PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Inquires About Saban

Motion
11-22-2006, 05:00 PM
The lack of a public pronouncement by the University of Alabama about the future of head football coach Mike Shula stems, at least in part, from the school's efforts to persuade Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban to take the job.

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/kscarbinsky.ssf?/base/sports/1164191028304200.xml&coll=2

ckparrothead
11-22-2006, 05:01 PM
Oh great. More of this. Crazy.

fiedlerfan
11-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Already a thread about this

Crypt Keeper
11-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Who would Wayne look for in the offseason to replace Saban if he decides to take the job?

ckparrothead
11-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Who would Wayne look for in the offseason to replace Saban if he decides to take the job?

Realistically? Bob Stoops, Pete Carroll...Ken Whisenhunt. Dom Capers would have to be a candidate because he can give continuity to our defense and if we can get someone that will straighten out the offense and has a better handle on personnel than Charlie Casserly...

Either way we'd be screwed, royally. It would be like when Ricky left suddenly.

Fins05:NewHope
11-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Oh great. More of this. Crazy.

whoa whoa whoa...hey i thought we could talk about anything we wanted....including possible coaching changes. I mean thats what you said in my thread...right?

FIN-IN-RI
11-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Realistically? Bob Stoops, Pete Carroll...Ken Whisenhunt. Dom Capers would have to be a candidate because he can give continuity to our defense and if we can get someone that will straighten out the offense and has a better handle on personnel than Charlie Casserly...

ugh....:barf:

Crypt Keeper
11-22-2006, 05:12 PM

Either way we'd be screwed, royally. It would be like when Ricky left suddenly.I would think Wayne would stay away from Stoops and Carroll if Saban actually does bolt after just two seasons. I bet it would turn him off to college coaches. Whisenhunt wouldn't be a bad choice.

FIN-IN-RI
11-22-2006, 05:13 PM
whoa whoa whoa...hey i thought we could talk about anything we wanted....including possible coaching changes. I mean thats what you said in my thread...right?

He;s just talking about the topic.. which is a ****ty one for us fin fans.. not that it can't be talked about, it just... sucks to hear it even though it will likely be moot by friday when Saban discredits it .

305TillIDie
11-22-2006, 05:13 PM
hes our Coach Alabama..stay away :tsk:

ckparrothead
11-22-2006, 05:14 PM

Who said we couldn't talk about it? I was lamenting the news, not the discussion.

FIN-IN-RI
11-22-2006, 05:15 PM
/me shudders

Imagine if Wayne promoted Mularkey.. uuughgghghgh

ckparrothead
11-22-2006, 05:15 PM
/me shudders

Ugh. I just threw up in my mouth.

Orlandophinfan
11-22-2006, 05:21 PM
Ugh. I just threw up in my mouth.

Oh good greef, me too

11-22-2006, 05:22 PM
/me shudders

Wayne is in the Recycled Garbage industry...ya never know.

11-22-2006, 05:25 PM
If for WHATEVER reason Saban left, there is only ONE coach i would love to see coach here. Bill Cowher, period end of discussion. The one thing Saban lacks that both Shula and Cowher have, is the ability to instill a little fear in the team, and the opponents they play. Good old fashion, steel jaws, and piercing stare, enough to make you poop your pants.

DolFan707
11-22-2006, 05:38 PM
I have been saying it for years. MIKE SHULA AS HEAD COACH OF MIAMI DOLPHINS!

ckparrothead
11-22-2006, 05:43 PM

Oh man. What was it someone said about Mike Mularkey? He looks a little more appealing now...

phinphanforever
11-22-2006, 05:46 PM
If for WHATEVER reason Saban left, there is only ONE coach i would love to see coach here. Bill Cowher, period end of discussion. The one thing Saban lacks that both Shula and Cowher have, is the ability to instill a little fear in the team, and the opponents they play. Good old fashion, steel jaws, and piercing stare, enough to make you poop your pants.

Any talk of Saban leaving this season, in my opinion, is just ridiculous. I'm not saying people can't talk about it; they can talk about the colour of their grandmother's underwear for all I care. He ain't goin' anywhere.
I'm not sure what you mean by " Saban lacks the ability to instill a little fear in the team, and the opponents they play". I think a lot of opponents, especially opposing offenses , have a lot of "fear" when they are playing the Dolphins. The more operative and appropriate word,when discussing the success of a coach, is respect. Any I think Saban has it in spades.

FinAtic8480
11-22-2006, 05:58 PM
Early in the year their was talk about him being contacted by Michigan state,when asked at a press conference.Saban said he was fully committed to the Dolphins and any talk of him leaving was ludacris.

Saban is not going anywhere

tonto_phin
11-22-2006, 06:02 PM
Jeff Fischer or a top coordinator

Saban did well with hiring assistants, but getting another college guy is playing with fire

ADDiKT
11-22-2006, 06:07 PM
If Nick Saban decides to go to college, he's is going to have his pick of the job he wants. I don't know that Alabama will be his first choice - but who knows? I'd be more worried about the University of Miami due to his not wanting to uproot his family again. He discussed how his family didn't like moving and so on and the Hurricanes would offer him the ability to stay "home". Having said all that, Nick Saban is not a quitter and there is lots to do in Miami (Dolphins). I would be very surprised if Saban left Miami without accomplishing anything after all you heard for years was that Saban was a Pro coach, coaching in college. He would have basically said that he failed. He is not a failure or a quitter.... Just my opinion...

Fresh
11-22-2006, 06:08 PM
Although extremely unlikely, if this were to happen, I'd be on the Stoops bandwagon!

EBMisfit
11-22-2006, 06:10 PM
If for WHATEVER reason Saban left, there is only ONE coach i would love to see coach here. Bill Cowher, period end of discussion. The one thing Saban lacks that both Shula and Cowher have, is the ability to instill a little fear in the team, and the opponents they play. Good old fashion, steel jaws, and piercing stare, enough to make you poop your pants.Back when the plug was pulled on Shula, I was sort of hoping that the Dolphins would have gone after Dungy instead of JJ, even if I knew that the Cowboy's recent SB victories and JJ's U of Miami connection made this highly unlikely. Not that I can claim that I really knew all that much about Dungy, but two things in particular raised question marks in my mind about JJ: first, much of his success in Dallas was based on the sheer ineptitude of the Vikes' FO in giving him so much in the Hershel Walker trade; and, second, he seemed too determined to run his offense, regardless of whether it best suited the Dolphins' players.

EBMisfit
11-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Oh man. What was it someone said about Mike Mularkey? He looks a little more appealing now...At least he didn't suggest Mike Ditka, especially since he's got a square jaw and all.:goof:

EDIT: Plus, I understand he's available.

GoonBoss
11-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Probably just "due dilligence" on the part of Bama

Shamboubou
11-22-2006, 06:14 PM
I dont think Nick would just pick up and leave, for a couple reasons. He waited for quite a while before choosing to come to the NFL. If he wanted to stay in college he would have done so. Another reason is that if he walked out on this team because of 1 bad season he would probably have a hard time getting back into the NFL if he ever wanted to. I think Saban is too proud to tuck his tail and run, he would rather prove his naysayers wrong and come out and win. I dont see him going anywhere.

GoonBoss
11-22-2006, 06:15 PM

:( Dear god...

11-22-2006, 06:21 PM

have you been laughed at for years as well? :sidelol: Mike Shula, more than likely, will NEVER be a NFL Head Coach.

LtDan
11-22-2006, 06:29 PM
Saban makes rookies cry....but he doesn't put fear in players...whatever

FinsNCanes
11-22-2006, 07:07 PM

You can..it's just stupid to talk about.

Roman529
11-22-2006, 07:27 PM
IS Alabama going to pay Saban $5 million a year? Nahhhhh.

SkapePhin
11-22-2006, 07:32 PM
ZERO chance that Saban bolts after this season..

Metal Panda
11-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Had Miami gone 1-15 and 2-14 in back to back years, you might think a pro coach might hang it up and go back to the college game.

But when you go 9-7 in your first year and turn the corner your second after a rough start, it doesn't make much sense. Why would you invest two years of your life to turn around a pro football team just to do it again?

Metal Panda
11-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Saban said he was fully committed to the Dolphins and any talk of him leaving was ludacris.

Ugh, when pop culture ruins people's spelling.

jlfin
11-22-2006, 07:56 PM
If Saban could be persuaded to take a step down into the college ranks again then good riddance. It would mean that deep down inside Saban does not think he has what it takes to be a successful NFL head coach. In essence, he would be throwing in the towel. He won't be a success for the Fins if he is not totally committed to winning.
Teams are a reflection of their coach. If Saban is a quitter then so too will his teams be and I wouldn't want him around anymore.

jlfin
11-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Ugh, when pop culture ruins people's spelling.

Agreed. The dumbing down of America.

downfield
11-22-2006, 08:45 PM
I would take Charlie Weis, that would be my candidate. I know he is locked up at ND for awhile, but I am sure you could get him with a buyout. Otherwise, we are screwed.

Finch83
11-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Had Miami gone 1-15 and 2-14 in back to back years, you might think a pro coach might hang it up and go back to the college game.

But when you go 9-7 in your first year and turn the corner your second after a rough start, it doesn't make much sense. Why would you invest two years of your life to turn around a pro football team just to do it again?

Exactly

It wouldnt make sense. Saban has built a great defense. Now if we can get the offense rolling...we'll be really really really GOOD!:dolphins:

weisdolphins
11-22-2006, 09:09 PM
if and only if saban leaves and i doubt he will i would like to see tressel [ohio state] get a chance

DonShula84
11-22-2006, 09:35 PM

Good lord would that test me being a fan of the Dolphins.

HysterikiLL
11-22-2006, 10:14 PM

Stoops is rumored to be looking for a HC job. But damn...not that I think Nick will jump ship, this would set us back a few years..

Celtkin
11-23-2006, 07:12 AM
Agent denies Saban to Alabama rumor (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/16080421.htm)

Nick Saban has not been contacted about becoming the football coach at the University of Alabama and he's not interested, according to Saban's agent, Jimmy Sexton, who refuted a published report Wednesday.

''It's just not true,'' Sexton said of a Birmingham News report that Saban had a contract offer from Alabama to replace Mike Shula.

''Ask him about it [after the Dolphins game against Detroit], but if you have to write about [it] you can write that he's happy in Miami,'' Sexton said.

The News cited unnamed sources saying Saban was to make a decision about the Alabama offer, and if he turned it down, Shula would be retained. Saban declined comment, but a Dolphins source also said Saban is not leaving the Dolphins.the football coach at the University of Alabama and he's not interested, according to Saban's agent, Jimmy Sexton, who refuted a published report Wednesday.

''It's just not true,'' Sexton said of a Birmingham News report that Saban had a contract offer from Alabama to replace Mike Shula.

''Ask him about it [after the Dolphins game against Detroit], but if you have to write about [it] you can write that he's happy in Miami,'' Sexton said.

The News cited unnamed sources saying Saban was to make a decision about the Alabama offer, and if he turned it down, Shula would be retained. Saban declined comment, but a Dolphins source also said Saban is not leaving the Dolphins.