PDA

View Full Version : Film director Robert Altman dies

NaboCane
11-21-2006, 12:34 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061121/ap_on_en_mo/obit_altman_2

LOS ANGELES - Film director Robert Altman (http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?p=Robert+Altman) has died at a Los Angeles hospital, according to a spokesman for his production company.

NaboCane
11-21-2006, 12:36 PM
No details yet, but I'll keep watching for them.

NaboCane
11-21-2006, 01:08 PM
LOS ANGELES - Robert Altman (http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?p=Robert+Altman), the caustic and irreverent satirist behind "M-A-S-H," "Nashville" and "The Player" who made a career out of bucking Hollywood management and story conventions, died at a Los Angeles Hospital, his Sandcastle 5 Productions Company said Tuesday. He was 81.

The director died Monday night, Joshua Astrachan, a producer at Altman's Sandcastle 5 Productions in New York City, told The Associated Press.

The cause of death wasn't disclosed. A news release was expected later in the day, Astrachan said...

HysterikiLL
11-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Wow, that's really sad. I was never a hge fan of Altman's films, but he brought a lot of happiness to a lot of people with his films. RIP.

Quelonio
11-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Oh man... now that is sad. This man was a character it is said that when filming Warren Beaty in McCabe and Mrs Miller, they got into a huge ego fight because Altman was a bit to careless for Beaty's taste (Beaty wanted him to make take after take, Altman was more for just making a couple of takes and that was that) so after one time that Beaty forced him to make 50 takes of one shot, Altman decided to become more carefull in a scene in which Beaty was covered to his neck in snow, making them repeat the scene about 75 times, so for a full day Altman had Beatty covered in snow.

That is not to add the amount of times he directed films while being piss *** drunk (MASH is a good example of that).

The man was a genius, and the filmic world is going to really miss him.

NaboCane
11-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Wow, that's really sad. I was never a hge fan of Altman's films, but he brought a lot of happiness to a lot of people with his films. RIP.

Ditto; I was not a fan, although some of his work was clearly inspired.

BigDogsHunt
11-21-2006, 04:29 PM
The Player is one of the better movies ever made but so under appreciated outside of the hollywood actors world. Amazing cast and so many more begged to be included in it.

"The film, loaded with movie references and Hollywood insider jokes, is a critique of the Hollywood movie business, which treats artists poorly and sacrifices quality for commercial success. It might seem surprising that so many big Hollywood names agreed to play themselves in the film."

MoFinz
11-21-2006, 04:50 PM
I loved M*A*S*H, it was brillantly funny.

RIP

PHINATIC13
11-21-2006, 05:15 PM
I liked a few a his movies,MASH and Popeye to name a couple.I've heard "them" say that an Altman "shoot"(Filming) can be interesting to say the least.

RIP

Quelonio
11-21-2006, 05:27 PM
Ditto; I was not a fan, although some of his work was clearly inspired.

I asked ya in the foreign film thread (in which you all have abandoned me :boohoo: ) have you seen Volver?