PDA

View Full Version : Parents Call Police When School Takes Their Child's Cell Phone

BAMAPHIN 22
11-17-2006, 11:25 PM
Parents in Oklahoma have filed charges against school officials who took their child's cell phone (http://www.srch-results.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=77&k=cell%20phone).

When the phone rang during class, a teacher at Lone Grove High School in Lone Grove, Oklahoma, confiscated the phone and took it to the principal's office.

Now, the parents say the teen needs the phone, in case of an emergency, and has filed charges with police, claiming the school committed larceny on their child.

According to KTEN, Yvonne Walker says when school officials said that they couldn't break policy or make special considerations for anyone, the parents called police. The officer sent to the scene filed a report, which is now at the district attorney's office for consideration of larceny charges.

Walker says, "I understand that they need to discipline the kids and he was wrong, and he understands that he was wrong and he should be disciplined at home, and we will do that."

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2006/11/17/parents-call-police-when-school-takes-their-childs-cell-phone/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wayodd.com%2Fparents-call-police-when-school-takes-their-childs-cell-phone%2Fv%2F5776%2F&frame=true

Slappy8800
11-17-2006, 11:28 PM
what emergency warrants a cell phone in school?

SkapePhin
11-17-2006, 11:32 PM
And we wonder why the education system is a joke..

Who wants to teach when this crap goes on? How can you take control of a classroom if you have to worry about ******* parents suing you.

NaboCane
11-17-2006, 11:54 PM
A better way to handle it would have been to suspend the kid. That way no property is confiscated, but the point of the rule is still being made.

finfan01
11-17-2006, 11:56 PM
American society confuses me:rolleyes:

spydertl79
11-17-2006, 11:59 PM
I actually understand where the parents are coming from here. The school should have confiscated the phone until the end of the school day and then given it back. If this became a problem again then the school should punish the kid without taking his property.

MNFINFAN
11-18-2006, 12:05 AM
Me too mate, I am not sure what the **** is up with parents these days. They are letting their kids walk all over them and turning them into spoiled brats sho expect everything to be given to them.

School is a place to learn, it has rules to follow and when you break them you suffer the consequence.

Nabo, I really don't agree with you, teachers have been confiscating students' items forever, hell my dad busted different kids daily at my high school, still does to this day too. Suspending him would have gone on his record and that would be worse for him over the long term.

A kid brings something to school and it is not allowed then it gets confiscated and returned at somepoint either that day or at the end of the term.

The school did the right thing here and the DA should drop it before it is a complete waste of effing taxpayers money.

MNFINFAN
11-18-2006, 12:08 AM
I actually understand where the parents are coming from here. The school should have confiscated the phone until the end of the school day and then given it back. If this became a problem again then the school should punish the kid without taking his property.
It never says that they didn't give it back, just that he is not allowed it in school. As the school wouldn't make an exception they filed charges against the school for taking it from him. ****ing losers.

finswin56
11-18-2006, 01:35 AM
It never says that they didn't give it back, just that he is not allowed it in school. As the school wouldn't make an exception they filed charges against the school for taking it from him. ****ing losers.I'm with you man. Everyone's kid need exceptions these days. Rules are becoming pointless... don't get me started on accountability.

spydertl79
11-18-2006, 02:20 AM
It never says that they didn't give it back, just that he is not allowed it in school. As the school wouldn't make an exception they filed charges against the school for taking it from him. ****ing losers.
The article doesnt make it clear. If they gave it back and told him he cant have it at school then I disagree with the parents and I read it wrong but going over the article again I can't tell.

MNFINFAN
11-18-2006, 10:31 AM
The article doesnt make it clear. If they gave it back and told him he cant have it at school then I disagree with the parents and I read it wrong but going over the article again I can't tell.
That is very true, it doesn't say one way or the other. I just lean towards to the school as nowadays I find personal responsibility and respect for rules are nowhere to be found.

Mike13
11-18-2006, 11:04 AM
The emergency could be that the parents are unable to pick the kid up from school, thats my guess, but kids need to learn some responsibility and they need to learn that mom and dad aren't going to be able to do everything for them, spoiled little brats.