PDA

View Full Version : AVG-Computer Question

UCFinfan86
11-17-2006, 12:23 AM
My norton virus scanner that came with my new computer's free trial ran out so i decided to DL AVG around mondayish, ever since my computer runs SOOO much slower, now im not 100% sure its AVG, because on sunday i had some virus with limewire that caused limewire to open every 5 seconds no matter what, so i got rid of Limewire and DLed AVG.

My question is does anyone have an history with AVG greatly slowing down their computer?

MNFINFAN
11-17-2006, 12:36 AM
Did you unistall the NAV? Are you sure that the NAV that expired is not still trying to do something in the background and conflicting with the AVG? I have AVG running on a couple of PCs here and have no issues. Have you tried looking at what processes are running on your PC and what is using the most CPU or memory?

byroan
11-17-2006, 12:37 AM
AVG shouldn't slow your computer down to the point where it's noticeable unless it's running a scan.

UCFinfan86
11-17-2006, 01:09 AM
Did you unistall the NAV? Are you sure that the NAV that expired is not still trying to do something in the background and conflicting with the AVG? I have AVG running on a couple of PCs here and have no issues. Have you tried looking at what processes are running on your PC and what is using the most CPU or memory?

yes NVA is off completely. And actually its not ALL the time, but id say 75% of the time it runs slow, and its ALWAYS after my computer has been sitting for like 20+ minutes and i get back on it, its takes atleast 2 or so minutes to get going where i can even get to a webpage. I have a nice laptop too, i dont have a ****ty one.

Now i know a little bit about computers, not alot, but where would i check at what is processing my PC and what is using the most memory? just by goign to properties? if so what should i be lookign for?

NaboCane
11-17-2006, 01:35 AM
My norton virus scanner that came with my new computer's free trial ran out so i decided to DL AVG around mondayish, ever since my computer runs SOOO much slower, now im not 100% sure its AVG, because on sunday i had some virus with limewire that caused limewire to open every 5 seconds no matter what, so i got rid of Limewire and DLed AVG.

My question is does anyone have an history with AVG greatly slowing down their computer?
Not with it slowing down the computer, but AVG recently let a trojan onto mine, named "dropper."

Try this, Byroan recommended it for me and it works great...you might have spyware that's slowing your computer down.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Alex44
11-17-2006, 01:36 AM
I hate AVG it missed everything I had

Personally I prefer PandaScan or whatever its called.