PDA

View Full Version : Smith vs quinn

SR 7
11-02-2006, 12:36 AM
I hear a lot about QUinn and i DO like the guy but i just htink he is a product of the system. same as Brady's system and brady is good but i just dont see quinn making plays on his own as much. I havent' watched him much to be honest but i personally think that T. Smith would be a far better QB b/c he can make things on his own, run, AND very accurate/mistake free. I think quinn would be somehwat like Leinart but more gifted physically as oppose to Leinart but not as smart as him. I just think Smith would be a very good QB.

Majpain
11-02-2006, 12:41 AM
Troy Smith is a better College QB. Quinn is more NFL read than Smith is. Smith is better IMO.

Camon how many saw that coming :P

Hasane
11-02-2006, 12:48 AM
Smith is in no way better than brady quinn, with the exception of speed.

Stitches
11-02-2006, 01:10 AM
I hear a lot about QUinn and i DO like the guy but i just htink he is a product of the system. same as Brady's system and brady is good but i just dont see quinn making plays on his own as much. I havent' watched him much to be honest but i personally think that T. Smith would be a far better QB b/c he can make things on his own, run, AND very accurate/mistake free. I think quinn would be somehwat like Leinart but more gifted physically as oppose to Leinart but not as smart as him. I just think Smith would be a very good QB.

Brady Quinn isn't accurate, and doesn't play mistake free?

Only thing Smith has over Quinn, is running ability(and maybe throwing the ball further, maybe).

PhinFan0202
11-02-2006, 01:15 AM
Smith is in no way better than brady quinn, with the exception of speed.

IMO Brady Quinn and Troy Smith are both good QBs. Everyone seems to think Brady Quinn is a system QB but i've herd that about every QB in the last couple of drafts. Alex Smith was supposed to be a system QB but he seems to be doing fine and progressing rather nicely. The same thing was said about Matt Leinart this year but he's done a pretty good job for a rookie. I think it's just something that people try to point out to find a fault about the QB.

Troy Smith seems to lack some size but besides for that he looks like he can be a great QB. He's got some speed and makes really good descisions with the football. It would interesting to see if ND can move up the charts and play Ohio State for the national title. Both of the two QBs could play each other on a national spotlight and bring out the best in them.

SR 7
11-02-2006, 01:18 AM
IMO Brady Quinn and Troy Smith are both good QBs. Everyone seems to think Brady Quinn is a system QB but i've herd that about every QB in the last couple of drafts. Alex Smith was supposed to be a system QB but he seems to be doing fine and progressing rather nicely. The same thing was said about Matt Leinart this year but he's done a pretty good job for a rookie. I think it's just something that people try to point out to find a fault about the QB.

Troy Smith seems to lack some size but besides for that he looks like he can be a great QB. He's got some speed and makes really good descisions with the football. It would interesting to see if ND can move up the charts and play Ohio State for the national title. Both of the two QBs could play each other on a national spotlight and bring out the best in them.

yea that owuld be good to see.

CChambers84
11-02-2006, 01:23 AM
Totally off topic, but I've always wondered if Tom Brady was a product of the system or if he were to be put on another team would he thrive the same way he did on NE?

PhinFan0202
11-02-2006, 01:31 AM
Totally off topic, but I've always wondered if Tom Brady was a product of the system or if he were to be put on another team would he thrive the same way he did on NE?

I think now he could be a good QB anywhere he plays but initially when he first started he would have sucked. Playing at a high level for so long has elevated his game sky high.

DonShula84
11-02-2006, 01:39 AM
People act like Quinn is a statue back there and that he cant avoid a sack and make plays on the run. I'd probably try watching some games, might help.

SR 7
11-02-2006, 04:59 AM
People act like Quinn is a statue back there and that he cant avoid a sack and make plays on the run. I'd probably try watching some games, might help.

no one said that. ive seen him run and he is pretty damn quick

HysterikiLL
11-02-2006, 05:12 AM
Quinn has all the tools to be a franchise QB. While Smith lacks some measurables (size..ahem), I still think he'll be excellent in the NFL. When I see him throw the ball, I see the arm of Daunte Culpepper two, three years ago. I have a feeling a team that is willing to develop him will pick him up and let him sit for a while and work his way into the right situation. I see Quinn starting next season.

DefensiveEnd#76
11-02-2006, 07:19 AM
And at the same time, Troy Smith could be Akili Smith and Quinn may be the next Rick Mirer. We don't know.

Majpain
11-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Remind me which team has the better record. Remind me who won between the 2 last year. Remind me why were number 1 and Smith is the leading candidate for Heisman. I rest my case.

Talking about College.

Silverphin
11-02-2006, 09:44 AM
And at the same time, Troy Smith could be Akili Smith and Quinn may be the next Rick Mirer. We don't know.

Valid point.

Stitches
11-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Remind me which team has the better record. Remind me who won between the 2 last year. Remind me why were number 1 and Smith is the leading candidate for Heisman. I rest my case.

Talking about College.

I'm pretty sure Ohio State had the better record last year too. Troy Smith never played Brady Quinn. And if you think Notre Dame's defense last year could even hold a candle to that Ohio State defense, that would be laughable.

Ok, I'll remind you why you're number one. You have an undefeated team, and were number #1 in the pre-season polls, and there hasn't been a strong enough reason for anyone to vote against Ohio State. That's why you are number 1.

Smith is the leading Heisman candidate because he plays good ball, but primarily because he is quarterbacking the number 1 ranked team in the country.

Quit talking smack, like anything Ohio State is automatically better than everyone else, and that entitles you to resting your case so quickly.

Majpain
11-02-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm pretty sure Ohio State had the better record last year too. Troy Smith never played Brady Quinn. And if you think Notre Dame's defense last year could even hold a candle to that Ohio State defense, that would be laughable.

Ok, I'll remind you why you're number one. You have an undefeated team, and were number #1 in the pre-season polls, and there hasn't been a strong enough reason for anyone to vote against Ohio State. That's why you are number 1.

Smith is the leading Heisman candidate because he plays good ball, but primarily because he is quarterbacking the number 1 ranked team in the country.

Quit talking smack, like anything Ohio State is automatically better than everyone else, and that entitles you to resting your case so quickly.

Well we are number 1 for a reason :goof::lol:. I was resting my case because Troy Smith is the best college QB.

Stitches
11-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Well we are number 1 for a reason :goof::lol:. I was resting my case because Troy Smith is the best college QB.

But Troy Smith isn't the lone reason Ohio State is number 1, far from it in fact. And he isn't the only reason Ohio State beat Notre Dame last year. You were resting your case about Troy Smith pretty much because the team has done well.

Majpain
11-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Whats the main reason Ohio St is scoring? Yea their defense is solid, best statisticly. The main reason OSU is winning games is because Troy Smith is orcestrating that offense.

Stitches
11-02-2006, 10:40 AM
Whats the main reason Ohio St is scoring? Yea their defense is solid, best statisticly. The main reason OSU is winning games is because Troy Smith is orcestrating that offense.

Ok, Hawaii is scoring a lot of points. Thier main reason for scoring and winning, is because thier QB is orcestrating thier offense. That alone doesn't mean Hawaii's QB is better.

Majpain
11-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Ok, Hawaii is scoring a lot of points. Thier main reason for scoring and winning, is because thier QB is orcestrating thier offense. That alone doesn't mean Hawaii's QB is better.

Whats his Td/TO ratio? Completion %? Has he played ranked teams and beat them? Does he win the big games. All I'm saying the reason OSU is number 1 is because of Troy Smith.

Stitches
11-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Whats his Td/TO ratio? Completion %? Has he played ranked teams and beat them? Does he win the big games. All I'm saying the reason OSU is number 1 is because of Troy Smith.

And what I'm saying is he's not the reason. It's a team game, and that is why Ohio State is number 1. The team, not Troy Smith. And I said that doesn't mean Hawaii's QB is better, simply because they put up a lot of points. Just because his TEAM is ranked higher in the standings, doesn't mean he's a better college QB than Brady Quinn or any other QB.

And since you asked so arrogantly what Hawaii's QB stats were-
Colt Brennan's stats are:
33TD/5INT
74% Completion Percentage
2934 yards
9.43 ypa
185 Rating
194 yards rushing(4.3 avg)
2 rushing Tds

Compared to Troy Smith's:
22TD/2INT
67.8% completion
1898 yards
8.87 ypa
174.3 Rating
169 yards rushing(4.0 avg)
1 rushing TD

Majpain
11-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Next question

Who has Hawaii played?

Who puts points up on Offense? LAst time I checked the OSU defense doesnt play offense. The Qb is the one that gets the team down the field. The Qb is the commander. Troy Smith gets everyone touches thats what hes about.

Stitches
11-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Next question

Who has Hawaii played?

Who puts points up on Offense? LAst time I checked the OSU defense doesnt play offense. The Qb is the one that gets the team down the field. The Qb is the commander. Troy Smith gets everyone touches thats what hes about.

I'll get to the other questions, but how is the bold part any different in regards pretty much every single other college QB?

Update: The only currently ranked team Hawaii has played is Boise State, and they lost by a touchdown at Boise. Conversly, Ohio State has played Texas, Penn. State, and Iowa and won them all.

As to who puts up points on offense I broke it all down.
For Ohio State in 9 games:
43 Touchdowns as a Team.
Troy Smith was part of scoring in 23 of those TDs(53%)
Defense and Special Teams scored 3 TDs(7%)
Other offensive players scored 17 TDs(40%)

For Hawaii in 8 games:
50 TDs as a team.
Colt Brennan was part of scoring 35 of those TDs(70%)
Special Teams or Defense scored 4 TDs(8%)
Other Offensive players scored 11 TDs(22%)

As to who puts up points on offense, it looks to me like in less games, Colt Brennan puts up more points than Troy Smith. Also Colt is even a better percentage of his teams stats. So, by your argument, since he is the QB of Hawaii(the commander, and the one who gets them down the field), and is accountable for a larger number of his teams points and stats, he must be a better college QB. Right? I mean we're just talking about college here, not whose game translates better to the pros. Right?

DonShula84
11-02-2006, 06:08 PM

Talking about College.

Yeah, that proves nothing at all. OSU has a better team, that doesnt make Smith the better QB and it certainly doesnt make him the better pro prospect.

Stitches
11-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Yeah, that proves nothing at all. OSU has a better team, that doesnt make Smith the better QB and it certainly doesnt make him the better pro prospect.
I thought I did good with my argument about that, by using Colt Brennan as my example.

:patmyselfontheback:

DonShula84
11-02-2006, 06:10 PM
I thought I did good with my argument about that, by using Colt Brennan as my example.

:patmyselfontheback:

:lol: