick when it comes to scrambling, he's more of a McNabb where he's throw first but can run and use his athletic ability to scramble and get more time.

Stitches
10-30-2006, 07:32 PM
Is Troy Smith like Michael Vick?? I know he can throw (obviously or he wouldnt be the QB of a #1 team...but is he a good scrambling QB like Vick is?? A guy who can run real well and what not? Or is he more like McNair, Culpepper, Brooks, McNabb...theyre better off just throwing.

There have been a handful of times where the QB wasn't that good of a thrower by NFL standards. You assume to much by saying that.

Troy Smith does have a strong arm though. Not the runner like Vick. He's in my opinion a much more athletic Bruce Gradkowski.

shanem40
10-30-2006, 07:47 PM
i dont think troy smith is an nfl qb but i could very well be wrong

Slappy8800
10-30-2006, 07:49 PM
i dont think troy smith is an nfl qb but i could very well be wrong

why is that

MustangFinFan
10-30-2006, 07:50 PM
There have been a handful of times where the QB wasn't that good of a thrower by NFL standards. You assume to much by saying that.

Troy Smith does have a strong arm though. Not the runner like Vick. He's in my opinion a much more athletic Bruce Gradkowski.

well if u watch the Tampa Bay games...Gradkowski isnt exactly that great. So saying hes a much more athletic Bruce Gradkowski doesnt say much:(

saves
10-30-2006, 07:52 PM

The only similarity he has with Gradowski is that he is a short QB at around 6'1 and played in Ohio.

Smith has an very strong arm and throws a wonderful deep ball. On top of that he has appeared to be as coach-able as they come, and his mechanics rarely become sloppy. He keeps his eyes down field when hes under pressure and has shown a good feel for how to be a successful passer. I'm still trying to formulate an opinion on his leadership abilities, but from what I've seen in the past few years he definitely knows how to get hyped. We all know what he can do with his legs, but he has proved to be a pass first guy. McNabb is a good comparison.

That being said, from the Dolphins perspective, we shouldn't even think about him unless he somehow falls to a round he shouldn't.

Slappy8800
10-30-2006, 07:55 PM
well if u watch the Tampa Bay games...Gradkowski isnt exactly that great. So saying hes a much more athletic Bruce Gradkowski doesnt say much:(

hes also a rookie making emergency starts..gotta cut him some slack

calmrage
10-30-2006, 07:57 PM
Troy Smith is the All Time Big 10 passing efficiency leader. He plays mistake free, has a rocket arm, is very smart, and most of all, he's a winner.

Joneal7
10-30-2006, 08:08 PM
im iffy on him...he hasnt been this productive until this year...and remember last year he was a backup for a good while

Stitches
10-30-2006, 08:09 PM
Actually it says a lot since I think Gradkowski will be an average NFL QB(very good back up).

Gradkowski was a monster in college. Possibly one of the most accurate ever(statistically) and he had an amazing QB efficiency rating. He's quite fast for a QB who is known for his passing. He was a proven winner in college. The only thing he lacked was height and the arm strength that most top QBs have. He's very intelligent though.

So to me saying Smith is a more physically gifted version of Gradkowski is a hell of a compliment coming from me.

Stitches
10-30-2006, 08:11 PM
The only similarity he has with Gradowski is that he is a short QB at around 6'1 and played in Ohio.

Smith has an very strong arm and throws a wonderful deep ball. On top of that he has appeared to be as coach-able as they come, and his mechanics rarely become sloppy. He keeps his eyes down field when hes under pressure and has shown a good feel for how to be a successful passer. I'm still trying to formulate an opinion on his leadership abilities, but from what I've seen in the past few years he definitely knows how to get hyped. We all know what he can do with his legs, but he has proved to be a pass first guy. McNabb is a good comparison.

That being said, from the Dolphins perspective, we shouldn't even think about him unless he somehow falls to a round he shouldn't.

How is that not like Gradkowski when he was in college? Gradkowski showed toughness, leadership, and the will to win at Toledo too.

saves
10-30-2006, 08:16 PM
How is that not like Gradkowski when he was in college? Gradkowski showed toughness, leadership, and the will to win at Toledo too.

Okay? Toughness, leadership, and the will to win. Go to a flag football tournament and you will see those qualities.

But what he also showed was the inability to put juice on a pass more than 10 yards down the field, the ability to complete 10 screen passes and 10 dumps a game, and lack of anything resembling ideal measurable.

His career or playing style is nothing like Smiths. Smith had to beat out one of OSU's top recruits and former Mr. Ohio in Zwick to earn his job, and has shown a transformation since he first took the job. He went from a run first QB with a big arm to a amazing passer with fast legs in a very high powered, yet balanced offense in one of the best conferences in the nation. Bruce spent his whole career running trick plays trying to outscore the MAC. I like Bruce as a west-coast offense project, but past that....he is nothing like Troy Smith.

And Jaj...he wasn't a backup, he was in competition for his spot. And he didn't have the passing production he has this year for sure, but he showed us that he was the answer at QB and a winner, and they did beat ND in the Fiesta Bowl and spanked Michigan with him behind center.

PhinFan0202
10-30-2006, 08:24 PM
He's like David Gerrard from the Jags. Gerrard could probably start for any team in the NFL right now.

saves
10-30-2006, 08:28 PM
He's like David Gerrard from the Jags. Gerrard could probably start for any team in the NFL right now.

10/17 with no TD's and under 90 yards passing???:rolleyes:

primetime23
10-30-2006, 08:30 PM
actually troy smith is a real good runner not like vick but hes a very good runner he was a scrambler early in his career but learned to become a passing qb. I dont care what people say about his height, hes going to become a real good qb in the nfl

Majpain
10-30-2006, 08:37 PM
He's nothing like Vick when it comes to scrambling, he's more of a McNabb where he's throw first but can run and use his athletic ability to scramble and get more time.

Correct he is alot like Mcnabb but has Vick's size.

Stitches
10-30-2006, 08:41 PM
Correct he is alot like Mcnabb but has Vick's size.

I don't think he is like McNabb hardly at all, other than that they can both run but prefer to pass, and are winners.

Stitches
10-30-2006, 08:43 PM
Okay? Toughness, leadership, and the will to win. Go to a flag football tournament and you will see those qualities.

But what he also showed was the inability to put juice on a pass more than 10 yards down the field, the ability to complete 10 screen passes and 10 dumps a game, and lack of anything resembling ideal measurable.

His career or playing style is nothing like Smiths. Smith had to beat out one of OSU's top recruits and former Mr. Ohio in Zwick to earn his job, and has shown a transformation since he first took the job. He went from a run first QB with a big arm to a amazing passer with fast legs in a very high powered, yet balanced offense in one of the best conferences in the nation. Bruce spent his whole career running trick plays trying to outscore the MAC. I like Bruce as a west-coast offense project, but past that....he is nothing like Troy Smith.

And Jaj...he wasn't a backup, he was in competition for his spot. And he didn't have the passing production he has this year for sure, but he showed us that he was the answer at QB and a winner, and they did beat ND in the Fiesta Bowl and spanked Michigan with him behind center.
So how is a more athletic Gradkowski a knock? I have yet to see why. If Gradkowski had the increased arm strength, speed, and agility that Smith has over him, he'd have been a 3rd round pick. Smith is much more physically gifted, I said as much. They play very similarly though when you look at everything. You can't knock Gradkowski because of his competition either, since his supporting cast wasn't even half what Smith's is. And Gradkowski again, had to outscore the MAC, because he didn't have anything close to the defenses that OSU has.

Majpain
10-30-2006, 08:44 PM
I don't think he is like McNabb hardly at all, other than that they can both run but prefer to pass, and are winners.

As terms of throwing. Its going to be intresting if Smith wins the Hiesman, where would he fall in the draft?

Stitches
10-30-2006, 08:49 PM
As terms of throwing. Its going to be intresting if Smith wins the Hiesman, where would he fall in the draft?

Ok, I can agree with that or at least see the similarity.

Smith, regardless of winning the Heisman, will have to impress in his individual workouts, and any post season all star games he plays in. His size will always be a detractor. As is, without any individual workouts, I have to think he's a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick.

Majpain
10-30-2006, 08:51 PM
As far as teams. It has to be Washington, unless they push for Quinn.

saves
10-30-2006, 09:02 PM
So how is a more athletic Gradkowski a knock? I have yet to see why. If Gradkowski had the increased arm strength, speed, and agility that Smith has over him, he'd have been a 3rd round pick. Smith is much more physically gifted, I said as much. They play very similarly though when you look at everything. You can't knock Gradkowski because of his competition either, since his supporting cast wasn't even half what Smith's is. And Gradkowski again, had to outscore the MAC, because he didn't have anything close to the defenses that OSU has.

He is a more athletic Gradkowski in the sense that he is a more athletic Joey Harrington, a more athletic Will Ferrel. He doesnt compare to Gradkowski. If I has the ability that Smith had, I'd be a 3rd round pick as well. They don't play similarly, and I've seen nearly ever Smith start and Bruce a few times, live once.
And I can knock Gradkowski because of his competition. Every other NFL analysis knock mid-major QB's because of their competition, why isn't that relevant here?

saves
10-30-2006, 09:05 PM

I had a lot written, but arguing with someone who believes the best player in college football right now compares best to Bruce Gradkowski and is a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick at this point is futile.

Stitches
10-30-2006, 09:16 PM
I had a lot written, but arguing with someone who believes the best player in college football right now compares best to Bruce Gradkowski and is a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick at this point is futile.
Calvin Johnson is the best player in college football, Adrian peterson would be ahead of Smith, and so would Michael Bush. Troy Smith is a very good college Qb on the #1 ranked team in the country.

And find me some scouts who have Smith higher than the 2nd round at this moment.

MiamiSportsFan
10-30-2006, 09:17 PM
Who cares? We dont need a QB in the draft

Stitches
10-30-2006, 09:19 PM
He is a more athletic Gradkowski in the sense that he is a more athletic Joey Harrington, a more athletic Will Ferrel. He doesnt compare to Gradkowski. If I has the ability that Smith had, I'd be a 3rd round pick as well. They don't play similarly, and I've seen nearly ever Smith start and Bruce a few times, live once.
And I can knock Gradkowski because of his competition. Every other NFL analysis knock mid-major QB's because of their competition, why isn't that relevant here?

And they don't play similarly? Extremely accurate throws, decision making, pocket presence, release point? How is that not similar?

Then it is fair to knock Smith because of his supporting cast. Just like Ken Dorsey would have been nowhere near the college QB he was if not for the supporting cast, the same could be said about Smith.

saves
10-30-2006, 09:20 PM
Calvin Johnson is the best player in college football, Adrian peterson would be ahead of Smith, and so would Michael Bush. Troy Smith is a very good college Qb on the #1 ranked team in the country.

And find me some scouts who have Smith higher than the 2nd round at this moment.

When the Heisman gets delievered to the best player in college football...let me know.

All that matters is the end result, and he will probably end up in the 1st round. I'd love to see him slip to the Browns at the top of the second, but hes going to wow in workouts.

Stitches
10-30-2006, 09:26 PM
When the Heisman gets delievered to the best player in college football...let me know.

All that matters is the end result, and he will probably end up in the 1st round. I'd love to see him slip to the Browns at the top of the second, but hes going to wow in workouts.

There have been a few instances even in the past 5 years where the best player was overpassed for giving it to the Qb of the team that was ranked #1 in the country.

And you are right. All that matters is the end result. You can save this post if you want, and I'll own up to it, but Smith won't be a first round pick. I don't see the Browns drafting him when he is available in the second either. He will have to wow in workouts to be a high(or low depending how you look at it, top 10 in that round) 2nd round pick.

mmikel30
10-30-2006, 11:30 PM

That being said, from the Dolphins perspective, we shouldn't even think about him unless he somehow falls to a round he shouldn't.i don't like short qb's bt the way how tall is brady quinn

DUB
10-31-2006, 12:12 AM

The same could be said about Vince Young. Look for Smith to have a "Vince-like" national title game and be top 5.

Stitches
10-31-2006, 12:28 AM
The same could be said about Vince Young. Look for Smith to have a "Vince-like" national title game and be top 5.

Vince was always considered a top 15 pick though. No one called him a second round reach.

adamprez2003
10-31-2006, 12:29 AM
troy smith has looked very good this year. He's a first rounder I think and if scouts can overlook his height could be top ten. Probably wont be but could be if he impresses in all star games and the combine. i have a hard time figuring out just how good he is because of the all star cast around him. Its much easier scouting qbs when they dont have as many weapons as ohio state has

mmikel30
10-31-2006, 01:32 AM
troy smith has looked very good this year. He's a first rounder I think and if scouts can overlook his height could be top ten. Probably wont be but could be if he impresses in all star games and the combine. i have a hard time figuring out just how good he is because of the all star cast around him. Its much easier scouting qbs when they dont have as many weapons as ohio state haswould you draft jp losman in the first round if he were coming out this year ..troy smith = losman short qb's with athletic ability think o0f good qb's tom brady , peyton manning , carson palmer , dan marino , donavan mc nab , marc bulger, john elway, brad johnson vinny testicle verdy , warren moon , start naming the shorties mike vick drew brees doug flutie ummm i can't think of any more but maybe it's me i perfer the un shorty's:lol:

adamprez2003
10-31-2006, 01:45 AM
would you draft jp losman in the first round if he were coming out this year ..troy smith = losman short qb's with athletic ability think o0f good qb's tom brady , peyton manning , carson palmer , dan marino , donavan mc nab , marc bulger, john elway, brad johnson vinny testicle verdy , warren moon , start naming the shorties mike vick drew brees doug flutie ummm i can't think of any more but maybe it's me i perfer the un shorty's:lol:

no. i agree with you. i'm not for drafting any qb under 6'2" and preferably 6'4" or taller. I'm just saying I think he might be drafted by another team that needs a QB but cant get Quinn or Brohm. Hopefully its not us

Vertical Limit
10-31-2006, 01:54 AM
Troy Smith still doesn't jump out on me as a starter in the NFL.

Stitches
10-31-2006, 08:23 AM
Troy Smith still doesn't jump out on me as a starter in the NFL.

He doesn't jump out as an above average starter to me. He could be an average starter, and a very good back up in my opinion.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
10-31-2006, 09:26 AM
i think he can be very good. his height will hurt his draft status, but he could be a quality starter.

Crowder52
10-31-2006, 01:59 PM

Man there is no way Troy Smith goes in the top 5 in my opinion. Not only is he 5 inches shorter than Vince Young, he is also slower and has a much better supporting cast on offense to make him look good.

Majpain
10-31-2006, 08:34 PM
Man there is no way Troy Smith goes in the top 5 in my opinion. Not only is he 5 inches shorter than Vince Young, he is also slower and has a much better supporting cast on offense to make him look good.

:shakeno:. Troy has a rocket of a arm and has great accuracy. Plus he has great scrambling skill. Troy may not have Vince Young scrambling but alteast he can read a defense.

Stitches
10-31-2006, 08:44 PM
:shakeno:. Troy has a rocket of a arm and has great accuracy. Plus he has great scrambling skill. Troy may not have Vince Young scrambling but alteast he can read a defense.

But can you honestly say he will be a top 5 draft pick? let alone top 10?

Majpain
10-31-2006, 09:18 PM
No, Late first at best. ITs a stretch. If he puts on a strong showing in the Michigan game his stock could rise big time.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-01-2006, 09:21 AM
i bet he winds up in the top 20. assuming they win the national championship. otherwise, no chance.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-01-2006, 09:22 AM
another thing to consider....troy smith will be attending this year's Senior Bowl. he'll have a chance to shine there.

Stitches
11-01-2006, 09:41 AM
another thing to consider....troy smith will be attending this year's Senior Bowl. he'll have a chance to shine there.

I know that, my opinion, was that right at this very moment, without any workouts or postseason all star games, that he was a mid/late 2nd rounder at best.

adamprez2003
11-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Right now Smith has moved up in the eyes of scouts more than early 2nd. He could easily fall fast however if he has some poor games. Some scouts (very few I would imagine) actually like him more than Quinn

Stitches
11-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Right now Smith has moved up in the eyes of scouts more than early 2nd. He could easily fall fast however if he has some poor games. Some scouts (very few I would imagine) actually like him more than Quinn

Well I hope someone takes him in the 1st or early 2nd, so long as it isn't us.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-01-2006, 09:56 AM
i definitely think he's a 1st rounder right now. as much as drew brees was. he could still slip to the top of the 2nd as it stands now, though. depending no who's drafting. but i see him going top 15-20 on draft day, after a potential championship run, senior bowl, and combine.

that being said, i hope OSU loses from here on out and he goes undrafted.

adamprez2003
11-01-2006, 10:00 AM
Well I hope someone takes him in the 1st or early 2nd, so long as it isn't us.:lol: me too

Majpain
11-01-2006, 10:01 AM
i definitely think he's a 1st rounder right now. as much as drew brees was. he could still slip to the top of the 2nd as it stands now, though. depending no who's drafting. but i see him going top 15-20 on draft day, after a potential championship run, senior bowl, and combine.

that being said, i hope OSU loses from here on out and he goes undrafted.

:sidelol: Camon now that wont happen.