PDA

View Full Version : Think this kid's in some trouble?

Pagan
11-01-2006, 11:34 AM
He's an idiot. He has a set of stones on him, but he's an idiot. Absolutely AMAZED that his parents are defending this. What's he gunna do next year, dress as Osama? :shakeno:

Heil O'Ween

BROOKLYN HS GIVES BOY DAS BOOT FOR SICK-OR-TREAT

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

November 1, 2006

A student at a Brooklyn high school named for a prominent Jewish educator faced a blitzkrieg of trouble yesterday when he arrived dressed as Adolf Hitler for Halloween.

Walter Petryk, 16, insisted his masquerade was a lampoon of the Nazi dictator - but administrators at Leon M. Goldstein HS declared autumn for Hitler and detained Petryk as their "prisoner of war."

The junior honors student, who grew a moustache for the occasion, was pulled out of his second-period English class and told to remove his beige coat bearing a red swastika armband or risk spending the day in the of fice.

"Excuse me, fuhrer, can I talk to you for a minute?" is how Petryk recalled the dean, Paul Puglia, summoning him out of class.

Puglia then allegedly asked, "Are you out of your mind, you idiot?" and ordered him to the office with, "Consider yourself my prisoner of war."

Petryk said he understood the concerns of administrators that faculty members had lost relatives in the Holocaust. But he maintained the costume was a parody protected under his right to free expression, and refused to take it off.

"I figured somebody would say something eventually, but I really do believe that people have a right to express themselves," said Petryk, an aspiring comedy writer who counts Mel Brooks, "Weird Al" Yankovic and the Monty Python cast among his idols.

His mother and stepfather, who is Jewish and lost ancestors in the Nazi genocide, defended Petryk's stance. They rebuffed pleas by the dean to advise their son to remove the costume so he could return to class.

"This is a matter of artistic free expression and a school not being stupid," said his mother, Diane Petryk- Bloom, who picked her son up at school. "[The dean is] offended by a parody of Hitler - and he's acting like Hitler."

Petryk's stepfather is Howard Bloom, a journalist whose book, "The Lucifer Principle," has been targeted by censors who accuse it of being anti-Islam. Bloom said he bristled at the thought of Walter being censored, even though he was initially "very disturbed" by the Halloween getup.

"If he had wanted to advocate my genocide, I wouldn't have allowed [the costume]," Bloom said. "That wasn't the spirit in which he was doing this at all. He was doing it in the spirit of Monty Python and Mel Brooks."

City Department of Education spokesman Keith Kalb said school administrators "followed appropriate procedures" after receiving "several complaints from offended students and staff."

The department's discipline code states that students who wear clothing deemed disruptive to the educational process may be removed from class.

Petryk said he was a hit with his peers, who clamored for photos of him as the fascist tyrant. "The first class I went to, everybody was laughing," he said.

Students had mixed reactions to the outfit.

"Why would you come as something that is supposed to offend people?" asked junior Dean Waterlan, 16. "It's not cute, it's not cool. I think the school was right."

My Bui, 16, a senior, said, "I thought it was funny, but a lot of people didn't like it."

Petryk said he didn't set out to push the envelope as Hitler. But he acknowledged that he made a decision to disguise himself as Charlie Chaplin with a bowler hat and cane on his way to school to avoid ruffling feathers on the street.

"I wasn't going to get on the subway in a Hitler costume," Petryk said.

Alex44
11-01-2006, 11:39 AM
I dont think there is anything wrong with it. Its Halloween dress however you want.

Now if he started saying racist things etc that would be a problem IMO

Pagan
11-01-2006, 11:40 AM
I dont think there is anything wrong with it. Its Halloween dress however you want.

Now if he started saying racist things etc that would be a problem IMO
You're right, nothing at all wrong with dressing like a man who ordered the death of 6 million Jews.....at a high school named after a prominant Jewish educator. :rolleyes:

rafael
11-01-2006, 11:41 AM
I agree with the kid and the parents. While it's not a costume I would choose to wear, he has the right.

Motion
11-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Smart kid http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Alex44
11-01-2006, 11:44 AM
You're right, nothing at all wrong with dressing like a man who ordered the death of 6 million Jews.....at a high school named after a prominant Jewish educator. :rolleyes:

People dress as George Bush and he's a murderer as well, although not in the same sense.

People dress as OJ Simpson and he killed a woman

The kid has no intent on killing Jews, he was harmless, its his right to dress however he wants on HALLOWEEN, when your allowed to dress like that.

If he came to school everyday dressed like Hitler that would be a problem.

Besides the kid himself is Jewish

DeathStar
11-01-2006, 11:48 AM
its wrong, but its legal because of the good ol' amendment number 1. he can sue and will win the lawsuit. school just lost lots of money with this.

Pagan
11-01-2006, 11:54 AM
People dress as George Bush and he's a murderer as well, although not in the same sense.
You're right Alex...Bush performed experiments and skinned people alive to make lampshades out of them, then buried them all in mass graves by bulldozing over the bodies. Oh yea, he put them in ovens too!

Stop being a parrot to what other people are saying and think for yourself. That was a ridiculous analogy.

People dress as OJ Simpson and he killed a woman
One woman vs. 6 million people....yea, that's about equal. :shakeno:

Like I said before, since it's harmless maybe next year he can go stand down at Ground Zero dressed as Osama. After all, he's not going to fly any planes into the buildings, right? It's harmless!

The kid has no intent on killing Jews, he was harmless, its his right to dress however he wants on HALLOWEEN, when your allowed to dress like that.
No one said he was intending on killing Jews, but if I went to that school and any of my family died at his hands, the kid would have no teeth.

Besides the kid himself is Jewish
What does that mean? That somehow justifies it? Holy ****. :shakeno:

Stitches
11-01-2006, 12:08 PM
You're right Alex...Bush performed experiments and skinned people alive to make lampshades out of them, then buried them all in mass graves by bulldozing over the bodies. Oh yea, he put them in ovens too!

Stop being a parrot to what other people are saying and think for yourself. That was a ridiculous analogy.

Like I said before, since it's harmless maybe next year he can go stand down at Ground Zero dressed as Osama. After all, he's not going to fly any planes into the buildings, right? It's harmless!

No one said he was intending on killing Jews, but if I went to that school and any of my family died at his hands, the kid would have no teeth.

(I unbolded the part I'm referring to.)

I'm not saying the kid was right or wrong at this point, but it should in fact be harmless to go to "ground zero" dressed as someone of Middle-eastern decent.

Timmy54
11-01-2006, 12:12 PM
wow pagan is on a rant. Weather you kill one or 6 mil, you are still a murderer. Jeffrey Daumher (sp?) killed a few in his day and ate them, because he didnt reach the milion mark thats means he is less of a monster than Hitler. The kid unfortuanatley has the right to wear this outfit. It sounds like he was making fun of hitler but just didnt pull it off very well. I also agree he should have been booted from school because of the uproar the costume would make in a jewish center of any kind.

Nappy Roots
11-01-2006, 12:13 PM

I'm not saying the kid was right or wrong at this point, but it should in fact be harmless to go to "ground zero" dressed as someone of Middle-eastern decent.

how exactly is that harmless? your telling me its harmless to the people that lost their loved ones on 9-11? theres plenty of harm.

Pagan
11-01-2006, 12:25 PM

First of all, I didn't say "someone of Middle-eastern descent", I said Osama himself. And that's very easy of you to say from Ohio. Why don't you go to lower Manhattan and walk up to people and tell them that.

I'd LOVE to see the reaction you'd get. :wink:

how exactly is that harmless? your telling me its harmless to the people that lost their loved ones on 9-11? theres plenty of harm.
Exactly, I love how "harmless" people think things are until it affects them personally.

Maybe all those defending this kid's right to wear that costume would think twice if their grandparents were stuffed into an oven or skinned alive. :shakeno:

wow pagan is on a rant. Weather you kill one or 6 mil, you are still a murderer. Jeffrey Daumher (sp?) killed a few in his day and ate them, because he didnt reach the milion mark thats means he is less of a monster than Hitler.
Want to know the difference, Timmy?

How many people you know are named Jeffrey? Probably a few. There are LOTS of people named Jeffrey.

How many you know named Adolf or have the surname Hitler? People who had that surname changed it. The man was so evil that his name was basically stricken from existence.

Bet you don't find too many "Debbie Hitler"s in the phone book these days, but you'll find more than a few "Dahmer"s.

HolliFinFan
11-01-2006, 12:30 PM
its wrong, but its legal because of the good ol' amendment number 1. he can sue and will win the lawsuit. school just lost lots of money with this.

Unlikely, unless the district doesn't have a clause in its Code and Conduct book which prevents disruptive clothing. I can't imagine NYC schools do not.
Many people don't agree with this; however, in many cases the First Amendment is not applicable in many situations in public high schools. For example: locker searches, drug-sniffing dogs, profanity in certain situations, etc...I could go on and on...

ch19079
11-01-2006, 12:35 PM
if a person can go to class dressed as satin and its ok, then i dont see why someone couldnt come to class as hitler.

the students and dean seemed to find it offensive but still joked and laughed about it. that tells me that they didnt think it was all that wrong. and the simple fact that his parents are jewish makes it ok.

if a known racist skin head came to class dressed like that it would be a little diffrent, but it seems that almost everyone got the joke, but he was told to change anyway.

Timmy54
11-01-2006, 12:36 PM
not to get on you or anything pagan (anagram for people against god and normalcy used by cults??), but Adolf was a very popular name in germany at the time. now it is kind of looked down upon because of hitler but there are many people of german decent that have adolf somewhere in their family tree.

as for hitler, a lot of his relatives ended up changing their surnames to protect themselves after world war 2. but i bet you dollar to donuts (what does that mean??) that the are a bunch of osamas and a whole heck of a lot of bin laudens.

HolliFinFan
11-01-2006, 12:40 PM
if a person can go to class dressed as satin and its ok, then i dont see why someone couldnt come to class as hitler.

the students and dean seemed to find it offensive but still joked and laughed about it. that tells me that they didnt think it was all that wrong. and the simple fact that his parents are jewish makes it ok.

if a known racist skin head came to class dressed like that it would be a little diffrent, but it seems that almost everyone got the joke, but he was told to change anyway.

Think about this for a minute. Are you saying that the rules should be individualized by student?

ch19079
11-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Maybe all those defending this kid's right to wear that costume would think twice if their grandparents were stuffed into an oven or skinned alive. :shakeno:
the kids parents are jewish and did lose relatives during that time. they seemed to think it was ok.

it would be one thing if he came to class dressed as a burn victom wearing a yellow star on his partially burned prison camp shirt. but he didnt.

mor911
11-01-2006, 12:44 PM
What's he gunna do next year, dress as Osama? :shakeno:

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showpost.php?p=1061431714&postcount=3

:mor911:

ch19079
11-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Think about this for a minute. Are you saying that the rules should be individualized by student? they say he was pulled from class because his costume was being disruptive. i dont buy it.

he walks in, everyone is like WTF, they laugh, comment a bit, then get back to work. they said the students were laughing and even the dean's comments seemed to be in jest.

fact is they pulled him from class because they disagreed with what he chose to wear to class that day, not because it was "disruptive". you have to expect some distraction if you are going to allow any kind of costume to be worn on that day, but thats all part of the fun. its been happening for decades and we all managed to get throught the day ok.

they should have just shook their heads and not make such a big deal out of it.

Pagan
11-01-2006, 12:46 PM
not to get on you or anything pagan (anagram for people against god and normalcy used by cults??)
Dude, I won't even lower myself to comment on that. :shakeno:

greatwade
11-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Dude, I won't even lower myself to comment on that. :shakeno:

agreed. Also with your posts.

Yes the kid has a right to offend thousands. I also have a right to offend him right back, possibly even scare the **** out of him, possibly degrade his entire family and everything and person he holds dear. But sometimes, as the awesome guy in the movie Big Trouble said, you man have the RIGHT to do many things, but MANNERS should direct you NOT too. Halloween or not.

After all, I could very well fart in this kids face and avoid assualt charges couldn't I??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paganism

and do read up, Timmah. it's actually derived in latin from 'civilian' or 'country dweller'. Careful what you stake a claim to as NORMAL. You freaking Weirdo.

Motion
11-01-2006, 12:54 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paganism

and do read up, Timmah. it's actually derived in latin from 'civilian' or 'country dweller'. Careful what you stake a claim to as NORMAL. You freaking Weirdo.

Timmah http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

HolliFinFan
11-01-2006, 12:56 PM
they say he was pulled from class because his costume was being disruptive. i dont buy it.

he walks in, everyone is like WTF, they laugh, comment a bit, then get back to work. they said the students were laughing and even the dean's comments seemed to be in jest.

fact is they pulled him from class because they disagreed with what he chose to wear to class that day, not because it was "disruptive". you have to expect some distraction if you are going to allow any kind of costume to be worn on that day, but thats all part of the fun. its been happening for decades and we all managed to get throught the day ok.

DAQ

greatwade
11-01-2006, 12:59 PM
DAQ

hey that's my p0rno initials.

Double Anal Queen! Awesome.

Nappy Roots
11-01-2006, 01:06 PM
they say he was pulled from class because his costume was being disruptive. i dont buy it.

love how you seem to know the actual facts of what happend in that class....

Timmy54
11-01-2006, 01:09 PM
i was refering to the use of pagan as an anagram by some cults for devil worship and found it ironic the poster uses this as his online name as he is bashing someone dressed as hitler. funny huh! I also do know the definition as a religious term. Wade, again you missed the point. As for pagan, he is attacking everyone with an opinion on the matter and i thought i would at least point out the irony of his chosen screen name vs the name calling! I did not call anyone anything just pointed out the use of pagan has been used for other things.

Timmy54
11-01-2006, 01:10 PM
i am a weirdo by the way, and f U on the normal crap!!! haa aha

WharfRat
11-01-2006, 01:10 PM
not to get on you or anything pagan (anagram for people against god and normalcy used by cults??),

you're kidding... right?

Paganism IS a religion.

"Against God" would apply to Islam, Hindu, etc...etc.....
"normalcy" as defined by what?
cults? no dude... you've been misinformed.

Timmy54
11-01-2006, 01:13 PM
read my later post till you go off, and it has been used by cults as an anagram meaning devil worship!!! You guys need to get out more.

WharfRat
11-01-2006, 01:13 PM
i was refering to the use of pagan as an anagram by some cults for devil worship and found it ironic the poster uses this as his online name as he is bashing someone dressed as hitler. funny huh! I also do know the definition as a religious term. Wade, again you missed the point. As for pagan, he is attacking everyone with an opinion on the matter and i thought i would at least point out the irony of his chosen screen name vs the name calling! I did not call anyone anything just pointed out the use of pagan has been used for other things.

Paganism is not devil worship Bro.....

Timmy54
11-01-2006, 01:16 PM
AGAIN FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT READ!! The word PAGAN has been used by cults in the past as an anagram for People Against God and Normalcy! I was not saying there is not a pagan term in religion, i was pointing out that there are other uses for the word that i found ironic with his posting about this costume.

greatwade
11-01-2006, 01:19 PM
AGAIN FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT READ!! The word PAGAN has been used by cults in the past as an anagram for People Against God and Normalcy! I was not saying there is not a pagan term in religion, i was pointing out that there are other uses for the word that i found ironic with his posting about this costume.

and I use the term chimmichanga for my junk. so? Do you have a flippin point?

Wade, again you missed the point.

that was my first post in the thread.

stoopid, confused, or are you messin w/ me again, you magnificent bastig!

Pagan
11-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Timmy, I can't believe you could post something this stupid.

Maybe you should do some research into WHO used it for other things. Satan worshipers don't call themselves Pagans. Stop watching the movies. The only people who used the term to promote something evil were early Christians who wanted to convert Pagans, and did so by making the general population believe they were evil.

I also love how whenever a counter argument is being presented, it's immediately referred to as "attacking". Are we all wussies in here or something? It's called a discussion. Toughen up. If you don't want any rebuttals to your opinions, keep them to yourself. Everyone has the right to their opinion, just as everyone has the right to counter that opinion. I didn't say that anyone didn't have the right to their belief, but **** me man, I have the right to disagree.

And how is it ironic that Pagan is my screen name? The word Pagan stands for a peace-loving, nature based religion, and was warped by OTHERS.

What exactly did Hitler do for humanity that was good, and how was he only maligned by OTHERS?

In order for it to be irony, there has to be some connection. There is none here, so you might want to learn the defnition of the word before brandishing it? :wink:

HolliFinFan
11-01-2006, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=greatwade]hey that's my p0rno initials.

Fantastic. I'll add that to your promo dossier, DF Wade. ;)

greatwade
11-01-2006, 01:21 PM
and it's

People Against Goodness And Normalcy

anyway

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/11/dragnet25-1.jpeg

Timmy54
11-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Pagan, i too was just stating an opion, and mine was that it is funny that your screen name has been used by cults and you are very against this kids idea of getting attention. I never said your name didnt have other meanings, actually later on i said it has many meanings. I am not upset about your attacking everyone, but you were being demeaning to people who had an opposing view point. Now you want to bash me cause i find your name ironic with your stance on this issue. funny huh. Oh and by the way, my post was a tad to smart for you obviously to get it the first few times, you might never get the irony but that is ok. I also find it ironic that there is a band with the same name who use the anagram as their name and you are also into music/are in or were in a perfroming band. Thats kind of ironic to me as well.

By the way, i didnt call you anything! stop taking it so personally. There was once a serial killer in England with my full name and I am not crying about it!

Amars
11-01-2006, 01:37 PM
I dont think that because he's dress up as hitler that bother Pagan. But the fact that he throwing in face of the Jews by wearing it to a Jewish school. It bother me too and also that the parents would condone it I just done understand the message they are trying to send. Im sure that if would of wore the costume to a halloween party this wouldnt be news.

Timmy54
11-01-2006, 01:39 PM
I don't it the fact the he's dress up as hitler that bother Pagan. But the fact that he throwing in face of the Jews by wearing it to a Jewish school. It bother me too and also that the parents would condone it I just done understand the message they are trying to send. Im sure that if would of wore the costume to a halloween party this wouldnt be news.

I think the wearing it to a jewish school was where he went way over the line and it was probably best they made him change.

greatwade
11-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Pagan, i too was just stating an opion, and mine was that it is funny that your screen name has been used by cults and you are very against this kids idea of getting attention. I never said your name didnt have other meanings, actually later on i said it has many meanings. I am not upset about your attacking everyone, but you were being demeaning to people who had an opposing view point. Now you want to bash me cause i find your name ironic with your stance on this issue. funny huh. Oh and by the way, my post was a tad to smart for you obviously to get it the first few times, you might never get the irony but that is ok. I also find it ironic that there is a band with the same name who use the anagram as their name and you are also into music/are in or were in a perfroming band. Thats kind of ironic to me as well.

By the way, i didnt call you anything! stop taking it so personally. There was once a serial killer in England with my full name and I am not crying about it!

your real name is Jack the Ripper?

that's awesome.

Pagan
11-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Oh and by the way, my post was a tad to smart for you obviously to get it the first few times, you might never get the irony but that is ok. I also find it ironic that there is a band with the same name who use the anagram as their name and you are also into music/are in or were in a perfroming band. Thats kind of ironic to me as well.
Okay Tim...now I'm not smart enough for your original post? A person should make sure they understand the definition of a word themselves before they state someone isn't smart enough to understand their misuse of the word. :wink:

You're giving examples of "coincidence", not "irony".

Irony would be a diabetic getting hit by a truck that was delivering his insulin to the drug store.

Or someone telling someone else that they're not smart enough to understand them when they aren't smart enough to understand what they're talking about in the first place. :D

Also, it would only be ironic if I used the word for another meaning. I don't, therefore it's not ironic.

WharfRat
11-01-2006, 01:55 PM

Perhaps before implying that I don't read.... you should research what Paganism is...

ch19079
11-01-2006, 02:10 PM
DAQ
i type all that out explaining my position and opinion and you respond by calling me an idiot. :shakeno:

Pagan
11-01-2006, 02:12 PM
i type all that out explaining my position and opinion and you respond by calling me an idiot. :shakeno:
Maybe I'm missing something, but what does "DAQ" mean? :lol: :goof:

Timmy54
11-01-2006, 02:26 PM
pagan, you called me stupid, i just responded. also, i did not try to define the word as the online definitions i have found go on for pages. As yes it is ironic someone is using a word some cultitst have used for devilworship is lashing out against a hitler costume! That is irony! also it is a coincidence there is a band that uses that name.

Again i didnt not use the term incorrectly, i refered to it being used as an anogram, if you guys dont get it, dont blame me.

Pagan
11-01-2006, 02:31 PM
pagan, you called me stupid, i just responded. also, i did not try to define the word as the online definitions i have found go on for pages. As yes it is ironic someone is using a word some cultitst have used for devilworship is lashing out against a hitler costume! That is irony! also it is a coincidence there is a band that uses that name.

Again i didnt not use the term incorrectly, i refered to it being used as an anogram, if you guys dont get it, dont blame me.
I dind't call you stupid, I said that what you said was stupid. Smart people CAN say stupid things sometimes.

And you STILL don't get it, and probably never will. The word when used by cultists is PERVERTED from it's original intent. NO true Pagan will use the word in that context, NO Pagan is a cultist, nor are they involved in cult practices, so it has absolutely ZERO meaning to me in that light.

Therefore - yet AGAIN - it cannot be ironic.

If tomorrow I decide that the word Christian means child rapist, will that mean that's what the word stands for? (P.S. - no offense to Christians...just using an equally ridiculous premise to prove a point.)

Be real man.

Timmy54
11-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Perhaps before implying that I don't read.... you should research what Paganism is...

i dont need to research it, i wasnt talking about it, all i said was that some cults have used the word pagan as an anagram. again, you did not read my other posts so i will give you this one as another definition that I DID NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT PAGANS except it could be used as an anagram

Motion
11-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Give it up Timmah, fighting a lost cause.

Timmy54
11-01-2006, 02:35 PM
i have to right to find things funny, and i will stand up for that right, and this is funny!!!!

Pagan
11-01-2006, 02:35 PM
i dont need to research it, i wasnt talking about it, all i said was that some cults have used the word pagan as an anagram. again, you did not read my other posts so i will give you this one as another definition that I DID NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT PAGANS except it could be used as an anagram
Some idiots also say the rock band KISS stands for "Kings In Satan's Service".

Isn't true.

Motion
11-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Some idiots also say the rock band KISS stands for "Kings In Satan's Service".

Isn't true.

I always thought it was Kids In Scary Suits

Hmm.. Learn something new everyday.

Timmy54
11-01-2006, 02:38 PM
i didnt say it was true pagan, and i didnt say you were a cultist or whatever, just thought it funny!

Timmy54
11-01-2006, 02:38 PM
I always thought it was Kids In Scary Suits

Hmm.. Learn something new everyday.:sidelol:

WharfRat
11-01-2006, 02:44 PM
OK.... I think everyone should just move along here.....
back on topic please.

BTW ... I thought everyone knew that K I S S stood for

Knights
In
Soiled
Skivvies

HolliFinFan
11-01-2006, 02:48 PM

:confused: DAQ = Didn't answer the question...thought it was common. Go back to what I asked you and look at your response.

greatwade
11-01-2006, 02:54 PM
:confused: DAQ = Didn't answer the question...thought it was common. Go back to what I asked you and look at your response.

for the record, I figured it out.

It just also happened to be my love handle.

ch19079
11-01-2006, 02:59 PM
:confused: DAQ = Didn't answer the question...thought it was common. Go back to what I asked you and look at your response. where im from DaQ = "Someone who is an idiot" or a "dumb ***".

i went back and read your post and i see what your saying. but it is the way of the world today. a jewish person can dress as hitler and its funny and done in a mocking way, but if a white skin head does it its not funny and may cause a serious distraction to the class. the same way a black comidian can make fun of white people, while a white person can not joke about black people.

what happend in this case was a jewish kid dressing up as hitler and most of the people found it funny. he should not have been asked to leave/change.

Motion
11-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Hmmm..... I was thinking Dumb A** Question http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

greatwade
11-01-2006, 03:02 PM
I was ranking the idiots.

HolliFinFan
11-01-2006, 03:06 PM
where im from DaQ = "Someone who is an idiot" or a "dumb ***".

but going back... i believe you commented that the school rules should not be applied to each student on a case by case basis (unless i misunderstood).

and in that i somewhat agree. i was simply pointing out that from what i read in the article, it seemed that the rules agenst wearing clothes that create a distraction in class should not have been used as an excuse to remove the kid from class. they singled the kid out because they didnt like his costume. (or thats what it looks like to me). thats what i think was wrong.

Where are you from? And what does the acronym stand for?

No, I did not make that comment, though I'd agree. You implied that it would be okay for a student of Jewish descent to dress as Hitler on Halloween but not a skinhead. I asked you to consider if rules of a school should be applied individualistically. Your response didn't address that. I've been reading this whole thread. I'm well aware of your position on this.

ch19079
11-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Where are you from? And what does the acronym stand for?

No, I did not make that comment, though I'd agree. You implied that it would be okay for a student of Jewish descent to dress as Hitler on Halloween but not a skinhead. I asked you to consider if rules of a school should be applied individualistically. Your response didn't address that. I've been reading this whole thread. I'm well aware of your position on this. i just finished editing my post, i guess i type to slow. :(

HolliFinFan
11-01-2006, 03:16 PM
i just finished editing my post, i guess i type to slow. :(

Okay, I read the edit. Your opinion.

I still don't know what words DAQ represent in your area, as acronyms are in all caps, to indicate specific words. I used all caps, so since there's the absence of an "I," I don't get why you inferred I meant idiot.

I've pondered stranger things before though...:lol:

ch19079
11-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Okay, I read the edit. Your opinion.

I still don't know what words DAQ represent in your area, as acronyms are in all caps, to indicate specific words. I used all caps, so since there's the absence of an "I," I don't get why you inferred I meant idiot.

I've pondered stranger things before though...:lol:

well, im guessing it started off as short hand for "Dumb *** Question" and then evolved to mean "Dumb ***". and from Dumb *** i made it nice and said idiot. :wink:

HolliFinFan
11-01-2006, 03:29 PM
well, im guessing it started off as short hand for "Dumb *** Question" and then evolved to mean "Dumb ***". and from Dumb *** i made it nice and said idiot. :wink:

Well, okay, but still, *I* asked the question ;) I equate that, by your explanation, as my calling myself an idiot. :lol:

Holli out.

greatwade
11-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Well, okay, but still, *I* asked the question ;) I equate that, by your explanation, as my calling myself an idiot. :lol:

Holli out.

you didn't rank all that high,
but i accept bribes

Timmy54
11-01-2006, 04:49 PM
this thread as gotten off track thanks to acroynems.

come the MILF, i got something to show you

so what i can not spell.

Stitches
11-01-2006, 04:59 PM
First of all, I didn't say "someone of Middle-eastern descent", I said Osama himself. And that's very easy of you to say from Ohio. Why don't you go to lower Manhattan and walk up to people and tell them that.

I'd LOVE to see the reaction you'd get. :wink:

Exactly, I love how "harmless" people think things are until it affects them personally.

Want to know the difference, Timmy?

How many people you know are named Jeffrey? Probably a few. There are LOTS of people named Jeffrey.

How many you know named Adolf or have the surname Hitler? People who had that surname changed it. The man was so evil that his name was basically stricken from existence.

Bet you don't find too many "Debbie Hitler"s in the phone book these days, but you'll find more than a few "Dahmer"s.

I know you said Osama specifically. But I bet if someone just dressed up like someone from the middle east, and had a beard similar to Osama's, they would automatically assume they were trying to look like Osama, when that might not be the case(heck, if it weren't halloween, the person might just naturally look like him when they have a beard). And there are plenty of people of middle eastern decent all over the country. That doesn't mean they had anything to do with the attacks on the twin towers. That's why I said it should be pretty much "harmless." And I get what you are saying too, I know it's not harmless, I said it should be though. I get you were saying it to emphasize how "out of place" I am, but the Ohio comment was kind of unnessecarry.

Stitches
11-01-2006, 05:02 PM

Not all people who are of middle eastern descent had something to do with "9-11." You're condeming a whole lot of people for the actions a very small minority did, by saying there is plenty of harm to show up at "ground zero" looking like someone dressed like a middle eastern.

HolliFinFan
11-01-2006, 05:11 PM
you didn't rank all that high,
but i accept bribes

uh huh. I've always wanted that certificate on my wall.

HolliFinFan
11-01-2006, 05:12 PM
this thread as gotten off track thanks to acroynems.

come the MILF, i got something to show you

so what i can not spell.

Actually, it was quite related. I was trying to point out that the same rights that apply to the population at large are not parallel to those within a school, and that teen anarchy is quite possible if that is not the case.

greatwade
11-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Actually, it was quite related. I was trying to point out that the same rights that apply to the population at large are not parallel to those within a school, and that teen anarchy is quite possible if that is not the case.

that's hawt. Think it'll be just like the Pink Floyd song, or Beastie Boys, or maybe even Alice Cooper?

I'm working on your certificate btw. :hi5:

HolliFinFan
11-01-2006, 05:23 PM
that's hawt. Think it'll be just like the Pink Floyd song, or Beastie Boys, or maybe even Alice Cooper?

I'm working on your certificate btw. :hi5:

Pink Floyd :yes:

:rocker: for the certificate.

Slappy8800
11-01-2006, 05:24 PM
i dont have a problem with it..i say kudos to him for having the cajones to wear that

PrepDogg
11-01-2006, 05:25 PM
That kid lack's common sense. Especially in a school named for a Jewish Leader. :tsk:

greatwade
11-01-2006, 05:26 PM
That kid's lack's common sense. Especially in a school named for a Jewish Leader. :tsk:

he's a' flipp'n mor'on al'right :tongue:

PrepDogg
11-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Pink Floyd :yes:

:rocker: for the certificate.

Pink Floyd Rulez! :bong2:

Roman529
11-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Who does this guy think he is? Prince Harry? :lol:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/11/prince_harry_nazi-1.jpg

miamikid92
11-01-2006, 06:13 PM

What does that mean? That somehow justifies it? Holy ****. :shakeno::yeahthat: on everything you said..

Pagan
11-01-2006, 06:23 PM
I get you were saying it to emphasize how "out of place" I am, but the Ohio comment was kind of unnessecarry.
That comment wasn't meant as an insult. What I meant by that is that if you said something like that IN New York you'd probably get beaten. :lol:

Didn't mean it as an insult to Ohio. We're just a little bit more touchy over here in NY about 9/11, ya know? :wink:

BigDogsHunt
11-01-2006, 06:46 PM

I think you mean acronym:

1. A word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words, as Wac from Women's Army Corps, OPEC from Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, or loran from long-range navigation.

....not anagram

1. A word, phrase, or sentence formed from another by rearranging its letters: “Angel” is an anagram of “glean.”

HolliFinFan
11-01-2006, 08:58 PM
That comment wasn't meant as an insult. What I meant by that is that if you said something like that IN New York you'd probably get beaten. :lol:

Didn't mean it as an insult to Ohio. We're just a little bit more touchy over here in NY about 9/11, ya know? :wink:

Hi, Pagan. I gotta ya on that. Also, I appreciate your explaining the difference between coincidence and irony--not an easy thing to do. As a side note, if you have any other analogies explaining the difference between irony and paradox, please share, whenever topic is appropriate. These concepts are so difficult for kids to understand. In your next life, you could be a great teacher. ;)

I find this thread so interesting for many reasons, the foremost being those who grasp inference, and those who simply look for the negative. I'd also like to add to your post that 11 million were killed in the Holocaust; you were correct that six million were Jews. This kid not only insulted Jews, but Catholics, gypsies, gentiles who were assumed Jewish, and even Nuns, who tried to protect Jewish children. There are so many more victims. It was an atrocity that defies any logic or symbolistic meaning or continuing representation. To this day, Germany is beyond apologetic, and in other cultures, this discussion would not be taking place. People of conscience simply do not do these things. Europeans get it.

This kid, supported by his parents, was looking for shock reaction, which is not uncommon in teens. He'd not have done it, if he'd not known his parents were supporting him, most likely looking to sue the system or make a name. Maybe they're looking for publicity, maybe they're looking for money. I don't so much fault the teen as I do the parents who supported it. But, in my life experience, this will bite them in the azz too. Can you imagine them drumming up support for this? They'll be ostracized from the community for even deigning to emulate Hitler, if the roots of this story are true.

It's an unfortunate story which happens too often in the news. Personally, I'd rather the press focus on the GREAT things kids do, which are too much to count.

I guess it's easier to focus on an attention-getting Hitler "not wannabe" in Brooklyn :shakeno:

Alex44
11-01-2006, 09:05 PM

This has to be the stupidest post Ive ever seen you make.

First off whether you kill one or one thousand people you are equally as evil, your allowed to dress however you want, your allowed to SAY whatever you want. If he wants to dress as Osama next year more power to him.

Freedom.Of.Speech
Freedom.Of.Dress
Freedom.Of.Expression

You cant take that away because YOU dont like something

Stitches
11-01-2006, 09:14 PM

I understand, and I understood. That's why I was sure I always used the word should/shouldn't rather than is/isn't. I realize the difference between perception and reality. And I don't think the kid was at all in the right for doing what he did, and even if it was freedom of expression, he went against the school dress code by wearing something that "caused a disturbance" or however they worded it.

Alex44
11-01-2006, 09:18 PM
I understand, and I understood. That's why I was sure I always used the word should/shouldn't rather than is/isn't. I realize the difference between perception and reality. And I don't think the kid was at all in the right for doing what he did, and even if it was freedom of expression, he went against the school dress code by wearing something that "caused a disturbance" or however they worded it.

That isnt the point at all anymore.

Pagan seems to be questioning his right to dress like that at ANY time.

Stitches
11-01-2006, 09:23 PM
That isnt the point at all anymore.

Pagan seems to be questioning his right to dress like that at ANY time.

Well I didn't read what Pagan wrote, except in regards to my comment. So I'm going to refrain from comment with your argument.

HolliFinFan
11-01-2006, 09:29 PM

First off whether you kill one or one thousand people you are equally as evil, your allowed to dress however you want, your allowed to SAY whatever you want. If he wants to dress as Osama next year more power to him.

Freedom.Of.Speech
Freedom.Of.Dress
Freedom.Of.Expression

Alex, you're so young that I can't address this as I'd like. That is not to be condescending, yet IMO you're just trying to rile things up. I know that what you're professing is not gold in the Broward Schools system. Let me just comment that your comments neither reflect the reality of the accepted standards of expression nor expression allowed in your county's rules in schools. You know that, especially if you live and go to school in Hollywood.

On another note, I think it's a positive to challenge ideologic positions. Wisdom is choosing which ones to challenge, IMO.

Alex44
11-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Alex, you're so young that I can't address this as I'd like. That is not to be condescending, yet IMO you're just trying to rile things up. I know that what you're professing is not gold in the Broward Schools system. Let me just comment that your comments neither reflect the reality of the accepted standards of expression nor expression allowed in your county's rules in schools. You know that, especially if you live and go to school in Hollywood.

On another note, I think it's a positive to challenge ideologic positions. Wisdom is choosing which ones to challenge, IMO.

My point is you can dress however you want. Thats the only point I am looking to make, and maybe its against the schools dress code and thats fine. Pagan seems to be saying that he shouldnt dress like that anywhere at all, and I cant agree with that. On Halloween of all days someone would say he has no right to wear any costume he would like? How is that fair.

Again I'm not saying in school.

HolliFinFan
11-01-2006, 09:54 PM
My point is you can dress however you want. Thats the only point I am looking to make, and maybe its against the schools dress code and thats fine. Pagan seems to be saying that he shouldnt dress like that anywhere at all, and I cant agree with that. On Halloween of all days someone would say he has no right to wear any costume he would like? How is that fair.

Again I'm not saying in school.

But the kid's dressing out WAS in school. Alex, have you ever read Night, by Elie Wiesel. I think some background might help you understand why some of us find this form of "self expression" so vile. Some things are just not funny or accepted to those who are educated about the derivation.

If this occurred outside of school, wannabe, not wannebe Hitler would never have made the news at all, unless the faux Hitler in question was a celebrity, which he is not, but is certainly now a self-made one.

Alex, if your teachers don't teach Night by Elie Wiesel, do yourself a favor and at least watch a few Holocaust movies. I know Shindler's List is popular, but it's not as brutal as the actual events. But, watching that is better than nothing, if one if unaware of the true horrors of the Holocaust.

Alex44
11-01-2006, 09:59 PM
But the kid's dressing out WAS in school. Alex, have you ever read Night, by Elie Wiesel. I think some background might help you understand why some of us find this form of "self expression" so vile. Some things are just not funny or accepted to those who are educated about the derivation.

If this occurred outside of school, wannabe, not wannebe Hitler would never have made the news at all, unless the faux Hitler in question was a celebrity, which he is not, but is certainly now a self-made one.

Alex, if your teachers don't teach Night by Elie Wiesel, do yourself a favor and at least watch a few Holocaust movies. I know Shindler's List is popular, but it's not as brutal as the actual events. But, watching that is better than nothing, if one if unaware of the true horrors of the Holocaust.

I know all about the Holocaust, Im actually homeschooled so I know a lot of things most people my age dont.

I agree dressing like that in school is wrong if it causes a scene, If he gets in trouble for that its perfectly fine with me. But I will defend his right to wear that on Halloween in a public setting OTHER than school to the death.

I understand it took place in school, and Im not saying its okay for that setting, but I dont think he should be looked at as a bad kid or stupid, or even like he did a terrible thing by dressing as hitler.

Kids dress as Satan, I dont believe in God or Satan or anything, but you cant really get much more evil than that. I dont think someone should be offended by a costume is all Im saying.

HolliFinFan
11-01-2006, 10:17 PM
I know all about the Holocaust, Im actually homeschooled so I know a lot of things most people my age dont.

I agree dressing like that in school is wrong if it causes a scene, If he gets in trouble for that its perfectly fine with me. But I will defend his right to wear that on Halloween in a public setting OTHER than school to the death.

I understand it took place in school, and Im not saying its okay for that setting, but I dont think he should be looked at as a bad kid or stupid, or even like he did a terrible thing by dressing as hitler.

Kids dress as Satan, I dont believe in God or Satan or anything, but you cant really get much more evil than that. I dont think someone should be offended by a costume is all Im saying.

But, Alex, God and Satan are spiritual beings in which people believe or not, so it's not a valid analogy. Hitler was real. You know about the Holocaust; babies ripped from their mothers' arms, screaming, thrown up in the air and shot as target practice. Twins, operated on cruely, only to die by infection, people who literally has their skin removed and died so painfully. Millions, who died "taking a shower." Others, who weathered the horrific conditions but succumbed to typhus. Others, who were liberated, only to die soon because the liberating troops didn't know not to feed them so generously.

The evidence is still there in the camps...the scraping of their nails as they tried to escape the deadly gas.

As far as your choice in defending things to the death, well, we all have choices and rank things of importance. Thanks for the discussion, Alex.

Alex44
11-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Have you ever heard this saying, I forget where it is from

'While I dont agree with what your saying, I'll defend your right to say it to the death'

I guess thats basically how I feel about things, but anyway I see your point and how people would be offended

Stitches
11-01-2006, 10:36 PM
But, Alex, God and Satan are spiritual beings in which people believe or not, so it's not a valid analogy. Hitler was real. You know about the Holocaust; babies ripped from their mothers' arms, screaming, thrown up in the air and shot as target practice. Twins, operated on cruely, only to die by infection, people who literally has their skin removed and died so painfully. Millions, who died "taking a shower." Others, who weathered the horrific conditions but succumbed to typhus. Others, who were liberated, only to die soon because the liberating troops didn't know not to feed them so generously.

The evidence is still there in the camps...the scraping of their nails as they tried to escape the deadly gas.

As far as your choice in defending things to the death, well, we all have choices and rank things of importance. Thanks for the discussion, Alex.

To be fair, some people don't believe in the holocaust. I wish I were making that up, but some people really don't.

HolliFinFan
11-01-2006, 11:01 PM
To be fair, some people don't believe in the holocaust. I wish I were making that up, but some people really don't.

I don't think that's fair at all, Stitches. Not only is there physical evidence, but filmed evidence that the liberating troops made. I wish that in your wishing you were making it up that you wouldn't have even given that any type of credence. Yet, you did equate some type of "fairness." It's simply not there.

Alex44
11-01-2006, 11:09 PM
I don't think that's fair at all, Stitches. Not only is there physical evidence, but filmed evidence that the liberating troops made. I wish that in your wishing you were making it up that you wouldn't have even given that any type of credence. Yet, you did equate some type of "fairness." It's simply not there.

Totally Agree

There isnt physical evidence of god, or anything spiritual, but there is of the Holocaust.

So to compare them is pretty unfair actually.

Stitches
11-01-2006, 11:32 PM

I know there is proof the Holocaust happened. But there are people in the world that don't believe that it happened. Just like there are people that don't believe we landed on the moon despite evidence. I was merely saying that when you said God and Satan were things people believe in, people beleive or don't believe a lot of ridiculous things. Doesn't make it true. And no, the holocaust isn't something ridiculous, but rather a terrible atrocity in the world's history. I'm sorry for being so nitpicky about it, but that's just me.

Stitches
11-01-2006, 11:34 PM
Totally Agree

There isnt physical evidence of god, or anything spiritual, but there is of the Holocaust.

So to compare them is pretty unfair actually.

I know a lot of people that have argued with me, that said my existence was proof there was a God. In thier eyes, that would be physical evidence.

Alex44
11-01-2006, 11:38 PM
I know a lot of people that have argued with me, that said my existence was proof there was a God. In thier eyes, that would be physical evidence.

Thats not physical evidence though. It doesnt prove anything other than the fact that your there, which doesnt actually prove god is there in the least bit.

Human can exist without god, god cant exist without humans.

Stitches
11-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Thats not physical evidence though. It doesnt prove anything other than the fact that your there, which doesnt actually prove god is there in the least bit.

Human can exist without god, god cant exist without humans.

I know, I agree with you. I said to them that is physical evidence. Those few people that I know percieve thier existence as physical evidence.

Alex44
11-01-2006, 11:45 PM
I know, I agree with you. I said to them that is physical evidence. Those few people that I know percieve thier existence as physical evidence.

I know where they are coming from when saying that and understand it, but they dont see the flaws in thinking like that.

Its basically coincidental evidence in a murder case. To some people its real proof, and to others its just not.

All depends how you look at it

Stitches
11-01-2006, 11:49 PM
I know where they are coming from when saying that and understand it, but they dont see the flaws in thinking like that.

Its basically coincidental evidence in a murder case. To some people its real proof, and to others its just not.

All depends how you look at it
Which is the only reason I brought it up. If they don't see the flaws, then they don't know any better(not saying it makes that fact right or wrong). Which is the only reason I ever mentioned "fairness."

NJFINSFAN1
11-01-2006, 11:51 PM
He's an idiot. He has a set of stones on him, but he's an idiot. Absolutely AMAZED that his parents are defending this. What's he gunna do next year, dress as Osama? :shakeno:

Heil O'Ween

BROOKLYN HS GIVES BOY DAS BOOT FOR SICK-OR-TREAT

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/Blazeland/news004.jpg

November 1, 2006

A student at a Brooklyn high school named for a prominent Jewish educator faced a blitzkrieg of trouble yesterday when he arrived dressed as Adolf Hitler for Halloween.

Walter Petryk, 16, insisted his masquerade was a lampoon of the Nazi dictator - but administrators at Leon M. Goldstein HS declared autumn for Hitler and detained Petryk as their "prisoner of war."

The junior honors student, who grew a moustache for the occasion, was pulled out of his second-period English class and told to remove his beige coat bearing a red swastika armband or risk spending the day in the of fice.

"Excuse me, fuhrer, can I talk to you for a minute?" is how Petryk recalled the dean, Paul Puglia, summoning him out of class.

Puglia then allegedly asked, "Are you out of your mind, you idiot?" and ordered him to the office with, "Consider yourself my prisoner of war."

Petryk said he understood the concerns of administrators that faculty members had lost relatives in the Holocaust. But he maintained the costume was a parody protected under his right to free expression, and refused to take it off.

"I figured somebody would say something eventually, but I really do believe that people have a right to express themselves," said Petryk, an aspiring comedy writer who counts Mel Brooks, "Weird Al" Yankovic and the Monty Python cast among his idols.

His mother and stepfather, who is Jewish and lost ancestors in the Nazi genocide, defended Petryk's stance. They rebuffed pleas by the dean to advise their son to remove the costume so he could return to class.

"This is a matter of artistic free expression and a school not being stupid," said his mother, Diane Petryk- Bloom, who picked her son up at school. "[The dean is] offended by a parody of Hitler - and he's acting like Hitler."

Petryk's stepfather is Howard Bloom, a journalist whose book, "The Lucifer Principle," has been targeted by censors who accuse it of being anti-Islam. Bloom said he bristled at the thought of Walter being censored, even though he was initially "very disturbed" by the Halloween getup.

"If he had wanted to advocate my genocide, I wouldn't have allowed [the costume]," Bloom said. "That wasn't the spirit in which he was doing this at all. He was doing it in the spirit of Monty Python and Mel Brooks."

City Department of Education spokesman Keith Kalb said school administrators "followed appropriate procedures" after receiving "several complaints from offended students and staff."

The department's discipline code states that students who wear clothing deemed disruptive to the educational process may be removed from class.

Petryk said he was a hit with his peers, who clamored for photos of him as the fascist tyrant. "The first class I went to, everybody was laughing," he said.

Students had mixed reactions to the outfit.

"Why would you come as something that is supposed to offend people?" asked junior Dean Waterlan, 16. "It's not cute, it's not cool. I think the school was right."

My Bui, 16, a senior, said, "I thought it was funny, but a lot of people didn't like it."

Petryk said he didn't set out to push the envelope as Hitler. But he acknowledged that he made a decision to disguise himself as Charlie Chaplin with a bowler hat and cane on his way to school to avoid ruffling feathers on the street.

"I wasn't going to get on the subway in a Hitler costume," Petryk said.

Just plain stupid!!! I don't blame him, but his parents should be smacked upside the head a few times!

Alex44
11-01-2006, 11:52 PM
I get what you mean now, I actually did about halfway through this but I wasnt sure, Now I am.

Thats the great thing about thinking and life. You think you totally understand something, have a theory, everything is perfect....and boom something comes along and you find out your totally wrong or didnt see something and messed up everything else.

Its all about finding where you messed up....all the flaws in the way you were looking at it.

To me anyway, but then again Im weird :lol:

Stitches
11-01-2006, 11:54 PM
I get what you mean now, I actually did about halfway through this but I wasnt sure, Now I am.

Thats the great thing about thinking and life. You think you totally understand something, have a theory, everything is perfect....and boom something comes along and you find out your totally wrong or didnt see something and messed up everything else.

Its all about finding where you messed up....all the flaws in the way you were looking at it.

To me anyway, but then again Im weird :lol:

I'm very wierd. At least IMO I am.

Pagan
11-02-2006, 12:13 AM

Freedom.Of.Speech
Freedom.Of.Dress
Freedom.Of.Expression

First of all, I'll refrain from commenting on you saying my post was stupid due to your tender age and obvious lack of compassion for the suffering that wearing an outfit like that would cause to a VERY large amount of people.

First of all, I could give a rat's *** how the little ****head dresses. I'm not Jewish, nor do I have any ancestors who were killed due to him.

However, I feel compassion for the MILLIONS of people that it would highly offend. For every person killed by this monster, there is a family tree that sprung from them. Generations of people who the sight of someone dressed like that would bring nothing but heartache and painful memories.

Apparently, you care more for some snot-nosed punk's attempt to shock people than for the emotions of those who've had their ancestors brutalized. This speaks volumes of your character.

I hope you never have a family member killed, but I'd be curious to see if you'd be so lenient if you saw someone dressed as the person who killed them. Like I said, most people are all for freedom of speech, etc. etc. until it hits close to home.

I'm all for freedom of speech and expression, and I'll also defend people's right to such...but not when it causes pain to others.

Maybe when you grow up you'll understand that.

PrepDogg
11-02-2006, 12:17 AM
First of all, I'll refrain from commenting on you saying my post was stupid due to your tender age and obvious lack of compassion for the suffering that wearing an outfit like that would cause to a VERY large amount of people.

First of all, I could give a rat's *** how the little ****head dresses. I'm not Jewish, nor do I have any ancestors who were killed due to him.

However, I feel compassion for the MILLIONS of people that it would highly offend. For every person killed by this monster, there is a family tree that sprung from them. Generations of people who the sight of someone dressed like that would bring nothing but heartache and painful memories.

Apparently, you care more for some snot-nosed punk's attempt to shock people than for the emotions of those who've had their ancestors brutalized. This speaks volumes of your character.

I hope you never have a family member killed, but I'd be curious to see if you'd be so lenient if you saw someone dressed as the person who killed them. Like I said, most people are all for freedom of speech, etc. etc. until it hits close to home.

I'm all for freedom of speech and expression, and I'll also defend people's right to such...but not when it causes pain to others.

Excellent post.

NJFINSFAN1
11-02-2006, 12:20 AM

I really think the younger generation is losing sight of history. When we went to school you had to learn it all, from Caesar to the Monroe Doctrine to recent History. Being back in school now, my history teachers all complain about the lack of history knowledge the younger kids have. I mean, in my world Civ class, I sit in shock what some of these kids don't know. I guess its the new way, but its a shame that history is not taught to a higher standard in school, because we can really learn from some of the mistakes.

PrepDogg
11-02-2006, 12:22 AM
I really think the younger generation is losing sight of history. When we went to school you had to learn it all, from Caesar to the Monroe Doctrine to recent History. Being back in school now, my history teachers all complain about the lack of history knowledge the younger kids have. I mean, in my world Civ class, I sit in shock what some of these kids don't know. I guess its the new way, but its a shame that history is not taught to a higher standard in school, because we can really learn from some of the mistakes.

I agree. But then again I've always enjoyed history.

NJFINSFAN1
11-02-2006, 12:26 AM
I agree. But then again I've always enjoyed history.

I'm back in college to get my teachers degree in Phys Ed, but I'm enjoying history so much again, that I'm going for a history degree also, its killing me money wise, but its just so fascinating!! There are so many things you look into!

FinSinceBirth
11-02-2006, 12:27 AM
I'd like to say a few things on this matter.

We had a teamate of ours who was jewish, and he would always do these jewish jokes . He'd immitate the sterotypical old jewish man and then make holocaust jokes and such. While they were such awful and crude jokes, they were executed well and they were funny, probably because we're stupid teens and don't have any close firsthand experience in it. I only bring this up because it seemed like it was ok for him to make those jokes because it was his heritage. It would explain why his family would go along with it in the sense of humor (even though they should have known better).

Secondly, while the kid did it in jest I think what he did was a huge mistake. Pagan is right it was probably very offensive to many people. Especially some very Orthodox jews (is there such thing, i'm not quite sure) and especially it was in a school named after a jewish person. BUT, technically he has the right to free speech. Even if something is wrong or dissentful or w/e it is allowed to be expressed, but depending on the circumstance a higher authority may intervene (police, principal w/e). And that is where I blame the school, I don't think they took the right approach to the whole situation. The principal joked about it, he instead should have reacted in a firm but diplomatic manner. Maybe it could have been handled differently.

PrepDogg
11-02-2006, 12:27 AM
I'm back in college to get my teachers degree in Phys Ed, but I'm enjoying history so much again, that I'm going for a history degree also, its killing me money wise, but its just so fascinating!! There are so many things you look into!

Good for you bro. :D

Vol&dolfan
11-02-2006, 12:28 AM
Hey it was Halloween why dress up as freddy or jason when u could dress up as one of the worlds most mass murders. If it was any other day of the year I would say there's something wrong but not on halloween. I think it was just all for fun with no offence intended.

FinSinceBirth
11-02-2006, 12:30 AM

I don't know what you're talking about. In my AP Euro history class last year we started from black death to current times. In my AP American History class this year we started at about exploration/colonization and we'll go all the way to current. We're at about the end of the Jacksonian Era now and the sectionalism that eventually leads up to the civil war.

PrepDogg
11-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Hey it was Halloween why dress up as freddy or jason when u could dress up as one of the worlds most mass murders. If it was any other day of the year I would say there's something wrong but not on halloween. I think it was just all for fun with no offence intended.

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

NJFINSFAN1
11-02-2006, 12:32 AM

Freddy and Jason are fake. Hitler was real, and people from the camps are still alive that lived thru it and kids are still alive that lost parents or grand parents from him, that's where the difference is.

NJFINSFAN1
11-02-2006, 12:33 AM
I don't know what you're talking about. In my AP Euro history class last year we started from black death to current times. In my AP American History class this year we started at about exploration/colonization and we'll go all the way to current. We're at about the end of the Jacksonian Era now and the sectionalism that eventually leads up to the civil war.

What don't you understand???? Are you in HS or college?

rafael
11-02-2006, 12:35 AM
I don't understand why people think they have the right to not be offended.

NJFINSFAN1
11-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Well, I'll check back tomorrow, Time for me to go to bed!

FinSinceBirth
11-02-2006, 12:39 AM
What don't you understand???? Are you in HS or college?

I'm in HS. You said that my generation is losing it's touch and in your day you learned everything from ceasar to the monroe doctrine(I'm proud to say I know what that is) but to me it seems like we're covering everything. Next year is history of the Americas. By the time I graduate I'll have covered Europe, US and Latin American History, and we start at the earliest times and work chronologically all the way to present day. But maybe that's just my program...:confused:

Stevendinho
11-02-2006, 12:50 AM
i find the entire situation humerous. not nearly as funny as my banana costume, but close

Stitches
11-02-2006, 01:05 AM
I'm in HS. You said that my generation is losing it's touch and in your day you learned everything from ceasar to the monroe doctrine(I'm proud to say I know what that is) but to me it seems like we're covering everything. Next year is history of the Americas. By the time I graduate I'll have covered Europe, US and Latin American History, and we start at the earliest times and work chronologically all the way to present day. But maybe that's just my program...:confused:
I had a similar program in HS. However, in my "US History to 1865" class here, I was amazed as to how little so many people knew, and thier inabilty to retain almost any of the information that was presented to them in class. I know I would be consired to have an above average memory and intelligence, but if you can't even pass a US Citizenship test, and you were born here in America, there is something wrong. I mean, for every 1 person who had even like a moderate knowledge of the subject being taught, there were at least 3 who appeared to be clueless.

King Nate
11-02-2006, 01:35 AM

Exactly.

Plus, anyone in journalism will tell you that freedom of speech has plenty of limitations.

greatwade
11-02-2006, 10:18 AM
2 funny observations:

1)every news outlet picked up this stoopid story. Wonder what young attention whores will dress up like next year. :hi5:

2) southpark re-ran the 1997 (damn that show has been round) episode where Cartman went as Adolf. So, originality for this kid is a decade late.

that's all.

rafael
11-02-2006, 10:19 AM

So you're not Jewish and you're deciding what people who are Jewish are supposed to be offended by? The article points out that the kid is Jewish. Both him and his parents (also Jewish) are not offended by this. You're basically telling them that they don't know what they should be offended by. Personally, I would be more offended by anybody telling me how I'm supposed to think than I would be by anybody's Halloween costume.

Pagan
11-02-2006, 11:09 AM
So you're not Jewish and you're deciding what people who are Jewish are supposed to be offended by? The article points out that the kid is Jewish. Both him and his parents (also Jewish) are not offended by this. You're basically telling them that they don't know what they should be offended by. Personally, I would be more offended by anybody telling me how I'm supposed to think than I would be by anybody's Halloween costume.
Dude, don't put words in my mouth. That's not what I said. I didn't say ALL Jews would be offended.

However, show me one person who lost a loved one during the Holocaust who WOULDN'T be offended by this.

Want me to blow your theory all to hell?

The word "nigga".

Some black people love it and use it often, some are pissed off at it. So by your logic, black people should just deal with the fact that the word is used because some of them don't mind.

Care to dispute that?

PhinzN703
11-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Halloween costumes should be fun and sexy

Who the hell wants to go as Hitler? You'd always garner a negative reaction to that get-up

rafael
11-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Dude, don't put words in my mouth. That's not what I said. I didn't say ALL Jews would be offended.

However, show me one person who lost a loved one during the Holocaust who WOULDN'T be offended by this.

Want me to blow your theory all to hell?

The word "nigga".

Some black people love it and use it often, some are pissed off at it. So by your logic, black people should just deal with the fact that the word is used because some of them don't mind.

Care to dispute that?

Absolutely! That's my point. Whether or not someone is offended is an issue for the offended person. It's ridiculous to try to make the world avoid anything that might offend someone. The truth is it will always offend someone. I don't want that "someone" deciding what I'm allowed to see and hear.

ganooch
11-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Yes this costume is probably offensive to many. However it is Halloween and people can get away with more on this day. I wonder if he would have dressed up as Josef Stalin if there would be such an uproar?
It

ganooch
11-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Yes this costume is probably offensive to many. However it is Halloween and people can get away with more on this day. I wonder if he would have dressed up as Josef Stalin if there would be such an uproar?

it would also be intersesting

ganooch
11-02-2006, 12:29 PM

it would also be intersesting to see if those that are offended by t

ganooch
11-02-2006, 12:30 PM

it would also be intersesting to see if those that are offended by this costume are the same people who made Mel

ganooch
11-02-2006, 12:30 PM

it would also be intersesting to see if those that are offended by this costume are the same people who made Mel Brooks' "The Producers" where

ganooch
11-02-2006, 12:31 PM

it would also be intersesting to see if those that are offended by this costume are the same people who made Mel Brooks' "The Producers" where they actually spoof Hitler

ganooch
11-02-2006, 12:32 PM

it would also be intersesting to see if those that are offended by this costume are the same people who made Mel Brooks' "The Producers" where they actually spoof Hitler in a song and dance routine?

ganooch
11-02-2006, 12:32 PM

it would also be intersesting to see if those that are offended by this costume are the same people who made Mel Brooks' "The Producers" where they actually spoof Hitler in a song and dance routine? Anyone but Mel Brooks and there

Stitches
11-02-2006, 12:33 PM
^^ Post whore. lol

ganooch

it would also be intersesting to see if those that are offended by this costume are the same people who made Mel Brooks' "The Producers" where they actually spoof Hitler in a song and dance routine? Anyone but Mel Brooks and there would have been an uproar.

The

Motion
Holy multiple posts Batman! :eek:

Colorado Dolfan
11-02-2006, 12:34 PM
^^ Post whore. lol

Methinks someone may be on Netscape... :wink:

Had the same trouble a few weeks back... :shakeno:

ganooch
11-02-2006, 12:34 PM

it would also be intersesting to see if those that are offended by this costume are the same people who made Mel Brooks' "The Producers" where they actually spoof Hitler in a song and dance routine? Anyone but Mel Brooks and there would have been an uproar.

Pagan
11-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Absolutely! That's my point. Whether or not someone is offended is an issue for the offended person. It's ridiculous to try to make the world avoid anything that might offend someone. The truth is it will always offend someone. I don't want that "someone" deciding what I'm allowed to see and hear.
Your own argument works against you. You're saying you don't want someone deciding what you see and hear, yet by that very means YOU are deciding what people who would be offended by it should see and hear. It works both ways.

I would agree with you if it was a niche group who were offended, but man....we're talking MILLIONS here, not a couple of people.

ganooch
11-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Holy multiple posts Batman! :eek:
my computer went batty!!!!!!!!

Pagan
11-02-2006, 12:43 PM
my computer went batty!!!!!!!!
Ya think? :lol:

WharfRat
11-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Wow ganooch.... you stuttering?

ganooch
11-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Wow ganooch.... you stuttering?
I don't know what happened. All i saw was my earl campbell avatar in quadruple!

NJFINSFAN1
11-02-2006, 12:49 PM
I don't know what happened. All i saw was my earl campbell avatar in quadruple!

A lot of defenders saw Earl Campbell in quadruple after he ran over them!

rafael
11-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Your own argument works against you. You're saying you don't want someone deciding what you see and hear, yet by that very means YOU are deciding what people who would be offended by it should see and hear. It works both ways.

I would agree with you if it was a niche group who were offended, but man....we're talking MILLIONS here, not a couple of people.

No, b/c they, just like me, have the power to turn away. There are shows I find offensive so I don't watch them. It doesn't mean that nobody else should be allowed to watch them.

And why would it matter what the popularity of the group is unless you're claiming that only the majority or the popular have the right to decide what's offensive.

ganooch
11-02-2006, 12:54 PM
:lol: You are so right. I remember watching him run over, around, and through defenders. One of the best I ever saw!

DeathStar
11-02-2006, 12:59 PM
its morally wrong but legally its okay.

Pagan
11-02-2006, 12:59 PM
No, b/c they, just like me, have the power to turn away. There are shows I find offensive so I don't watch them. It doesn't mean that nobody else should be allowed to watch them.

And why would it matter what the popularity of the group is unless you're claiming that only the majority or the popular have the right to decide what's offensive.
Then can you kindly explain to me why on the news on TV and in the papers they say "the N-word" instead of the actual word?

rafael
11-02-2006, 01:01 PM
its morally wrong but legally its okay.

It's morally wrong to spoof Hitler?

rafael
11-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Then can you kindly explain to me why on the news on TV and in the papers they say "the N-word" instead of the actual word?

B/c they are trying to be politically correct and never offend anyone. Obviously, it's not possible b/c as you agreed earlier somebody can/will always be offended. But just b/c something is stupid doesn't mean that people don't do it.

Pagan
11-02-2006, 01:12 PM
It's morally wrong to spoof Hitler?
No, it's not. But tell me where this kid was "spoofing" him? He was walking around giving the "Zieg Heil" salute.

Had he been wearing a skirt and garters with that costume, then he'd be spoofing. :wink:

In_Flames
11-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Had he been wearing a skirt and garters with that costume, then he'd be spoofing. :wink:

kind of like this you mean...http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

NJFINSFAN1
11-02-2006, 01:15 PM
B/c they are trying to be politically correct and never offend anyone. Obviously, it's not possible b/c as you agreed earlier somebody can/will always be offended. But just b/c something is stupid doesn't mean that people don't do it.

Most people do stupid things not knowing they were stupid at the time, this kid and his family knew this was a stupid idea, and had to know it would cause trouble, but still did it. Why??? They wanted attention.

I could walk around the World Trade Center site dressed like Bin Laden, but I better be ready to be beaten like a plup! Can I do it? Sure, would it be wrong? You dam right it would be wrong and stupid!

Pagan
11-02-2006, 01:26 PM
kind of like this you mean...http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/07/Gayhitler.jpg
YES!!!! :lol:

Take Hogan's Heroes for example. The man who played Nazi Colonel Klink was in fact Jewish. In his contract he had stipulated that he'd ONLY act on the show if the Nazis were made to look foolish in every episode.

THAT'S spoofing something horrible.

Most people do stupid things not knowing they were stupid at the time, this kid and his family knew this was a stupid idea, and had to know it would cause trouble, but still did it. Why??? They wanted attention.
Exxxxxxxxactly. If it was harmless and a spoof, why did the kid conceal the costume to look like Charlie Chaplin until he was safely at school? Obviously, he KNEW it was going to piss off alot of people, or else he'd have had the nads to wear it on the train.

Stitches
11-02-2006, 02:12 PM
YES!!!! :lol:

Take Hogan's Heroes for example. The man who played Nazi Colonel Klink was in fact Jewish. In his contract he had stipulated that he'd ONLY act on the show if the Nazis were made to look foolish in every episode.

THAT'S spoofing something horrible.

Exxxxxxxxactly. If it was harmless and a spoof, why did the kid conceal the costume to look like Charlie Chaplin until he was safely at school? Obviously, he KNEW it was going to piss off alot of people, or else he'd have had the nads to wear it on the train.

Personally I'm impressed with the mustache on a 16 year old. I wish I could grow one. :(

arsenal
11-02-2006, 02:15 PM
i dont have a problem with it... id have more of a problem with someone who was actually a neo-nazi than someone who dressed like hitler on halloween...

yes the hollocaust was horrible, hitler is one of the worst human beings in history... but its halloween, take it for what it really was, just a dumb costume...

Pagan
11-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Well apparently, he's not just wearing it on Halloween.

And it would seem that quite a few Jewish people are a tad upset about it also.

REICH & WRONG

HITLER KID GOOSE-STEPS BACK

By DAVID ANDREATTA and JOHN DOYLE

November 2, 2006 -- Flouting a possible suspension and the scorn of Jewish groups, a Brooklyn high-school student ejected from class for dressing as Adolf Hitler on Halloween donned the controversial getup again yesterday on campus.

A spokesman for the city Education Department said that Leon M. Goldstein HS will pursue disciplinary charges against 16-year-old Walter Petryk for insubordination, which could result in a 10-day suspension.

Under the department's disciplinary code, students may be suspended for "defying or disobeying the lawful authority of school personnel."

As The Post reported yesterday, Petryk admits repeatedly defying demands of school officials on Halloween to remove his Nazi attire. In doing so, he cited free-expression rights, and called the costume a parody.

The junior honors student dressed again as the fascist butcher outside the Sheepshead Bay school yesterday for a gaggle of reporters, and dismissed the prospect of suspension - as well as the ridicule of onlookers.

"I'm not worried about it that much," said Petryk, whose mother delivered the costume to him yesterday and stood by his side.

"I'm not a Nazi. It's a Halloween costume," he declared. "People have taken it too seriously . . . I'm not going to go around and kill Jews or anything."

At one point, the gathering was interrupted by area resident Michael Loweth, 50, who shouted at Petryk, "You're pathetic!"

"This is ridiculous, kid. Grow up!" he yelled. "Millions of people died for a schmuck like you."

The Anti-Defamation League and the American Jewish Committee likened the costume to a Ku Klux Klan hood, saying it represented unprotected hate speech.

"This is not an innocent First Amendment advocacy," said Abraham Foxman, director of the ADL. "He knew this outfit would offend and hurt and maybe even incite by the fact that he didn't wear it on the subway."

Petryk concealed the costume en route to school with a Charlie Chaplin disguise of black overcoat and a bowler hat.

David Gerber, 16, a Goldstein junior, said he was so enraged by Petryk that he took it out physically on him.

"I warned him, 'You're going to get beat up by every single Jew in this school,' and I personally kicked him," Gerber said. "My grandfather was in a concentration camp. I think it was stupid and offensive."

Penny Lee Berman, president of the Goldstein parents' association, said the group is organizing a protest march from the school to the Holocaust Memorial Park in Sheepshead Bay.

"This is not what our school is about," Berman said. "Our kids are beautiful, and this is very ugly."

Stitches
11-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Only part of that article I would argue against is the first half of the last quote. I bet there are some kids of thiers, that are very ugly.

Pagan
11-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Only part of that article I would argue against is the first half of the last quote. I bet there are some kids of thiers, that are very ugly.
I was thinking the same thing. :wink:

rafael
11-02-2006, 03:10 PM

I could walk around the World Trade Center site dressed like Bin Laden, but I better be ready to be beaten like a plup! Can I do it? Sure, would it be wrong? You dam right it would be wrong and stupid!

The stupid part is people trying to use political correctness to censor people.

And in your example you would have the right to walk around dressed like that and if people reacted stupidly they would and should be prosecuted. You're actions however would not be wrong.

NJFINSFAN1
11-02-2006, 03:11 PM

And in your example you would have the right to walk around dressed like that and if people reacted stupidly they would and should be prosecuted. You're actions however would not be wrong.

I call it common sense!

Colorado Dolfan
11-02-2006, 03:14 PM

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

This exists not only in nature but in human nature and sociology.

This punk deserves everything that's going to come to him... :shakeno:

rafael
11-02-2006, 03:15 PM
No, it's not. But tell me where this kid was "spoofing" him? He was walking around giving the "Zieg Heil" salute.

He said it was a spoof. Are you attempting now to limit as to what is and is not a spoof? Is the standard whether or not you find it funny?

rafael
11-02-2006, 03:19 PM
I call it common sense!

Commom sense isn't very common.

Pagan
11-02-2006, 03:40 PM
He said it was a spoof. Are you attempting now to limit as to what is and is not a spoof? Is the standard whether or not you find it funny?
Bro, your argument is getting thinner by the moment. How exactly was he trying to be funny by walking around giving a Nazi salute? Had he been doing something to elicit laughter while in that outfit, then he's spoofing.

Unless your sense of humor is such that people raising their arm causes you fits of laughter, it's not a spoof. He was walking around acting like Hitler, not cracking jokes, not making light of the situation, nothing.

Also, read the second article. No one is finding it funny. All you're doing now is trying to sling dull arrows at me instead of the story.

You're aim is off.

Motion
11-02-2006, 03:46 PM

:D

greatwade
11-02-2006, 03:52 PM
think this little attention whore is getting enough attention?

here and elsewhere. I'll take this moment to ask one more time

WHO IS STARTING AT QB on SUNDAY?

Motion
11-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Cleo!

Pagan
11-02-2006, 03:54 PM
http://www.energizer.com/images/bunny/bio/bunny.jpg

No one's forcing ya to read, bro. :D

Motion
11-02-2006, 03:58 PM
No one's forcing ya to read, bro. :D

:lol: Easy killer

Did you really expect such a response when you started this thread?

Pagan
11-02-2006, 03:59 PM
:lol: Easy killer

Did you really expect such a response when you started this thread?
Never in a million years man. :lol:

NJFINSFAN1
11-02-2006, 04:04 PM
http://www.energizer.com/images/bunny/bio/bunny.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif (http://www.pixelbuddy.com/downloadcount.php?id=440)

Motion
11-02-2006, 04:05 PM

:lol: Nice

rafael
11-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Bro, your argument is getting thinner by the moment. How exactly was he trying to be funny by walking around giving a Nazi salute? Had he been doing something to elicit laughter while in that outfit, then he's spoofing.

Unless your sense of humor is such that people raising their arm causes you fits of laughter, it's not a spoof. He was walking around acting like Hitler, not cracking jokes, not making light of the situation, nothing.

Also, read the second article. No one is finding it funny. All you're doing now is trying to sling dull arrows at me instead of the story.

You're aim is off.

It doesn't matter if I or anyone else thinks it's funny. Maybe he thinks it's funny for a Jewish kid to wear the costume, who cares? The point is that you don't get to decide what is or isn't funny to others or what is or isn't offensive to others.

The censorship in the name of political correctness is what I object to. It's people deciding what is "common sense" offensive that led to the burning of books like "Catcher in the Rye" or the banning of the Harry Potter books in some libraries. In this very forum people are laughing about the Hitler appearance on South Park. Steve Irwin appeared in that episode too and many people found that offensive. It's an impossible line to draw.

Pagan
11-02-2006, 06:02 PM
In this very forum people are laughing about the Hitler appearance on South Park. Steve Irwin appeared in that episode too and many people found that offensive. It's an impossible line to draw.
LMAO!

So, you're equating making fun of a mass murderer and maniacal dictator to making fun of a man who was killed in a terrible accident not too long ago?

Ho. Lee. ****. If you can't see the line to draw then it's pointless to even continue.

I'm done discussing this with you. We're not going to see eye to eye, and since you're only quoting ME, and not anyone else who's agreed with me in here, you've obviously got a bug up your *** about me.

Carry on.

rafael
11-02-2006, 06:41 PM
LMAO!

So, you're equating making fun of a mass murderer and maniacal dictator to making fun of a man who was killed in a terrible accident not too long ago?

Ho. Lee. ****. If you can't see the line to draw then it's pointless to even continue.

I'm done discussing this with you. We're not going to see eye to eye, and since you're only quoting ME, and not anyone else who's agreed with me in here, you've obviously got a bug up your *** about me.

Carry on.

I have nothing against you. I quoted you b/c you were the thread starter. Also you weren't the only person I quoted in this thread so don't feel so paranoid. I don't expect to or care whether I convince you. Many people feel like you do. I don't know if it's b/c of the mistaken belief that a line can be drawn or b/c they don't study history, either way it is what it is.

Carry on.

sugarcane
11-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Where I come from you better have had the balls to wear something like that,we wouldn't have needed the principal.

You WEAR this costume,YOU got it coming.