PDA

View Full Version : Justin Morneau AL MVP

NJFINSFAN1
11-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Just announced on ESPN radio

BigDogsHunt
11-21-2006, 03:10 PM
:shakeno: dont get that at all.......

Morneau received 15 first-place votes, eight seconds, three thirds and two fourths for 320 points in voting by a panel of the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

Jeter got 12 firsts, 14 seconds, one fourth and one sixth for 306 points.

Boston's David Ortiz was third with 193 points, followed by Oakland's Frank Thomas (174), Chicago's Jermaine Dye (156), Minnesota's Joe Mauer (116) and Twins pitcher Johan Santana (114), who received the other first-place vote.

Roman529
11-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Jeter got cheated. :eek:

Motion
11-21-2006, 03:19 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

NJFINSFAN1
11-21-2006, 03:19 PM
I don't really have a problem with it.

Motion
11-21-2006, 03:23 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Phinz4Life
11-21-2006, 03:27 PM
terrible.

NJFINSFAN1
11-21-2006, 03:28 PM
I would have voted for Mauer or Santana, But Jeter would not have been that high on my list.

Mauer being a catcher and doing what he did was outstanding.

ChambersWI
11-21-2006, 03:36 PM
no problem with this; especially since A)Morneau led the majors in every major offensive catagory from June on and B)outside of average, had better numbers than Jeter.

GreenMonster
11-21-2006, 03:38 PM
Kinda shocked Jeter didn't win but at the same time thought Morneau deserved it more.. He carried the Twins offense, Jeter was a great player on a great team..

Nappy Roots
11-21-2006, 03:40 PM
no problem with this; especially since A)Morneau led the majors in every major offensive catagory from June on and B)outside of average, had better numbers than Jeter.

Jeters EqA was 9 points higher.

which adds every offensive statistic into it, including stolen bases, caught steals, etc.

ChambersWI
11-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Jeters EqA was 9 points higher.

which adds every offensive statistic into it, including stolen bases, caught steals, etc.

still, a man in the middle of the order will get the vote before a number 2 hitter. Morneau definatly deserved to be named mvp.

BigDogsHunt
11-21-2006, 03:47 PM
still, a man in the middle of the order will get the vote before a number 2 hitter. Morneau definatly deserved to be named mvp.

My biggest problem is that on the Twins alone, Morneau is not their MVP. Santana/Mauer would be the two you point too, before Morneau.

Plus Frank Thomas finished 4th?????

Dye only 5th????

Mauer 6th???

Just a crazy vote to me.

Nappy Roots
11-21-2006, 03:52 PM

how did he deserve?

Jeter overall produced more runs then Morneau. and with all factors equaling, had better offensive #s. not to mention winning the gold glove at maybe the most important defensive position on the field.(although i know the gold glove is a joke really).

so what do you want jeter to do better in? better offensively, defensively, a great leader, and extremely clutch(more so than Morneau).

i personally think jeter should of won it easily.

Ray Finkle
11-21-2006, 04:16 PM
My biggest problem is that on the Twins alone, Morneau is not their MVP. Santana/Mauer would be the two you point too, before Morneau.

Good point but last year when Arod won his MVP award, he wasn't even the MVP of the Yankees either, Mo was.

I'm shocked that Morneau won it though, especially over the bigger name in Jeter.

tylerdolphin
11-21-2006, 04:31 PM
How did Jeter get a sixth place vote?

BigDogsHunt
11-21-2006, 04:46 PM

Voter from Boston or Minny is my quess. :lol:

NJFINSFAN1
11-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Voter from Boston or Minny is my quess. :lol:

A-Rod, don't winners get to vote??????:lol:

AggieFin21
11-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Yeah, Jeter got a 4th and 6th place vote. Wonder what two cities those came from. I'd love to hear the justification on those votes....

BigDogsHunt
11-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Good point but last year when Arod won his MVP award, he wasn't even the MVP of the Yankees either, Mo was.

Sure, that was pointed out, the problem is no Arm (SP or RP) should win MVP. Thats what Cy Young and Relief Man awards are for.

So while you could argue on the Yanks two seasons ago, Mo had a bigger team impact than Arod, Arod was the hitting/defensive MVP of the league.

This year, Mauer was that guy over Morneau...and Santana like Mo probably is the MVP of the Twins, just cant figure out how Morneau got those votes.

And a 6th for Jeter by some voter is just illogical.

BigDogsHunt
11-21-2006, 04:55 PM
A-Rod, don't winners get to vote??????:lol:

:sidelol:

Arod's Ballot:

1) Arod
2) Arod's Mom
3) Babe Ruth
4) Tom Hicks
5) Nomar
6) Jeter

Ray Finkle
11-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Sure, that was pointed out, the problem is no Arm (SP or RP) should win MVP. Thats what Cy Young and Relief Man awards are for.

So while you could argue on the Yanks two seasons ago, Mo had a bigger team impact than Arod, Arod was the hitting/defensive MVP of the league.

This year, Mauer was that guy over Morneau...and Santana like Mo probably is the MVP of the Twins, just cant figure out how Morneau got those votes.

And a 6th for Jeter by some voter is just illogical.

That's your opinion that a pitcher shouldn't win an MVP award though, not a rule.

And I agree I'm shocked Morneau won it over Jeter or Mauer.

BigDogsHunt
11-21-2006, 04:59 PM
That's your opinion that a pitcher shouldn't win an MVP award though, not a rule.

And I agree I'm shocked Morneau won it over Jeter or Mauer.

Yeah, my opinion only.....certainly MVP's have been claimed by Arms in the past. Just think its silly when it happens....but using it as a point about Mo vs. Arod....or Santana vs. Mauer or Morneau.

MikeO
11-21-2006, 05:08 PM
I don't have a problem with it. He had a good season.

Congrats!

Phinz4Life
11-21-2006, 05:57 PM
For those curious about the guy who voted Jeter in sixth place:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=100356

phunwin
11-21-2006, 06:20 PM
:lol: Morneau wasn't even the most valuable Minnesota Twin! And if you count Johan Santana, he's not even the SECOND most valuable!

God, I love the MVP voting. People fuss and feud about it for a week, and a year from now, I bet 90% of people will have completely forgotten that Morneau won it. I know I will.

MikeO
11-21-2006, 07:03 PM

A voter from Chicago did that.

The "voter" was told by some catchers and pitchers that AROD was more clutch than Jeter this year and Jeter didn't deserve any MVP consideration (no joke, he seriously said this today on WFAN). So he based his vote on what those catchers and pitchers told him.

Im dead serious with this, I ain't making it up. That's this guy's story

Slappy8800
11-21-2006, 07:15 PM
jeter couldnt care less

http://dailyblabber.ivillage.com/entertainment/archives/2006/11/derek_jeters_in_7th_heaven_wit.html

MikeO
11-21-2006, 07:37 PM
jeter couldnt care less

http://dailyblabber.ivillage.com/entertainment/archives/2006/11/derek_jeters_in_7th_heaven_wit.html

That's the real MVP award!! :sidelol:

Ray Finkle
11-21-2006, 07:41 PM
That's the real MVP award!! :sidelol:

Well then it would be what Jeter's 5th or 6th one in the past 10 years or so? The guy does well for himself that's for sure.

Phins28
11-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Justin give the award to Jeter where it belongs!!!

Vertical Limit
11-21-2006, 08:48 PM
I don't have a problem with it at all. Personally, I would have considered Johan Santana.

Congrats to Justin.

unifiedtheory
11-21-2006, 10:28 PM
I'm happy for him, he's a good CANADIAN kid!

dob72
11-22-2006, 12:20 AM
thats all he should of got

dob72
11-22-2006, 12:23 AM
I don't have a problem with it. He had a good season.

Congrats!
i guess your many many many predictions of jeter having it in the bag were wrong :sidelol:

Majpain
11-22-2006, 12:41 AM
Hahaha EAT THAT! Goooo Twins! Here let me get a tissue box for you Jeter fans :lol:

Guys I'm only joking calm down.

RWhitney014
11-22-2006, 01:07 AM
All I'm going to say is that I called it. And that I only got two picks wrong. Not bad for the "worst column ever."

MikeO
11-22-2006, 05:22 AM
All I'm going to say is that I called it. And that I only got two picks wrong. Not bad for the "worst column ever."

Only two picks wrong????

You had SD vs Minnesota in the World Series. Neither made it out of the 1st round.

And you had Hoffman winning the CY YOUNG. That is 3 wrong right there.

You had Pujols winning the NL MVP.......Wrong again. That's 4!

You didn't even have Papelbon mentioned in the AL Rookie of the Year!!

That column was awful. http://www.finheaven.com/Commentary/Tropical_Flash/MLB_Season_Review_-_Awards_200610013487/

tylerdolphin
11-22-2006, 09:34 AM
thats all he should of got
Riiiiight......

SpurzN703
11-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Yankees cant seem to buy any type of win recently :sidelol:

RWhitney014
11-22-2006, 01:41 PM
Only two picks wrong????

You had SD vs Minnesota in the World Series. Neither made it out of the 1st round.

And you had Hoffman winning the CY YOUNG. That is 3 wrong right there.

You had Pujols winning the NL MVP.......Wrong again. That's 4!

You didn't even have Papelbon mentioned in the AL Rookie of the Year!!

That column was awful. http://www.finheaven.com/Commentary/Tropical_Flash/MLB_Season_Review_-_Awards_200610013487/

Two different columns, my friend. And I'll freely admit, my playoff picks sucked. S-U-C-K-E-D. Hoffman came in second. Papelbon didn't win ROTY, so he's irrelevant to the conversation. I nailed AL MVP, both Execs, both ROTYs, both MOTYs, my NL Cy and MVP both came in second. I think it was pretty good. But you'll deny the facts with your own opinion and pass the latter off as truth, so I'm ready for that.

Chavez Ravine
11-22-2006, 02:57 PM
Why should Jeter have been the front runner anyway. I never understood the arguement. It's pretty hard to have back 2 back mvp awards go to the same team but different players IMO.

GreenMonster
11-22-2006, 04:48 PM
i guess your many many many predictions of jeter having it in the bag were wrong :sidelol:

What Jeter didn't win.. Someone assured me of this a couple of months ago..

Buster Olney's column on why he thought Morneanu should have won the MVP to me is the best I have seen yet, from a guy that really follows the Yanks..

"Offense from No. 2 hitters like Jeter is great but not necessarily integral, not when you've got a $13 million guy hitting in front of you, a $15 million-a-year guy batting third, a $25.2 million player batting cleanup and a $17 million-a-year guy hitting fifth."

Jeter is great, I just don't think Most Valueable.

dob72
11-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Why should Jeter have been the front runner anyway. I never understood the arguement.
i'm surprised he even came in 2nd

djfresh47
11-24-2006, 12:36 AM
I think that Morneau deserved it. Although he was not as consistent the whole season as he was benched for a short period. With the years that Thomas, Santana, Mauer, Dye, Morneau, Ortiz, is it really that crazy to think that Jeter got a 6th place vote? Jeter didn't get robbed and a case could be made for a number of different players. What Mauer did as a catcher was amazing, but I think Morneau was more valuable. If defense was part of the equation than I think an arguement can be made but it isn't part of the equation for some odd reason.