PDA

View Full Version : The Privilege of Being Beautiful

BAMAPHIN 22
11-03-2006, 12:38 AM
All of us like to look at beautiful people, but does beauty really bring you privilege?

A few people say no, beauty is a curse!

ABC's "The Bachelor," the show where women compete to win the affection of a handsome man, often provides insights into the way these incredibly beautiful people think.

Last year, one jilted contestant tearfully complained that there were plenty of disadvantages to being beautiful.

"People are mean to me because of the way I look. People hate me because I'm beautiful," she said. "It's a curse as much as it is a blessing to be pretty."

The 'Beauty Penalty'

She might have a point, according to researchers Rick Wilson of Rice University and Catherine Eckel of the University of Texas at Dallas.

In a study called "Judging a Book by Its Cover: Beauty and Expectations in the Trust Game," the researchers found what they call a "beauty penalty."

"People have very high expectations of the level of trust of beautiful people. When beautiful people fail to live up to those expectations, they're punished more harshly than people who are not beautiful," Eckel said.

Wilson said pretty waitresses, for example, might be penalized with small tips.

"A beautiful waitress may provide extremely good service but not nearly the level that you might expect because of your expectations — you may think that such a person ought to be providing fabulous service," he said. "And as a consequence, you penalize the person for not living up to your own expectations."

http://www.abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2622184&page=1

Phinzone
11-03-2006, 02:59 AM
You know, there's a lot to this.

Most people think that beautiful people get things handed to them on a platter which they can, IF they choose to.

However, if they try to make it legit, it an be a huge hurdle.

My girlfriend (who happens to be gorgeous..i know everyone says it, but it's true) is trying to make it legit. She's an architecture student, and gets PILED on by our professors, and we constantly run into problems with other girls. It's true that girls are incredibly jealous people, and she is constantly on the outside looking in, because shes' prejudged by them.

I still think pretty people have an edge as they have a choice, but it can surely hamper them in the real world.

Muck
11-03-2006, 08:23 AM
I can agree with you on that. I had two beautiful sisters growing up. And they were ALWAYS dealing with some kind of conflict over it. Whether it was vicious rumors, jealousy, teachers having it out for them or even girls trying to jump them, it wasn't easy. One of my sisters even had a very young cop (former classmate) taunt her and impound her car during a traffic stop because "you think you can do anything because you're pretty".

It's a blessing and a curse for girls.

However for guys, it's completely advantageous until you screw up. I don't think women get that "until you screw up" benefit nearly as often as men. I think that has to do with male insecurity and female jealousy.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-03-2006, 08:25 AM
being beautiful myself i can say that it's a curse. http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

arsenal
11-03-2006, 08:45 AM
i always knew my hideousness was a good thing :hide:

SCall13
11-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Since I'm one of the beautiful people that the article was written about, I will withhold my opinions and comments and let you ugly people discuss this.

:lol:

I gotta tell you though - it's tough being me. :boohoo:

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-03-2006, 09:48 AM
I gotta tell you though - it's tough being me. :boohoo: :hug:

Stitches
11-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Well, I guess it's a good thing I'm like a 6 at best then in the looks department.

SCall13
11-03-2006, 10:34 AM
:hug:

greatwade
11-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Well, I guess it's a good thing I'm like a 6 at best then in the looks department.

i knew you and I could 69 together stitches. Knew it!

:cooldude:

it's not a curse unless you mind sexing up the lunch lady in middle school. Tell you what though, my food never spilled over the pockets in the tray. Never.

Timmy54
11-03-2006, 11:56 AM
hey who knew being ugly had its advantages

greatwade
11-03-2006, 11:59 AM

Timmy54
11-03-2006, 12:00 PM
three post in a row with the same smilie, talk about post whore

greatwade
11-03-2006, 12:12 PM
three post in a row with the same smilie, talk about post whore
ok, i'll talk about it

Once upon a time there lived in a certain village a little country post whore, the prettiest creature who was ever seen. Her mother was excessively fond of her; and her grandmother doted on her still more. This good woman had a little red Post Whore made for her. It suited the post whore so extremely well that everybody called her Little Red Post Whore.
One day her mother, having made some cakes, said to her, "Go, my dear, and see how your grandmother is doing, for I hear she has been very ill. Take her a cake, and this little pot of butter."
Little Red Post Whore set out immediately to go to her grandmother, who lived in another village.
As she was going through the wood, she met with a wolf, who had a very great mind to eat her up, but he dared not, because of some woodcutters working nearby in the forest. He asked her where she was going. The poor post whore, who did not know that it was dangerous to stay and talk to a wolf, said to him, "I am going to see my grandmother and carry her a cake and a little pot of butter from my mother."
"Does she live far off?" said the wolf
"Oh I say," answered Little Red Post Whore; "it is beyond that mill you see there, at the first house in the village."
"Well," said the wolf, "and I'll go and see her too. I'll go this way and go you that, and we shall see who will be there first."
The wolf ran as fast as he could, taking the shortest path, and the little post whore took a roundabout way, entertaining herself by gathering nuts, running after butterflies, and gathering bouquets of little flowers. It was not long before the wolf arrived at the old woman's house. He knocked at the door: tap, tap.
"Who's there?"
"Your grandpost whore, Little Red Post Whore," replied the wolf, counterfeiting her voice; "who has brought you a cake and a little pot of butter sent you by mother."
The good grandmother, who was in bed, because she was somewhat ill, cried out, "Pull the bobbin, and the latch will go up."
The wolf pulled the bobbin, and the door opened, and then he immediately fell upon the good woman and ate her up in a moment, for it been more than three days since he had eaten. He then shut the door and got into the grandmother's bed, expecting Little Red Post Whore, who came some time afterwards and knocked at the door: tap, tap.
"Who's there?"
Little Red Post Whore, hearing the big voice of the wolf, was at first afraid; but believing her grandmother had a cold and was hoarse, answered, "It is your grandpost whore Little Red Post Whore, who has brought you a cake and a little pot of butter mother sends you."
The wolf cried out to her, softening his voice as much as he could, "Pull the bobbin, and the latch will go up."
Little Red Post Whore pulled the bobbin, and the door opened.
The wolf, seeing her come in, said to her, hiding himself under the bedclothes, "Put the cake and the little pot of butter upon the stool, and come get into bed with me."
Little Red Post Whore took off her clothes and got into bed. She was greatly amazed to see how her grandmother looked in her nightclothes, and said to her, "Grandmother, what big arms you have!"
"All the better to hug you with, my dear."
"Grandmother, what big legs you have!"
"All the better to run with, my post whore."
"Grandmother, what big ears you have!"
"All the better to hear with, my post whore."
"Grandmother, what big eyes you have!"
"All the better to see with, my post whore."
"Grandmother, what big teeth you have got!"
"All the better to eat you up with."
And, saying these words, this wicked wolf fell upon Little Red Post Whore, and ate her all up.
Moral: Post whoreing, especially attractive, well bred young ladies, should never talk to strangers, for if they should do so, they may well provide dinner for a wolf. I say "wolf," but there are various kinds of wolves. There are also those who are charming, quiet, polite, unassuming, complacent, and sweet, who pursue young women at home and in the streets. And unfortunately, it is these gentle wolves who are the most dangerous ones of all.

HolliFinFan
11-03-2006, 12:15 PM
ok, i'll talk about it

:sidelol: GREAT stuff.

Timmy54
11-03-2006, 01:08 PM
wade's best post ever:sidelol:

lazareth
11-03-2006, 01:25 PM
its not easy...being green

tucker
11-03-2006, 02:31 PM