PDA

View Full Version : Oakland A's to build stadium

MikeO
11-07-2006, 04:16 PM
$300 mill privately funded stadium.

Obviously this franchise has money stashed away someplace.

byroan
11-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Wish it was the Marlins.

Motion
11-07-2006, 04:51 PM
San Jose A's

:lol:

Amars
11-07-2006, 04:54 PM
I heard it was in San Jose.

Motion
11-07-2006, 04:56 PM
I heard it was in San Jose.

:yes:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6146754

MikeO
11-07-2006, 05:11 PM
But they consider San Jose part of the Oakland market.

Rocky Raccoon
11-07-2006, 05:31 PM
But they consider San Jose part of the Oakland market.
yea that's what I thought.

Good for the A's.

AirMarino83
11-07-2006, 05:34 PM
sad for oakland. its more than 30 mins away from oaktown in fremont. im sure the park will be sick though.

Ray Finkle
11-07-2006, 07:48 PM
sad for oakland. its more than 30 mins away from oaktown in fremont. im sure the park will be sick though.

Don't feel bad. Oakland can't draw a crowd, and the stadium sucks for baseball games. The action is just too far away. A new stadium and money will make this team very very good.

UCFinfan86
11-07-2006, 07:53 PM
The raiders are staying in the colissuem right?

unifiedtheory
11-07-2006, 08:45 PM
:mdfin::mdfin::mdfin::mdfin::mdfin:

Ray Finkle
11-07-2006, 09:39 PM

I'm sure they will. The place just isn't good for a baseball game because it's so big (ditto for the Marlins). All the action is so far away. Plus Oakland isn't a good baseball market, they can't draw fans. During playoff games they couldn't even sell out the place, and I'm not talking about the upper deck used for football.

RWhitney014
11-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Actually, San Jose belongs to San Francisco. The stadium site is in Fremont, which is closer to San Jose than it is to Oakland, but as the law stands now, they can not be called the San Jose A's (San JosA's?) if they want that without SF's blessing. Then again, there couldn't be a team in D.C. until Peter Angelos allowed the TV rights to go through that region and they re$olved that rather quickly.

Ray Finkle
11-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Actually, San Jose belongs to San Francisco. The stadium site is in Fremont, which is closer to San Jose than it is to Oakland, but as the law stands now, they can not be called the San Jose A's (San JosA's?) if they want that without SF's blessing. Then again, there couldn't be a team in D.C. until Peter Angelos allowed the TV rights to go through that region and they re$olved that rather quickly.

California A's. Bay City A's. Something will be worked out.

Roman529
11-08-2006, 12:19 AM

The Raiders should only play college football teams until Al retires. :lol:

unifiedtheory
11-08-2006, 12:32 AM
California A's. Bay City A's. Something will be worked out.

As long as they keep the Athletic's name I don't care of they move to the Moon to be honest, just getting a new ballpark makes me VERY happy.

Rocky Raccoon
11-08-2006, 12:42 AM
As long as they keep the Athletic's name I don't care of they move to the Moon to be honest, just getting a new ballpark makes me VERY happy.
what about the Uranus A's? would you still root for them?

Ray Finkle
11-08-2006, 01:08 AM

They probably will keep the name since it's been around for almost forever. When they moved from Philly they still kept the name, so I don't see why they wouldn't keep the name this time.

Now all they need is to get different uniforms and colors....

unifiedtheory
11-08-2006, 01:32 AM
They probably will keep the name since it's been around for almost forever. When they moved from Philly they still kept the name, so I don't see why they wouldn't keep the name this time.

No!!!!!!!!! I love those uni's!:lol:

Rocky Raccoon
11-08-2006, 10:08 AM

the green and yellow are nice IM0.

nyjunc
11-08-2006, 11:18 AM
I'm sure they will. The place just isn't good for a baseball game because it's so big (ditto for the Marlins). All the action is so far away. Plus Oakland isn't a good baseball market, they can't draw fans. During playoff games they couldn't even sell out the place, and I'm not talking about the upper deck used for football.

I don't know, I could definitely see Davis moving them back to LA. The league desperately wants a team in LA and if some of the other candidtates don't pan out the raiders could move back.

This would be the 4th City if they cnaged the City name- they went from Philly to KC to oak so I am sure they'll keep the A's name.

Dolfan984
11-08-2006, 04:44 PM
San Jose is only like 15-20 mins from San Fran but about 30 from Oakland, and now it'll take an hour and 15 mins instead of 40 mins to see an A's game for me. :(

But yeah, anything east of San Fran is mostly suburbs, nothing major until you hit sacramento, so San Jose is definitely the best choice IMO.

TheJetsBlow
11-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Wish it was the Marlins.

My thoughts exactly.

TheJetsBlow
11-08-2006, 10:59 PM
San Jose is only like 15-20 mins from San Fran but about 30 from Oakland, and now it'll take an hour and 15 mins instead of 40 mins to see an A's game for me. :(

But yeah, anything east of San Fran is mostly suburbs, nothing major until you hit sacramento, so San Jose is definitely the best choice IMO.

My question is this: Isn't Oakland right across the Bay from San Fran? I though they were the same market, though they're saying San Jose is part of the San Francisco market. Wouldn't it then make it part of one big tri-city market with San Francisco and Oakland? The 3 cities are within 40 minutes of each other.

RWhitney014
11-09-2006, 12:23 AM
My question is this: Isn't Oakland right across the Bay from San Fran? I though they were the same market, though they're saying San Jose is part of the San Francisco market. Wouldn't it then make it part of one big tri-city market with San Francisco and Oakland? The 3 cities are within 40 minutes of each other.

They are the same market for some sports, not for others. In MLB and NFL, they have 2 teams, so the markets are essentially divided into East (Oakland and suburbs) and West Bay (San Francisco/Jose). But in the NBA and NHL, the Bay Area only has one team, so those teams get the whole chunk. Proximity doesn't really have an effect on market that much, or there wouldn't be two Chicago baseball teams or two Los Angeles basketball teams, etc. What matters is dividing up the areas in which each team can make the most profits, and that's what the leagues try to do.