PDA

View Full Version : Who should go to the BCS Title game

Cuban Dave 9
11-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Alright, I did a little bit of homework for this because this BCS stuff is driving me nuts :tantrum:

About Florida '96 (Florida losses to FSU then beats them for the Championship), well, if you knew your history, you would know that UF played in the SEC championship game and won. Not only that, but many of the top teams lost at the end of that year and it sprung Florida to #2 which them brought them to face FSU in a re-match (Which was a highly unlikely scenerio to begin with, but it happened). This is equivalent to this year if USC, UF, ND, AND ARK lose these upcoming games and conference runner-up, Michigan, gets in (I am sure NO ONE would have a problem if that happened).

What you have this year is a lot of deserving 1 lost team, and those in the SEC are tired of getting jobbed out of the Championship. It is sad that a system made by a member of the SEC keeps getting that conference screwed over.

So I suggest this, Standards for a Chmapionship Game bid that should be applied with these one loss teams:

1) Win your conference
2) Do not lose at home
3) Do not lose to an unranked team
4) Do not get your second loss

USC/ND and UF/Ark will eventually fall because of #4...UM falls because of #1...ND still falls because of #2...USC falls because of #3. Should UF lose to Ark, then yes, Michigan all the way because of the better loss than all the rest!

BUT, if UF beats FSU and the Hogs, how could you go against them?

Stitches
11-22-2006, 12:41 AM
How can you go against Boise State by your 4 standards?

FLOUNDER
11-22-2006, 01:07 AM
Boise State hasnt played anybody. They dont deserve a BCS bid

HysterikiLL
11-22-2006, 01:45 AM
So you pretty much created a system whereby the only remaining contender was UF? :chuckle:

In all seriousness, IMO, if UF beats Ark, they deserve to be in the Nat'l championship. I just wouldn't enjoy the big heads trying to fit through the doors of this place. :rolleyes:

Stitches
11-22-2006, 01:49 AM
Boise State hasnt played anybody. They dont deserve a BCS bid
They're still one of only 2 undefeateds. No one expected Rutgers to win as many as they did but they did it. Who's to say Boise state couldn't compete? Until they get the chance, you'll never know.

And if Boise State finishes undefeated, they will have exceeded the criteria that was presented. And I asked, with that criteria, how could you not put them in?

DonShula84
11-22-2006, 03:48 AM
The problem with your standards is that they were clearly made to exclude everyone but your team. Coincidence, I think not

Motion
11-22-2006, 07:16 AM
The problem with your standards is that they were clearly made to exclude everyone but your team. Coincidence, I think not

:lol:

I have an idea, why don't we wait 2 weeks and see where everyone stands? As hard as it is, it should make things alot clearer, hopefully. :D

Amars
11-22-2006, 08:05 AM

:lol:

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-22-2006, 09:59 AM
you can't make it so you have to win your conference to play for the title. there's a loophole involving the Big 10 where a team could finish 2nd without playing the team that wins the conference, yet still be considered by everyone to be the best team in the conference. i think maybe this can happen in the pac 10, too....

OSUDauby
11-22-2006, 10:06 AM
Alright, I did a little bit of homework for this because this BCS stuff is driving me nuts :tantrum:

About Florida '96 (Florida losses to FSU then beats them for the Championship), well, if you knew your history, you would know that UF played in the SEC championship game and won. Not only that, but many of the top teams lost at the end of that year and it sprung Florida to #2 which them brought them to face FSU in a re-match (Which was a highly unlikely scenerio to begin with, but it happened). This is equivalent to this year if USC, UF, ND, AND ARK lose these upcoming games and conference runner-up, Michigan, gets in (I am sure NO ONE would have a problem if that happened).

What you have this year is a lot of deserving 1 lost team, and those in the SEC are tired of getting jobbed out of the Championship. It is sad that a system made by a member of the SEC keeps getting that conference screwed over.

So I suggest this, Standards for a Chmapionship Game bid that should be applied with these one loss teams:

1) Win your conference
2) Do not lose at home

USC/ND and UF/Ark will eventually fall because of #4...UM falls because of #1...ND still falls because of #2...USC falls because of #3. Should UF lose to Ark, then yes, Michigan all the way because of the better loss than all the rest!

What about teams like Notre Dame who do not play in a conference?

OSUDauby
11-22-2006, 10:07 AM
So you pretty much created a system whereby the only remaining contender was UF? :chuckle:

In all seriousness, IMO, if UF beats Ark, they deserve to be in the Nat'l championship. I just wouldn't enjoy the big heads trying to fit through the doors of this place. :rolleyes:

Cuban Davie has no idea what I was talking about when I said a Florida bias.:shakeno::lol:

Cuban Dave 9
11-22-2006, 10:08 AM
How can you go against Boise State by your 4 standards?
5) Be in a BCS conference :tongue:

Cuban Dave 9
11-22-2006, 10:10 AM
What about teams like Notre Dame who do not play in a conference?
They win the Big One every year

Cuban Dave 9
11-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Of course I did! It's my arguement for my team

nyjunc
11-22-2006, 10:12 AM
I think it's up to 4 teams:

-USC if they win out
-UF if they win out and USC loses close to ND
-ND if they blow out USC
-Mich if USC loses close and UF loses.

Motion
11-22-2006, 10:17 AM

As if the doors haven't already been stretched by others. :lol:

OSUDauby
11-22-2006, 10:23 AM
They win the Big One every year

Which one is that?? Michigan? USC? A BOWL GAME?!?!

Stitches
11-22-2006, 10:28 AM
5) Be in a BCS conference :tongue:

Still, they may go undefeated unlike all the other teams. They should get a shot to prove thier worth if they win out.

OSUDauby
11-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Still, they may go undefeated unlike all the other teams. They should get a shot to prove thier worth if they win out.

Nope. If we let a team like Boise State in all that does is encourages teams to play weak games JUST TO BE UNDEFEATED, rather than proving their worth. If we didn't have a standard for schedules than teams would simply schedule Duke, Temple, D-1AA teams, etc....

Sure an undefeated season looks great on paper, BUT it is not saying much in volume.

Oboy
11-22-2006, 10:44 AM
I think it's up to 4 teams:

-USC if they win out
-UF if they win out and USC loses close to ND
-ND if they blow out USC
-Mich if USC loses close and UF loses.
Junc, you and I have very rarely agreed on just about anything... However, I think you probably hit the nail on the head here.

About CDave's idea... Truthfully you do have to eliminate teams by some method. You can make points for and against all one loss teams. The only point I see a problem with is the winning a conference bc of what FinKat and OsuD mentioned...

I think losing at home and losing to an unranked team should DEFINITELY be two of the criteria. I think if you are a NC team you would not do either. That would leave us with ND, Michigan and UF. Well Michigan killed ND, so you would have to have them over ND. So JUST UM and UF. IF UF wins out then they should get in bc they would have beaten 3 (current) top 25 teams. Where UM would have only beaten 2. Both would have lost to one top 5 team on the road...

Sounds pretty fair.

This of course, is quite premature bc UF still has two tough games left. ND and USC each play each other... so still a LOT can happen.

Stitches
11-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Nope. If we let a team like Boise State in all that does is encourages teams to play weak games JUST TO BE UNDEFEATED, rather than proving their worth. If we didn't have a standard for schedules than teams would simply schedule Duke, Temple, D-1AA teams, etc....

Sure an undefeated season looks great on paper, BUT it is not saying much in volume.

You argument for many teams has been win and your in, in regards to BCS controversy. Boise State has done nothing but win. Yea, they don't play in the strongest conference, but that doesn't mean that they can't be one of the best teams in the country, it just means they aren't as tested. I mean Boise State hasn't played any D-1AA teams, and in fact Boise State beat Oregon State earlier this season 42-14 on national television. What did USC do against Oregon State? Yea, they lost. Yet, USC is the team many want to see in the National Championship. That seems extremely unfair to me. Just as you said, win and your in. That's all Boise keeps doing.

Conferences like the WAC wouldn't be so weak if they weren't discluded from everything. You'd probably see a lot more parody actually.

OSUDauby
11-22-2006, 11:30 AM
You argument for many teams has been win and your in, in regards to BCS controversy. Boise State has done nothing but win. Yea, they don't play in the strongest conference, but that doesn't mean that they can't be one of the best teams in the country, it just means they aren't as tested. I mean Boise State hasn't played any D-1AA teams, and in fact Boise State beat Oregon State earlier this season 42-14 on national television. What did USC do against Oregon State? Yea, they lost. Yet, USC is the team many want to see in the National Championship. That seems extremely unfair to me. Just as you said, win and your in. That's all Boise keeps doing.

Conferences like the WAC wouldn't be so weak if they weren't discluded from everything. You'd probably see a lot more parody actually.

You are right, win your games and you are in. And my arguement has always been concerning BCS eligable teams...Florida, Michigan, Auburn, LSU, Wisconsin, etc.

Never have I said anything that would suggest that Boise State should just win out and get to go! In fact, earlier I said that Boise State is MORE deserving that Rutgers, WVU, and Louisville because of the reputation they have built up over the past 5-6 seasons. The have won more and lost less than any team in the Big East in the past 5-6 seasons, BUT should we reward BSU with going undefeated with a schedule ranked something near 100 our of 118?!?! Hell no. They should join the Pac 10 in that case.

Stitches
11-22-2006, 11:32 AM
You are right, win your games and you are in. And my arguement has always been concerning BCS eligable teams...Florida, Michigan, Auburn, LSU, Wisconsin, etc.

Never have I said anything that would suggest that Boise State should just win out and get to go! In fact, earlier I said that Boise State is MORE deserving that Rutgers, WVU, and Louisville because of the reputation they have built up over the past 5-6 seasons. The have won more and lost less than any team in the Big East in the past 5-6 seasons, BUT should we reward BSU with going undefeated with a schedule ranked something near 100 our of 118?!?! Hell no. They should join the Pac 10 in that case.

Thier schedule wouldn't be ranked so low had they lost to the teams they played. :wink:

Also, I would love if the Pac-10 invited them in, but I don't see that happening unless they want to start a championship game.

Edit: And my bad for taking your "win and your in" argument out of context. Didn't know you were only applying it to BCS eligible schools(schools from BCS conferences I mean).

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-22-2006, 11:32 AM
a team's success in recent history should have no affect on anything...

Bumpus
11-22-2006, 11:37 AM

Bite me.

OSUDauby
11-22-2006, 11:42 AM
a team's success in recent history should have no affect on anything...
You wouldn't think so....HOWEVER...it was discussed by Mark May, Herbie and others that indeed reputation is quite the unequatiable factor...much like the loss of S.O.S and quality wins that teams are still "measured" by. So....take it for what it's worth, I'll buy it.

OSUDauby
11-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Bite me.

Hahaha....I guess the fall back to earth still hurts! Man...where went all that Big East domination talk?!?!:lol:
And if you want to go back and check my predictions, I said that Lousville would beat WVU and lose to Rutgers. I also said Rutgers would lose 2 games this season and maybe the bowl game. For your sake and the sake of WVU, you'd better hope that I'm right coming here soon!

But, enjoy what ever non-BCS bowl WVU ends up in. I hear Detroit is B-E-A-utiful this time of year....:lol:

Motion
You wouldn't think so....HOWEVER...it was discussed by Mark May, Herbie and others that indeed reputation is quite the unequatiable factor...much like the loss of S.O.S and quality wins. So....take it for what it's worth, I'll buy it.

I buy that too, I don't think it should count for anything but I think its VERY obvious it does in certain cases.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
i heard an interesting comment from Chris Landry yesterday....he was wondering how many voters voted USC 2nd and Michigan 3rd because they just didn't want to see a rematch. so...let's say UF wins out and USC loses a game....would the voters vote UF over Michigan just because they think UF is better, or because they just don't want to see a rematch? it's interesting....

Stitches
11-22-2006, 11:51 AM
I buy that too, I don't think it should count for anything but I think its VERY obvious it does in certain cases.

*cough*Like in Boise State's case.*cough*

Motion
11-22-2006, 11:57 AM
*cough*Like in Boise State's case.*cough*

Actually I was thinking of the horse riders, not the horses. :wink:

Stitches
11-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Actually I was thinking of the horse riders, not the horses. :wink:

:tantrum:
But what have the Vandals done? :confused:

:tongue:

Cuban Dave 9
11-22-2006, 01:37 PM
Which one is that?? Michigan? USC? A BOWL GAME?!?!
I mean the Big One Conference man lol

Rafiki
11-22-2006, 02:48 PM
I think Boise State needs to be invited to the Pac 10 if they are ever to get to the National Championship. Regardless of their winning tradition and even if they by some miracle beat Texas in the Fiesta Bowl, the preseason rankings will doom them.

I have said in other threads that teams should invite Boise State to play them if they are sick of seeing them in a BCS bowl contention. But if they were to lose to Boise State it would be a huge loss, and if they were to win against them, it wouldn't be a big deal. So I think that teams would prefer to complain about Boise State rather than to actively gauge how good they really are.

Sad, but that's life.

Agent51
11-23-2006, 06:22 AM
I personally still feel the Wolverines should get the spot. They lost to the best team in the nation, and the game was close. If it were the other way aroud, and Michigan won, Ohio State would be the #2, no ifs, ands, or buts about it, so why isn't Michigan geting the same respect? I KNOW they are #2 right now, but all the "experts" keep saying USC. I think the media and the polls are obsessed with USC. This isn't the Leinart/Bush/White USC, this is the Dwayne Jarrett USC, which lost to OREGON STATE, which is UNRANKED. Strength of schedule aside, a loss is a loss, and a close loss to Ohio State is MUCH more impressive than a close loss to OREGON State. Besides, the "strength of schedule" thing is a joke, who decides what teams are hard and what teams aren't? It also doesn't take into account the teams playing that particular week, or if key players were injured, it just seems to go by the team on paper, assuming it performed 100%.

As far as Florida, they have a shot should they beat Arkansas, they are an SEC team after all, and that's a brutal conference, but what gets me about them is I don't think they are better than Michigan.

Notre Dame isn't even a thought for me because they lost to Michigan, which lost to OSU. Now no WAY should a team that has en equal record as an opponent it lost to get the nod over the team that beat them, that makes ZERO sense to me.

I honestly haven't followed a single bit of Arkansas football, so I can't fairly assses (lol, the profanity filter blocked out the word because it thought it was the swear, but I meant the "evaluate" meaning) their chances.

But back to the rematch. Not only do I think they are still the 2 best teams, but I think a rematch would be excellent not only for the potential of another great game (and the fact that the 2 best teams would be playing, which is how it SHOULD be), but for the fact that it would add MAJOR fuel to the intense rivalry. OSU obviously doesn't want that rematch, but I think thier trash-talkin' after the game was a bunch of BS since they BARELY survived that game, and recieved a GODSEND with that late personal foul. I for one am curious to see a rematch with the teams we EXPECTED, because neither of them seemed to play to their full potential and it was still a great game. Also, none of the other matchups really interest me. I think USC is overrated (and I'm sick of them being in the title game, lol), and I really don't see anyone else matching up with OSU. I think the game could be reminiscent of the Oklahoma blowout a few years back if anyone but Michigan gets in there. Michigan would provide everything this game needs, the great play, the rivalry, the backstory, the feeling of the game MEANING something, and most importantly, the 2 best teams in the country battling for the title.

That's just my take.

Brad528
11-23-2006, 12:46 PM
Michigan should go they only lost to the #1 team in the nation by 3 points. While USC lost to a bad team. Florida lost to a way overrated Auburn team who has two loses. I dont even know why there should be any discussion. Whether you win your conference or not should not make any kind of difference. You should not be penalized for having two great teams in one league. Plus Michigan has beaten two teams who's only lose was to them. While USC and Florida have only beaten multi lose teams.

Brad528
11-23-2006, 12:49 PM
I think the whole arguement that the SEC is much better then the Big Ten is a joke. I personally think that teams such as Penn State, Purdue, 1 loss Wisconsin, Iowa would give teams like Auburn,Tenn, Florida, Arkansas a great game and would have a good chance to win those games even on a so called down year for the Big Ten. It all just goes back to the preseason rankings which is a joke.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-23-2006, 07:33 PM
the preseason rankings are fine.

and auburn, UF and tennessee would completely steamroll over penn state, iowa and purdue, are you KIDDING me????

DonShula84
11-23-2006, 07:35 PM
I think the whole arguement that the SEC is much better then the Big Ten is a joke. I personally think that teams such as Penn State, Purdue, 1 loss Wisconsin, Iowa would give teams like Auburn,Tenn, Florida, Arkansas a great game and would have a good chance to win those games even on a so called down year for the Big Ten. It all just goes back to the preseason rankings which is a joke.

:sidelol:

HysterikiLL
11-23-2006, 08:51 PM

Iowa are that team that I watch and can't help but wish them to win, so long as they're not playing a team I like, but dude, they have sucked *** this year. Purdue? WTF...Penn State have sucked this season also.

Wisconsin are a legitimate team NEXT YEAR. I think PJ Hill will be a stud, but this season has been a product of some weird games. Auburn, Arkansas, Florida, Tennessee would roll them.

djfresh47
11-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Michigan should go they only lost to the #1 team in the nation by 3 points. While USC lost to a bad team. Florida lost to a way overrated Auburn team who has two loses. I dont even know why there should be any discussion. Whether you win your conference or not should not make any kind of difference. You should not be penalized for having two great teams in one league. Plus Michigan has beaten two teams who's only lose was to them. While USC and Florida have only beaten multi lose teams.

USC dominated Arkansas. If they win out I think they should get in. A rematch could spell the end of Lloyd Carr in Michigan IMO. If they get to play OSU again and he loses to Tressel again I think their will be alot of talk about firing him. I don't think he should be if that does happen but Tressel seems to have his number.

FLOUNDER
11-23-2006, 10:39 PM
I believe it should be Ohio State and Florida. Michigan had there chance and they couldnt pull it off. Give somebody else a chance

Brad528
11-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Iowa are that team that I watch and can't help but wish them to win, so long as they're not playing a team I like, but dude, they have sucked *** this year. Purdue? WTF...Penn State have sucked this season also.

Wisconsin are a legitimate team NEXT YEAR. I think PJ Hill will be a stud, but this season has been a product of some weird games. Auburn, Arkansas, Florida, Tennessee would roll them.
I agree that they have had bad years but they still have high levels of talent on all of those teams. I have watched most of the SEC teams this year and havent been anymore impressed with them then I have the Big Ten teams I watched. THe only difference was some were ranked and some were not. Florida has looked like **** in at least 4 games this season whether they won or not.

nyjunc
11-24-2006, 08:31 AM

The final score of the Mich-OSU game was misleading. It was a late TD to make it a 3 pt game, Mich never had the ball w/ a chance to tie or take the lead and most of that game OSU had a double digit lead. After OSU scored to tie it at 7 there wasn't a point in the game OSU wasn't in complete control.

Mich has beaten 1 ranked team(a vastly overrated Wisconsin team thanks to the Big 10 being so horrible) while USC has played a MUCH more difficult sched and has the same amount of losses. If USC wins out they definitely deserve it and will play OSU.

ganooch
11-24-2006, 11:05 AM
if USC wins out they are going to play Ohio State for the Championship.
Besides USC, IMHO Michigan is probably the only team that will play Ohio State tough.
Florida would get WAXED by Ohio State if they played.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
11-24-2006, 11:09 AM
no one would wax UF. :refuse:

Roman529
11-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Ohio State versus USC.

MikeO
11-24-2006, 05:22 PM
according to CBS they say its IMPOSSIBLE for Arkansas or ND to go even if they win out.

That its either USC, Mich, or Florida (not in any special order).

HysterikiLL
11-24-2006, 11:14 PM
I'd love to see Oregon St. play South Carolina in a bowl game, just to see if the commentators can keep a straight face for three hours whilst refering to the game as a 'metting between the Beavers and the 'Cocks'.

:chuckle:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/11/south20carolina1-1.jpg

Kdawg954
11-25-2006, 08:10 AM
Damn, tuff loss for Arkansas . . but this really hurts UF. I had them as an outside shot to the BCS game . . but them beating a 10-1 Arkansas teams would have been more impressive than a 10-2 ARkansas team. IMO, its down to USC and Michigan . . . if USC wins out, they probably get the nod . . but I don't think they will beat ND, and we will have a rematch of Ohio State and Michigan . .. which will be the biggest rematch maybe of all time in the BCS title game.

Martel
11-25-2006, 08:33 AM
Damn, tuff loss for Arkansas . . but this really hurts UF. I had them as an outside shot to the BCS game . . but them beating a 10-1 Arkansas teams would have been more impressive than a 10-2 ARkansas team. IMO, its down to USC and Michigan . . . if USC wins out, they probably get the nod . . but I don't think they will beat ND, and we will have a rematch of Ohio State and Michigan . .. which will be the biggest rematch maybe of all time in the BCS title game.

Oh you didn't hear?

SUPERPOWER-99
NEUTERED DAME- 11

Martel
11-25-2006, 08:51 AM
I gotta say that SC should go split squad and then play themselves for the title. Realistically that is the only way to decide who the true champ is.

Motion
11-25-2006, 12:54 PM

:yes: :(

Metal Panda
11-25-2006, 02:04 PM
My predictions for today:

all ranked teams lose.

USC and Notre Dame both forfeit to each other.

Michigan forfeits an early season game when it is discovered they used an illegal equipment manager.

Ohio State plays wake forest for national championshiop.

FinSinceBirth
11-25-2006, 02:08 PM
My predictions for today:

all ranked teams lose.

USC and Notre Dame both forfeit to each other.

Michigan forfeits an early season game when it is discovered they used an illegal equipment manager.

Ohio State plays wake forest for national championshiop.

:sidelol:

Cuban Dave 9
12-03-2006, 09:57 PM
bump bump bump

Crowder52
12-03-2006, 10:16 PM

1) Win your conference
2) Do not lose at home

Come on Cuban Dave, surely you remember UF was #3, not #2 heading into their bowl game vs FSU that year. #3 UF blew out #1 FSU, and #4 Ohio St barely beat #2 Arizona St (led by Jake the Snake Plummer) to give UF the title.

The presence of the four 1 loss teams at the end of the year was part of the impetus for the creation of the BCS.