PDA

View Full Version : Florida considers ways to control 1 million alligators

BAMAPHIN 22
11-10-2006, 02:33 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/11/061110_flordia_gators_hmed_5ahmedium-1.jpg (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/)
Bob Dombroski, left, and his son Mark secure an alligator they just killed to their airboat on the first day of alligator hunting August 15 on Lake Okeechobee near Belle Glade, Florida, on Aug. 15.

More than 18,000 times last year, Florida wildlife biologists heard a complaint about an alligator.

There's a gator swimming in our lake.

There's a gator sunning itself in my back yard.

There's a gator who ate my dog.

Now, as more and more of the reptiles once prized as endangered are being tagged by Floridians as nuisances, the state wildlife commission is considering rules that would make it easier to trap and kill the black, scaly creatures slumbering on suburban patios. Some proposals might allow homeowners to trap the critters themselves, rather than calling in state-hired trappers.

Other ideas include altering the animal's legal status from "species of special concern" to "game," and allowing more extensive hunting.

The state population of alligators is estimated at more than 1 million.

"People recognize now that we have a lot of alligators and they are in no way threatened," said Lindsey Hord, biologist with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's Alligator Management Program. "We don't need to be as tolerant of alligators in urban areas because we do have lots of alligators in wild areas -- I mean lots of them."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15649476/

Motion
11-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Gator Nation is out of control!

:lol:

In_Flames
11-10-2006, 02:38 PM
Gator Nation is out of control!

:lol:

well, knew that was coming, was only a matter of time...:wink:

Motion
11-10-2006, 02:40 PM
well, knew that was coming, was only a matter of time...:wink:

:chuckle:

gillderais
11-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Well, It's about time they allow homeowners to deal with gators themselves.

Study offers suggestions on hunting
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-pp05cgator01nov05,0,3386367.story?coll=sfl-news-browardcomm

ch19079
11-10-2006, 03:12 PM
they live in florida, its to be expected. whats next, are they going to call 911 because its to hot and humid outside?

sounds like limited hunting is a good solution. the alligator was endangered untill the alligator farms rebuilt the population, now they have a good wild population.

i dont like the idea of people just killing an alligator thats sitting in their back yard. if its attacking people, ok, make some boots out of him, but if hes just chillin by the water i dont see why you would need to kill it.

Roman529
11-10-2006, 03:35 PM
The gators were here first.....if they chomp on any people oh well. :rolleyes:

retired opfinistic
11-10-2006, 03:52 PM
they live in florida, its to be expected. whats next, are they going to call 911 because its to hot and humid outside?

sounds like limited hunting is a good solution. the alligator was endangered untill the alligator farms rebuilt the population, now they have a good wild population.

i dont like the idea of people just killing an alligator thats sitting in their back yard. if its attacking people, ok, make some boots out of him, but if hes just chillin by the water i dont see why you would need to kill it.They are an extremely dangerous predator that has made a remarkable comeback from the endangered species list. Living in Florida for many years, I have been able to interact with these creatures quite often (esp while fishing!!!) and have never felt threatened. The problem that occurs with gators is that our rapid growth has eaten away at their natural habitat. They do like to move about (esp when its mating season) so you may wake up and find a randy gator relaxing in your pool. Another problem is humans feeding gators, this creates an extremely dangerous creature that begins to associate people with food :eek: not a good thing for children and animals in the area. Trust me it is not hard to train a wild reptile to associate people with food, I have several Cuban Curly Tailed lizards that run to me when I get home to be hand fed bologna! :lol: But I don't worry about them taking me down for a meal!

gillderais
11-10-2006, 03:54 PM
After a comprehensive review of the State of Florida's alligator-management program, State wildlife officials said Monday they have recommended that alligators be downgraded from a species of special concern to game within the next five years. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Committee also said homeowners should be permitted to kill alligators that become a nuisance on their property.
:shotgun:

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7005357147

ch19079
11-10-2006, 04:09 PM
:shotgun:

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7005357147

if they allow homeowners to kill alligators on thier property, then they shoudl also place heavy fines on people who feel alligators and then kill them. similar to rules agenst feeding bears and deer for hunting.

retired opfinistic
11-10-2006, 04:19 PM
if they allow homeowners to kill alligators on thier property, then they shoudl also place heavy fines on people who feel alligators and then kill them. similar to rules agenst feeding bears and deer for hunting.feeling a gator and then killing them is terrible!:wink:

inFINSible
11-12-2006, 06:20 AM
I have soooo many gator stories. I could start talking about my buddy "Oscar", The 10 footer I befriended, and then end with the three that I threw in the living room one night while my mom was watching tV, and probably go on for about an hour.

cnc66
11-12-2006, 06:25 AM
I have soooo many gator stories. I could start talking about my buddy "Oscar", The 10 footer I befriended, and then end with the three that I threw in the living room one night while my mom was watching tV, and probably go on for about an hour.

see, I would ask you about that if you could have made it today...I'm really bummed I won't meet you. Having webs inbetween my toes from stompin' swamps, I have a few myself...:cooldude:

inFINSible
11-12-2006, 06:37 AM
see, I would ask you about that if you could have made it today...I'm really bummed I won't meet you. Having webs inbetween my toes from stompin' swamps, I have a few myself...:cooldude:
I lived on the edge of Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary when I was a kid....I would say I literally saw alligators everyday of my life at the time....

I'm thinking about jumping on those tickets that awing is offering....I'm just waiting until I can call a friend to see if he wants to go.....:)

inFINSible
11-12-2006, 06:38 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corkscrew_Swamp_Sanctuary

:sidelol: check out the last line!

I don't think it's a petting zoo!

cnc66
11-12-2006, 06:43 AM
I lived on the edge of Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary when I was a kid....I would say I literally saw alligators everyday of my life at the time....

I'm thinking about jumping on those tickets that awing is offering....I'm just waiting until I can call a friend to see if he wants to go.....:)

I would be very pleased if you made it. I love swamps. I worked for SWFWMD for fours years on a survey crew. We spent ALL our time in Green Swamp, using the original documents trying to recover the original section and quarter corners. A GREAT job for someone like me.

MNFINFAN
11-12-2006, 10:56 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corkscrew_Swamp_Sanctuary

:sidelol: check out the last line!

I don't think it's a petting zoo!
:roflmao: There needs to be an orthopaedic facility next door, jic.

FinsNCanes
11-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Don't people realize we are on their turf...?

I read/saw something somewhere saying that the ocean is going to be fished out by like 2048 or something. I'll still be alive..and I like fish.

Maynard the Hammer
11-12-2006, 11:03 PM
i would love to hear gator stories

Slappy8800
11-13-2006, 12:46 AM
unreal...leave the ****in gators alone...

inFINSible
11-13-2006, 08:31 AM
i would love to hear gator stories
Let's see....there was the 7 footer that we found in our front yard thanks to our 2 lb dachshund, named "Nothing", barking furiously and running circles around the thing. My dad subdued the beast with a knock on the head with a fence post and then the old belly rub trick.....(no lie, rub their belly for a second our two and they fall right into a catatonic state.....no matter how big they are.....just make sure that you keep them on their back....turn'em over and they snap right back into action....literally)....once we got him taped up we drove him out into the swamp to let him go....well, he had woken up on the trip and a pissed off gator was now making the sides of the truck bed much less smooth than they were when we started the trip. I remember three grown men looking into the back of the truck, and not one of them was willing to get in there and try to control him, no matter how well his mouth was taped. They wouldn't even let me up on the bumper to look inside but, I could hear him in there, and he was not happy! They finally got the tape off and just put the tailgate down to let him escape on his own. And he did too.....that sucker flew out of the back of the truck and disappeared into the lake so fast it was like he had never been there.....

Wanna hear about catching them at night with our bare hands?

Timmy54
11-13-2006, 08:34 AM
allow some moderate hunting, then fry those bad boys up they are tasty. plus i could always use some boots.

inFINSible
11-13-2006, 08:41 AM
allow some moderate hunting, then fry those bad boys up they are tasty. plus i could always use some boots.
There are quite a few restaurants around here that serve gator meat....and you're damn right....that's some good stuff right there!

For those who don't know....It's a white meat with a texture like the half way point between a chicken breast and a pork chop....very very clean tasting....no gamey flavor at all.....gator nuggets is the delicious. :eating:

The Samurai
11-13-2006, 02:56 PM
I would like to see people's reaction when they confront one face to face.