PDA

View Full Version : Said it all along, LJ is awful

NJL52
11-12-2006, 05:41 PM
He gets great stats because he has a terrific oline and FB. I consider his rushing yards the same as total offense, a complete team stat.

The mans highlight tapes include nothing but breakaways without breaking tackles. He relies solely on his blocking to do anything.

And today, he didn't have his right tackle and he had to face a great front seven and just got dominated. Pretty much every play he went down on first contact and earned the nickname, in my household at least, Larry "First Contact" Johnson. Travis Minor would be a 1500 yard rusher in this offense.

He earns my most overrated player in the NFL title and is likely to hold it until he loses his job.

And btw I'm not hating on the Chiefs or anything, just tired of the fantasy football craze where the only thing that the media and most football fans care about is how many yards and touchdowns a player has.

Edit: Put this in a post later on, thougth it would be best to edit and put it here too:

First thing first, the "awful" was kind of out of spite. I was argueing with a friend about this guy and all he wanted to say was "Hes the best back he gets the most fantasy points(kid is obsessed with how good his fantasy team and LJ is one of his players)." And after a bit of argueing with him I got pissed and just blerted the term "awful." To correct it, he is the most overrated and an average back.

ChambersWI
11-12-2006, 05:46 PM
LJ is only 2nd to LT.

He had a bad game, everybody does.

finfansince72
11-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Ronnie didnt run very well when he was behind terrible olines, theres only been a very small handful of Rbs in the history of the league that can dominate behind terrible Olines. Doesnt make a Rb a terrible player because they run well behind a good line.

NJL52
11-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Doesnt make a Rb a terrible player because they run well behind a good line.

That's not what I'm talking about, he doesn't make plays. He takes what is given to him, he hasn't made anything happen by himself.

The point is, if you put anybody with decent speed in there then he gets the same numbers as LJ. All you have to do is run in space, something that any RB in the NFL can do. If you were to put LT in that much wide open space then he would shatter records.

Sirspud
11-12-2006, 07:34 PM
I just don't see how you can call a guy who does as well as LJ does awful. If that many guys could do what he does, even with a great o-line, then it wouldn't be that big of a deal. It takes great vision and great moves to be able to do what he does week in and week out, he just faced a defense today that was determined not to let him break free.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-12-2006, 07:37 PM
he's AWFUL??? because of WHAT? he looked good today.

DonShula84
11-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Awful lol. :shakeno:

Alex44
11-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Okay wait so your arguement is

1) He loses some of his best O-lineman

2) He faces a very strong front 7 and overall run defense

Has a bad day and he is awful? Believe it or not playing RB isnt about making 11 guys miss every play, its about vision and finishing runs, just making one guy miss can turn nothing into something. Very few players do it better than LJ

MikeO
11-12-2006, 10:25 PM
His o-line isn't that great.

LJ is the man

BE GOOD
11-12-2006, 10:30 PM
LJ's O-Line last year top 5, this year above average.
LJ is 2nd best RB IMO. As stated above his line isn't as good as last years. Huard was his QB for 8 games, meaning he's facing many 8 in the box, and goal line defenses.

jbyrd423
11-12-2006, 10:52 PM
He gets great stats because he has a terrific oline and FB. I consider his rushing yards the same as total offense, a complete team stat.

The mans highlight tapes include nothing but breakaways without breaking tackles. He relies solely on his blocking to do anything.

And today, he didn't have his right tackle and he had to face a great front seven and just got dominated. Pretty much every play he went down on first contact and earned the nickname, in my household at least, Larry "First Contact" Johnson. Travis Minor would be a 1500 yard rusher in this offense.

He earns my most overrated player in the NFL title and is likely to hold it until he loses his job.

And btw I'm not hating on the Chiefs or anything, just tired of the fantasy football craze where the only thing that the media and most football fans care about is how many yards and touchdowns a player has.

have u even seen LJ play besides his highligt tapes. if u think he cant break any tackles or isnt a good running back then u dont know anything about football. LJ trucks *******

Jimi
11-13-2006, 12:10 AM
Hes a very good RB. But i do agree that he is overrated if you put him in the same sentence as LT

Nappy Roots
11-13-2006, 12:18 AM
he doesnt make plays?

lmao. who do you consider a play maker then? LT?

well last year LT had 7 LESS runs of 20+ yards then LJ while LT started 9 more games!
This year while LJs OLine has struggled, LT has 1 more run or 20+ yards.

i would never say this on my own post, because it would be stupid to, cept this time..

:0wned:

Dolfan11
11-13-2006, 12:47 AM
lol

He's arguably the best RB in the NFL. He's a threat on every play and a strong finisher. He's not overrated. 891 rushing yards 10 rushing TD's to go along with 29 receptions for 343 yards and 2 TD's in 9 games says so.

NJL52
11-13-2006, 01:12 AM
First thing first, the "awful" was kind of out of spite. I was argueing with a friend about this guy and all he wanted to say was "Hes the best back he gets the most fantasy points." And after a bit of argueing with him I got pissed and just blerted the term "awful." To correct it, he is the most overrated and only an average back.

LJ is only 2nd to LT.

He had a bad game, everybody does.

Gunna copy and past this since I have a feeling I'll use it alot:

Don't look at stats, I don't care if he had 200 yards if HE didn't make it happen.

Regardless of stats, he didn't make anything happen. He went down on first touch ALL game. There were a couple plays where he could have gone 20 yards if he made 1 person miss.

Ronnie didnt run very well when he was behind terrible olines, theres only been a very small handful of Rbs in the history of the league that can dominate behind terrible Olines. Doesnt make a Rb a terrible player because they run well behind a good line.

a. Not asking him to dominate, I'm talking about making anything at all happen. Which he doesn't do.
b. I don't know how a Dolphin fan can say the KC line is terrible. With 2 starters out, LJ got hit behind the line less today then RB does, prior to the past 2 weeks, per half. Our line at the beginning of the year was terrible, KC's line is no where near terrible.

I just don't see how you can call a guy who does as well as LJ does awful. If that many guys could do what he does, even with a great o-line, then it wouldn't be that big of a deal. It takes great vision and great moves to be able to do what he does week in and week out, he just faced a defense today that was determined not to let him break free.

First: Don't look at stats, I don't care if he had 200 yards if HE didn't make it happen.

Second, he by no means has "great moves." I've never seen him make a move where I was impressed.

Third, I seriously doubt that he has faced a defense that said, "I'm not too determined to stop LJ, you guys just want to let him run all over us?" He faced a good dline with 2 linemen out and didn't have any huge gaping wholes to run through.

Okay wait so your arguement is

1) He loses some of his best O-lineman

2) He faces a very strong front 7 and overall run defense

Has a bad day and he is awful? Believe it or not playing RB isnt about making 11 guys miss every play, its about vision and finishing runs, just making one guy miss can turn nothing into something. Very few players do it better than LJ

That isn't my arguement, I have stated before that I think LJ sucks on these forums and thought, "Hey, LJ sucked today while all the dolphin fans were watching, maybe some will notice."

I'm not asking him to make 11 guys miss every play. Maybe if he made 5 guys miss per game I'd be slightly happy, but he doesn't.

And about finishing plays, he has decent power to finish, but he doesn't have "best nfl back" finishing.

have u even seen LJ play besides his highligt tapes. if u think he cant break any tackles or isnt a good running back then u dont know anything about football. LJ trucks *******

Yes I have seen him play, pretty sure I've seen him more then you. And no he doesn't "trucks *******."

he doesnt make plays?

lmao. who do you consider a play maker then? LT?

well last year LT had 7 LESS runs of 20+ yards then LJ while LT started 9 more games!
This year while LJs OLine has struggled, LT has 1 more run or 20+ yards.

i would never say this on my own post, because it would be stupid to, cept this time..

:0wned:

Stats! Stats! Stats! Stats! Stats! Stats! Fantasy points! Fantasy points! Fantasy points!

If you can't tell the difference between making a play and getting handed a play then I guess you should only deal with stats and fantasy points.

NJL52
11-13-2006, 01:12 AM
lol

He's arguably the best RB in the NFL. He's a threat on every play and a strong finisher. He's not overrated. 891 rushing yards 10 rushing TD's to go along with 29 receptions for 343 yards and 2 TD's in 9 games says so.

All hail fantasy points.

Nappy Roots
11-13-2006, 02:55 AM
lmao. you have no argument. cause obviously your basing your opinion on one game.

LJ is a monster. watch some games.

NYinBostonFin
11-13-2006, 02:31 PM
The only thing awful about LJ is this thread about him. Our Run D is great and he had one bad game because of it. He is definitely a great back, and at least top 5. And that is at the very least

You can say anyone is overrated if you look at their worst game and base your whole theory on it. Forgetting about the rest of the seasons stats, is just ignorant.

Alex44
11-13-2006, 02:49 PM
No runningback can run without good blocking btw. So if your arguement is he needs good blocking to succeed, well then there has never been a good RB in the NFL

DeathStar
11-13-2006, 02:56 PM
LT and LJ are the top 2.

PhinzN703
11-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Didnt he gain like 1400 yards in 8-9 games last year? Sure, he stinks :shakeno:

Sirspud
11-13-2006, 04:50 PM
The funny thing about yesterday is that his stats weren't that bad (18 carries for 75 yards, over a 4 yard average). He actually got a lot of solid gains, he just didn't break one because we were tackling extremely well. If Brown had his numbers we would have complained that he was running well and didn't get the ball enough, which is the truth.

NJL52
11-13-2006, 10:48 PM
Sigh..I was hoping to have a decent discussion with others who have seen more then his stats, as have I, and judge based on skills then numbers.

But I regress, as I have only gotten accusations of my lack of expierience watching him and numerous referances to his amazing fantasy stats.

Ronnie Bass
11-13-2006, 11:12 PM
Does this mean Priest Holmes is overrated as well?

Alex44
11-13-2006, 11:19 PM
Sigh..I was hoping to have a decent discussion with others who have seen more then his stats, as have I, and judge based on skills then numbers.

But I regress, as I have only gotten accusations of my lack of expierience watching him and numerous referances to his amazing fantasy stats.

You have no arguement at all.

He DOES break tackles, he DOES catch the ball well, and he DOES make guys miss

PressCoverage
11-13-2006, 11:41 PM
too many people put too much stock into a running back's "juice" or escapability... while it's eye-catching at times, it's not the end-all, be-all of what makes a fine NFL ball-carrier... not by a longshot... give me a back who moves the chains, never fumbles, has a nose for the end zone, picks up the blitz and doesn't blow assignments or mope, and you can have your Mr. Nifty...

This is why I would always take an Emmitt Smith over a Barry Sanders, if I had my choice, any day... Larry Johson is a fine NFL back... a step below LT, and perhaps Alexander, but he's a different runner... He's huge, has fine speed, doesn't fumble, hits the hole hard, and wears down defenses...

I'd give a bit more credit to Miami's stellar run defense than chide Larry Johnson's ability based on one frustrating day...

NJL52
11-14-2006, 01:13 AM
Does this mean Priest Holmes is overrated as well?
Not at all, Priest Holmes made plays. He had the best balance that I have seen in a long time. They are quite the opposite backs. If somebody were to touch LJ's legs he stumbles. If somebody lays a nice hit on Priest, he has a damned good chance to keep going with the ball.

The only reason Priest didn't run for 2000 yards with that O line is his lack of speed. He couldn't break the long ones like LJ did because the gaps closed by the time he got there.

Priest Holmes would have been in the top 15 all time if he ran a 4.4.

You have no arguement at all.

He DOES break tackles, he DOES catch the ball well, and he DOES make guys miss
No, he dosn't. I have watched 7 Chiefs games this year, along with 3 or 4 last year, and haven't been impressed near enough to qualify him as a top back.

too many people put too much stock into a running back's "juice" or escapability... while it's eye-catching at times, it's not the end-all, be-all of what makes a fine NFL ball-carrier... not by a longshot... give me a back who moves the chains, never fumbles, has a nose for the end zone, picks up the blitz and doesn't blow assignments or mope, and you can have your Mr. Nifty...

This is why I would always take an Emmitt Smith over a Barry Sanders, if I had my choice, any day... Larry Johson is a fine NFL back... a step below LT, and perhaps Alexander, but he's a different runner... He's huge, has fine speed, doesn't fumble, hits the hole hard, and wears down defenses...

I'd give a bit more credit to Miami's stellar run defense than chide Larry Johnson's ability based on one frustrating day...
I'm not asking for a Barry Sanders. My point in this thread is that LJ deserves nowhere near the heralds that he has recieved. He isn't a top back and he doesn't compare to LT.

Incase you didn't see earlier, I withdrawed the "awful" claim I stated, it was out of spite after argueing with an idiot, football wise at least, friend.

He gets the job done, he gets the yards given and does whats asked of him. That is completely true, I'm not argueing that. But that doesn't make him good, it makes him adequate. He isn't a special back, he does a job that many others could do.

Comparing him to LT, or even some people say he is better, means that you think he is one of the best of all time, as is LT.

Many people, including alot of people in this thread, think that good stats makes a player good. Which is far from true.

My point in bringing up the concept of breaking tackles is just to say: How good would LT be in this system? You put a player as good as LT in the Chiefs system he would be breaking his own records.

Again, LJ is adequate, he isn't special, he isn't a playmaker, he just gets the job done. I seem to be the only person who doens't think LJ is better then Emmit Smith nowadays.

And btw, even though we disagree, thanks for not saying "OMG he had 1500 yards in 9 games he is god." Finally somebody with an opinion worth hearing.

Nappy Roots
11-14-2006, 02:54 AM
wait, so your trying to argue that LJ doesnt break tackles?

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-14-2006, 08:16 AM
I seem to be the only person who doens't think LJ is better then Emmit Smith nowadays.
yeah, there's a reason for that.

NYinBostonFin
11-14-2006, 09:17 AM
It's funny, it is like we are all arguing with a 2 yr old.

Larry Breaks tackles, ...."no he doesnt"
LJ's stats are incredible "those are just stats"
Lj breaks big runs and knows how to find an opening....."I thought people would look past Fantasy #'s"

No he isnt as good as LT, but he is next in line or pretty close to it. He is far better than adequate.