PDA

View Full Version : UNC, Butch reportedly reach agreement..

HysterikiLL
11-03-2006, 08:52 PM
http://northcarolina.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=603369

CarolinaBlue.com has been told by sources that the two-week search to replace John Bunting has apparently come to a close with the Tar Heels landing one of the most-sought after coaches in the college football circles.

Okay, so being ****ing Rivals, I can only read the teaser paragraph of the article, but it seems like UNC may have just landed a great catch. IMO, this football team is going to become something very big in the near future.

305TillIDie
11-03-2006, 08:54 PM
awww man

:boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

i hope miami gets a good coach in here and not some average dude

byroan
11-03-2006, 08:58 PM
I sure hope so!

HysterikiLL
11-03-2006, 08:58 PM
awww man

:boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

i hope miami gets a good coach in here and not some average dude

It's weird. The same people who reported this were reporting Butch was holding out to see if UM were interested in bringing him back. This tells me UM really didn't put the feelers out for Butch.

That means two things - either they aren't interested in Butch, or..wait for it..

Coker could be coming back.

:sidelol:

305TillIDie
11-03-2006, 08:59 PM
It's weird. The same people who reported this were reporting Butch was holding out to see if UM were interested in bringing him back. This tells me UM really didn't put the feelers out for Butch.

That means two things - either they aren't interested in Butch, or..wait for it..

Coker could be coming back.

:sidelol:omg...noooo :lol:

Nappy Roots
11-03-2006, 09:04 PM
why the hell would he go there?

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-03-2006, 09:06 PM
so much for my MSU scoop. :cry:

great hire by UNC...miami needs to go full-blast after schiano now.

DonShula84
11-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Hopefully it takes him a few years to make them good now that they're on ND's schedule

HysterikiLL
11-03-2006, 09:38 PM

I don't want to toot my horn or anything....well, okay actually I do, so BEEP, BEEP!!

I called this hiring all along, and given the fact I'm normally wrong at this intuition business, I might do it again. BEEP BEEP.

:D

Wow, my head is getting big.

Anyway, I really see this UNC program getting turned around. We all know Butch is a great recruiter, but on top of that, UNC currently have the 16th ranked recruiting class per rivals.com including a 5 star stud receiver, as well as a 4 star RB, QB and OT.

DonShula84
11-03-2006, 09:40 PM
CarolinaBlue.com has been told by sources that we trust that North Carolina and Butch Davis have agreed to terms to make Davis the next coach at North Carolina.

According to sources, Davis will likely be the next coach at North Carolina.

At this point we are cautious to describe this as a complete "done deal" as several things may still be in play over the weekend before this becomes finalized. Still, we believe an official announcement could come as early as next week.

We are being cautious because we respect you, our readers, and respect the school.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed but CarolinaBlue.com sources earlier in the week said that North Carolina was prepared to offer nearly $2 million annually for Davis, who will widely be viewed as the best potential coach currently available to the college ranks.

Some info from the article

305TillIDie
11-03-2006, 09:45 PM

great hire by UNC...miami needs to go full-blast after schiano now.:yes:

I hope Paul Dee and President Donna Shalalalalalalalalala do it

ChambersWI
11-03-2006, 10:58 PM
why the hell would he go there?

There are a lot of good football players down in the Carolinas. UNC's coach just wasn't a good recruiter, nor was he a good coach.

Recruiting ability is the biggest key to being successful in college.

Ron Turner was a great coach, people forget that he and Kurt Kitner lead Illinois to the Rose Bowl a couple years ago, he just couldn't recruit. Ron Zook is on the verge of getting the Illini 3 5 star recruits.

Butch will definatly make UNC an ACC contender

Marino2Clayton
11-04-2006, 08:46 AM
[QUOTE=HysterikiLL]Okay, so being ****ing RivalsQUOTE]

Rivals is the sole reason for having an internet connection.

Ferretsquig
11-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Don't get too carried away....its not a done deal yet. And its not "sources"....there is only one source, although a very reliable one, who is reporting this. UNC does make sense for Davis though. The expectations are low after the Bunting debacle, the exposure is high in the ACC, the recruiting grounds are fertile as Brown proved, and the formerly undisputed powers of the ACC are falling.

I always liked Bunting as a coach but for whatever reason his recruiting was just abysmal. Somehow he got a great class this year, so at least he set the foundation for the next coach. UNC should dominate the region recruiting wise....there just aren't any other big time schools here.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-04-2006, 03:11 PM
where do prospects from north carolina generally go?

Wombat
11-04-2006, 03:24 PM

Mostly Tennessee or some schools in the ACC.

byroan
11-04-2006, 03:30 PM

Well you know where Leak went..

McClendon and Mario Williams went to NC State, Massaquoi and Cox went to Georgia. Nicholson went to FSU.

NC State seems to get most of the local prospects.

CrunchTime
11-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Good signing.It should turn that UNC football program around.

Keeping the local prospects at home will be a big step.

MikeO
11-04-2006, 03:54 PM
It's never good for a coach to take a job at a school where his sport isn't the main sport. UNC is, was, and always will be a basketball school first.

WITH THAT SAID, I think Butch did the right thing. The ACC is weak. FSU is down. Miami is dead. And UNC has top facilities and he can turn things around there and become a good football school in that conference. WIth FSU down and Miami dead that conference is there for the taking (long-term wise). Butch can build them up to be a force year in adn year out in a weak ACC.

Good decision by Butch.

ChambersWI
11-04-2006, 11:33 PM

Schiano will not leave Rutgers in the next couple of years. New Jersey kids are starting to stay at home, and he's getting guys from PA and New York

HysterikiLL
11-04-2006, 11:56 PM
[quote=HysterikiLL]Okay, so being ****ing RivalsQUOTE]

Rivals is the sole reason for having an internet connection.

I love Rivals man, don't get me wrong. I only meant it in the sense that I can never read any articles because I have to pay for the damn subscription. I spend a lot of tie on there every day though learning about recruits.

DonShula84
11-04-2006, 11:59 PM
doesnt sound like this is a complete done deal yet, though Butch has ruled out returning to Miami

Davis had expressed interest in a return to Miami in the past, but sources said on Friday night that the coach dismissed the possibility of a return to the university.

Davis also is near the top of the list of candidates to replace John L. Smith at Michigan State, but a source close to Davis says he considers North Carolina to be the more attractive position.

I think he ends up at UNC still, just not official yet. I thought it was kind of odd that his name never came up during the game today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2648903

MikeO
11-05-2006, 01:05 AM
Schiano will not leave Rutgers in the next couple of years. New Jersey kids are starting to stay at home, and he's getting guys from PA and New York

1) You can never win a national title at Rutgers
2) A Miami or Mich St can pay him more $$$$$$$
3) He has Miami roots and runs football camps in Florida still to this day
4) You won't go from Rutgers to the NFL. You can go from U ofMiami or a MIch St to the NFL. Rutgers is a "starter job". A larger school is a "stepping stone" job to the NFL.

I still think Schiano to Miami. But if not he won't be there in 2 years, he will bolt somewhere.

Coral Reefer
11-05-2006, 02:18 AM
:yes:

I hope Paul Dee and President Donna Shalalalalalalalalala do it

I would'nt hold my breath on that one.
I don't see Shalala backing a hard push for anything that has to do with the football program.
I've heard a lot of troubling stuff from a buddy that is a very big booster.

I hope it's all misinformation but we'll see.
How UM handles the program this offseason will tell you all you need to know about where the admin stands as far as supporting it's success.

I haven't read anything about Davis committing to UNC yet so this all seems a bit premature on the Butch to UNC front.

Kdawg954
11-05-2006, 09:36 AM
The only reason I am iffy on Butch is that I dont know if he wants to coach in college . . . I think he would much rather be back in the NFL. HOwever he is gonna have to bring some magic back into a program like he did at Miami. I would love for him to come back here, but not at the expense of him leaving in a few years to jump back to the NFL.

nyjunc
11-05-2006, 10:05 AM

Schiano is definitely going to leave, he'd be stupid to stay. his stock is as high as it will get w/ Rutgers being overranked thanks to being unbeaten against a weak HS schedule.

doesnt sound like this is a complete done deal yet, though Butch has ruled out returning to Miami

I think he ends up at UNC still, just not official yet. I thought it was kind of odd that his name never came up during the game today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2648903

Nothing is official until it's announced. back in '00 we heard Roy was a done deal to coach the basketball team and he stayed at kansas then the same thing w/ Frank beamer the next year and he stayed at Va tech.

MikeO
11-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Butch might have something in place for the Cowboys job. Maybe he told UNC I gotta wait and see if I am offered the Cowboys job before he commits to UNC.

Parcells is done after this year and Butch is one name on a short list for that job.

Something else to consider

Ferretsquig
11-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Davis was a lousy pro coach....I don't know why anyone would hire him. He excels at one thing, recruiting. He consistantly brought in top classes to Miami and just had more talent than everyone else. Everyone is trying to get Coker fired.....look what he did with Butch's talent. But like we have seen with Brown in Texas and while he was at UNC, coaches who recruit and hire competent coordinators can go a long ways.

As for the "basketball school" label, its nonsense. UNC may be known more for its basketball team nationally but its the football squad that makes the coin. And one doesn't have to go too far back in history to find carolina squads that were better than their hoops counterparts.

MikeO
11-05-2006, 01:25 PM
Davis was a lousy pro coach....I don't know why anyone would hire him. He excels at one thing, recruiting. He consistantly brought in top classes to Miami and just had more talent than everyone else. Everyone is trying to get Coker fired.....look what he did with Butch's talent. But like we have seen with Brown in Texas and while he was at UNC, coaches who recruit and hire competent coordinators can go a long ways.

As for the "basketball school" label, its nonsense. UNC may be known more for its basketball team nationally but its the football squad that makes the coin. And one doesn't have to go too far back in history to find carolina squads that were better than their hoops counterparts.

Belichick was a lousy pro coach his first go-around as well. :shakeno: :shakeno:

and Butch DID take the Cleveland Browns to the playoffs. He wasn't that awful

nyjunc
11-05-2006, 02:32 PM

He didn't do a terrible job in Cleveland, people forget he guided them to the playoffs in '02 and no Cle coach before or since(since they came back in '99) has come close to doing that.

There weren't many UNC FB teams better than the basketball team except maybe the '01-'02 schol year when the heels were terrible in BB. The best heels football teams were '96 and '97('96-'97 school year and '97-'98) and UNC BB made the FF in both of those school years.

Ferretsquig
11-06-2006, 10:27 AM
What Butch did a terrible job of and what I think truely seperates college from pro coaches is talent evaluation. He ruined that team. Coaches like Belichick have the ability to pick players that will fit into their schemes and that they can coach. College coaches just go after the top athletes. If you listen to the two talk you can understand why one is a great pro and the other a great college coach. Butch is a suave salesman, and a great recruiter.

As for UNC basketball vs football predominance, it has shifted in the last couple decades when Dean was getting every recruit he wanted and the last decade of turmoil in the football program. But the reason the alumni and fanbase is still very large, and the reason the contributions keep flooding in, is the two decades prior. This isn't a school like Miami....tradition looms large. And the memory of a great football program is still in the minds of alumni from that time period. It just so happens those are the ones currently head of the Rams club, which pays 3/4 of the coach's salary and contributes millions to the athletic programs campus wide.

MikeO
11-06-2006, 10:52 AM
How did Butch ruin that team?? He was the ONLY one to take them to the playoffs since they have been back

And Belichick was labled as a bad "pro" coach way back in the day after he failed at his first NFL Job

DBoston80
11-06-2006, 12:42 PM
How did Butch ruin that team?? He was the ONLY one to take them to the playoffs since they have been back

And Belichick was labled as a bad "pro" coach way back in the day after he failed at his first NFL Job

Im not sure if Butch had total control the whole time..but that team drafted worse than anyone I have ever seen up until the past two years.....needless to say whoever was making the personell decisions "ruined" the team.

Ferretsquig
11-06-2006, 02:47 PM

You can label Belichick whatever you want. Noone has ever questioned his ability to coach defense or find players on that side of the ball.

Butch Davis ruined the team.....total destruction. All by himself. If you are ever depressed about a phins draft go look at his record over 4 years. These were high first round picks.....you want to guess how many starters there are for the Browns out of those 39 picks? I mean most people can randomly pick out of a hat and find more talent than he did.

nyjunc
11-06-2006, 04:26 PM
What Butch did a terrible job of and what I think truely seperates college from pro coaches is talent evaluation. He ruined that team. Coaches like Belichick have the ability to pick players that will fit into their schemes and that they can coach. College coaches just go after the top athletes. If you listen to the two talk you can understand why one is a great pro and the other a great college coach. Butch is a suave salesman, and a great recruiter.

keep in mind Belichick was a complete failure his first time around w/ Cle in the arly-mis 90s. To write off a coach after 1 job- he did a better job than people think- is a mistake.

vmarcilfan75
11-06-2006, 05:44 PM
hope its not offical yet since i hope UCLA fires Dorrell and hires Butch

ChambersWI
11-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Im not sure if Butch had total control the whole time..but that team drafted worse than anyone I have ever seen up until the past two years.....needless to say whoever was making the personell decisions "ruined" the team.

he did have complete control. What hurt him though was after William Green's rookie year (which was pretty good), Green rarely saw the field, and then Lee Suggs kept getting hurt. Also, he never had a QB or a go to WR.

Their 04 draft class did not give them much production has rookies, same with their 03 class (though Faine is having a great year in New Orleans)

MikeO
11-07-2006, 02:40 AM
You can label Belichick whatever you want. Noone has ever questioned his ability to coach defense or find players on that side of the ball.

THEY DID IN CLEVELAND back in the day!!!!!!!!!!

MikeO
11-07-2006, 02:40 AM
Butch Davis ruined the team.....total destruction. All by himself. If you are ever depressed about a phins draft go look at his record over 4 years. These were high first round picks.....you want to guess how many starters there are for the Browns out of those 39 picks? I mean most people can randomly pick out of a hat and find more talent than he did.

And Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark had nothing to do with that???

Please, go read up on your NFL history when it comes to this subject!!!

nyjunc
11-07-2006, 06:46 AM

They did leave Butch w/ Tim Couch as the QB, davis not only made the postseason w/ Cle but did so w/ Tim Couch as the starter for 14 games.

Ferretsquig
11-07-2006, 09:32 AM

How many of those great players he drafted are starting for the Browns?

nyjunc
11-07-2006, 09:46 AM
How many of those great players he drafted are starting for the Browns?

it's not his fault those players succeeded elsewhere afetr he left. In '01 he drafted gerard Warren who was a solid player in Cle and now is on Den, Quincy Morgan who was a good WR under Davis, Anthony henry who has been a startersince his 2nd yr. In '02 he drafted William Green who started out well, Andre davis who was a good WR under davis. In '03 he drafted jeff faine hwo has been a starter from day 1(now on NO), Lee suggs who was good when healthy. in '04 he selected kellen Winslow who now healthy is proving why he was taken so high, Sean jones who killed us 2 weeks ago and is starting for the first time this year. That's not a bad job and he wouldn't be a GM w/ another NFL team, alot of good-great coaches struggle as GM like parcells, holmgren, Shanahan for years until last year when he finally did some good things, ...

Ferretsquig
11-07-2006, 12:16 PM
That's not a bad job

Heres a task then. Name me one team that got less out of a four year span of drafting.

nyjunc
11-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Heres a task then. Name me one team that got less out of a four year span of drafting.

I can do it. Just go check out Parcell's drafts from '97-'99 w/ the jets. it's only 3 years but have a glance. I'll look up other teams later but i know fro a fact that his drafts were MUCH better than our drafts under BP.

SCall13
11-07-2006, 01:10 PM
I hope it's true that UNC got him. I'm a Tarheel fan. Not a huge Tarheel football fan (huge basketball). UNC football doesn't really give much to get excited about. Davis could change that.

Ferretsquig
11-07-2006, 03:21 PM
I can do it. Just go check out Parcell's drafts from '97-'99 w/ the jets. it's only 3 years but have a glance. I'll look up other teams later but i know fro a fact that his drafts were MUCH better than our drafts under BP.

I did....not too shabby. For all the Jet's fans continual bitching about Parcells he did all right. No first rounders for two years straight and he manages to get Farrior, Ferguson, Ward, Fabini, and Randy Thomas. Thats what, one pro-bowler a year? Thats about what Jimmy did here with Taylor, Madison and Surtain over the same stretch. No complaints here.

nyjunc
11-07-2006, 04:21 PM
I did....not too shabby. For all the Jet's fans continual bitching about Parcells he did all right. No first rounders for two years straight and he manages to get Farrior, Ferguson, Ward, Fabini, and Randy Thomas. Thats what, one pro-bowler a year? Thats about what Jimmy did here with Taylor, Madison and Surtain over the same stretch. No complaints here.

Not one of those guys made a PB w/ the Jets and the only one who has made one is farrior. He got farrior AFTER trading down from the #1 pick and farrior w/ us wasn't the Farrior that has been in Pitt, freg was a good pick, Dedric Ward was noting more than a #3, fabini a solid RT, Thomas a good Guard but you failed to mention:

Rick Terry, terry Day, Lamont Burns, Raymond Austin, Tim Scharf, Chuck Clements, Steve Rosga, Dorian Boose, Scott frost, Casey Dailey, Doug Karczewski, Blake Spence, Eric bateman, Eric Ogbogu, Chris Brazzell,Dustin Johnson, Lawrence Hart, David loverne, jason Wiltz, Jermaine Jones, Marc megna, JJ Syrud.

Ferretsquig
11-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Thomas made it in '03. I didn't know Fabini never did....he was a good player for a while. He certainly missed a lot, but then again so did Jimmy. JJ just always manged to get a starter in the late rounds. Anyways the point remains. Butch had very high selections and what he had to pay those guys vs what he got out of them.....it had a serious impact on that team. If he had hit right just once a year like Parcells did he may still have a job.

nyjunc
11-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Thomas made it in '03. I didn't know Fabini never did....he was a good player for a while. He certainly missed a lot, but then again so did Jimmy. JJ just always manged to get a starter in the late rounds. Anyways the point remains. Butch had very high selections and what he had to pay those guys vs what he got out of them.....it had a serious impact on that team. If he had hit right just once a year like Parcells did he may still have a job.

He wasn't a Jet in 2003 and he did not make it in 2003, he was a THIRD alternate.

http://www.redskins.com/team/profile.jsp?id=321

Butch hit more than once per year:

'01 Gerard Warren, Quincy Morgan, Anthony Henry
'02 William Green, Andre Davis
'03 Jeff faine
'04 Kellen Winslow, Sean Jones

Ferretsquig
11-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Ok man...I can see you shall believe whatever it is you have convinced yourself....Butch is a fantastic talent evaluator and he'll be the next head coach/GM of the Cowboys. Enjoy the fantasy till it ends I guess.

Anyways if the UNC rumors are true hes here for the next five years at a cool 2 mil per. Its going to take a couple years...the O and DLines are a mess, but hopefully he can glue something together and get a watchable product on the field. UNC is going to have a hell of a lot of skill position talent next year....he needs to find an OCoordinater that knows how to utilize it.

nyjunc
11-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Ok man...I can see you shall believe whatever it is you have convinced yourself....Butch is a fantastic talent evaluator and he'll be the next head coach/GM of the Cowboys. Enjoy the fantasy till it ends I guess.

Accept the fact I have proven your notions wrong, don't be condescending towards me- I always treat you w/ respect and I expect the same in return. I never said butch was great, is said his drafts were not bad and they weren't. he did a decent job in Cle, things soured in '04 for whatever reason. he began to lose the team and they made a chang but pre-Butch and post-Butch the Browns have been a disaster while they were at least competitive(and even a playoff team 1 year) under Butch.

I also said he won't be a GM w/ his next job in the NFL(if he got another chance) so his tarck record as a GM is irrelevent. If he ever gets another job it will be w/ a GM in place where he can just concentrate on coaching.

As for UNC, they have talent. there's no way this tem should be as bad as they are this year. They'll be competitive from the start under Butch and hopefully in a few years after a few of his classes they can compete for ACC Titles.

Ferretsquig
11-08-2006, 10:10 AM
No need to get personal

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Edited.
there's no reason for that.

nyjunc
11-08-2006, 11:13 AM
there's no reason for that.

especially after I proved all his theories wrong. I just lost a ton of respect for him, insteasd of countering my opinion he takes the low blow but that happens alot of times when people know they are wrong.

By the way ferret: I never said warren was a great player nor did I say he livd up to draft position BUT he was a solid starter in Cle and has continued that in Den. He drafted alot of quality starters and he had them in the playoffs in year 2. he had some bad luck w/ injuries and w/ the QB he was left w/ but overall he did a decent job.

Ferretsquig
11-08-2006, 01:05 PM
No need for that? I thought I was being gentle. This guy insults my intellegence and preens his ego and I'm not allowed to repond?

Man I sure hope you aren't a UNC alum. That would be depressing.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-08-2006, 02:08 PM
davis is a great college coach and recruiter, no reason to be upset over this.

nyjunc
11-08-2006, 03:56 PM
No need for that? I thought I was being gentle. This guy insults my intellegence and preens his ego and I'm not allowed to repond?

Man I sure hope you aren't a UNC alum. That would be depressing.

Where did I insult your intelligence? You are a very fragile person to go off like this during this discussion. As I posted yesterday I have always treated you w/ respect and in this thread you started to act like a 12 year old who didn't get their way. I proved what you said was wrong(remember the parcells drafted a PB player a year? and NONE of those guys were PBers) and you cannot accept that. I'm fine w/ that but at least come back at me w/ some info to back up your argument but instead you resorted to silly put downs and you continue to do so today for some reason and now you are saying I insulted your intelligence. please show me where? All I did was refute statements you made and I backed it up w/ facts.

HysterikiLL
11-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Why the hell does it say on the front page of this forum that this thread was started by 'ferretsquig' :confused:

nyjunc
11-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Apparently it's a done deal, Butch davis will be the next HC at UNC.

nyjunc
11-08-2006, 05:08 PM
http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ/MGArticle/WSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149191587127

Ferretsquig
11-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Way to bungle it up again Dicky. He wanted to postpone it till after the homecoming game....now he lets it leak and he will be forced to make an announcement or it already will be a joke come Sunday. But at least they didn't give him top dollar. And the Rams club is paying 80%, so no big deal for the school.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-08-2006, 07:09 PM
just saw on ESPNEWS that it's official: UNC hires Butch Davis.

DonShula84
11-09-2006, 04:20 AM
According to his agent this isnt done yet lol.

Despite reports indicating that North Carolina had hired Butch Davis as its football coach Wednesday, Davis' agent said there is no agreement.

Citing an anonymous source, the Winston-Salem Journal reported on its Web site Wednesday that former Miami Hurricanes and Cleveland Browns coach Davis had signed a contract with North Carolina.

Marvin Demoff, Davis' agent, said Wednesday evening that nothing has been finalized. He said reports indicating that Davis has signed with North Carolina are inaccurate, and it will be next week before anything is "really going to happen."

"I think there's interest in both parties," Demoff said. "We look forward to continuing discussions with that, but there is no agreement."

At least two other Web sites posted reports indicating Davis had signed, but North Carolina Associate Athletics Director for Communications Steve Kirschner said no contract had been signed.

"There is no news on the coaching search today," Kirschner said Wednesday.

DonShula84
11-13-2006, 05:52 PM
It's official now

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2659982