PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Take On Rutgers?

NJPHIN34
11-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Just curious what your opinions on Rutgers are right now? I personally think they deserve to be ranked at least 5th and maybe 4th, with OSU, Mich, and USC ahead of them. RU's defense is good enough to hang with anyone in the country including OSU. Although their offense could be better and in my opinion is the only thing holding them back. But it is BS that history and tradition play a factor in the rankings. Stop living in the past, Rutgers has arrived. Last year was the turning point.

What's your take and where do you think RU deserves to be?

Alex44
11-12-2006, 08:09 PM
The Big East is a weak conference, go ahead and feed me that 'Best winning percentage in games against other conferences' stat. The teams the big east has played out of conference are a combined 38-72 going into this weekend.

They should be ahead of all the 2 loss teams but behind all the one loss teams. Well ahead of WV though

DonShula84
11-12-2006, 08:11 PM
I have no idea how to rank any of the Big East teams. I know they have good records, but they beat bad teams early and now play each other. I dont know if they really are that good, which is possible, or if they just beat bad teams and their record looks better than they really are. I dont think Rutgers should be 5th though :wink:

MoFinz
11-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Good team
Great fell good story
NOT a national title contender

DonShula84
11-12-2006, 08:40 PM
cbs sportsline project and ND vs RU Sugar Bowl so I guess I may get a chance to find out how good they are. Of course a lot can still change will ND playing USC and RU playing WVU.

Ronnie Bass
11-12-2006, 08:42 PM

If they run the table and beat a VERY good West Virgina team in Morgentown, hell ya they are even if they don't make it to the title game.

AirFishOne
11-12-2006, 08:42 PM
if they beat WV then they have something to talk about

if they lose, the Big East is what we all thought, a mediocre confernce

Ronnie Bass
11-12-2006, 08:44 PM
if they lose, the Big East is what we all thought, a mediocre confernce

How is that?

NJFINSFAN1
11-12-2006, 08:45 PM
The Big East is a weak conference, go ahead and feed me that 'Best winning percentage in games against other conferences' stat. The teams the big east has played out of conference are a combined 38-72 going into this weekend.

They should be ahead of all the 2 loss teams but behind all the one loss teams. Well ahead of WV though

?????????????????????

It may be the second strongest conference in college!

MoFinz
11-12-2006, 08:46 PM
If they run the table and beat a VERY good West Virgina team in Morgentown, hell ya they are even if they don't make it to the title game.

No...they really arent, They are a great feel good story though

Ronnie Bass
11-12-2006, 08:47 PM

I don't know if I would say that but folks are out of control constantly shortchanging the Big East teams.

DonShula84
11-12-2006, 08:47 PM
?????????????????????

SEC/Big 10>Big East imo

Like I said though, it's hard for me to know if the Big East teams are really good, or if playing bad teams early has made them look better than they really are.

Ronnie Bass
11-12-2006, 08:48 PM

Oh, you sold me then.

NJPHIN34
11-12-2006, 09:00 PM

I feel like people are factoring in program's histories when ranking the teams. I'm not saying that Rutgers is the best team in the nation, I know they're not. But even if they played like it, some people will allow their history to affect their decision. We just all need to focus on the present and not the past.

Also, the best argument I've heard about the Big East is this: if your going to allow the Big East to be a BCS conference then why are you not ready to allow a team from the Big East to play in the national championship? You can't say the Big East is a BCS conference but none of the teams deserve to play in the national championship game because it's a weak conference. It's a very hypocritical perspective.

AirFishOne
11-12-2006, 09:13 PM
How is that?

well its just my opinion but, Ville beats WV, Rutgers beats Ville, WV beats Rutgers, I just pointing out that there would be no clear cut top notch team and that they are all even, I guess I worded it wrong my bad my freind

MoFinz
11-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Oh, you sold me then.

I responded to your opinion. If you would like to debate the opinions on merits, feel free to add yours.

Until then, this is as much spoon feeding as i do :wink:

spydertl79
11-12-2006, 09:26 PM
The Big East is the third strongest Conference in College Football

The SEC is undoubtedly the hardest with so many teams that are solid.
The Big 10 is 2nd because of 3 good teams (OSU, UM, Wisconsin) and a few more decent teams like Iowa, Penn State, and Purdue
The Big East is 3rd. West Virginia is awesome. Louisville and Rutgers are very good teams. South Florida and Pitt are decent teams that would give most good teams a run for their money. Cincy is OK and UConn and Syracuse suck.

Ronnie Bass
11-12-2006, 09:48 PM
I responded to your opinion. If you would like to debate the opinions on merits, feel free to add yours.

Until then, this is as much spoon feeding as i do :wink:

Uh yeah, I think I did when you said they weren't title contenders with this:

If they run the table and beat a VERY good West Virgina team in Morgentown(they are)

Explain to me how a Big East team goes 12-0 while beating two top ten teams and having one of the best defenses in the country and future NFL stars in Rice and Leonard - arguably the best running tandem in America - is NOT a title contender?

MikeO
11-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Big East is the 3rd best conference this year.

You can only knock it so much but then the numbers don't lie. They might end the regular season and postseason with 3 teams in the Top 10. I mean, that isn't a mistake.

Maybe they dont' get a team in the final game. Ok, fair enough. But if anything the Big East is better than the ACC or Big 12 this year.

Coral Reefer
11-13-2006, 12:29 AM
Good team
Great feel good story

Nice synopsis!

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-13-2006, 12:37 AM
my take:

really good team.
really great story.
one of the best coaches in football.
could compete with anyone in college football. ANYONE.
ray rice is a legitimate heisman candidate.
once teel gets more experience....look out!

HysterikiLL
11-13-2006, 02:33 AM
my take:

really good team.
really great story.
one of the best coaches in football.
ray rice is a legitimate heisman candidate.
once teel gets more experience....look out!

i agree with that. I think they can compete with anyone, but their are a bunch of teams I can't see them beating, although their defense and Rice would keep it close.

primetime23
11-13-2006, 06:40 AM
Just curious what your opinions on Rutgers are right now? I personally think they deserve to be ranked at least 5th and maybe 4th, with OSU, Mich, and USC ahead of them. RU's defense is good enough to hang with anyone in the country including OSU. Although their offense could be better and in my opinion is the only thing holding them back. But it is BS that history and tradition play a factor in the rankings. Stop living in the past, Rutgers has arrived. Last year was the turning point.

What's your take and where do you think RU deserves to be?

in the top 10 for now. but i think the sec is HUGLEY over rated it makes me sick. I hate how all the media is saying ''oh the sec is such a hard division'' are you serious. You got alabama losing to miss st, you got georgia losing to kentucky, you got vandy beating georgia, you got georgia beating auburn, you got auburn losing to ark. the big east is just as good as the sec. look out for cincy next year. the big 10 is the hardest division.

DonShula84
11-13-2006, 07:35 AM
in the top 10 for now. but i think the sec is HUGLEY over rated it makes me sick. I hate how all the media is saying ''oh the sec is such a hard division'' are you serious. You got alabama losing to miss st, you got georgia losing to kentucky, you got vandy beating georgia, you got georgia beating auburn, you got auburn losing to ark. the big east is just as good as the sec. look out for cincy next year. the big 10 is the hardest division.

:lol: Based on what?

nyjunc
11-13-2006, 08:21 AM
Big East is the 3rd best conference this year.

You can only knock it so much but then the numbers don't lie. They might end the regular season and postseason with 3 teams in the Top 10. I mean, that isn't a mistake.

Maybe they dont' get a team in the final game. Ok, fair enough. But if anything the Big East is better than the ACC or Big 12 this year.

The BE has 3 good teams, all have 1 or no losses b/c of the creampuff scheds they face. They are not the 3rd best Conf. You want to say they are better than the ACC this year? ok I'll buy it but that's not really a compliment. The Big 10, Big 12, PAC 10, SEC are all better and those are the only other big conf's besides the ACC.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-13-2006, 09:23 AM
i agree with that. I think they can compete with anyone, but their are a bunch of teams I can't see them beating, although their defense and Rice would keep it close.
i agree. people always use that "well, could they beat ohio state?? well then they don't belong in the championship game!" it's not about who they can BEAT, it's about who they can COMPETE with. and as far as i'm concerned, they can stay on the field for 4 quarters with anyone in the country.

MoFinz
11-13-2006, 10:01 AM
Uh yeah, I think I did when you said they weren't title contenders with this:

Explain to me how a Big East team goes 12-0 while beating two top ten teams and having one of the best defenses in the country and future NFL stars in Rice and Leonard - arguably the best running tandem in America - is NOT a title contender?

I look at the caliber of the opposition. WVU is good, but not in the top 3 in the SEC or Big 10. They might be top 4 in Pac 10 or ACC. They have the luxury of a weaker schedule and not the threat of a dogfight every Saturday. If they beat WVU, i say great, let them play ND in the Sugar Bowl......if they can legitimize themselves there then i may be a believer. I dont see them competing with OSU, Michigan, Florida, USC or Texas.

Like i said, feel good story. But not enough horse to win the Derby.

Ronnie Bass
11-13-2006, 10:18 AM
I look at the caliber of the opposition. WVU is good, but not in the top 3 in the SEC or Big 10. They might be top 4 in Pac 10 or ACC. They have the luxury of a weaker schedule and not the threat of a dogfight every Saturday. If they beat WVU, i say great, let them play ND in the Sugar Bowl......if they can legitimize themselves there then i may be a believer. I dont see them competing with OSU, Michigan, Florida, USC or Texas.

Wow, never mind man, if you don't think WVU is not that good, I honestly don't know what to tell ya.

It's a shame people continually to knock the Big East like this, it is what is all wrong with College football today.

nyjunc
11-13-2006, 10:27 AM
Wow, never mind man, if you don't think WVU is not that good, I honestly don't know what to tell ya.

It's a shame people continually to knock the Big East like this, it is what is all wrong with College football today.

maybe if the BE teams would play tough non-conf scheds it would be different. WVU, UL and RU are all GOOD teams but none are real top 10 teams. They are products of weak scheds.

Ronnie Bass
11-13-2006, 10:38 AM
maybe if the BE teams would play tough non-conf scheds it would be different. WVU, UL and RU are all GOOD teams but none are real top 10 teams. They are products of weak scheds.

:shakeno:

And it continues....

nyjunc
11-13-2006, 10:44 AM
:shakeno:

And it continues....

Tell me the good teams each has beaten? Show me the quality wins?

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-13-2006, 10:49 AM
the big east is a BCS conference, right?

okay.

Nukulus
11-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Sorry, I just have to repsond to this thread. I don't normally ever post but the Big East haters are off the mark.

You say the big east doesn't deserve to have any top ten teams because of a weak OOC schedule. Ok, fair enough, but when you say that the SEC is so much better than the big east it leaves me scratching my head.

What teams have the top teams in the SEC played OOC? Thats right no one. They have no quality wins out of conference either. They just all beat up on each other. Right? So whats different between the Top SEC teams losing to others in the SEC (and still being really good and more deserving of their rankings than Beast teams) and Top Big East Teams losing to Top Big east teams?

At least the top teams in the big east didn't lose to unranked nobodies, like other teams (USC,CAL, Auburn, etc).

You guys need give it a break. Come talk about how the Big east isn't deserving after the bowl games. Then we'll see if your arguments have a leg to stand on. As of right now they don't, and you're all playing the part of the homers.

Alex44
11-13-2006, 12:37 PM
I dont see how ANYONE thinks the Big East is a good conference

The teams they played out of conference have an average record of 4-7 and they just beat up on eachother within conference.

I think Rutgers belongs in the top 10 and ahead of all the two loss teams, but I cant say I think they are a top 5 team

MikeO
11-13-2006, 12:54 PM

The teams they played out of conference have an average record of 4-7 and they just beat up on eachother within conference.

I think Rutgers belongs in the top 10 and ahead of all the two loss teams, but I cant say I think they are a top 5 team

AND..............according to the computers (not the bcs poll), Rutgers is ranked #2 and ahead of Ohio St.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/polls?poll=4&date=2006-11-12)

I know its more fun to just trash the big east, but bottom line is the numbers don't lie!

MoFinz
11-13-2006, 01:15 PM

Opinions are like corvettes, every A-hole gets one. You can disagree with me all you like, but much like 10 years ago when Major Harris led the mountaineers to an undefeated regular season only to get their butts handed to them in the bowl game, records are fine, but dont tell me a 10-0 Division III team is better than a 2-6 Purdue team, simply because they are undefeated doesnt tell the whole story.

I dont expect you to understand, and never have i said i didnt think Rutgers UL and WVU arent fine teams with fine stories. They just arent as battle tested as a SEC or Big10 team

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-13-2006, 01:28 PM
but dont tell me a 10-0 Division III team is better than a 2-6 Purdue team, simply because they are undefeated doesnt tell the whole story.
:shakeno: the big east is a BCS conference!!! i don't get how people think the big east is SOOO inferior to every other conference. are they weaker? YES. are they THAT much weaker? NO. they have great coaching throughout the conference, which means they can get really good recruits, which means they can play with ANYone in the country.

Ronnie Bass
11-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Opinions are like corvettes, every A-hole gets one. You can disagree with me all you like, but much like 10 years ago when Major Harris led the mountaineers to an undefeated regular season only to get their butts handed to them in the bowl game, records are fine, but dont tell me a 10-0 Division III team is better than a 2-6 Purdue team, simply because they are undefeated doesnt tell the whole story.

Oh geez, that's rich.....:sidelol:

I dont expect you to understand, and never have i said i didnt think Rutgers UL and WVU arent fine teams with fine stories. They just arent as battle tested as a SEC or Big10 team

Me understand?? Your the one comparing RU to a Division III team, enough said there.

MoFinz
11-13-2006, 01:54 PM
Oh geez, that's rich.....:sidelol:

Me understand?? Your the one comparing RU to a Division III team, enough said there.

See. i told you you wouldnt understand. I compared the perfect season, not the teams. But thanks for trying anyway :lol:

Fine then, i'll take your logic to the next step then.....

Boise State 12-0

Vs.

Rutgers 12-0

For the 2006 National Title.

Yeah.....thats the 2 best in the nation, because they both went 12-0 and qualified for BCS games.

Seriously....think that through before you repost. You can no more disqualify Boise State if they win out than you can Rutgers. But youre going to tell me theyre the 2 best teams in the country?

Puhleeeze:rolleyes:

Ronnie Bass
11-13-2006, 02:05 PM
See. i told you you wouldnt understand. I compared the perfect season, not the teams. But thanks for trying anyway :lol:

Understand what? Your pompous view on how we should rank teams?

Boise State 12-0

Vs.

Rutgers 12-0

Yeah.....thats the 2 best in the nation, because they both went 12-0 and qualified for BCS games.

Seriously....think that through before you repost. You can no more disqualify Boise State if they win out than you can Rutgers. But youre going to tell me theyre the 2 best teams in the country?

First off, you need to follow our conversation here better, I have NEVER claimed that Rutgers should be in the title game or is the best in the country for that matter, I have said - and backed it up - that Rutgers is a title contender if they run the table, all you can throw out there is "Oh, the Big East and their schedule sucks!" crap as if that is all they judge teams on.

Get a clue man, seriously.

As far as Boise St. I haven't seen them play yet but if I do you can rest assure I will have a much open mind than yours on if they are title contenders or not if they finish undefeated.

But go ahead, preach to me again as if you know it all.

burger13
11-13-2006, 02:07 PM

Boise State 12-0

Vs.

Rutgers 12-0

Big East = BCS Conference
WAC = Mid-major Conferene

But I'm sure you don't see a difference there.

I'm not saying that Rutgers SHOULD be in the NC game yet.....but I will always argue with those who pretend to know they don't belong already.

Ronnie Bass
11-13-2006, 02:09 PM

I'm not sayint that Rutgers SHOULD be in the NC game yet.....but I will always argue with those who pretend to know they do't belong already.

Hey man, you just don't understand! The Big East sucks!

Cuban Dave 9
11-13-2006, 02:12 PM
What teams have the top teams in the SEC played OOC? Thats right no one. They have no quality wins out of conference either. They just all beat up on each other. Right? So whats different between the Top SEC teams losing to others in the SEC (and still being really good and more deserving of their rankings than Beast teams) and Top Big East Teams losing to Top Big east teams?

UTenn over Cal...oh well, you tried at least

MikeO
11-13-2006, 02:16 PM

If Cal loses to USC, then they have 3 losses and how quality are they?

Cuban Dave 9
11-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Yeah you're right...A potential USC win over Cal shouldn't be a quality win.

nyjunc
11-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Sorry, I just have to repsond to this thread. I don't normally ever post but the Big East haters are off the mark.

You say the big east doesn't deserve to have any top ten teams because of a weak OOC schedule. Ok, fair enough, but when you say that the SEC is so much better than the big east it leaves me scratching my head.

At least the top teams in the big east didn't lose to unranked nobodies, like other teams (USC,CAL, Auburn, etc).

You guys need give it a break. Come talk about how the Big east isn't deserving after the bowl games. Then we'll see if your arguments have a leg to stand on. As of right now they don't, and you're all playing the part of the homers.

The SEC has quality in their conf, the BE has 3 food teams while the SEC has 6 or 7. It makes games each week alot more difficult, they aren't playing 1-2 tough games they are plying 3-4- that's a HUGE difference.

AND..............according to the computers (not the bcs poll), Rutgers is ranked #2 and ahead of Ohio St.

I know its more fun to just trash the big east, but bottom line is the numbers don't lie!

We all trust those computers:rolleyes:

These teams play more than 1-2 tough games a year-it makes it alto harder to have zero or 1 loss.

if cal had RU'ss ched they'd be unbeaten, if RU had Cal's sched they'd have 3 or more losses.

MoFinz
11-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Understand what? Your pompous view on how we should rank teams?

First off, you need to follow our conversation here better, I have NEVER claimed that Rutgers should be in the title game or is the best in the country for that matter, I have said - and backed it up - that Rutgers is a title contender if they run the table, all you can throw out there is "Oh, the Big East and their schedule sucks!" crap as if that is all they judge teams on.

Get a clue man, seriously.

As far as Boise St. I haven't seen them play yet but if I do you can rest assure I will have a much open mind than yours on if they are title contenders or not if they finish undefeated.

But go ahead, preach to me again as if you know it all.

My, dont we get testy. OK, you want to make it personal simply because i exposed the flaws in your argument, youre dismissed.

Have a nice day, enjoy your "title contender" :sidelol:

MoFinz
11-13-2006, 03:27 PM

I'm not saying that Rutgers SHOULD be in the NC game yet.....but I will always argue with those who pretend to know they don't belong already.

Boise State does get a BCS bid if it runs the table, thats guaranteed.

Next? Or did you just want to slam when you really dont get the analogies too? :lol:

MoFinz
11-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Hey man, you just don't understand! The Big East sucks!

You 2 should get together then :rolleyes2

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-13-2006, 03:33 PM

Next? Or did you just want to slam when you really dont get the analogies too? :lol:
actually it's not "guaranteed" at all. whoever wins the big east IS guaranteed a spot in a BCS game however, whether they finish in the top 25 or even have a winning record. the ONLY shot any WAC team has is to go undefeated. otherwise? NO chance.

Ronnie Bass
11-13-2006, 03:42 PM
My, dont we get testy. OK, you want to make it personal simply because i exposed the flaws in your argument, youre dismissed.

Have a nice day, enjoy your "title contender" :sidelol:

Wow you really are clueless if you think you found flaws in my arguement.

And oh, welcome to my ignore list.

Ronnie Bass
11-13-2006, 03:45 PM
actually it's not "guaranteed" at all. whoever wins the big east IS guaranteed a spot in a BCS game however, whether they finish in the top 25 or even have a winning record. the ONLY shot any WAC team has is to go undefeated. otherwise? NO chance.

Personal attacks are not permitted

Nukulus
11-13-2006, 04:11 PM

Yea because Cal is so good, being 9-2. I can disregard this "quality win" just as easily as you SEC homers can disregard West Virginia's win over Maryland. It goes both ways. Like I said, if the big east plays it's bowl games and loses, then you all can talk about how overrated we were. Until then you don't even have an argument.

nyjunc
11-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Yea because Cal is so good, being 9-2. I can disregard this "quality win" just as easily as you SEC homers can disregard West Virginia's win over Maryland. It goes both ways. Like I said, if the big east plays it's bowl games and loses, then you all can talk about how overrated we were. Until then you don't even have an argument.

Bowl games aren't always true indicators as some tams are mad about the bowls they play in and don't give full effort while other schools are so happy to be there they treat like a title game. The bottom line is none of the top 3 BE schools played anyone outside their conf and the only decent teams each will play are the other 2. UL tried by scheudling Miami but fortunately and unfortunately Miami stinks this year(unfortuntaely b/c they beat a bad UM team but fortunate b/c if it was a typical UM team they would have killed UL).

burger13
11-13-2006, 04:18 PM

So, you are telling me that the WAC is a BCS Conference like the Big East?? They're champion gets an automatic bid to a BCS Bowl?

No. I didn't think so.

Boise State will LIKELY get an at-large bid to a BCS Bowl if they run the table.

Rutger WILL get a BCS Bowl if they run the table.

Undefeated in ANY BCS conference is more impressive than undefeated in the WAC. If Rutgers wins out, they will have betean 2 teams that were ranked as high as #3 in the nation. Who has Boise St beaten to even be in that conversation?

nyjunc
11-13-2006, 04:23 PM
So, you are telling me that the WAC is a BCS Conference like the Big East?? They're champion gets an automatic bid to a BCS Bowl?

No. I didn't think so.

Boise State will LIKELY get an at-large bid to a BCS Bowl if they run the table.

Rutger WILL get a BCS Bowl if they run the table.

Undefeated in ANY BCS conference is more impressive than undefeated in the WAC. If Rutgers wins out, they will have betean 2 teams that were ranked as high as #3 in the nation. Who has Boise St beaten to even be in that conversation?

The BE w/o Miami and Va tech(the way they used to be) is no better than the WAC. They are a glorified WAC right now.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-13-2006, 04:25 PM
The BE w/o Miami and Va tech(the way they used to be) is no better than the WAC. They are a glorified WAC right now.
:lol: you're clueless.

Nukulus
11-13-2006, 04:26 PM
So basically the big east teams no matter how well they do, they will suck in your eyes.

If the Big East Champ goes to a BCS bowl and stomps on their opponent (SEC, Big12,ACC, At large, etc) it won't matter because they will have only won because the other team doesn't care and isn't hyped about it.

You are pathetic with you hatred of the Big East. If a big east team won the national title they would probably still suck (to you homers) and it will just have been a fluke.

I truly hate arguing with ******s that use ****** logic like:

The bottom line is none of the top 3 BE schools played anyone outside their conf and the only decent teams each will play are the other 2. UL tried by scheudling Miami but fortunately and unfortunately Miami stinks this year(unfortuntaely b/c they beat a bad UM team but fortunate b/c if it was a typical UM team they would have killed UL).

Thats why they play the game. No one expected Auburn, USC, or Texas to lose but it happened. No one really expected Rutgers to be 9-0 while defeating Louisville. If every game went the way people expected it to, why would they play?

burger13
11-13-2006, 04:28 PM

Well, doesn't appear that everyone shares your view:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc06.htm

Cuban Dave 9
11-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Hey, before this weekend, people were talking about them going to the NC if they beat USC

burger13
11-13-2006, 04:35 PM
Hey, before this weekend, people were talking about them going to the NC if they beat USC

And before last Thursday, people were talking about Louisville going to the NC WHEN they beat Rutgers. What people were talking about doesn't really mean too much in the end, does it?

MoFinz
11-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Wow you really are clueless if you think you found flaws in my arguement.

And oh, welcome to my ignore list.

The last resort of the toothless argument.

Farewell :lol:

MoFinz
11-13-2006, 05:46 PM
It's just best to put ignorant people like MoFinz on your Ignore List, they are not worth your time man.

Said the man who....put me on ignore:sidelol:

Ronnie Bass
11-13-2006, 06:04 PM
And before last Thursday, people were talking about Louisville going to the NC WHEN they beat Rutgers. What people were talking about doesn't really mean too much in the end, does it?

No, no it doesn't man.

It is a shame people in sports of all places are as close-minded and obtuse when it comes to how good teams are instead of relying on something like an old crutch the way people have here with the schedule, if you see arguments based soley on that, just pay them no attention, they are probably the same yahoos who have their ***** so deep into Fantasy sports that they can't judge a player or team by their cover and instead take the easy way out and rely on stats and such.

I miss the good ole days when folks use to actually watch a team play to determine how good they are.

Cuban Dave 9
11-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Hey man, I am just defending the SEC like you are defending the Big East...I never put the Big East down...I think they have made a better case for being in the BCS than the ACC

NJPHIN34
11-13-2006, 08:07 PM

Some of you confuse me. Half of you say the BE sucks because of the out of conference schedule, while others say the BE sucks due to the teams in their conference. Which is it?

And if a team is to run the table and go undefeated, how do you fault them for their conference schedule? Is it because you don't know a lot about the teams in the conference (USF, UCONN maybe)? Some of which are playing good football (Cincy, USF). Stop with the politics. Just because you don't know a lot about a team doesn't make them inferior. And just because you do know a lot about a team, due to their history, doesnt make that team superior.

College football is just a members only club and hesitant to let new members in over less heralded members. This is why some sort of playoff needs to be developed. But we shall see what happens come BCS bowl time, when Rutgers just keeps chopping!!

Ronnie Bass
11-13-2006, 08:38 PM
And if a team is to run the table and go undefeated, how do you fault them for their conference schedule? Is it because you don't know a lot about the teams in the conference (USF, UCONN maybe)? Some of which are playing good football (Cincy, USF). Stop with the politics. Just because you don't know a lot about a team doesn't make them inferior. And just because you do know a lot about a team, due to their history, doesnt make that team superior.

You know I don't think I could have said that any better man, nicely done.

Coral Reefer
11-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Seeing how Rutgers fans are getting so bent out of shape about how some fans of college football doubt Rutgers' deserving of NC consideration, I have a question.

I'd be interested to hear if the Rutgers fans would offer the arguments used in favor of their team to the Boise State cause.

Are they deserving of a Natl. Championship bid as well?

Should we all consider Boise State a National championship based on their perfect record alone?

More importantly, how do you Rutgers fans view Boise State?
Do you take them seriously or do you feel deep down that they are a bit overrated?

Cool Calm Mike
11-14-2006, 01:34 AM
Seeing how Rutgers fans are getting so bent out of shape about how some fans of college football doubt Rutgers' deserving of NC consideration, I have a question.

I'd be interested to hear if the Rutgers fans would offer the arguments used in favor of their team to the Boise State cause.

Should we all consider Boise State a National championship based on their perfect record alone?

Do you take them seriously or do you feel deep down that they are a bit overrated?

Boise State hasn't even beaten a ranked team.

nyjunc
11-14-2006, 08:43 AM
Boise State hasn't even beaten a ranked team.

Neither had RU until last week but RU fans were whining they were ranked too low.

Some of you confuse me. Half of you say the BE sucks because of the out of conference schedule, while others say the BE sucks due to the teams in their conference. Which is it?

It's both.

And if a team is to run the table and go undefeated, how do you fault them for their conference schedule? Is it because you don't know a lot about the teams in the conference (USF, UCONN maybe)? Some of which are playing good football (Cincy, USF).

Comcy is playing well lately? They got crushed by WVU last game and prior to that they beat USF and SU- not exactly juggernauts. They beat Akron by just 6 and got crushed by Pitt. Their big win of th year is over USF.

As for USF, they are playing good football? It must be the big wins over "great" SU and Pitt teams that have you convinced. This is a team that won by a point over Fla Int'l and their big win of the year is over a Pitt team that has lost 3 in a row.

The BE stinks, they look better b/c they have 3 pretty good teams but those teams are feeding off the rest of the conf which is abysmal. Any halfway decent team would have at most 1 loss w/ the scheds the top 3 have played and all would have at least 2-3 loss if they played an SEC sched.

Ronnie Bass
11-14-2006, 08:50 AM

Sure, why wouldn't we consider them title contenders?

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-14-2006, 10:31 AM
As for USF, they are playing good football? It must be the big wins over "great" SU and Pitt teams that have you convinced. This is a team that won by a point over Fla Int'l and their big win of the year is over a Pitt team that has lost 3 in a row.
blah blah blah, you've never seen USF play. they are so much better now than against FIU, when matt grothe was making his first start as a freshman, and the team had tons of suspensions and injuries.

and on a big east scheduling note....USF will play @ Auburn next year. and they will win handily. :D

nyjunc
11-14-2006, 10:47 AM
blah blah blah, you've never seen USF play. they are so much better now than against FIU, when matt grothe was making his first start as a freshman, and the team had tons of suspensions and injuries.

and on a big east scheduling note....USF will play @ Auburn next year. and they will win handily. :D

Yep they are great now:rolleyes2 They did beat up a great SU team and a Pitt teamt hat's been playing amazing football the past month:lol: Any way you slice it the BE is terrible after the top 3 and the top 3 have lived off beating up those bad teams.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-14-2006, 10:49 AM
they beat them, didn't they? can't ask for more than that.

nyjunc
11-14-2006, 10:56 AM
they beat them, didn't they? can't ask for more than that.

They beat bad teams, that makes USF good? Give me one decent team they have beaten?

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-14-2006, 11:00 AM
they beat YO MAMA!!!!! oh SNAP!

Bumpus
11-14-2006, 11:38 AM

:lol:
Mike, Mike, Mike...

When will you learn? You can't simply use facts to back up an argument against the "the-Big-Eas(y)-sucks-and-don't-deserve-consideration-because-they-don't-play-anyone" crowd. That would shatter the comfy little world that they have created for themselves. My God, can you think of the staggering number of Bulldog fans who committed hari-kari after the Sugar Bowl last year. It's much more convenient for them to believe that NO Big East team deserves to be ranked ahead of their beloved (insert team here) when it comes to who should play in which bowl game.

kpcane
11-14-2006, 11:43 AM
If Rutgers remains undefeated, and doesn't go the national championship game, then there is something REALLY wrong with the BCS...and this coming from someone who thinks the Big East is absolute garbage.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-14-2006, 11:50 AM
i think rutgers can get in. the computers really love them. all it would take is a USC loss to cal, a notre dame loss to USC, and arkansas beating UF. all VERY possible. of course, they have to worry about cincinnati and WVU first...

Ronnie Bass
11-14-2006, 11:56 AM
i think rutgers can get in. the computers really love them. all it would take is a USC loss to cal, a notre dame loss to USC, and arkansas beating UF. all VERY possible. of course, they have to worry about cincinnati and WVU first...

I could easily see them blow it against Cincy, this is what you call a bigtime trap game, that would be a bloody shame if they don't win after the week they had.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-14-2006, 11:57 AM
i dunno, i think schiano is just too good of a coach to let that happen.

Ronnie Bass
11-14-2006, 11:59 AM
i dunno, i think schiano is just too good of a coach to let that happen.

You might be right there, you can bet it will make every effort to make sure they don't let down and he's VERY good at getting his message across to this team.

Either way this weeks game will be tough, win or lose.

Cuban Dave 9
11-14-2006, 12:03 PM
They beat bad teams, that makes USF good? Give me one decent team they have beaten?
UL last year

Bumpus
11-14-2006, 01:21 PM
I've gotta say, I'm quite impressed with this Rutgers team. (Did I just say that out loud? :lol: )
At the start of the season, I knew that they would continue to improve ... but to expect this? Shutting Louisville's potent offense completely down in the second half. WOW! Somehow, I didn't really expect a real battle at season's end this year. Now, I'm happy we face them at home.

Big Props. Ignore the haters, the Big East IS a real conference!

nyjunc
11-14-2006, 03:22 PM

You don't see a problem w/ the computers having RU so high when they have beatne ONE quality opponent and have struggled w/ some medicore to bad teams?

UL last year

If we were talking about last year you'd have a point.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-14-2006, 03:43 PM
You don't see a problem w/ the computers having RU so high when they have beatne ONE quality opponent and have struggled w/ some medicore to bad teams?
hmmmmmmm no.

nyjunc
11-14-2006, 04:22 PM
hmmmmmmm no.

That's why College Football is a joke. You can play 1 maybe 2 tough games all year then play for a title over a team that might lsoe a game or 2 that played a much tougher sched and proved themselves.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-14-2006, 04:25 PM
nope, that's why college football is so great. every game matters. :wink:

Ronnie Bass
11-14-2006, 04:29 PM
That's why College Football is a joke. You can play 1 maybe 2 tough games all year then play for a title over a team that might lsoe a game or 2 that played a much tougher sched and proved themselves.

I don't need a stinkin' schedule to tell if a team is legit or not, watching them play usually works for me.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-14-2006, 04:31 PM
I don't need a stinkin' schedule to tell if a team is legit or not, watching them play usually works for me.
:yeahthat:

that's the problem. the people who CONSTANTLY break down the schedule to a ridiculous degree don't actually watch the teams play.

nyjunc
11-14-2006, 04:34 PM

When it's based on rankings and there isn't a playoff system you need to base it on quality of opponents. I never said RU, UL or WVU weren't good teams but it's clear they aren't great teams and great teams should play for the Nat'l title not good ones who benefit from playing nobodies.

that's the problem. the people who CONSTANTLY break down the schedule to a ridiculous degree don't actually watch the teams play.

So you ahve watched all of RU, UL and WVU's games? I have probably watched as much, if not more of those teams games.

nyjunc
11-14-2006, 04:37 PM
nope, that's why college football is so great. every game matters. :wink:

Yeah it's great when there arre maybe 4 or 5 big games a year and when teams play 1-2 big games. It's much better than having a playoff where you can determine a true Champion:shakeno: I always look forwad to when ohio State plays indiana or Minnesota:lol:

Ronnie Bass
11-14-2006, 04:43 PM
When it's based on rankings and there isn't a playoff system you need to base it on quality of opponents. I never said RU, UL or WVU weren't good teams but it's clear they aren't great teams and great teams should play for the Nat'l title not good ones who benefit from playing nobodies.

How on earth is it clear they are all not great teams??

And your the one who is basically basing your whole arguement on teams schedule, not us, were just stating the obvious.

Coral Reefer
11-14-2006, 06:09 PM

Well that kind of comes back to who the team is playing to really guage how good a team is dosen't it?

Look, I don't think the college football fans that doubt the Big East are doing it to try and be dicks about this.

Teams are ultimately guaged on who they've played and beaten. Bottom line is that we haven't seen any Big East teams play any top teams. Louisville did play Miami but unfortunately this is a year where that just can't be considered a win against a top program. If even one team had played a top team and won then you'd see college football fans without allegiances to Big East football possibly coming around.

Until that happens you'll see a lot of college football fans doubting whether Louisville, WV and Rutgers could hang with a Florida, USC, OSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, etc.

NJPHIN34
11-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Well that kind of comes back to who the team is playing to really guage how good a team is dosen't it?

Look, I don't think the college football fans that doubt the Big East are doing it to try and be dicks about this.

Teams are ultimately guaged on who they've played and beaten. Bottom line is that we haven't seen any Big East teams play any top teams. Louisville did play Miami but unfortunately this is a year where that just can't be considered a win against a top program. If even one team had played a top team and won then you'd see college football fans without allegiances to Big East football possibly coming around.

Until that happens you'll see a lot of college football fans doubting whether Louisville, WV and Rutgers could hang with a Florida, USC, OSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, etc.

Pretty true and hopefully opportunities like that present themselves in BCS bowls. It would be amazing to see RU in the NC but I wouldn't be opposed to something like the Sugar Bowl against ND. That would be a great opportunity to prove themselves. WVU represented last year in the BCS and now it's time for RU.

PHANTASTIC 13
11-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Rutgers was impressive in their comeback victory against Louisville, they still have a tough game against West Virgina left. That being said, if they do win their remaining games...they deserve a shot at the championship....but they will not beat Ohio State or Michigan for the National Championship. In my opinion....the national championship is being played this Saturday in Columbus.

Ronnie Bass
11-15-2006, 12:30 AM

Rutgers came back from three touchdowns down and beat the #3 team in the country, or they were #3 in everybody's minds until a team like Rutgers beat them. Now it seems Louisville is garbage on these boards, how exactly is that?

I haven't said anyone has been a dick, but believe me, there is alot of prejudice being played around here with the Big East, not everybody mind you, but it's here and more than you think.

You see, this makes no sense man, what does the fact other Big East teams have not beaten or played top teams got to do with if Rutgers is a title contender or not?

Honestly, THIS type of thinking is what is killing the championships title game for college football, it's becoming a joke because of it.

And you don't find this very wrong and sad? I know I do.

nyjunc
11-15-2006, 08:10 AM
How on earth is it clear they are all not great teams??

And your the one who is basically basing your whole arguement on teams schedule, not us, were just stating the obvious.

By watching them. Rutgers played close games against an awful UNC team and needed a blown call to beat them and they barely beat a mediocre USF team. Louisville struggled mightily at a bad SU team and struggled against a mediocre Cincy team, WVU struggled against SU but pulled away then lost fairly easily against the only quality team they played all year.

The better question is what do you think makes them great teams? when have they proven greatness?

Ronnie Bass
11-15-2006, 09:06 AM
By watching them. Rutgers played close games against an awful UNC team and needed a blown call to beat them and they barely beat a mediocre USF team. Louisville struggled mightily at a bad SU team and struggled against a mediocre Cincy team, WVU struggled against SU but pulled away then lost fairly easily against the only quality team they played all year.

The better question is what do you think makes them great teams? when have they proven greatness?

Ohio St. barely beat an awful Illinois team 17-10, a team Rutgers crushed 33-0, Michigan barely beat Ball State 34-26, Florida barely beat Vanderbilt 25-19, do you want me to go on and continue to show how your little schedule game you like to play is totally off base? And these are only the teams in front of Rutgers in the polls.

As far as which Big East team is great we still have to see how this all plays out, if Rutgers loses any of the next two games we can eliminate them, but if they run the table or even WV does then you really have to say they are great teams, difference here is you already stated with this comment:

but it's clear they aren't great teams

That in your opinion there is basically no chance from any of the two teams to be considered a great team which is with all due respect is totally ridiculous because if Rutgers does go 12-0 and wins a BCS game, how on earth are you going to be able stand by this comment?

nyjunc
11-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Ohio St. barely beat an awful Illinois team 17-10, a team Rutgers crushed 33-0, Michigan barely beat Ball State 34-26, Florida barely beat Vanderbilt 25-19, do you want me to go on and continue to show how your little schedule game you like to play is totally off base? And these are only the teams in front of Rutgers in the polls.

That's fine, every team plays some close games but those teams beat some damn good tams which we can't say about he top 3 of the BE. OSU blew out everyone until Illinois, outside of UT they have played a very soft sched just like Mich outside of ND b/c the Big 10 stinks as well. I don't think Mich is a great team, I do think OSU is a great teamb/c of the ease they have beaten teams.

Ronnie Bass
11-15-2006, 09:26 AM
That's fine, every team plays some close games but those teams beat some damn good tams which we can't say about he top 3 of the BE. OSU blew out everyone until Illinois, outside of UT they have played a very soft sched just like Mich outside of ND b/c the Big 10 stinks as well. I don't think Mich is a great team, I do think OSU is a great teamb/c of the ease they have beaten teams.

You really gotta get past this schedule thing man, it's not the only way we should judge teams and because the moronic BCS system relies heavily on the schedule doesn't mean you have to.

But I'm still curious if Rutgers goes 12-0 and beats say ND in the Sugar Bowl how they can't be considered a great team in your opinion?

nyjunc
11-15-2006, 09:58 AM
You really gotta get past this schedule thing man, it's not the only way we should judge teams and because the moronic BCS system relies heavily on the schedule doesn't mean you have to.

But I'm still curious if Rutgers goes 12-0 and beats say ND in the Sugar Bowl how they can't be considered a great team in your opinion?

I don't think ND is a great team, I think this is a very down year for CFB but at last some scholls have played dificult scheds and beaten good teams.

In your opinion Boise State must be a great team then? they are unbeaten, who cares that they have beaten creampuffs. Is that how you feel?

Ronnie Bass
11-15-2006, 09:59 AM
In your opinion Boise State must be a great team then? they are unbeaten, who cares that they have beaten creampuffs. Is that how you feel?

If they run the table and win a major bowl game? Yes.

Are you ever going to answer the Rutgers question?

nyjunc
11-15-2006, 10:28 AM

Are you ever going to answer the Rutgers question?

I have answere every question but you are not answering my questions.

I'll give in, Ii'll consider RU a great team if they run the table and win a BCS game. I think if they run the table meaning they'll beat WVU at WVU then they should play for the title. I don't think UL and WVU are great but those are 2 quality wins, something alot of tams cannot say they have w/o a loss.

Ronnie Bass
11-15-2006, 10:42 AM
I have answere every question but you are not answering my questions.

Whoa, what questions have I not answered?

I'll give in, Ii'll consider RU a great team if they run the table and win a BCS game. I think if they run the table meaning they'll beat WVU at WVU then they should play for the title. I don't think UL and WVU are great but those are 2 quality wins, something alot of tams cannot say they have w/o a loss.

Fair enough.

And to be honest I have NO problem with anyone suggesting that Rutgers shouldn't be in the title game, I just have a problem when people say if Rutgers runs the table they still shouldn't be considered a title contender.

My main problem with the BCS is not that the wrong teams are getting a shot but that maybe the right teams are being denied one and a easy fix - or better fix - is something I suggested before in having four teams play for the title like the way they do it for the Final Four in basketball.

Why they won't do this is beyond me.

nyjunc
11-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Whoa, what questions have I not answered?

I asked you what do you think makes them great teams? when have they proven greatness? and I asked you why Boise Stae isn't great since they are undefeated?

Ronnie Bass
11-15-2006, 11:03 AM
I asked you what do you think makes them great teams? when have they proven greatness? and I asked you why Boise Stae isn't great since they are undefeated?

I thought I did:

I mean it's a simple answer but for me that's all a team has to do to be considered a great team, if you win all your games including a major bowl game there is no reason I can see to not consider a team that does this in Division I a great team.

HurriPhin
11-17-2006, 03:38 AM
USF will play @ Auburn next year. and they will win handily. :D

What!?!? win... handily... :grouplaug
And to think you had the audacity to call someone "clueless" in a post earlier. I would love to take your money on this game next year. Puh puh please!

DonShula84
11-17-2006, 06:22 AM
What!?!? win... handily... :grouplaug
And to think you had the audacity to call someone "clueless" in a post earlier. I would love to take your money on this game next year. Puh puh please!

I think the smile at the end of her post indicates a hint of sarcasm/wishful thinking...

However UL winning the Big East and playing for a title is far more unrealistic than USF beating Auburn.

HurriPhin
11-17-2006, 06:50 AM
However UL winning the Big East and playing for a title is far more unrealistic than USF beating Auburn.

So would you like in on this wager as well or is your big mouth to busy defending the lady.

DonShula84
11-17-2006, 07:37 AM
So would you like in on this wager as well or is your big mouth to busy defending the lady.

:lol: I didnt say USF would win, I couldnt care less, why would I want to bet on it? The comeback, lets bet on it especially over the internet, reminds me of my 10 year old cousin. He'll bet you a million dollars if you want. He'd also bet you that his dad can beat up your dad if you want to take it down to that level.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-17-2006, 09:31 AM
you have no clue how to read, do you Hurriphin? well, at least you're being true to your Cane roots.

Cuban Dave 9
11-17-2006, 02:27 PM
you have no clue how to read, do you Hurriphin? well, at least you're being true to your Cane roots.
ouch...I've noticed a lot of hostile canes fans as of late

Motion
11-17-2006, 02:32 PM
ouch...I've noticed a lot of hostile canes fans as of late

Losing season will do that to you.

HurriPhin
11-18-2006, 02:50 AM

I am truly bitter :fire:

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-18-2006, 04:43 PM
i wish they were like FSU fans.....in other words.......MIA.

Roman529
11-18-2006, 04:54 PM
I think it is wrong that teams like Louisville, Boise State and Rutgers don't get the respect that other schools who are undefeated or have one loss get.....that's why we need a playoff system. :tantrum:

FinsNYanksFan13
11-18-2006, 04:57 PM
If Rutgers gets by West Virginia I think their worthy. But I honestly don't think their getting past them!

Coral Reefer
11-19-2006, 12:43 AM
I think it is wrong that teams like Louisville, Boise State and Rutgers don't get the respect that other schools who are undefeated or have one loss get.....that's why we need a playoff system. :tantrum:

Well, you don't have to worry about the Big East squads getting the respect they "deserve" now.

They never deserved being mentioned in the NC talks to begin with.

I wonder if all the Louisville and Rutgers fans will be clamouring for Boise States cause like they did their own?

Martel
11-19-2006, 12:46 AM
Big East sucks

Martel
11-19-2006, 12:46 AM

Nice :lol:

LtDan
11-19-2006, 12:54 AM
thread should die now I guess

MoFinz
11-19-2006, 07:12 PM
No....we people who dont know football wont let it :lol:

Yeah, tell me again.......lets hear ya

Ooops, i guess its hard to talk with all that crap coming out and all that crow going in huh?

FinsNYanksFan13
11-19-2006, 07:14 PM
It's one thing to lose, it's another to get your butt whipped. Rutgers got their butt whipped....by a mediocre team at that!

FLOUNDER
11-20-2006, 12:22 AM
If Rutgers gets by West Virginia I think their worthy. But I honestly don't think their getting past them!

I dont see that happening, with the game being in morgantown, deffinet edge for WVU. I'll be there and hopefully my boys will win this one and send us to a BCS game

HurriPhin
11-20-2006, 02:35 AM

...except Cincinnati

MoFinz
11-20-2006, 09:42 AM
...except Cincinnati

:sidelol:

MoFinz
11-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Wonder where all the "Rutgers is a National Title Contender" people disappeared to?

Probably calling 1-900 numbers for "LOCK OF THE WEEK" picks