PDA

View Full Version : Hey, comp nerds. Need some feedback on customized PCs.

FinsNCanes
11-27-2006, 12:17 AM
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz/1066/2MB Socket 775 Dual-Core CPU EM64T – 3 Year Warranty
Socket 775 Mainboard – Audio/GB LAN/USB 2.0/SATA/16x PCIe/Dual-Channel DDR2
Nvidia GeForce 7950GT 16x PCI Express - 512MB Video Card w/TV Out, Dual-Head & DVI
1GB PC5400/667 DDR2 Memory (2 pieces of 512MB for dual-channel support)
320GB 7200rpm 16MB Buffer SATA-300 Hard Drive
16X Dual-Layer DVD+-R/RW Drive
1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
Mid-Tower Case w/350Watt Power Supply and Front USB’s (Black or Beige)
Optical Mouse & Keyboard
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

The system above is the system I'm looking at. It's from a PC shop in my area and is listed at 1100 and that's with labor already in the price. I'm going to upgrade to a 1G video card maybe which will knock it up right under 1400. Thoughts? If you know anywhere on the net I could get some good deals I'd appreciate it.

Wildbill3
11-27-2006, 02:55 AM
so you're saying you are buying an extra video card then? that think supports SLI so that is really all you have to do. but if you are going for that bigga bang, you might want to consider more than a gig of ram.

oh! you are definately going to want a more powerful power supply, think 450 or up! go with brand name. those video cards will draw the juice.

FinsNCanes
11-27-2006, 10:11 AM
so you're saying you are buying an extra video card then? that think supports SLI so that is really all you have to do. but if you are going for that bigga bang, you might want to consider more than a gig of ram.

oh! you are definately going to want a more powerful power supply, think 450 or up! go with brand name. those video cards will draw the juice.

I'm not sure if I really should upgrade the video card. I mean..would it really be neccessary for todays games? I'm sure it would help out on the FPS a bit though. You think I should maybe just keep the video card at 512 (I assume that's plenty) and just get 2 gigs of ram to be safe? I know todays games suck down memory like a mofo. I believe the pc shop uses all brand names www.propcflorida.com (http://www.propcflorida.com) if anyone has the time ;p. Do you think the price is fair? My friend bought a computer from there but he has the AMD DUAL and I asked the guy the difference and he said the DUO is more up to date...does that make sense? Also, what do you prefer..AMD or Intel? I've always used Intel, but I remember back when I was into computers heavily (6 years ago) AMD was starting to become competetion.

Bruzer
11-27-2006, 10:27 AM
I use amd. I would wait on a getting a new graphics card until directx 10 cards are more stable since alot of next gen games will be using directx 10.

FinsNCanes
11-27-2006, 10:51 AM
I use amd. I would wait on a getting a new graphics card until directx 10 cards are more stable since alot of next gen games will be using directx 10.

I kind of have no choice though if I buy a computer. Good point though. I'll probably just stick with the 512 and save me $289 for the 1G. But..do you think the price of fair or do you know of somewhere that I can get it slight cheaper, or possible just buy the parts seperate (that's the best way isn't it?), the problem is I don't know what to look for anymore.

Bruzer
11-27-2006, 10:57 AM
Well building yourself will be the cheapest overall because of labor if you bought it from a premade one. Although you do need to do your research before buying. I personally build all my own computers I saved a good chunk of money which can be used towards later upgrade. I woudl suggest research maybe for about a week on building your own if you don't think you can do it then buy a premade.

Although im sure we will help you if you post what your going to order to make sure its compatible.

Newegg.com is where I made mine from becuase you can make a wish list and save it and then when its all setup just checkout the list.

As for taht computer its not a bad price actually for a prebuilt one. Since it includes labor.

Phin-o-rama
11-27-2006, 11:00 AM
As for taht computer its not a bad price actually for a prebuilt one. Since it includes labor.

thats what i was thinking....i mean building one you will save a bit of money...and make it exactly what you want. but it CAN be a pain in the ***.....no doubt.

and the best part is when you plug everything in and go to power it on for the first time and it doesn't do anything... :) then you get to troubleshoot it :sidelol: ....pain in the rear imo

mor911
11-27-2006, 11:03 AM
thats what i was thinking....i mean building one you will save a bit of money...and make it exactly what you want. but it CAN be a pain in the ***.....no doubt.

and the best part is when you plug everything in and go to power it on for the first time and it doesn't do anything... :) then you get to troubleshoot it :sidelol: ....pain in the rear imo
Don't forget the OS installation and drivers for all of your custom crap :hi5:

Bruzer
11-27-2006, 11:06 AM

That happened when I built my cousins computer what happened is we got a faulty cpu so we had to send it back in get a new one. Then his hard drive wasnt installing windows right so we had to get a new smaller one to hold the operating system. Now its finally working.

NewEra8
11-27-2006, 03:26 PM
I just bought a barebones system and threw money into it... worked out great...

Phinz420
11-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz/1066/2MB Socket 775 Dual-Core CPU EM64T – 3 Year Warranty
Socket 775 Mainboard – Audio/GB LAN/USB 2.0/SATA/16x PCIe/Dual-Channel DDR2
Nvidia GeForce 7950GT 16x PCI Express - 512MB Video Card w/TV Out, Dual-Head & DVI
1GB PC5400/667 DDR2 Memory (2 pieces of 512MB for dual-channel support)
320GB 7200rpm 16MB Buffer SATA-300 Hard Drive
16X Dual-Layer DVD+-R/RW Drive
1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
Mid-Tower Case w/350Watt Power Supply and Front USB’s (Black or Beige)
Optical Mouse & Keyboard
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

The system above is the system I'm looking at. It's from a PC shop in my area and is listed at 1100 and that's with labor already in the price. I'm going to upgrade to a 1G video card maybe which will knock it up right under 1400. Thoughts? If you know anywhere on the net I could get some good deals I'd appreciate it.
Looks like a good setup, especially the video card. I do remember reading an article about putting 7950 in SLI though, and apparently you have to make sure that your mobo has enough room for it to fit for SLI.

One suggestion I might make, is getting a hold of another GB of RAM. Only having 1GB means that when you crank settings up on many games out there, the RAM could be a bottleneck. Your CPU, GPU, and such are high end, so you want a decent amount of memory in there. I have 2GB in this machine and it really comes into play when playing games like Battlefield 2 and such.

FinsNCanes
11-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Gnarly..

Thanks for all the input.

You guys out there prefer AMD or Intel? I was thinking of going AMD just because I've always used Intel, and..from what I understand AMD is better for gaming.