PDA

View Full Version : Troy Smith was Montana-esque.

PHANTASTIC 13
11-20-2006, 01:46 AM
Check out this article from Jay Glazer who covers the NFL, he went to Columbus to cover the big game. It was his first experience covering a college game and he was extremely impressed.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6187984
It's a good read! :D

HysterikiLL
11-20-2006, 02:16 AM
I think Troy Smith will make it in the NFL. His arm is incredible -- reminds me so much of Culpepper sometimes, and then he rolls out and reminds me of McNabb. I think he'll end up a 1st round pick.

PHANTASTIC 13
11-20-2006, 02:22 AM
I think when Jay Glazer said that Troy Smith was Montana-esque... he meant that he was cool under pressure and played at his best in big games ala Joe Montana.
Whatever team drafts him is getting a steal and it is possible that he could fall to Miami when they pick. :dolphins:

LtDan
11-20-2006, 02:36 AM
Cool article!!

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-20-2006, 04:04 AM
i don't see how he can't do very well in the NFL.

finswin56
11-20-2006, 11:43 AM
i don't see how he can't do very well in the NFL.Because he's only 5'11" :rolleyes:

OSUDauby
11-20-2006, 11:54 AM
I think when Jay Glazer said that Troy Smith was Montana-esque... he meant that he was cool under pressure and played at his best in big games ala Joe Montana.
Whatever team drafts him is getting a steal and it is possible that he could fall to Miami when they pick. :dolphins:
"If Troy Smith goes to Miami I will have a sexual explosion in my pants!"
~Borat

I had to use the edit option to add this...That article was great! Anyone who has never been to an Ohio State/Michigan game needs to do so before their deaths. What an experience that guy must have had!

Timmy54
11-20-2006, 12:34 PM
ok, you guys keep praising troy but he had a horrible second half. he disappeared for alot of the 2nd half and Michigan wins that game if not for the personal foul on 3rd and a ton. come on, troy won that game in the first and held on at the end. he will win the heisman, but we have seen how that works out for alot of players in the NFL. Eric Crouch anyone??

OSUDauby
11-20-2006, 12:49 PM
What are you talking about?!? He hit 8 different WR's and 4 for TD's. One of which put the game out of Michigan's hands. The score of the game was much closer than what really happened on the field.

Never was Ohio State not in control of the game, sure they gave up a TD on the first drive, BUT Troy Smith picked UM apart for a score and never looked back.

This ENTIRE season, Ohio State has trailed opponets for 16 minutes. That 16 mintues out of 720 that Ohio State trailed.

Troy Smith controlled the entire game, aside from him being non-existant according to you.

Timmy54
11-20-2006, 03:18 PM
take off the rose colored glasses. troy was garbage in the second half. two fumbled snaps (ok both of those on the center) a pick, and didnt move the ball at all till after the late penalty. He is the best college player no doubt, but he was not montana, he was not mr. cool, he has his weaknesses and will not be great in the nfl.

HysterikiLL
11-20-2006, 03:48 PM
Because he's only 5'11" :rolleyes:

He's a good 6'0'', and IMO that's not going to ruin his career. In his favor, he's built like a tank, so it's not like he's a little midget who's going to get circus-showed every game.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-20-2006, 03:51 PM
take off the rose colored glasses. troy was garbage in the second half. two fumbled snaps (ok both of those on the center) a pick, and didnt move the ball at all till after the late penalty. He is the best college player no doubt, but he was not montana, he was not mr. cool, he has his weaknesses and will not be great in the nfl.
take off your "jump to conclusions"-colored glasses.

LtDan
11-20-2006, 03:53 PM
ok, you guys keep praising troy but he had a horrible second half. he disappeared for alot of the 2nd half and Michigan wins that game if not for the personal foul on 3rd and a ton. come on, troy won that game in the first and held on at the end. he will win the heisman, but we have seen how that works out for alot of players in the NFL. Eric Crouch anyone??Eric Crouch!! Get serious!! Nice comparison!! He was a freaking triple option QB :down:

Ronnie Bass
11-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Someone on another board tried to tell me he's another Andre Ware, does anyone else see that?

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-20-2006, 04:03 PM
he's a more mobile drew brees. the andre ware comparions are dumb...

finswin56
11-20-2006, 04:29 PM
He's a good 6'0'', and IMO that's not going to ruin his career. In his favor, he's built like a tank, so it's not like he's a little midget who's going to get circus-showed every game.That's why I put the sarcastic smilie... I've also seen him listed as 5'11"

PrepDogg
11-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Hey, Easy with the Montana analogies. Smith was good but there's only one Montana my friend. :cooldude:

OSUDauby
11-20-2006, 04:49 PM

You're right, the fumbles were the center's fault. The interception was a tipped ball as well. Whose fault it was is questionable. Did the WR tweak the route? Bad throw? And the penalty was legit. It was a helmet-tohelmet violation. What was a joke was the drive that "roughing the center" was called on that Michigan eventualy score on. What a joke. Also, the blown facemask on Ted Ginn.

So, don't talk about bad calls...
Troy Smith owned Michigan for the 3rd time and is the Heisman. End of Story.
And, I'm not taking off the glasses either...I'll need them in Glendale.:cooldude:

finswin56
11-20-2006, 05:18 PM
You're right, the fumbles were the center's fault. The interception was a tipped ball as well. Whose fault it was is questionable. Did the WR tweak the route? Bad throw? And the penalty was legit. It was a helmet-tohelmet violation. What was a joke was the drive that "roughing the center" was called on that Michigan eventualy score on. What a joke. Also, the blown facemask on Ted Ginn.

And, I'm not taking off the glasses either...I'll need them in Glendale.:cooldude::confused: Who said anything about bad calls?

OSUDauby
11-20-2006, 05:33 PM
:confused: Who said anything about bad calls?

Someone on here earlier said that the call on Troy Smith was crap. Because the refs said it was a "late hit" rather than saying "helmet-to-helmet."
And I mentioned the 15 yrd face mask that was missed when Ted Ginn fielded the punt. As well as the "roughing the center" call. That is a joke. I know you can't hit the center when his head is down, but if that is the case, why would the center raise his head?

DBoston80
11-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Someone on here earlier said that the call on Troy Smith was crap. Because the refs said it was a "late hit" rather than saying "helmet-to-helmet."
And I mentioned the 15 yrd face mask that was missed when Ted Ginn fielded the punt. As well as the "roughing the center" call. That is a joke. I know you can't hit the center when his head is down, but if that is the case, why would the center raise his head?

..hmmm kinda reminds me of the crying over the difference between a pass interferance and a defensive holding....

People a penalty is a penalty if it happens what the ref says is irrelevant they fouled the qb!! LAte hit helmet to helmet it was the same personal foul.

Timmy54
11-20-2006, 05:40 PM

And, I'm not taking off the glasses either...I'll need them in Glendale.:cooldude:

that roughing the center is something they are taught from day one as a freshman, do not hit the longsnapper till his head comes up. it is like a late hit, they will call it everytime.

the penalty was legit, but till that point in the second half it look like troy was flustered. Maybe the hit knocked him back into playing mode, i dont know.

yes he won the heisman, and is the best player in college, but he was not montanaesque.

good luck in glendale, too bad there will still be an arguement if USC and UF both run the table as to who you should really face.

Timmy54
11-20-2006, 05:41 PM
..hmmm kinda reminds me of the crying over the difference between a pass interferance and a defensive holding....

People a penalty is a penalty if it happens what the ref says is irrelevant they fouled the qb!! LAte hit helmet to helmet it was the same personal foul.

it was not a crap call, it was a bone head play, that lb doesnt do the stupid helmet hit on troy smith, it is Michigans ball and a whole different ball game.

finswin56
11-20-2006, 05:43 PM
And I mentioned the 15 yrd face mask that was missed when Ted Ginn fielded the punt. As well as the "roughing the center" call. That is a joke. I know you can't hit the center when his head is down, but if that is the case, why would the center raise his head?Okay, I guess I missed that post. The call was right, just as the center call was correct. That's the rule.
I don't remember the Ginn call, but the officiating did not get in the way of this game by any means.

Here's why there shouldn't be a rematch.
Michigan won the turnover battle by 3, and still lost.
That's enough proof to me why they aren't good enough.

OSUDauby
11-20-2006, 05:44 PM
good luck in glendale, too bad there will still be an arguement if USC and UF both run the table as to who you should really face.

Dude, at this point I could care less about USC, UF, UM...or anyone! I don't care who we play. All I know is that Ohio State deserves to be in the NC game. Everyone else can argue about who we should play. All I care about during that game is a win. Period. All the other team's fans can whine. The fact is if UF, USC, ND, Um or any other team wanted to be there, they should have won the games on their schedule.

Tommy Tuberville can cry all he wants at Auburn. WIN AND YOU'RE IN.

DBoston80
11-20-2006, 05:47 PM
it was not a crap call, it was a bone head play, that lb doesnt do the stupid helmet hit on troy smith, it is Michigans ball and a whole different ball game.

yea I mean ANY game could be filled with "what ifs".......

I would call his performance..Vince Young esc...just a better passer:D

Vertical Limit
11-21-2006, 03:32 PM
I think Troy Smith will make it in the NFL. His arm is incredible -- reminds me so much of Culpepper sometimes, and then he rolls out and reminds me of McNabb. I think he'll end up a 1st round pick.
He reminds me more of McNabb than Culpepper. Troy Smith learned to be a pocket passer, like a McNabb.

PHANTASTIC 13
11-22-2006, 01:35 AM
Dude, at this point I could care less about USC, UF, UM...or anyone! I don't care who we play. All I know is that Ohio State deserves to be in the NC game. Everyone else can argue about who we should play. All I care about during that game is a win. Period. All the other team's fans can whine. The fact is if UF, USC, ND, Um or any other team wanted to be there, they should have won the games on their schedule.

Tommy Tuberville can cry all he wants at Auburn. WIN AND YOU'RE IN.
It doesn't really matter who Ohio State's next victim will be....fill in the blank and watch Ohio State Buckeyes roll over them like a steam roller. If you give Jim Tressel more than a month to prepare for his next opponent...all I can say is I pity that team. :D :cooldude:

spydertl79
11-24-2006, 01:57 AM
Smith reminds me of Drew Brees