PDA

View Full Version : Boosters paid Bowden $537,000 to resign

DeathStar
11-15-2006, 03:50 PM
[/URL]
[URL="http://sportsline.com/collegefootball/teams/page/FLST"]Florida State (http://sportsline.com/collegefootball/teams/page/FLST) offensive coordinator Jeff Bowden received a $537,000 buyout from the school's boosters to resign.

Bowden -- youngest son of head coach Bobby Bowden -- retains his present $141,000 salary until his contract expires next August. He then will receive annual payments of $107,500 until August 2012.

The agreement, dated Nov. 14, was signed by Jeff Bowden, whose legal first name is George, and Andy Miller, president of Seminole Boosters, Inc.

http://sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9804728

Motion
11-15-2006, 03:52 PM
:lol: Thats so sad!

Cuban Dave 9
11-15-2006, 03:57 PM
:lol:

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-15-2006, 04:04 PM
arggh, if only i had 538,000, i could've convinced him to stay!

Stitches
11-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Damn man, that's quite the sweet severance deal.

finswin56
11-15-2006, 04:22 PM
Wow.
Fin Kat, I can add about $20 to your bribe!

Oboy
11-15-2006, 04:25 PM
LOL, I am surprised that's all they had to pay him. I thought it would have been a $1Mil...

Motion
11-15-2006, 04:29 PM
This is like a Gator Nation meeting in here. :lol:

Stitches
11-15-2006, 04:38 PM
This is like a Gator Nation meeting in here. :lol:
I'm a Nittany Lion fan, but one Bowden leaving means we're closer to the next. And then JoePa can go back to #1 all-time where he belongs.

Motion
11-15-2006, 04:39 PM
I'm a Nittany Lion fan, but one Bowden leaving means we're closer to the next. And then JoePa can go back to #1 all-time where he belongs.

:yes:

Kev83
11-15-2006, 05:12 PM
I've got my own opinions about which coach should be #1 all-time in wins....

But since the Bear's streak is over, I'd much rather see JoePa get it, instead of Bobby Crimnole Bowden. Too bad it probably won't happen.

PrepDogg
11-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Damn and I thought he just took the bullet for his old man out of the goodness of his heart. That's a sweet friggin' deal. :cooldude:

<---Also PSU Fan.

FinSinceBirth
11-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Elder Bowden has said he was dissapointed in his son for stepping down, and this was very emotional for him. Something tells me that he doesn't know the boosters bribed his son to step down. I think when Bobby finds out he'll be pretty upset, and this could dampen relationships between the noles and Bowden. First the boosters write for Bobby's retirement and then bribe his son to quit. You don't mess with family. And this could hamper his decision to return......

What do you guys think?

PrepDogg
11-15-2006, 06:39 PM
Elder Bowden has said he was dissapointed in his son for stepping down, and this was very emotional for him. Something tells me that he doesn't know the boosters bribed his son to step down. I think when Bobby finds out he'll be pretty upset, and this could dampen relationships between the noles and Bowden. First the boosters write for Bobby's retirement and then bribe his son to quit. You don't mess with family. And this could hamper his decision to return......

What do you guys think?

It certainly can't help if he thinks they went behind his back to bribe his son. I'd be pretty heated.

finswin56
11-15-2006, 09:50 PM

What do you guys think?I don't know Steve. Bobby's been around the block a few hundred times. Not many head coaches keep the media under their thumb like Bobby Bowden and his Good Ole' Boy charm.

IMO, he knew all about it from the beginning. He couldn't have addressed the media any other way than he did w/o coming across as slamming his son. Jeff was gone no matter what, so Bobby only had to be the good father and allow the natural course of things to take place.. boosters taking control of their proud program w/o defacing their legendary head coach.

Wombat
11-16-2006, 12:23 AM
Now if only Miami can get do the same with their coaches :D

305TillIDie
11-16-2006, 12:37 AM
hell, give me $537,000, ill resign too :eek:

305TillIDie
11-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Now if only Miami can get do the same with their coaches :D

ill tell you what we can do..get Ray, Irvin, Winslow, portis, James and others to buy out the staff...*ching ching* :lol:

NorthFloridaFin
11-17-2006, 11:21 PM
Bobby Bowden single-handely turned FSU into a 5-star Program over the years. But there is just too much nepotism going on in our program right now for us to be successful. Getting rid of Jeff is just the 1st step to cleaning out the rest of our coaches I believe.

Bobby on the other hand, is going to stay just as long as he wants to, which has been said time and time again by the University President. He will probably be mad the rest of the year, but he will get over it. If he can't get over it, then so long Bobby.

We love Bobby, but just because he has been with us for so long, doesn't give him the right to run this program into the ground like it is headed. We have been complaining for about 4 years now, and we kept getting told it was going to get better, it was going to get better. Well, it never got better, and it is a blessed day now that we can say that we don't have an IDIOT for an offensive coordinator anymore.

finswin56
11-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Bobby Bowden single-handely turned FSU into a 5-star Program over the years. But there is just too much nepotism going on in our program right now for us to be successful. Getting rid of Jeff is just the 1st step to cleaning out the rest of our coaches I believe.

Bobby on the other hand, is going to stay just as long as he wants to, which has been said time and time again by the University President. He will probably be mad the rest of the year, but he will get over it. If he can't get over it, then so long Bobby.

We love Bobby, but just because he has been with us for so long, doesn't give him the right to run this program into the ground like it is headed. We have been complaining for about 4 years now, and we kept getting told it was going to get better, it was going to get better. Well, it never got better, and it is a blessed day now that we can say that we don't have an IDIOT for an offensive coordinator anymore.:confused: I don't see the problem.

cnc66
11-18-2006, 10:05 AM
:confused: I don't see the problem.

hahahaha, this is like Bobby's "endorsement" of Choker... the ONLY UM coach he can actually beat....

Motion
11-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Noles barely squeek by Western Michigan :lol:

cnc66
11-18-2006, 06:55 PM
I wonder how much the alums would come up with to dump choker

finswin56
11-18-2006, 08:25 PM
Noles barely squeek by Western Michigan :lol:I wouldn't be opposed to putting a 62 spot up next week.

Motion
11-19-2006, 03:04 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to putting a 62 spot up next week.

Why stop there? :lol: