PDA

View Full Version : PS3 meltdown

SirDrums
11-26-2006, 11:40 PM
I was in my local EB games picking up an extra controller for my xbox (not 360, havent made that jump yet) and got to talking to the manager about the PS3. I asked him if he had a chance to play with it and what was his thoughts. He said that they haven't had time to play it because the one the store was given burned up (he pointed to the display near the front of the store, the kind with a tv and the system behind a clear plastic case with the controllers poking out the font.) He said that the thing burned up in the first 7 hours it was in the store.

He also said that the system everyone saw in the case wasn't even the system that was burned up, the one in the case was a mock up, the real one was beneath the display in a vented area (was grey with holes punched out and both sides) he said the thing burned up even though they installed several fans in the case to keep it cool. He finished by saying Sony is no longer going to be a power house, at least for this generation.

Just thought I would pass this along. I thought it was an amazing conversation.

DeathStar
11-26-2006, 11:44 PM
Wii60!!!!!!!!!!!

whose with me???

Alex44
11-26-2006, 11:44 PM
Every system has problems at launch so its not that big a deal to me.

The only big deal about PS3 is the price.

finsrule84
11-26-2006, 11:47 PM

and the lies and the crappy games (at least for now)

SirDrums
11-26-2006, 11:48 PM

it was the , "we had extra fans in the case to keep it cool." comment that amazes me the most.

Scatman
11-26-2006, 11:58 PM
ps3 has only one problem.....but its a big(well actually kinda small), arrogant one: their boss, Ken Kutaragi.

I'll say it to the end..its playstations' Dave Wandsted.

Hes gona do the same thing to playstation that Wanny boy did to us.....sink us to the ground....then the repair time is gonna be long and hard.

Sony better acknowledge their problem and cut it while they can.

finfansince72
11-27-2006, 12:44 AM
Wii60!!!!!!!!!!!

whose with me???

I want a Wii, I could care less about the PS3, having a really nice comp I dont care about most consoles they arent any better than my comp. The Wii controller system looks really cool and innovative.

Chavez Ravine
11-27-2006, 12:57 AM
I want a Wii, I could care less about the PS3, having a really nice comp I dont care about most consoles they arent any better than my comp. The Wii controller system looks really cool and innovative.

Agree 100%

Majpain
11-27-2006, 02:21 AM
I rather have the Wii than the PS3. Right now the Wii looks sexy :lol:

DeathStar
11-27-2006, 02:31 AM

nintendo was smart to go in a diffferent direction...they will benefit immensely off it.

TheMageGandalf
11-27-2006, 03:39 AM
The Wii controller system looks really cool and innovative.

Played a bowling game at the local Circuit city here yesterday...

All I can say is ....damn...the graphics arent all that, but that control scheme man makes it really cool...

I am definitely getting a Wii because of the fact that it seems to draw you into the games more.

Wish they would've had the Zelda game to try out. I would've loved to slice and dice with a sword.

Bruzer
11-27-2006, 07:50 AM
nintendo was smart to go in a diffferent direction...they will benefit immensely off it.

Thats what I have been saying but I always get ripped for it lol.

Agent51
11-27-2006, 12:16 PM
I was in my local EB games picking up an extra controller for my xbox (not 360, havent made that jump yet) and got to talking to the manager about the PS3. I asked him if he had a chance to play with it and what was his thoughts. He said that they haven't had time to play it because the one the store was given burned up (he pointed to the display near the front of the store, the kind with a tv and the system behind a clear plastic case with the controllers poking out the font.) He said that the thing burned up in the first 7 hours it was in the store.

He also said that the system everyone saw in the case wasn't even the system that was burned up, the one in the case was a mock up, the real one was beneath the display in a vented area (was grey with holes punched out and both sides) he said the thing burned up even though they installed several fans in the case to keep it cool. He finished by saying Sony is no longer going to be a power house, at least for this generation.

Just thought I would pass this along. I thought it was an amazing conversation.

That would be useful info........IF it didn't come from a guy working at EB Games :shakeno:

They seem to bash every single new system out there. I have noticed a trend with their sales associates. Whatever is being said on the internet is what they will say. For example, soon after the 360 launched and I was in EB the guy was talking about how crappy it is, and it's got nothing but problems and he will never own one, and he really suggests the customers don't buy one (he honestly said that to me, although I didn't see him telling any customers "no" when they wanted to buy one). Said it overheats and fails and the games suck and it's noth worth $400 etc etc. Pretty much everything the internet was on fire about.

Fast-forward to right now and that SAME GUY works there (he's either the manager or the assistant manager) and 2 days ago I was in there and started talking to him about the PS3 and he basically spit out everything negative being said on the internet. Said "it's a joke of a system, $600 for no rumble feature and some stupid motion sensing control, plus it has no good games and doesn't support 1080p" etc etc, then he proceeded to tell me the PS3 is in trouble because it's already a year late AND it had a crappy launch while the 360 has a HUGE head start and had a great launch. WTF :confused: This is the same guy who slammed the 360 when it launched, now he's praising not only the system, but the launch too :shakeno:. He also went on to tell me about the Wii plus 360 combo being a MUCH better deal (gee, like all the internet talk, surprise surprise) and how awesome the Wii is with it's motion sensing remote. Now wait a second, the PS3 is crappy because the motion sesnign is a dumb idea but the Wii is awesome becasue the motion sensing is a great idea :confused: Yea, OK, go back to the internet message boards EB guy :shakeno:

Dol-Fan Dupree
11-27-2006, 12:45 PM
That would be useful info........IF it didn't come from a guy working at EB Games :shakeno:

They seem to bash every single new system out there. I have noticed a trend with their sales associates. Whatever is being said on the internet is what they will say. For example, soon after the 360 launched and I was in EB the guy was talking about how crappy it is, and it's got nothing but problems and he will never own one, and he really suggests the customers don't buy one (he honestly said that to me, although I didn't see him telling any customers "no" when they wanted to buy one). Said it overheats and fails and the games suck and it's noth worth $400 etc etc. Pretty much everything the internet was on fire about.

Fast-forward to right now and that SAME GUY works there (he's either the manager or the assistant manager) and 2 days ago I was in there and started talking to him about the PS3 and he basically spit out everything negative being said on the internet. Said "it's a joke of a system, $600 for no rumble feature and some stupid motion sensing control, plus it has no good games and doesn't support 1080p" etc etc, then he proceeded to tell me the PS3 is in trouble because it's already a year late AND it had a crappy launch while the 360 has a HUGE head start and had a great launch. WTF :confused: This is the same guy who slammed the 360 when it launched, now he's praising not only the system, but the launch too :shakeno:. He also went on to tell me about the Wii plus 360 combo being a MUCH better deal (gee, like all the internet talk, surprise surprise) and how awesome the Wii is with it's motion sensing remote. Now wait a second, the PS3 is crappy because the motion sesnign is a dumb idea but the Wii is awesome becasue the motion sensing is a great idea :confused: Yea, OK, go back to the internet message boards EB guy :shakeno:

Wow, that sounds a lot like the time I went to EB and the guy was talking about how stupid the Wii was and how the games they got for it always crash.

Dolphin1184
11-27-2006, 01:16 PM

Wow, you should have told the guy off on the lie. :shakeno:

Agent51
11-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Wow, you should have told the guy off on the lie. :shakeno:

Trust me, I wanted to tear into him, but I was just getting so annoyed and I didn't want to spend a half an hour in a real life video game arguement when it's already impossible to escape it on the internet, lol.

It just seems like EB trashes all new systems, and then praise them later. It really is like they just recite message board garbage, so basically they just recite lies and misinformation and fanboy rhetoric. The one guy praised the Wii to me for it's motion controller, after saying it was a dumb idea and PS3 was stupid for it, now I guess there are reports with some system problems with the Wii so they will change tune to whatever the message board rants are. They'd prolly be ranting that EB sucks (like all the message boards do) if they didn't actually WORK for them

Predaphin
11-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Do not underestimate Sony. They are a powerful company. I too agree that every system has problems at launch. But rest assure Sony will correct those problems.

Just like the PS2. When the original PS2 came out it was the huge system. I went through about 2 or 3 of those. They kept breaking down. The major problem would be that they wouldn't read my DVD discs or games that had DVD on them. Sony then came out with the slim version, and I never had a problem since. The EB games guy told me they had corrected all the issues with the original PS2.

So, in essence, Sony may and probably will have issues with the original PS3, but rest assured, they will correct them in the future and probably take over the next gen consoles as well.

I just purchased the XBox 360 and am enjoying it! But i will be buying a PS3 as well. Maybe not anytime soon, but as soon as all issues are corrected. In thge meantime, i'll continue to enjoy my 360! ;)

Phin-o-rama
11-27-2006, 03:48 PM
so ill wait till the ps3 slim comes out to buy one...woot!

SarahAnn
11-28-2006, 05:13 AM
Everyone I know with a PS3 have had no problems at all with it. After the overheating of the first PS2s i've been sure to ask about overheating. ALL have said they experienced no problems keeping it on for LONG (2-3 days) periods of time.

I dunno if what the manager said was true or not about the fans, but keeping a system in an enclosed space is stupid.

Brown42000
11-28-2006, 06:11 PM
The 360 had problems at launch too and they will fix the problems with the PS3 as they come out with more in the coming months and Sony will have a chance to fox the problems and they will fix the problems. One thing that I think is funny is how these people who work for EBGames suddenly become experts on the video game industry they just work at a video game store they have very little knowledge of how each company does on the video game front. Unless they spend their spare time looking up all the information on the web then they have no inside information.