PDA

View Full Version : SEC with a little egg on their face

MikeO
11-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Mike T the commish of the BIG EAST got sick of listening to the crap coming out of the mouths of the SEC schools. He came out and brought up 2 points..

1) L'ville the past 2 years has offered EVERY SEC school a home-n-home and some schools a 2-1 (2 at your house, 1 in L'ville) every school turned them down!!!

2) The SEC commish and presidents of the schools has led the charge the past few years to NOT have a playoff. Even standing by that stance after Auburn was screwed a couple years back. He said they almost had enough votes for a 4 team playoff or at worst a +1 game, but the SEC shot it down. So, NOW for the SEC or Florida to cry foul about being the "best 1-loss team" or up until last night "better than an unbeaten L'ville".....they have no leg to stand on. Because this is the system THEY wanted!!!!!

Mike T said he hates talking about details of what goes on behind closed doors and what is said there should stay there. But he said he couldn't take the crying from the SEC schools anymore because this is the system THEY pushed for and wanted!! Now THEY have it and are unhappy with it.

(for those who don't know the SEC was the conference that started the BCS, they were the one's who came up with the idea and it's their baby. And they have a lot of power over it)

Motion
11-10-2006, 11:59 AM
You got a link for all this info? I'd be interested in reading more about this. I didn't realize the BCS was the SEC's idea. I haven't heard anyone from the SEC crying about anything other than Tuberville.

OSUDauby
11-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Trollng and annoyance.Take some time off

MikeO
11-10-2006, 12:33 PM
You got a link for all this info? I'd be interested in reading more about this. I didn't realize the BCS was the SEC's idea. I haven't heard anyone from the SEC crying about anything other than Tuberville.

Urban Myer has been doing a bunch of crying.

Here is an article from a couple weeks ago. About 1/4 down it talks about the SEC and their former commish as the one who invented the BCS.. http://sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9763796

Mike T did a bunch of radio shows yesterday. The one on WFAN. It isn't archived on their website but it might sometime this weekend get put up there. ANd the one on FOX was a doozy he blasted everyone and called them out.

NJFINSFAN1
11-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Not many big conferences want to play Big East Teams, Notre Dame and Maryland stepped up and scheduled Rutgers, Kudos to them.

Motion
11-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Urban Myer has been doing a bunch of crying.

Here is an article from a couple weeks ago. About 1/4 down it talks about the SEC and their former commish as the one who invented the BCS.. http://sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9763796

Mike T did a bunch of radio shows yesterday. The one on WFAN. It isn't archived on their website but it might sometime this weekend get put up there. ANd the one on FOX was a doozy he blasted everyone and called them out.
Interesting, sounds like a bitter Big East fan.

And I'd love to see some evidence Meyer has been crying about the BCS. I've seen or heard nothing of the sort. From what I have read I don't believe that for one second.

NJFINSFAN1
11-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Interesting, sounds like a bitter Big East fan.

And I'd love to see some evidence Meyer has been crying about the BCS. I've seen or heard nothing of the sort.

I have not heard Meyer, but I do know the big Conferences have tried to shut out the Big East, but they are going to have a hard time doing so now. Maryland and Notre Dame stepped up, now other schools will also.

Motion
11-10-2006, 12:49 PM
I have not heard Meyer, but I do know the big Conferences have tried to shut out the Big East, but they are going to have a hard time doing so now. Maryland and Notre Dame stepped up, now other schools will also.

I don't doubt that at all.

MikeO
11-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Not many big conferences want to play Big East Teams, Notre Dame and Maryland stepped up and scheduled Rutgers, Kudos to them.

ND has no choice they have to schedule a certain amount of Big East teams. That's part of the deal for them to get our lower level bowl bids in years they don't make a BCS bowl.

MikeO
11-10-2006, 01:01 PM
And I'd love to see some evidence Meyer has been crying about the BCS. I've seen or heard nothing of the sort. From what I have read I don't believe that for one second.

Do you live in a bubble?? Urban has been going off about this for weeks. Here is 1 of his many crying rants.... http://simononsports.blogspot.com/

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/sports/116306779419520.xml&coll=3

Motion
11-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Do you live in a bubble?? Urban has been going off about this for weeks. Here is 1 of his many crying rants.... http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/sports/116306779419520.xml&coll=3
Based on that article and his history and experience in the matter at Utah I'd hardly consider that "crying". To each their own. ALOT of people would agree with the points he made. Not to mention the second rate news sources, your gonna bring up some random guy's blog as evidence? Come on now.

Oboy
11-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Only interesting bits I find in these is that the FORMER SEC pres was the originator of the BCS. DID NOT know that. Also interesting this year the SEC is moderating (was that the word used?) the BSC. Very interesting stuff.

Can you really blame the SEC teams for not wanting to schedule Louisville? I mean they are (at the very least) a solid team. EVERY team in the SEC plays 4 or 5 really good teams. WHY add another? Especially when the ACC, BIG 12, BIG 10 only play 2 or 3 tough games a year. It just does not add up. The SEC teams already have some of the toughest schedules in the nation!

About Meyer... I think you are grabbing at straws there Mike O. Sorry I don't buy that one. He has been pretty cordial about the whole mess that is the BCS. Now there have been plenty of other coaches whining (Tuberville for one)...

I just wish they could change the BCS.

Oboy
11-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Trollng and annoyance.Take some time off
Is it bad that this makes me smile? :D

Motion
11-10-2006, 02:29 PM

:lol: I hope not.

Cuban Dave 9
11-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Do you live in a bubble?? Urban has been going off about this for weeks. Here is 1 of his many crying rants.... http://simononsports.blogspot.com/

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/sports/116306779419520.xml&coll=3
a blog?

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-10-2006, 02:30 PM
he had his chances. oh well.

LouPhinFan
11-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Georgia is the only SEC team besides Kentucky to sign a contract with Louisville. We play them in 2010 and 2012. I agree with them. With their conference schedule, why should they schedule anyone but nonconference cupcakes? You're going to start seeing the OSU-Texas type games disappear. Its just a by-product of this stupid BCS system.

All this about the "haves (major conferences and ND) and the have nots (everyone else)." Now the "haves" (SEC, Big 10, PAC 10) are trying to give the shaft to other "haves" (Big East). Its all about greed and money. IMHO this is only going to keep getting bigger year in and year out until they have to accept some type of playoff. I think they lucked out this year since Louisville got beat. If U of L had won out, there would have been some major issues to address by the other conferences. Now one of the other schools with 1 loss (probably Florida or TX) will step into the championship. Unfortunately I think its going to take a major act of God for Rutgers to make it into the BCS championship.

Cuban Dave 9
11-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Yes FSU is a cupcake nonconference team the Gators face every year...Heck every few years we play FSU AND Miami

Cuban Dave 9
11-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Yes FSU is a cupcake nonconference team the Gators face every year...Heck every few years we play FSU AND Miami
To add...how many tough nonconference games is one supposed to have with only one bye week in the season?

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Georgia is the only SEC team besides Kentucky to sign a contract with Louisville. We play them in 2010 and 2012. I agree with them. With their conference schedule, why should they schedule anyone but nonconference cupcakes? You're going to start seeing the OSU-Texas type games disappear. Its just a by-product of this stupid BCS system.
with a playoff you'd see even less big scheduled regular season games like ohio state/texas.

Cuban Dave 9
11-10-2006, 02:45 PM
with a playoff you'd see even less big scheduled regular season games like ohio state/texas.
:yes:

Marino2Clayton
11-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Everyone wants to take potshots at the undisputed King of college football for 2006... the SEC.

NJFINSFAN1
11-10-2006, 03:07 PM

Not at all!!!!:wink:

nyjunc
11-11-2006, 08:53 AM

WVU and Louisville have now earned the opportunity to play big teams, Rutgers is in the process. Both WVU and UL could have scheduled tougher non-conf games, this is just more BE spin. The 3 teams are good but the BE is so brutal after thm that it was a given they'd go unbeaten except when they played each other.

LouPhinFan
11-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Both WVU and UL could have scheduled tougher non-conf games, this is just more BE spin.

You just can't go out there and say "we're U of L and WVU, we're good, now schedule us!" It doesn't work like that. U of L has been trying to schedule the best opponents for a few years now, but if no one wants to play you there's not much you can do about it.:rolleyes:

nyjunc
11-11-2006, 12:22 PM
You just can't go out there and say "we're U of L and WVU, we're good, now schedule us!" It doesn't work like that. U of L has been trying to schedule the best opponents for a few years now, but if no one wants to play you there's not much you can do about it.:rolleyes:

When you are on the bottom you need to be flexible, don't expect a home and home. Go on the road and play big teams first, prove you are worthy and the home and homes will follow.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-11-2006, 12:25 PM
that's not true at all. if rutgers schedules a game at ohio state and OSU barely escapes with a win, they're never going to schedule them again.

IN-FIN-ITY
11-11-2006, 12:34 PM
There Are 3 Big Big East Teams West Va. , Louisville,

And Now Rutgers... The Sec Has Been A Powerhouse Forever And

Still Is Lsu , Auburn And Florida Will Be There Till The End..

Kev83
11-11-2006, 01:07 PM
Many of the SEC schools look to play one big out of conference each year and swap it up, often the home and home deal.

Most of the SEC schools try and sign traditional powerhouses, as many of the SEC schools are in the top teams of all time. Examples have been Notre Dame UT, Bama and Fla. St. next yr (or Penn St. in a few yrs), Auburn and USC a couple yrs ago, UF and Miami (set to come again soon).

Eventually the up and coming teams will get that shot, I just think some of these schools are waiting to see if the programs have longeveity, b/c they are banking on that 1 scheduled game to boost their BCS ranking (should they win).

Think about it, makes some sense.

Nappy Roots
11-11-2006, 02:05 PM
1) L'ville the past 2 years has offered EVERY SEC school a home-n-home and some schools a 2-1 (2 at your house, 1 in L'ville) every school turned them down!!!

their in the SEC, why the hell would they schedule a incredibly hard non-conference schedule?

that would be moronic.

Amars
11-11-2006, 03:29 PM
their in the SEC, why the hell would they schedule a incredibly hard non-conference schedule?

that would be moronic.

Why not? If they are the best prove it.

SECfootball
11-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Why not? If they are the best prove it.

Almost every school in the SEC schedules at least one quality out of conference team. You can't say the same about Big East schools.

nyjunc
11-11-2006, 03:41 PM
that's not true at all. if rutgers schedules a game at ohio state and OSU barely escapes with a win, they're never going to schedule them again.

They would and if they didn't another big time program would b/c they'd see RU is legit and can help them in the BCS.

ganooch
11-11-2006, 05:31 PM
There Are 3 Big Big East Teams West Va. , Louisville,

And Now Rutgers... The Sec Has Been A Powerhouse Forever And

Still Is Lsu , Auburn And Florida Will Be There Till The End..
LSU....done,
Auburn....done
Florida.....?

MikeO
11-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Almost every school in the SEC schedules at least one quality out of conference team. You can't say the same about Big East schools.

Cincy--Ohio St, VT
Syracuse--Iowa, Wake Forest
WV---Maryland (who will play for the ACC championship probably)
L'ville---Miami, Kentucky
Pitt---Virigina, Mich St
UCONN--Wake Forest, Indiana, Navy
Rutgers--Navy

at least 1.....I think so. I know you might laugh at Navy but they are 7-3 this year agaisnt a solid schedule.

LouPhinFan
11-11-2006, 11:11 PM
When you are on the bottom you need to be flexible, don't expect a home and home. Go on the road and play big teams first, prove you are worthy and the home and homes will follow.

Why would a school like Louisville sign a contract for one away game? :confused: That would be pretty stupid. Smaller schools do that for the money, but U of L no longer falls under that classification.

Like Mike O. said earlier in this thread, U of L even offered 1 game in Louisville and 2 away games to some teams and they still got turned down. They even offered "neutral site" games to no avail. They tried to get ESPN envolved to "twist" some SEC arms and that didn't work either. They're working on Notre Dame right now for a series. We had a game against Oregon State at home last year, and we go up there in 2008. I wonder if U of L has approached USC? That would be a good game.

Kev83
11-12-2006, 04:21 AM
Cincy--Ohio St, VT
Pitt---Virigina, Mich St
Rutgers--Navy

at least 1.....I think so. I know you might laugh at Navy but they are 7-3 this year agaisnt a solid schedule.

I'm laughing at a lot more than Navy; mainly your judgement of "quality."

I just want to make sure you included Kentucky, Virginia, Michigan St, Indiana, and Navy on this list. Go home, rewrite this post, and I'll only count you off a few points on next week's assignment.

Also, what is your basis of this quality? Should I judge this by how well the teams are doing on this list or by how well they were expected to be when scheduled? Whichever way you choose, eliminate either Wake Forest or Miami Canes (and possibly Maryland).

So for sure I'll give you Ohio St, VT, and Iowa.
Great post, pal.

MikeO
11-12-2006, 10:10 AM
So for sure I'll give you Ohio St, VT, and Iowa.
Great post, pal.

WF and Maryland aren't quality?? Maryland will be playing for the ACC title, they aren't quality. LOL LOL LOL LOL OL

Ok nuff said. You better go re-write!

nyjunc
11-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Cincy--Ohio St, VT
Pitt---Virigina, Mich St
Rutgers--Navy

I don't care about the bad BE teams, I am just focusing on the top 3:

Marland is a mid of the pack ACC team and that's the only halway decent non-conf team WVU played. MD might make the ACC title game but that has more to do w/ the rest of the conf being so bad this year.

UL scheduld Miami but their bad luck had Miami bad this year(actually good lukl b/c if it was typical Miami UL wouldn't have had a chance to beat them). Kentucky as a quality opponent?:lol:

When Navy is the marquee team on your non-conf sched you might as well start to scheule HS teams. Navy is good for a servise Academy and Paul johnson has done a great job there but they aren't a good team. Navy would be good on the sched if RU scheduld top 20 team or 2 but when they are the marquee team then there's a major problem.

Why would a school like Louisville sign a contract for one away game? :confused: That would be pretty stupid. Smaller schools do that for the money, but U of L no longer falls under that classification.

NOW they don't but when they were making these scheds they di and I give UL credit- they did schedule Miami which figured to be a loss when they signed the deal but Miami stinks this year.

WF and Maryland aren't quality?? Maryland will be playing for the ACC title, they aren't quality. LOL LOL LOL LOL OL

Maryland is not quality. The ACC is bad this year(think the typical BE that's how bad they have been). MD has 1 quality win all year, they lstruggled w/ William and Mary and Mid ten State, they beat Florida Int'l by 4 and in their current 5 game win streak they have won by an average of 2.6 PPG.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-12-2006, 11:29 AM
:rolleyes: really nitpicking here. maryland is a good team who could win the ACC. same with wake forest. they're out of conference teams, and they're good. going overboard just to prove a point means you have no point.

MikeO
11-12-2006, 12:15 PM
:rolleyes: really nitpicking here. maryland is a good team who could win the ACC. same with wake forest. they're out of conference teams, and they're good. going overboard just to prove a point means you have no point.

:yeahthat:

Kev83
11-12-2006, 02:30 PM

MikeO,

I asked you to give some kind of criterion (I know thats hard) for distinguishing these teams. Is it how good they were anticipated to be when scheduled or how well they are currently performing? As I said in my post, that dwindles your list down even more.
Example a) Miami Hurricanes favorerd to do well, and a perennial powerhouse. This year, well, not so much.
Example b) Wake Forest the bottom of the ACC when scheduled and known by little more than a few offensive players from their past. This year they're in the ACC hunt (along with mediocore Maryland).

So, which is it?
I'd like to give you 50% of that original list (so the better answer is to say how the teams are performing now). Just say that, pal. Then I'll give you an extra team or two.

Any reason why you're so non-SEC? Grow up playing field hockey?

MikeO
11-12-2006, 02:33 PM
MikeO,

I asked you to give some kind of criterion (I know thats hard) for distinguishing these teams. Is it how good they were anticipated to be when scheduled or how well they are currently performing? As I said in my post, that dwindles your list down even more.
Example a) Miami Hurricanes favorerd to do well, and a perennial powerhouse. This year, well, not so much.
Example b) Wake Forest the bottom of the ACC when scheduled and known by little more than a few offensive players from their past. This year they're in the ACC hunt (along with mediocore Maryland).

So, which is it?
I'd like to give you 50% of that original list (so the better answer is to say how the teams are performing now). Just say that, pal. Then I'll give you an extra team or two.

Any reason why you're so non-SEC? Grow up playing field hockey?

I would give a more in-depth response, but with your personal shots Im not going to waste my time in childish games. But.....

Im not non-SEC.

i live in reality. You can't say Maryland and WF are not a good OOC team to play when they might win the ACC

Kev83
11-12-2006, 02:47 PM
I would give a more in-depth response, but with your personal shots Im not going to waste my time in childish games. But.....

Im not non-SEC.

i live in reality. You can't say Maryland and WF are not a good OOC team to play when they might win the ACC
They're really nothing to brag about, MikeO.
When they were scheduled, they were nothing more than a team from a "power conference." Look how that's panned out.
It's still better than scheduling many other teams, but it's nothing to write home about. I give more to Louisville for scheduling Miami than these 2 teams being scheduled.
Reality is that The Big East just isn't deserving of huge credit like they've recently gotten. I am actually glad they are improving, because they have received bad PR the last couple yrs (outside of WV-UGA last yr). No conference should ever hear the phrase "are they deserving of a BCS bid?"
I think the Big East has yet to prove itself worthy of 3 top 10 BCS teams, should that happen. They're making strides, but the SEC and Big 10 have teams outside of their top 3 who I honestly believe would destroy a team like an undefeated, #1 in the Big East, Rutgers, for example.

MikeO
11-12-2006, 03:37 PM
who's bragging? :shakeno: :shakeno:

Just having a discussion:shakeno:

Kev83
11-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Look, all I'm saying is this: next time you make a post and someone disagrees and asks you to clarify something, don't be afraid to based on "childish games."
I just couldn't disagree more with the thoughts you posted in this thread. Even the title, "SEC with a little egg on their face" is a bit much.

MikeO
11-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Look, all I'm saying is this: next time you make a post and someone disagrees and asks you to clarify something, don't be afraid to based on "childish games."
I just couldn't disagree more with the thoughts you posted in this thread. Even the title, "SEC with a little egg on their face" is a bit much.

you brought up FIELD HOCKEY!! that is childish games.

Why you brought it up I have no clue but you brought it up as I am guessing a shot at my manhood or something. Sorry, never been to a field hockey game let alone play.

Kev83
11-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Then f***ing man up when someone calls you out on flawed logic.
Go back, re read this, and clarify your logic. Or avoid it due to "childish games."

If you really want to know, arguing over the gd internet on a forum is pretty childish and we're both doing it, so to each his own, right?

MikeO
11-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Then f***ing man up when someone calls you out on flawed logic.
Go back, re read this, and clarify your logic. Or avoid it due to "childish games."

If you really want to know, arguing over the gd internet on a forum is pretty childish and we're both doing it, so to each his own, right?

I was talking football. You started in with field hockey and name calling. Grow up bro! I will debate anyone on any topic. But when you load a response up with pot-shots and name calling.......please. Grow up!

Now, back to football. I think USC would leap frog UF if USC wins out. But I really think both USC and UF will lose a game. I could easily see Arkansas, ND, or Rutgers playing in that final game vs the Mich or Ohio St winner