PDA

View Full Version : New UM Head Coach?

tampafinfan9201
11-16-2006, 09:18 PM
i dont know if anyone has heard anything or if yall have any opinions on who should be our new coach?

Caps
11-16-2006, 09:31 PM
I want Gene Chizik, DC of Texas.

Roman529
11-16-2006, 09:54 PM
Don Strock....he can do better than FIU....I believe he resigned or was fired today. :shakeno:

Perfect23
11-16-2006, 10:01 PM
Don Shula for the U he would get so much recruits if he went there.

HysterikiLL
11-16-2006, 11:54 PM
I want Gene Chizik, DC of Texas.

Well you can't have him!

DawgFan
11-16-2006, 11:57 PM
Derek Hagan!! haha,

I seriously think larry is gonna stay atleast one more year, if he doens't get the U far next year, he is done. :dolphins:<---ASU helmet

Alex44
11-17-2006, 12:00 AM
Derek Hagan!! haha,

I seriously think larry is gonna stay atleast one more year, if he doens't get the U far next year, he is done. :dolphins:<---ASU helmet
Um there is NO way he will be here passed this year. We could very well end up with a losing record, that is suicide by Miami standards

HurriPhin
11-17-2006, 01:52 AM
I wish we could have let Coker go in midseason and made a run for Butch Davis, much like Florida did with Zook and thier pursuit in Urban Meyer "Weiner". But since that possibility is out of the question...

Greg Schiano - UM's former offensive coordinator. Yes, he's done wonders with the Rutgers (by recruiting heavily in FL) and is a NJ alumni, but I think given a choice b/w the two programs he'd come back to UM. Plus, he obviously has great recruiting connections in FL.

Dom Capers - Just a hunch tha he would like to be head coach again someday. And here's to hoping it would be in the NCAA.

Coral Reefer
11-17-2006, 02:08 AM
I wish we could have let Coker go in midseason and made a run for Butch Davis, much like Florida did with Zook and thier pursuit in Urban Meyer "Weiner". But since that possibility is out of the question...

Greg Schiano - UM's former offensive coordinator. Yes, he's done wonders with the Rutgers (by recruiting heavily in FL) and is a NJ alumni, but I think given a choice b/w the two programs he'd come back to UM. Plus, he obviously has great recruiting connections in FL.

Dom Capers - Just a hunch tha he would like to be head coach again someday. And here's to hoping it would be in the NCAA.

I don't know about Schiano for 2 reasons.

First many analysts in college football have him dedicated to staying at Rutgers until the Penn St. job opens which they report he has much stronger connections to than UM.

In addition, NJ has a huge corp. community of boosters they can draw upon and it's reported these very deep pockets are willing to pay out the arse to keep him in NJ.

Secondly UM itself is a huge variable.

The UM admin has serious questions surrounding it as to what their plans are for the program. Many feel they are de-emphasizing the program. They'll try to keep it competetive but are not willing to go the extra mile it takes to keep the program a powerhouse.

If this is the plan of Shalalalah then you certainly won't see them pursuing and paying a hefty price for what is going to be one of the hottest coaches in college football after this year.

How the admin addresses this season and the types of coaches they attempt to bring in, if any changes are made, will tell the future of this program for a long time IMO.

HurriPhin
11-17-2006, 02:28 AM
I know Miami has the $$$ to spend, but I wasn't aware of Schiano's interest in Penn St. And I hope what you said about de-empasizing the program isn't true. If so, then someone needs to send that crazy b!tch packing.

Coral Reefer
11-17-2006, 02:54 AM
I know Miami has the $$$ to spend, but I wasn't aware of Schiano's interest in Penn St. And I hope what you said about de-empasizing the program isn't true. If so, then someone needs to send that crazy b!tch packing.

:lol:

There are a couple of boosters I know that would very much like to fit her with cement boots.

Only in fantasy mind you, these guys aren't "wise guys".

305TillIDie
11-17-2006, 02:56 AM
I just hope Miami gets a top notch coach and not some scrub :refuse:

pick a great coach Mrs. Donna Shaalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala :yes:

Coral Reefer
11-17-2006, 03:02 AM
I just hope Miami gets a top notch coach and not some scrub :refuse:

pick a great coach Mrs. Donna Shaalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala :yes:

We'll all be holding our breath this offseason for the U.

On another note, the Pata thing sucked.
I see you knew him.
Sorry for the loss man.
Out of all the trouble makers this team has had, this guy from all accounts was NOT one of them.

That old Billy Joel song "Only the Good Die Young" rings true sometimes.

305TillIDie
11-17-2006, 03:10 AM
We'll all be holding our breath this offseason for the U.

On another note, the Pata thing sucked.
I see you knew him.
Sorry for the loss man.
Out of all the trouble makers this team has had, this guy from all accounts was NOT one of them.

That old Billy Joel song "Only the Good Die Young" rings true sometimes.thanks brah

yeah..Pata was a good guy..everyone liked him...in the Miami-FIU Brawl, he was the one putting his teammates back and defending them..the same guy to run on the field and fired up Miami's offense in the GT game..smacking the Linemans and Kyle wright on the head..pumping them up

a true leader at heart..I still cant believe big fella is gone

Daunt8TDChris84
11-17-2006, 03:28 AM
well now that you saw the fiu brawl.. what just came to mind is do you think a fiu football alumni did this?

for example you never know what grudges those fiu players may have from that fight and embarrasing loss.... on tv they say pata had no enemies so im thinking can that brawl have triggered something?

tj whosyourmama said hes boys were gonna talk to mcree after that hit (someone here said that)in cali some people take football outside the field which is something that is complelety stupid and threathening thing to do.

By the way i dont want coker he sucks.

305TillIDie
11-17-2006, 03:44 AM
well now that you saw the fiu brawl.. what just came to mind is do you think a fiu football alumni did this?

for example you never know what grudges those fiu players may have from that fight and embarrasing loss.... on tv they say pata had no enemies so im thinking can that brawl have triggered something?

tj whosyourmama said hes boys were gonna talk to mcree after that hit (someone here said that)in cali some people take football outside the field which is something that is complelety stupid and threathening thing to do.

By the way i dont want coker he sucks.naw..I dont think someone from FIU or anyone on the football team did something like this...FIU players gave out their condolences to the family

im hearing it was someone who was Jealous of Bryan..Bryan always had a nice car, fresh clothes..everything..no one knows for sure though

209FinFan
11-17-2006, 04:30 AM
Cokers gonna be back for one more year. I guarantee it.

HurriPhin
11-17-2006, 05:28 AM

I have a sick sense that you might be right :eek:, but I honestly hope your not

kpcane
11-17-2006, 08:01 AM

word on the street is he was canned the day before pata's murder, mr. 2 post guarantee man. that sounds like a good bud light commercial. anyway they're waiting until the end of the season to announce it, as dee has already said he would stick with coker and 'evaluate at the end of the year'. supposedly the evaluation is done. you can't get away with 5 losses at this U.

Jaydog57
11-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Let's start from scratch. Bring back Schellenberger :cool:

Alex44
11-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Its to bad Butch Davis already has a new home. I wish him luck with that though....I just hope he doesnt make them too good :lol:

I really like the head coach of fresno state but Im not sure he is good enough for the U I really dont follow Fresno State or know THAT much about him.

Daunt8TDChris84
11-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Its to bad Butch Davis already has a new home. I wish him luck with that though....I just hope he doesnt make them too good :lol:

I really like the head coach of fresno state but Im not sure he is good enough for the U I really dont follow Fresno State or know THAT much about him.

what does son of miami mean?

Alex44
11-17-2006, 03:03 PM
what does son of miami mean?

Truthfully Im not exactly sure, ask Tone_E

He just had made the sig and I asked if I could use it.

Kdawg954
11-17-2006, 09:20 PM
I was one of the main people saying Coker is gone after this season . . . however I am slowly starting to retract that statement.

I had no idea that Miami was paying off 2 basketball coaches as we speak (Not including the Bball coach we currently have). They just extended Coker . . . so to fire him, that would mean we have to pay off 3 coaches now. Combine that and trying to bring in a stud Head Coach for a minimum of 2 million a year . . . and I just don't see that happening.

Only chance I feel for us to get a coach is getting a up and comming coach . . . I have heard the dude from Tulsa is looking like a nice, affordable option with potential. Definetly under a million a year. All this Schiano talk, and even the Butch talk really doesn't seem to float with the money situation we have going on in the athletics department. So either Coker will be back, or a cheap guy like the Tulsa coach or even Randy Shannon are probably the options.

This is looking to be a tuff stretch for the Canes, we definetly need some luck this offseason.

MikeO
11-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Bring Back JIMMY!! lol

Alex44
11-17-2006, 09:42 PM
How much can we possibly be paying those basketball coaches? Its not like UM is a basketball hotspot.....

Motion
11-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Wow, Canes go down again. WHo you guys play next week? BC?
Tough game to become Bowl eligible. Coker has to go.

Caps
11-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Wow, Canes go down again. WHo you guys play next week? VT?
BC.

I now want Chizik as HC/DC, and Jason Garrett as OC/QBs.

Mike13
11-18-2006, 04:17 PM
Don Strock....he can do better than FIU....I believe he resigned or was fired today. :shakeno:

He "resigned" 0-9:shakeno:.

He was an okay coach for a new program.

I have no clue who UM will go after.

Jaydog57
11-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Tough game to become Bowl eligible. Coker has to go.yeah,BC looks pretty good so far, god I never thought I'd say that.:shakeno:

Kdawg954
11-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Tough game to become Bowl eligible. Coker has to go.

Yea, I mean there isn't much to say. The team has talent . . . maybe not the same talent from years past, but they do have talent. What I saw today was disgraceful . . . especially on offense . . I mean we look like a high school football team with the playcalling I saw today, and the sad thing is . . . we actually "can" run the ball, but it is obviously clear now that something is wrong with the coaching, from coaching the players (especially QB) . . to coaching the game/play calls. Yea the offensive line isn't great in pass protection, but as good as they are in the run blocking dept. they should be coached up. Honestly I see some talented guys out there, and I know it has been a tuff, long, emotional season to say the least for this program but to play like the Canes played today is just unacceptable.

It is gonna be tuff for this program to replace Coker because there isn't alot of money to pay him off and get a big name coach . . . but after today's performance . . it is just too too obvious that the whole staff needs to just be shown the door and bring in a guy who can compile a staff and start this train over. The Miami program is back at one of its low points, and it will not turnaround with Coker, might as well go another direction.

The defense was getting gashed a bit today, but believe me when I say . . they are the only reason why Miami isn't being "blown out" every game. I feel for the D, they play their hearts out and no matter how good they play, it goes for none because the offense just can't move the ball, I mean that is as simple as it can get. This is college football, and when u can't move the ball thru the air atleast a little bit, u just can't compete, and that is where we are right now. HOnestly, the D is the only reason why we have won 5 games, because the offense IMO is possibly the worst offense outside of Temple in Division 1 football . . . and that is with a good running game. smh.

FinsNYanksFan13
11-18-2006, 04:40 PM
I think it's all she wrote on Coker. I think he loses to BC and is fired before the end of the year!

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-18-2006, 04:42 PM
I think it's all she wrote on Coker. I think he loses to BC and is fired before the end of the year!
well if they lose to BC, that IS the end of the year....

Mike13
11-18-2006, 05:32 PM
The defense was getting gashed a bit today, but believe me when I say . . they are the only reason why Miami isn't being "blown out" every game. I feel for the D, they play their hearts out and no matter how good they play, it goes for none because the offense just can't move the ball, I mean that is as simple as it can get. This is college football, and when u can't move the ball thru the air atleast a little bit, u just can't compete, and that is where we are right now

Hmmm the the Canes have some parallels to the Fins this year.

cnc66
11-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Hmmm the the Canes have some parallels to the Fins this year.

no they don't... the U has quit and Choker sucks.

Mike13
11-18-2006, 05:44 PM
no they don't... the U has quit and Choker sucks.

I mean't about the good D and mediocre passing game.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-18-2006, 06:29 PM
their D hasn't been good this year at all.

Retnuhrace
11-18-2006, 06:40 PM
Soooo....

Schiano?
Norm Chow?
Steve Mariucci?
Norv Turner?
Gene Chizik?
Cam Cameron?
Bo Pelini?
Dave Wannstedt?
Jimmy Johnson?

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-18-2006, 06:41 PM
how about jon gruden?

cnc66
11-18-2006, 06:44 PM
how about jon gruden?

he makes great faces...you don't think he's leaving Tampa do you?

nice list Retnuhrace... I had not considered Norv..I can't see him leaving the NFL tho... Mooch is another I had not thought about.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-18-2006, 06:47 PM
well...the bucs have a lot of cap room coming up. and no one has been happy with gruden's decisions. so, i dunno if the glazers will be thrilled knowing the next 4-5 years of the franchise could rest in gruden's hands. they've made some AWFUL free agent signings (todd steussie, charlie garner, rob johnson...), and with the way the offense is being misused, and of course the dwindling crowds at games, wouldn't surprise me to see gruden axed...

Jaydog57
11-18-2006, 07:06 PM
Please, no Gruden, that non happy ******* can go back where he came from. He needs to get off his high horse and realize he'll never have what Dungy had in Tampa, which he's carried over into Indy. I don't want that grumpy ***** coaching my Canes:mad:

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-18-2006, 07:09 PM
gruden isn't even a grumpy guy, that's all just an act. that's oen of the reasons why his players don't like him much...he's been called a "phoney" by some former players.

Alex44
11-18-2006, 08:36 PM
their D hasn't been good this year at all.

Were second in the ACC in total yards allowed, and this defense has been just as good as any other UM defense in history, the only bad game we played was vs Louisville which just happens to be the only one everyone saw, even in that game they scored what 10 points in the first half?

kpcane
11-19-2006, 09:55 AM
Heck, I'd even take this guy at this point.

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/111906aak.html

cnc66
11-19-2006, 10:06 AM

maaaan, THAT would be a bitter pill to swallow. He IS successful in college but....sighhhhh I dunno...

finswin56
11-19-2006, 12:08 PM
maaaan, THAT would be a bitter pill to swallow. He IS successful in college but....sighhhhh I dunno...Good grief, that better be b.s.
I'll tell you one thing. Wright would either **** or get off the pot with Spurrier.

Caps
11-19-2006, 12:10 PM
The man can coach, I'd take him every day and twice on saturdays over Coker.

Kdawg954
11-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Spurrier would be a huge signing. One thing is for sure, he can fire up a college offense with his playcalling . . . and with the talent he has recruited before and the success and name he has . . . that would be an instant winner for Miami. I have been hearing about the Spurrier talk for a few weeks now, but I didn't think that was anything . . but if he is interested in the job . . . man u have to jump on that.

Coral Reefer
11-19-2006, 10:44 PM

WOW!

Did not see that coming.....

Would be surprised if the admin. really went after him.
They would have to pay out the nose for Spurrier.

Alex44
11-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Spurrier would be a huge signing. One thing is for sure, he can fire up a college offense with his playcalling . . . and with the talent he has recruited before and the success and name he has . . . that would be an instant winner for Miami. I have been hearing about the Spurrier talk for a few weeks now, but I didn't think that was anything . . but if he is interested in the job . . . man u have to jump on that.

The man is a legend in Florida....not just at Florida but in the whole state. He could recruit like a mad man.

Imagine Randy Shannon running the Defense and Spurrier running the offense. Thats a great coaching staff....hey at least I can dream

305TillIDie
11-19-2006, 10:54 PM
The man is a legend in Florida....not just at Florida but in the whole state. He could recruit like a mad man.

Imagine Randy Shannon running the Defense and Spurrier running the offense. Thats a great coaching staff....hey at least I can dreamcheck this out..Steve denied the rumors...but...

CSTV broke the story and standing by it:

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/...111906abn.html (http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/111906abn.html)

Spurrier Still Likely Heading to Miami

Sources say South Carolina coach heading to Hurricanes
Nov. 19, 2006

By Brian Curtis
CSTV

"Despite Steve Spurrier's denials today in his weekly teleconference, sources tell CSTV that he is still heading to the University of Miami to replace Larry Coker as head football coach. CSTV first reported the story last night on Gametracker Live and SEC Football Nation.

In his media teleconference this afternoon at 2:00 pm, Spurrier was repeatedly asked about the Miami job, and denied that he was a candidate. However, following multiple questions asking him if he is in interested in the Miami job, the coach never insisted he wasn't interested, but instead, tip-toed around the answer. I asked him to state that he is not interested in Miami and again, the coach failed to state that he is not interested. Spurrier also jokingly said that he hopes to be back at South Carolina next year, but that depends on the school's athletic director and president.

Despite Spurrier's denials, CSTV stands by its initial reporting and has, in fact, confirmed from yet an additional source very close to the situation that Spurrier to Miami is still likely to happen."

I hope this happens :pray:

Coral Reefer
11-19-2006, 10:55 PM

:yes:

As CNC put it, "it would be a bitter pill to swallow" but a return to Cane football would get us all over it pretty quick.

Alex44
11-19-2006, 10:57 PM
check this out..Steve denied the rumors...but...

CSTV broke the story and standing by it:

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/...111906abn.html (http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/111906abn.html)

Spurrier Still Likely Heading to Miami

Sources say South Carolina coach heading to Hurricanes
Nov. 19, 2006

By Brian Curtis
CSTV

"Despite Steve Spurrier's denials today in his weekly teleconference, sources tell CSTV that he is still heading to the University of Miami to replace Larry Coker as head football coach. CSTV first reported the story last night on Gametracker Live and SEC Football Nation.

In his media teleconference this afternoon at 2:00 pm, Spurrier was repeatedly asked about the Miami job, and denied that he was a candidate. However, following multiple questions asking him if he is in interested in the Miami job, the coach never insisted he wasn't interested, but instead, tip-toed around the answer. I asked him to state that he is not interested in Miami and again, the coach failed to state that he is not interested. Spurrier also jokingly said that he hopes to be back at South Carolina next year, but that depends on the school's athletic director and president.

Despite Spurrier's denials, CSTV stands by its initial reporting and has, in fact, confirmed from yet an additional source very close to the situation that Spurrier to Miami is still likely to happen."

I hope this happens :pray:

Hey man havent talked to you in a while.

That would be awesome, and an instant lift off the ground for the program. I really think we have enough talent to win games if we are coached right. Kyle Wright has the arm for the deep passing game and he looks really good at times....I think he hasnt been coached right. I like Kirby Freeman to, he has the mobility that Kyle doesnt, we held him back way to much last week.

Vertical Limit
11-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Steve Spurrier to Miami? Sign me up for that!

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-20-2006, 10:48 AM
wow, i hope if you guys get spurrier, this gives both schools more than enough reason to schedule each other again. wow, that'd be sooo good! so much history with UF/Miami already, and this?? geez....go get em guys! :D

Timmy54
11-20-2006, 12:43 PM
No spurier for UM! he is trying to do what all the experts say is impossible, win an SEC title at South Carolina. He just might do it. His name is bringing in alot of recruits and he does know how to coach.

tampafinfan9201
11-21-2006, 06:32 PM
i like the idea of Spurrier comin to Miami. but right now lets just finish gettin rid of Larry Coker.

FinsNYanksFan13
11-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Personally, I think Schiano gets the job if Coker is fired but that's just me!