PDA

View Full Version : Woman kicked off plane for breast-feeding baby

BAMAPHIN 22
11-16-2006, 11:39 PM
A woman who claims she was kicked off an airplane because she was breast-feeding her baby has filed a complaint against two airlines, her attorney said.

Emily Gillette, 27, of Santa Fe, N.M., filed the complaint with the Vermont Human Rights Commission late last week against Delta Air Lines and Freedom Airlines, said her attorney, Elizabeth Boepple. Freedom was operating the Delta flight between Burlington and New York City.

Gillette said she was discreetly breast-feeding her 22-month-old daughter on Oct. 13 as their flight prepared to leave Burlington International Airport. She said she was seated by the window in the next-to-last row, her husband was seated between her and the aisle and no part of her breast was showing.

A flight attendant tried to hand her a blanket and told her to cover up, Gillette said. She declined, telling the flight attendant she had a legal right to breast-feed her baby.

Moments later, a Delta ticket agent approached and said the flight attendant had asked that the family be removed from the flight, Gillette said. She said she didn’t want to make a scene and complied.

“It embarrassed me. That was my first reaction, which is a weird reaction for doing something so good for a child,” Gillette said Monday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15720339/

Mindwarp
11-16-2006, 11:45 PM
bull****... she should be allowed to breastfeed her child just fine.
Trust me mothers are pros at this and im more turn off by watching some 300lbs mofo scraf down his food while chewing with his mouth open then noticing a 22 month old baby getting his/her food.

people neeed to grow the **** up and relize its nature!

Filed a compliant? my *** I would sue the ****ers for making me miss my flight and embarassing me infront of everyone like that.

in case you havent noticed. I am pro breast feeding! lol

PrepDogg
11-16-2006, 11:51 PM
Trust me mothers are pros at this and im more turn off by watching some 300lbs mofo scraf down his food while chewing with his mouth open then noticing a 22 month old baby getting his/her food.

Filed a compliant? my *** I would sue the ****ers for making me miss my flight and embarassing me infront of everyone like that.

:yeahthat:

WeVie
11-17-2006, 12:14 AM
She would so win a lawsuit if she filed one because there are no laws preventing breast feeding in public. In fact, there are laws in a lot of states that protect the right to breast feed.

My wife breast feeds. It's funny because the docs push it and say it is best for the baby but society seems to frown on it for some reason. Sometimes when we were out in public people would look at her funny. It's not like there boob is falling out or anything like that. If fact you can see more boob from a woman wearing a low cut shirt than you can from someone breast feeding.

Mindwarp
11-17-2006, 12:20 AM
She would so win a lawsuit if she filed one because there are no laws preventing breast feeding in public. In fact, there are laws in a lot of states that protect the right to breast feed.

My wife breast feeds. It's funny because the docs push it and say it is best for the baby but society seems to frown on it for some reason. Sometimes when we were out in public people would look at her funny. It's not like there boob is falling out or anything like that. If fact you can see more boob from a woman wearing a low cut shirt than you can from someone breast feeding.

:hi5:

like I said they are pros at covering up with just the baby

FinaciousOne
11-17-2006, 12:32 AM
I remember one time when I was in school and one of the kids asked if he could eat some treat he had brought from home, the teacher said, "No. You can't eat that in front of the other kids if you didn't bring enough for everyone..............."

finattic79
11-17-2006, 06:50 AM
My wife breastfeed out first kid, and is doing so with our daugther. I know I would raise all hell if anyone asked this of my wife. First she legally is allowed to, and secondly I know our first respone would be how would you like to eat you dinner under a blanket or eat in the bathroom which is often another request made of breast feeding mothers.

gillderais
11-17-2006, 07:06 AM
Why would anyone be offended by something that is so natural? IMO a breastfeeding baby is not really much different then someone eating in a resturant, they are both having their meal in public. Big deal....people need to stop being such prudes.

cnc66
11-17-2006, 07:25 AM
isn't 22 months a rather long time to breast feed?...it's been so long since that was "our" issue, I cannot remember...

Mindwarp
11-17-2006, 09:08 AM
isn't 22 months a rather long time to breast feed?...it's been so long since that was "our" issue, I cannot remember...

not really..
There are people who feed kids well into 2yrs.. and not just there sole method of eating, but still an important part of there development.

My son is 22 months now and he still breatsfeeds at night before he goes to sleep.

SkapePhin
11-17-2006, 09:11 AM
America...

Puritanism still alive and well...

Stitches
11-17-2006, 09:23 AM
isn't 22 months a rather long time to breast feed?

I thought the same thing. I would think you'd easily be on to sippy cups by then.

screamer
11-17-2006, 09:32 AM
my thinking too. 22months. What do I know though. After all i'm 41 and i'm always trying to.... LOL!

Timmy54
11-17-2006, 10:31 AM

right on. it is not like you ever get a free nip slip anyway. and so what if you did.

retired opfinistic
11-17-2006, 10:34 AM
i'm pro breast-feeding, but I get slapped a lot!:(

Timmy54
11-17-2006, 10:52 AM
i pro-topless women but only if they are at least above a 6

finswin56
11-17-2006, 11:22 AM
This thread is useless w/o pics :wink:

Seriously, how sad is this? Pathetic.

BTW, did anyone see The Office last night? The new woman pumping at her desk, and the older guy taking a pic and using it on his desktop :sidelol:
</IMG></IMG>

retired opfinistic
11-17-2006, 12:30 PM
This thread is useless w/o pics :wink:
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

NJFINSFAN1
11-17-2006, 12:33 PM

Yes, but my though is she is one of those women that just let it all hang out instead of being discreet.

Just the fact that the attendent tried to give her a blanket makes me think he story is a little off.

Noodle Arm
11-17-2006, 12:46 PM
I think I know why she was kicked off....here's a pic of the baby...

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

NJFINSFAN1
11-17-2006, 12:49 PM
I think I know why she was kicked off....here's a pic of the baby...

http://www.crushkill.com/files/babyman.jpg

WADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

cnc66
11-18-2006, 12:57 PM
I saw that the flight attendent will be disciplined and that there were protesters at the airlines couter today..

Mike13
11-18-2006, 03:40 PM
There are people who feed kids well into 2yrs.. and not just there sole method of eating, but still an important part of there development.

My son is 22 months now and he still breatsfeeds at night before he goes to sleep.

Really? I've never heard of breast feeding kids for that long.

Whats so offensive about breast feeding?

Miamian
11-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Doesn't this remind anyone of Married with Children?

1-2-3-4! We will breast feed in your store!

Roman529
11-18-2006, 04:43 PM
She should sue the crap out of them.

finfan01
11-18-2006, 04:44 PM
She should sue the crap out of them.

She can and she probably will

finattic79
11-19-2006, 05:26 PM
I saw that the flight attendent will be disciplined and that there were protesters at the airlines couter today..

There doing one here in San Antonio on Tuesday, my wife was thinking about going. There was also an incident at a movie theater here in SA also, where a women as asked to go feed her kid in the bathroom.

Sethdaddy8
11-19-2006, 09:03 PM
22 months is a tad old. I mean, on a flight from Vermont to NYC, the kid HAD to eat? Whats that a 14 minute flight? I think she was looking for attention, probably like she's still breast feeding to keep the pounds off. I think breast feeding a kid who can pretty much walk and talk is doing more harm than good.

Mindwarp
11-20-2006, 12:01 AM
Yes, but my though is she is one of those women that just let it all hang out instead of being discreet.

Just the fact that the attendent tried to give her a blanket makes me think he story is a little off.

BS. and this is really close to getting moved to the pofo forum with the way I might answer this.

I am willing to be the flight attended is/was one of thouse ultra conservative thinking people who right away thought.. oh noes she might slip out let me throw a blanket and cover her now!

now your a parent so you should also know any kid older then 6 months will not leave a blanket on them, and more so will pull off to push the blanket off and exposing the woman more.

also lets think here for a moment for thouse of you asking is 22 months to old? who are you to say when the parent/child decideds when to call it quits. the world wide avrage age for calling it quits is 3yrs old. Unfortunally America is this ultra sensative place where people freak out at the first THOUGHT of nudity.

you see more skin on the streets everyday then you see from breastfeeding.

Stitches
11-20-2006, 01:16 AM
BS. and this is really close to getting moved to the pofo forum with the way I might answer this.

I am willing to be the flight attended is/was one of thouse ultra conservative thinking people who right away thought.. oh noes she might slip out let me throw a blanket and cover her now!

now your a parent so you should also know any kid older then 6 months will not leave a blanket on them, and more so will pull off to push the blanket off and exposing the woman more.

also lets think here for a moment for thouse of you asking is 22 months to old? who are you to say when the parent/child decideds when to call it quits. the world wide avrage age for calling it quits is 3yrs old. Unfortunally America is this ultra sensative place where people freak out at the first THOUGHT of nudity.

you see more skin on the streets everyday then you see from breastfeeding.

I'm not going to say you're wrong, but I did a lot of researching when this story got posted on here, because I thought 22 months was a bit old to still be breast feeding. I found, that 3 months was a perfectly normal age to stop, and that many stop no later than 9 months. Even a year, fine. But at 6 months, many children are fully capable of eating solid finger foods on thier own. They can drink from a sippy cup with no trouble easily by 1 year. At 22 months the child is pretty developed. By that I mean, you can walk on your own, lift yourself off the ground, climb, majority can talk, many are potty trained(or training). I know that the mother can decide when to wean and all, but there are alternatives to breastfeeding on a plane(heck, if she knew she was breastfeeding, she could have used a pump and made a bottle for just such an occassion). I'm sure it wouldn't have been unreasonable to ask the stewardess for milk. And I know they have different amounts of vitamins and such, but a 22 month old shouldn't be dependent on breats milk in the least for thier nutrients. I don't even have a problem with breastfeeding because of nudity or the potential of it. Breastfeeding is bonding time for a mother and child, in fact that is why many continue breastfeeding longer than they have to. It is because of that, that I view it as personal, and something that should be done in a discreet manner.