PDA

View Full Version : O Linemen

Nick13
11-12-2006, 06:05 PM
i dont think we'll be getting the stud O Lineman everyone wants in the draft.

with Arizona sitting at the number one draft spot right now, you have to think they make Joe Thomas from Wisc. the number one pick. they'll pass on Quinn because of Leinart, they would be run out of town if they picked a wide reciever, and Adrian Peterson is a no go because of Edge.

the Dolphins newfound success is awesome, but i think a lot of people will be disappointed come draft day when we miss out on the o line stud most people have been hoping for.

i think that makes the next area of concern the secondary, so i will stick with my original thought--ANTOINE CASON!

gillderais
11-12-2006, 06:11 PM
My guess is we'll have a top 5 pick and I hope we'll take Gaines Adams with it.

outtawack311
11-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Wrong Forum, but I agree. We wont get Joe Thomas. No way now. I wouldnt mind picking up 2 FA for either LT and C or LT and LG (depends on Fonoti)

mmikel30
11-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Wrong Forum, but I agree. We wont get Joe Thomas. No way now. I wouldnt mind picking up 2 FA for either LT and C or LT and LG (depends on Fonoti)i'm not worried if we don't get joe thomas there are alot of good tackles coming out plus we need a bad *** linebacker and corner i like leon hall he looks good....but for some strange reason that leon hall his name sounds like a jet's players name ....wierd

mia4ever
11-12-2006, 06:29 PM
There's more Round in the Draft then 1st Round

That's why we have scouts to Find that Diamond in the draft.

Look at New Orleans, they pick up a WR in the 7th round who has 44 catch for 750yrd.

Now look at the Raider there Fans are calling there highly drafted OL a bust (Robert Gallery)

Caps
11-12-2006, 07:38 PM
I'd take Sam Baker, LT from USC, very high in the draft as well if Thomas wasn't available.

But Adams, Johnson, and possibly Quinn are all good possibilities.

Joey 22
11-14-2006, 01:15 AM
If we end up at around 15 or later Long and Brown are still a decent value...

Crowder52
11-14-2006, 01:18 AM
There's more Round in the Draft then 1st Round

That's why we have scouts to Find that Diamond in the draft.

Look at New Orleans, they pick up a WR in the 7th round who has 44 catch for 750yrd.

Now look at the Raider there Fans are calling there highly drafted OL a bust (Robert Gallery)

So you take one late round success at WR, one highly drafted tackle who didn't work out, and present that as proof for not drafting O-Line in the first? :shakeno:

SMadison29
11-14-2006, 01:20 AM
Do we really need a LT in the first? Surely if the value is there then yes but I can't stand our make shift secondary that Saban has thrown together. LB is also a major concern because Zach has one year left & Spragan is a liability in coverage, along with Zach.

Mike13
11-14-2006, 01:48 AM
Look for Saban to find a way to stockpile picks, even if it means trading down.

Chances are we'll go for OL or guys on Defense in thisb draft.

Crowder52
11-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Do we really need a LT in the first? Surely if the value is there then yes but I can't stand our make shift secondary that Saban has thrown together. LB is also a major concern because Zach has one year left & Spragan is a liability in coverage, along with Zach.

I'd love to see us go CB in the first as well.

NDIrishPhinPhan
11-15-2006, 10:39 PM
I can't believe there is so much talk about these 'high profile' offensive lineman. I don't see how anyone can justify gambling/wasting a first round pick on a meat shield. Sure some are better than others, but they won't make an impact like a 1st round QB, RB, or even WR can. Peyton Manning for example plays behind an average at best offensive line and it's not a problem. Even without a running game and good pass blocking, Peyton still gets it done and rarely takes a sack because of his elite awarewess. Another good example is Brady Quinn. Notre Dame's lineman are all middle of the road college players with no future in football, but Quinn doesn't seem to notice as he throws for 4 touchdowns and 350 yards week after week.

Smart teams don't even consider drafting OL when there are elite skill players or even defenders still available. Would you rather have Larry Fitzgerald or Robert Gallery? Leonard Davis or LaDanian Tomlinson? Chris Samuels or Jamal Lewis? The list goes on. Case closed thanks for playing :sidelol: , smart teams avoid wasting top picks on a left fatman.

MrEd
11-16-2006, 09:28 PM
I'd take Sam Baker, LT from USC, very high in the draft as well if Thomas wasn't available.

But Adams, Johnson, and possibly Quinn are all good possibilities.

If we sign nate clements, we probably draft an OLB...but if we sign Briggs or Thomas, we may draft Leon Hall.

which sucks, because I want Tedd Ginn Jr

Kyfinsfan
11-17-2006, 06:30 PM
I can't believe there is so much talk about these 'high profile' offensive lineman. I don't see how anyone can justify gambling/wasting a first round pick on a meat shield. Sure some are better than others, but they won't make an impact like a 1st round QB, RB, or even WR can. Peyton Manning for example plays behind an average at best offensive line and it's not a problem. Even without a running game and good pass blocking, Peyton still gets it done and rarely takes a sack because of his elite awarewess. Another good example is Brady Quinn. Notre Dame's lineman are all middle of the road college players with no future in football, but Quinn doesn't seem to notice as he throws for 4 touchdowns and 350 yards week after week.

Smart teams don't even consider drafting OL when there are elite skill players or even defenders still available. Would you rather have Larry Fitzgerald or Robert Gallery? Leonard Davis or LaDanian Tomlinson? Chris Samuels or Jamal Lewis? The list goes on. Case closed thanks for playing :sidelol: , smart teams avoid wasting top picks on a left fatman.

Not even sure I can respond...Indy's line is generally regarded as one of the best in the business. You may have a point (one proven by the Indy line BTW) that you don't have to spend high picks to achieve a good line. I would argue that you have to wait an see what's available when you pick. I don't think a QB will be there when we pick, we definately shouldn't pick a RB, and the only WRs worth taking in the top 15 is probably CJ & POSSIBLY Ginn - CJ will be gone by the time we pick. So do you pick a LT @ 15 - SURE, if one's there you like, what about a LB? - Perhaps....But to suggest that a team should never pick a lineman early in the draft, well that's a draft strategy I cannot agree wtih.

Nick Mangold
11-17-2006, 06:45 PM

yeah, Quinn doesnt seem to notice when he's on his back half the game. :shakeno:

Since you started it, would you rather have Ronnie Brown or Walter Jones? How about Edgerrin James or Orlando Pace?

TERRIBLE argument man, just terrible. :shakeno:

NDIrishPhinPhan
11-18-2006, 03:27 AM
yeah, Quinn doesnt seem to notice when he's on his back half the game. :shakeno:

Since you started it, would you rather have Ronnie Brown or Walter Jones? How about Edgerrin James or Orlando Pace?

TERRIBLE argument man, just terrible. :shakeno:

yea sure, if pick out the two times in the last decade a top 10 pick meathead has been worth the investment, then it sounds like a great idea. on the contrary, edge, ronnie, and a much higher percentage of skill players taken top 10 are franchise quality and impact the team.

VanDolPhan
11-18-2006, 06:58 AM
yea sure, if pick out the two times in the last decade a top 10 pick meathead has been worth the investment, then it sounds like a great idea. on the contrary, edge, ronnie, and a much higher percentage of skill players taken top 10 are franchise quality and impact the team.

If your going to throw out terms like meathead you better research your comments before you spew them out like fact otherwise (like your talk about Indy's O-Line when their LT IS A FIRST ROUND PICK!)......

Research from a post I did a few weeks back:

History of tackles chosen in the top 15 since 1990.

1990: Richmond Webb 9th overall (Miami's 7 time pro bowler)
1991: Charles McRae 7th overall
Antone Davis 8th overall (5 year starter for Philly)
Pat Harlow 11th overall
1992: Bob Whitfield 8th overall (Now in his 15th year. 1 pro bowl)
Ray Roberts 10th overall (played for 10 seasons)
Leon Searcy 11th overall (played for 11 years. 2 pro bowls)
*note: Also the draft that the Bills John Fina came out of at 27
1993 Willie Roaf 8th overall (11 time pro bowler)
Lincoln Kennedy 9th overall (played till 2004. 2 time pro bowler)
Brad Hopkins 13th overall (13 year vet, 2 time pro bowler)
1994 Bernard Williams 14th overall
Wayne Gandy 15th overall (Solid Starter to this day. 1 Pro Bowl)
*note: Todd Steussie came out of this draft at 19
1995 Tony Boselli 2nd overall (Excellent LT until injuries derailed career)
*Also the draft that produced Korey Stringer with pick 24
1996 Jonathan Ogden 4th overall (9 time pro bowler)
Willie Anderson 10th overall (3 time pro bowler)
1997 Orlando Pace 1st overall (7 time pro bowler)
Walter Jones 6th overall (5 time pro bowler)
*Also Tarik Glenn of Indy and Ross Verba of Green Bay in the first
1998 Kyle Turley 7th overall
Tra Thomas 11th overall (3 time pro bowler)
1999 John Tait 14th overall (Solid starting tackle)
*Luke Petitgout drafted at the 19 spot
2000 Chris Samuels 3rd overall (3 time pro bowler)
2001 Leonard Davis 2nd overall (bounced around line. May be better RG)
2002 Mike Williams 4th overall (Buffalo's infamous flop)
Bryant McKinnie 7th overall
Levi Jones 10th overall (1 pro bowl. Great starter at LT)
2003 Jordan Gross 8th overall (started at RT now at LT)
*also produced 2 starting RT's in George Foster and Kwame Harris
2004 Robert Gallery 2nd overall (Suited for RT. Playing LT on a poor line)
*Also produced Vernon Carey (solid RT starter after slow first year)
2005 Jammal Brown 13th overall (Great starter for NO)
2006 D'Brickashaw Ferguson 4th overall (starting rookie LT. Looking good)
*Lets also not forget Nick Mangold one of the best rookie centers seen in a long long time.

As you can see the percentage for getting a solid to hall of fame tackle is very high in the first round. Case re-opened and serious Kelso burns applied.

NDIrishPhinPhan
11-18-2006, 03:21 PM
blah blah blah

how many touchdowns have those guys scored? ok, thanks for playing.

VanDolPhan
11-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Man did I just get totally owned that I have no ability to counter the argument except to dismiss the whole post and keep living in my fantasy world

Yes indeed. Thank you for playing. Oh and lets not forget that LT is the 2nd highest paid position in the league after QB because the really good ones keep your QB from being killed by the teams best pass rusher and can buy a second or so more which leads to WR's getting open more which leads to more TD's being scored.

mia4ever
11-18-2006, 07:56 PM
Well let see who right I bet Nick don't take a OL in the 1st round
that's whether we're picking 5 15 20

The Game is ON!

MrEd
11-18-2006, 10:18 PM

very good points. i second that

MrEd
11-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Yes indeed. Thank you for playing. Oh and lets not forget that LT is the 2nd highest paid position in the league after QB because the really good ones keep your QB from being killed by the teams best pass rusher and can buy a second or so more which leads to WR's getting open more which leads to more TD's being scored.

last i saw...i haven't seen Joey Harrington getting killed by teams best pass rushers with DMac protecting his back side? we don't need a LT in the 1st round. Period!

don't tell me that CHI and KC don't have good pass rushers either

MrEd
11-18-2006, 10:39 PM
If your going to throw out terms like meathead you better research your comments before you spew them out like fact otherwise (like your talk about Indy's O-Line when their LT IS A FIRST ROUND PICK!)......

Research from a post I did a few weeks back:

History of tackles chosen in the top 15 since 1990.

1990: Richmond Webb 9th overall (Miami's 7 time pro bowler)
1991: Charles McRae 7th overall
Antone Davis 8th overall (5 year starter for Philly)
Pat Harlow 11th overall
1992: Bob Whitfield 8th overall (Now in his 15th year. 1 pro bowl)
Ray Roberts 10th overall (played for 10 seasons)
Leon Searcy 11th overall (played for 11 years. 2 pro bowls)
*note: Also the draft that the Bills John Fina came out of at 27
1993 Willie Roaf 8th overall (11 time pro bowler)
Lincoln Kennedy 9th overall (played till 2004. 2 time pro bowler)
Brad Hopkins 13th overall (13 year vet, 2 time pro bowler)
1994 Bernard Williams 14th overall
Wayne Gandy 15th overall (Solid Starter to this day. 1 Pro Bowl)
*note: Todd Steussie came out of this draft at 19
1995 Tony Boselli 2nd overall (Excellent LT until injuries derailed career)
*Also the draft that produced Korey Stringer with pick 24
1996 Jonathan Ogden 4th overall (9 time pro bowler)
Willie Anderson 10th overall (3 time pro bowler)
1997 Orlando Pace 1st overall (7 time pro bowler)
Walter Jones 6th overall (5 time pro bowler)
*Also Tarik Glenn of Indy and Ross Verba of Green Bay in the first
1998 Kyle Turley 7th overall
Tra Thomas 11th overall (3 time pro bowler)
1999 John Tait 14th overall (Solid starting tackle)
*Luke Petitgout drafted at the 19 spot
2000 Chris Samuels 3rd overall (3 time pro bowler)
2001 Leonard Davis 2nd overall (bounced around line. May be better RG)
2002 Mike Williams 4th overall (Buffalo's infamous flop)
Bryant McKinnie 7th overall
Levi Jones 10th overall (1 pro bowl. Great starter at LT)
2003 Jordan Gross 8th overall (started at RT now at LT)
*also produced 2 starting RT's in George Foster and Kwame Harris
2004 Robert Gallery 2nd overall (Suited for RT. Playing LT on a poor line)
*Also produced Vernon Carey (solid RT starter after slow first year)
2005 Jammal Brown 13th overall (Great starter for NO)
2006 D'Brickashaw Ferguson 4th overall (starting rookie LT. Looking good)
*Lets also not forget Nick Mangold one of the best rookie centers seen in a long long time.

As you can see the percentage for getting a solid to hall of fame tackle is very high in the first round. Case re-opened and serious Kelso burns applied.

I'd rather stick with DMac than 80% of those LTs.

VanDolPhan
11-19-2006, 06:56 AM
last i saw...i haven't seen Joey Harrington getting killed by teams best pass rushers with DMac protecting his back side? we don't need a LT in the 1st round. Period!

don't tell me that CHI and KC don't have good pass rushers either

No you only have to look to the fact the Dolphins are at the bottom of the league on pass completions over 20 yards because to hide the OL woes they've gone to short drops and quick passes. Check out Saban's radio show clip from the past week when CKparrothead asked him about it and you'll see Saban pretty much pinning those woes on the fact they had to severly limit the offense to keep from constantly being put in a hole.

The OL is playing somewhat better but they are no where near where they need to be for this offense to be successful in throwing a deep ball. For the most part this is the same offensive line from the last 3 years that still has not proven they can consistently play at a solid level.