PDA

View Full Version : Question for Webmaster

fairbanksb
05-15-2003, 02:59 PM
Please explain the rules or rationale for not allowing complete articles to be posted. I do understand the rationale if the article is from a fee based site, like NFL Insider or SportingNews, but why if the article is from a public site?

DrAstroZoom
05-15-2003, 03:02 PM
Fairbanks ... I'm not a mod, but you have to be real careful with reprinting articles ... copyright infringements are involved ... (oh Lord ... look at the dots ... I'm turning into DCH! :))

Anyway, just as you can't reprint articles from print magazines or newspapers, the same laws hold true in cyberspace.

VanDolPhan
05-15-2003, 03:37 PM
Legal issues. If your caught with copyrighted material all they have to do is go to a court and get an injunction and that will force the host to shut down the site. Seen it happen many a time with various sites.

sugarcane
05-15-2003, 03:42 PM
Wow,I'm in trouble..........:)

FinHeavenAJ
05-15-2003, 03:45 PM
Yea... what they said... thanks guys :lol:

But seriously, I was just reading the Trademark and Registration website today as I was looking at the fees... anyways, it is a serious violation if a website is found reprinting articles from another website.

Here is my point of view, monetary wise anyways. I own a website with commentary, people come for our commentary. Every time a visitor comes to this site to read an article, I get revenue from advertisements and etc. If another website is also displaying that article, without my approval, then I am losing visitors and revenue. Granted, it's not a whole lot... but it adds up, especially if it's ESPN, CBS, etc....

But, besides the monetary loss, it's just plain illegal...

sugarcane
05-15-2003, 03:49 PM
AJ,I have a question dear..........;)

FinHeavenAJ
05-15-2003, 03:52 PM
Yess... sugar? :cool:

Nice to see you around... you haven't been around for a while :(

fairbanksb
05-15-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by FinHeavenAJ
Yea... what they said... thanks guys :lol:

But seriously, I was just reading the Trademark and Registration website today as I was looking at the fees... anyways, it is a serious violation if a website is found reprinting articles from another website.

Here is my point of view, monetary wise anyways. I own a website with commentary, people come for our commentary. Every time a visitor comes to this site to read an article, I get revenue from advertisements and etc. If another website is also displaying that article, without my approval, then I am losing visitors and revenue. Granted, it's not a whole lot... but it adds up, especially if it's ESPN, CBS, etc....

But, besides the monetary loss, it's just plain illegal...

Okay, I think. If this is the case, which I have no reason to believe it isn't, I think you should ask for revenues from those sites, every time we steer people to those sites to read an article. Yeah, that's it!!!!!!

sugarcane
05-15-2003, 03:56 PM
I know,I have been busy and some stuff happened and it's a long story......but I am gald to be back around and our offseason moves make me excited for the upcoming season.........we got Junior.......too cool...........OK,I kinda borrowed Dolfanmikes user pic........well I pm'd him to ask and he never replied...........2 times I did that.So barring the world coming to an end I feel I should just get it out so I don't feel guilty.......LOL.............that's all.......I feel better now and if Mike wants to hunt me down and kill me my address is.............NOT.......thanks............:)

sugarcane
05-15-2003, 04:10 PM
Oh oh......first Mike,now AJ......the copyright police are probably on my front porch.............:)

DrAstroZoom
05-15-2003, 04:14 PM
Fairbanks, look at it this way ... if I tell you the NY Times has a great review of "The Matrix Unloaded" and you read it, the Times isn't going to cut me a check.

fairbanksb
05-15-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
Fairbanks, look at it this way ... if I tell you the NY Times has a great review of "The Matrix Unloaded" and you read it, the Times isn't going to cut me a check.

You're darn right they wouldn't. I wouldn't read anything out of the NY Times even if YOU paid ME to read it.
It was a joke, but seems only fair.

DrAstroZoom
05-15-2003, 04:23 PM
Y'know ... I've typically been a fan of the Times ... good writing. But this new reporter scandal has really shaken my faith.

And yes mods ... we are officially WAY off topic.

fairbanksb
05-15-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
Y'know ... I've typically been a fan of the Times ... good writing. But this new reporter scandal has really shaken my faith.

And yes mods ... we are officially WAY off topic.

I got my answer. Copyright material. Post links not articles. I don't want to get anyone shut down. Thanx to all who responded.

T-ROCK
05-15-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by fairbanksb
Please explain the rules or rationale for not allowing complete articles to be posted. I do understand the rationale if the article is from a fee based site, like NFL Insider or SportingNews, but why if the article is from a public site?

Dunno how Admin feels about it, but I'd rather go to a link so I can save it, if I choose to... Plus, with a link the entire article is there, not just the portion someone chooses to copy and past...

Fresh
05-15-2003, 04:46 PM
One example could be KFFL. When you post a article, you must have a link to the site where the article came from to credit them. Would that work?

BigBoy
05-15-2003, 04:51 PM
That's what I did.

DrAstroZoom
05-15-2003, 04:53 PM
Nope. Becuase although you're giving credit, you're "reprinting or rebroadcasting with the express written permission of" the source.

BigBoy
05-15-2003, 04:57 PM
bee ess

DrAstroZoom
05-15-2003, 05:03 PM
Sorry ... I didn't write the copyright laws.

FinHeavenAJ
05-15-2003, 05:31 PM
That's true... but now most sites don't mind entirely. It's what I like to call "common knowledge." If the Sun-Sentinel posts news, like the signing of Sammy Knight, I take that news and say "According to the Sun-Sentinel...." and that works. I really don't have to get the permission of the Sun-Sentinel, because I could go to the Miami Herald, ESPN, CBS, GoPBI... almost anywhere to find that news. However, if it's commentary... then it's an entirely different issue.

The format that I currently have it setup on the main page (www.finheaven.com) works well. I've received WAY too many emails from the Sun-Sentinel and the Dolphins organization, so if they didn't like something, they would have informed me by now...

DrAstroZoom
05-15-2003, 05:32 PM
Groovy and good to know, AJ.